HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Ed Jovanovski

Old
06-04-2010, 10:15 PM
MarkMM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
If we could also sign Hamhuis, I'd pill the trigger on this deal for sure. Wouldn't mind seeing both Bieksa and Obrien gone. Adding Jovo + Hamhuis, both players that PK would be huge. Then Jovo and Salo come off the books in 2011 and we go shopping.
With my reading of the math, we could get Jovo, but not Jovo and Hamhuis, even if we dump Bieksa, O'Brien and Bernier.

MarkMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:25 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
If we could also sign Hamhuis, I'd pill the trigger on this deal for sure. Wouldn't mind seeing both Bieksa and Obrien gone. Adding Jovo + Hamhuis, both players that PK would be huge. Then Jovo and Salo come off the books in 2011 and we go shopping.
I'm sure we could re-sign Jovo for cheaper but as good as Salo is he's just injured way to damn much. I know Jovo get injured a lot too but Jovo is a game changer Salo isn't but he is a good top 4 D.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:12 PM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
Just my opinion, but yes absolutely. He's a firey guy and he would've had some great battles with Buf, Pronger has pretty much shut Byfuglien down.
I have to strongly disagree here...

He may, or may not still be 'fiery', but Jovo has no physical aspect to his game whatsoever anymore.

Around the time of his last yr in Vancouver, he gave up on that part of his game.

People think he is a physical guy with some skill, but that is based upon how he used to play the game, not how he plays the game today.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:33 AM
petrishriekandgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Speak for yourself. I've always lamented letting Jovanovski go the way we did...I would have rather done what it took to retain him and let Naslund good, TBH.

Jovanovski is certainly capable of playing defense first, it depends on how the coach decides to utilize him. But with that said, his offensive skill usually dictates an offensive role, and that's not the type of defensemen we need--one who plays a set role to a T. We need a guy who can fluidly shift from one end to the other(a la Niedermayer) or a defense-first defensemen(Mitchell/Hamhuis).

I love Jovanovski, would welcome him back, and I'm not even that concerned about his salary. My concern is just that he's not what this team needs at this time.
Here here... Jovo is the one player I see that I HATE to see in another uniform. His heart, passion and commitment to his teammates were above and beyond in Vancouver.

I would welcome him back in a mili-second.

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Here here... Jovo is the one player I see that I HATE to see in another uniform. His heart, passion and commitment to his teammates were above and beyond in Vancouver.

I would welcome him back in a mili-second.
Not next season as Jovo carries a cap hit of $6.5 million and he has a NTC. That cap hit does not work plus it would cost assets to obtain him.

And after next season depending upon what discount he is willing to sign for in 2011-12 possibly but I would think that Phoenix would match whatever Vancouver might be willing to pay him as UFA.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:54 AM
petrishriekandgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Not next season as Jovo carries a cap hit of $6.5 million and he has a NTC. That cap hit does not work plus it would cost assets to obtain him.

And after next season depending upon what discount he is willing to sign for in 2011-12 possibly but I would think that Phoenix would match whatever Vancouver might be willing to pay him as UFA.
Agree about next season as well... after that though, I'd love to have him back. Also... don't you mean Winnipeg would match?

Old
06-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Kagee*

Just like Chara better to wait to acquire his rights prior to July 1st, 2011.

However most I'd assume would want Chara instead, and then MG can offer a nice, solid $40 million dollar 6 year contract to finish off his career here.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Passthedonuts

Jovo had no interest in waiving his NTC when Phoenix was scraping at the bottom of the barrel, now that they are ready to potentially contend why would he leave now?

He is a big part of the team's veteran core, has played much better under Tippett and is very settled in the Phoenix area. I don't imagine he has any interest in leaving, nor would Phoenix have any interest in moving him.

Passthedonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:53 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthedonuts View Post
Jovo had no interest in waiving his NTC when Phoenix was scraping at the bottom of the barrel, now that they are ready to potentially contend why would he leave now?

He is a big part of the team's veteran core, has played much better under Tippett and is very settled in the Phoenix area. I don't imagine he has any interest in leaving, nor would Phoenix have any interest in moving him.
Our golf courses can't hold a candle....

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Agree about next season as well... after that though, I'd love to have him back. Also... don't you mean Winnipeg would match?

I thought it would be Hamilton.

Old
06-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Jovo, Cooke, Cloutier, even Morrison, really....for all their technical flaws, all those guys made it real easy to believe they bled for this team.

I miss that.

Old
06-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Jovo, Cooke, Cloutier, even Morrison, really....for all their technical flaws, all those guys made it real easy to believe they bled for this team.

I miss that.
The problem with Cooke was that other guys on the Canucks were forced to bleed for his antics. If there is one ex-Canuck I will never miss it is Matt "The Turtle" Cooke. Gutless is a kind description. I abhorred his game while he was Canuck and was never happier than when he was traded.
Quote:
Perhaps the last straw for Cooke as a Canuck occurred Nov. 8, 2007 in the Saddledome. In the second period of a 3-2 Vancouver win, Cooke ran Daymond Langkow into the boards and put the Flames centre out of the game. (Sound familiar?) Dion Phaneuf made a beeline for Cooke, who was typically taking refuge behind a cluster of bodies, and Mattias Ohlund wound up entangled with Phaneuf in the melee.

Here's how hockeyfights.comdescribes Phaneuf's subsequent pummelling of Ohlund, who was among the most important Canuck players at the time:

"Ohlund throws two rights and a body shot. Phaneuf ties Ohlund up and then connects with three straight lefts. Ohlund misses with a right cross. They exchange short rights before Phaneuf unleashes a flurry of eight unanswered uppercuts and overhand rights."

Happily for Ohlund, he survived. But you can bet head coach Alain Vigneault and assistant Rick Bowness were appalled at seeing one of their top defencemen having to fight another of Cooke's battles.

"That's why Matt Cooke is no longer with this team," said Canucks tough guy Darcy Hordichuk, who wasn't a Canuck then but has obviously heard the story.
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/C...#ixzz0q0icjcff

Old
06-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

^ There were quite a few stories about how much Cooke's teammates despised him. He was known as a coward (and rightfully so).

I always disliked Cooke for this reason. I used to take major flack from posters that loved the guy and didn't understand how his type of behaviour can hurt a locker room. I used to recieve threats on CDC from some broad who claimed to be his cousin or aunt or something - pretty much death threats - every time I said something negative about him.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 03:54 PM
MarkMM

Quote:

No disrespect to Winnipeg, but in all seriousness, if Winnipeg does get the franchise, I have got to believe this will make it easier for us to get any of their UFA's that are available. How do I be polite about this, but, um, I think Vancouver might be a more attractive location to live in than Winnipeg.

In all seriousness, I'm not trying to be a jackass about Winnipeg, but honestly...

MarkMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 04:00 PM
petrishriekandgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The problem with Cooke was that other guys on the Canucks were forced to bleed for his antics. If there is one ex-Canuck I will never miss it is Matt "The Turtle" Cooke. Gutless is a kind description. I abhorred his game while he was Canuck and was never happier than when he was traded.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/C...#ixzz0q0icjcff
Yup... was completely tired of his lack of class and was happy to see him go. Now he, and not Linden, Bure, Naslund, Ohlund, Jovo, McLean, Lumme etc. has a Cup ring.

Seriously... Kharma means what?

Old
06-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Yup... was completely tired of his lack of class and was happy to see him go. Now he, and not Linden, Bure, Naslund, Ohlund, Jovo, McLean, Lumme etc. has a Cup ring.

Seriously... Kharma means what?

Well look at how many Cup rings Marcel Dionne has....sometimes things are just beyond the control of an individual player.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 07:25 PM

but cookie did to markov this year what bert did to macinnes. we need that.

no current canuck has shown they are able to put a vital opposing player out for a series.

26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
I don't like much of what Cooke does either but it's hard to argue against a "if he's good enough for Crosby..." reality.

Old
06-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
I don't like much of what Cooke does either but it's hard to argue against a "if he's good enough for Crosby..." reality.
Given the dreck Crosby has been saddled with on the wings, that is not saying all that much.

Old
06-05-2010, 07:59 PM
petrishriekandgo

Quote:
Not saying he's not a useful player... just a classless one. Everyone saw how the Pens reacted to his hit on Savard, I doubt many people have much respect for him in that locker room either.

Old
06-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Kid Canuck*

haha special ed, no thanks

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
He's not infallible. Neither is Gretzky. Wasn't Gretzky the guy who selected Bertuzzi for Team Canada in 2006.

Old
06-05-2010, 08:04 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Nobody likes Cooke, that is sort of the point with this sort of player.

Jovo was good here, in that era. Losing him was a drag. One thing about him, was that he could clog the crease at one end and clear it at the other. This sort of guy would have helped a lot this last season, but why bother?

Sorry, that's trolling. Accurate, but trolling.

If the Canucks really want to move forward it would be easier winning with a GM, rather than in spite of him. Until Gillis drops his wierdness or the Canucks drop him they won't move forward. Given that, I expect Gillis to continue his policy of signing the aged heroes of yesteryear. Why not Jovo? Or Niedermayer? I'd like to see Blake.

It won't matter.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
If the Canucks really want to move forward it would be easier winning with a GM, rather than in spite of him. Until Gillis drops his wierdness or the Canucks drop him they won't move forward. Given that, I expect Gillis to continue his policy of signing the aged heroes of yesteryear.
This makes no sense at all lol

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Nobody likes Cooke, that is sort of the point with this sort of player.
The point is, many of his *teammates* don't think much of him either. I doubt it bothers Cooke though - after all, he doesn't have a problem hiding behind a one-eyed player and let him fight his battle for him.