HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Alexander Svitov returning to the NHL?

Old
06-03-2010, 08:20 PM
123jp

vCash: 500
Alexander Svitov returning to the NHL?

Found this while skimming through some mock drafts. Courtesy of a site called "NHL FanHouse". Don't know a thing about them , or the author. Offering it here for entertainment purposes only.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/06/03/s...ng-nhl-return/

The article does say that Svitov, as a free agent, could sign with any team. My understanding is his status is as a "defected" player (in the contractual sense, not politically) and the CBJ retain his rights. He is still listed on the "in the system" roster at the CBJ website.

123jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Sveets comes back home and we can kick Pahlsson and his bloated contract to the curb? Yes please. A fourth line of DD-Sveets-Boll would be a sight to see

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Sveets comes back home and we can kick Pahlsson and his bloated contract to the curb? Yes please. A fourth line of DD-Sveets-Boll would be a sight to see
Easy there tiger. Svitov is remembered more for 1 fight than anything else he did on the ice, which wasn't much. He brought nothing offensively, and defensively he's nowhere near Pahlsson. It's best if Sveets never comes back.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Easy there tiger. Svitov is remembered more for 1 fight than anything else he did on the ice, which wasn't much. He brought nothing offensively, and defensively he's nowhere near Pahlsson. It's best if Sveets never comes back.
For once, I must agree with TW.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Doug19

I disagree. He started to look pretty good at the end of the 06 season. Just because you remember him for one fight doesn't mean everyone else does.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Just because you remember him for one fight doesn't mean everyone else does.
Yeah. I don't even know what that one fight is. I remember Svitov for being very good defensively (he was excellent at taking away pucks from players trying to break out of their zone) and being physical/intimidating in general. At least in his last season. Offensively, of course, he wasn't great.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Pahlsson and Svitov working together, though one would have to move to the wing.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
It was easy for anybody with a pulse to look good on the 2006-07 squad. Svitov had a pulse.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Yeah. I don't even know what that one fight is. I remember Svitov for being very good defensively (he was excellent at taking away pucks from players trying to break out of their zone) and being physical/intimidating in general. At least in his last season. Offensively, of course, he wasn't great.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Pahlsson and Svitov working together, though one would have to move to the wing.
You don't remember the fight??? lol it's the fight that keeps me from taking Duncan Keith seriously! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppdiYBV-uG4

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
You don't remember the fight??? lol it's the fight that keeps me from taking Duncan Keith seriously! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppdiYBV-uG4
Oh, what I meant was I didn't remember one fight standing out above all the rest--especially one that served as some singular moment of usefulness in Svitov's existence. I loved all of Svitov's fights, either way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrigno View Post
I still fail to understand why 90% of this board sees Brassard on the same level as ..... oh, Jiri Novotny
Been pretty amazed about that as well.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:04 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I will have to show up to a game in my Svitov Avangrad Omsk Jersey.

Svitov was much better than 1 fight. He was a very sound defensive player, and he will get you 20-30 points a year....more than Pahlsson gave us this year. I would have no problem bringing Svitov back for 1 - 1.5 million/yr.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/s...vitov&limit=20

News reports Svitov is comming back to the NHL....nice

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:15 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post

Svitov was much better than 1 fight. He was a very sound defensive player, and he will get you 20-30 points a year....more than Pahlsson gave us this year. I would have no problem bringing Svitov back for 1 - 1.5 million/yr.

I would make sure that Svitov knew that coming back wouldn't guarentee that him a spot on the Jackets Roster, that he would have to work harder than he ever has to make it. And this is coming from a Svitov Fan.

I would love to see him back if he were more polished, absolutely, but he's need to earn it. I'm not as bitter about his departure as some on this board, but the saying "We won't be fooled again" fits the bill here.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:22 AM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I would make sure that Svitov knew that coming back wouldn't guarentee that him a spot on the Jackets Roster, that he would have to work harder than he ever has to make it. And this is coming from a Svitov Fan.

I would love to see him back if he were more polished, absolutely, but he's need to earn it. I'm not as bitter about his departure as some on this board, but the saying "We won't be fooled again" fits the bill here.
I think we lose our rights to him July 1.....which he may hold off until then to declare himself "comming back", so he doesn't have to deal with us, period.

I agree though, he has more experience, has played with an amazing player in Jagr for the last 3 years now, and is more mature. I think he could do a lot of good on this team, and I would much rather have Svitov than Boll, if it boiled down to that.

I agree though for him to get a spot on any NHL roster, he is going to have to work amazingly hard, and show that he deserves to play.

Old
06-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

I was not a fan of Svitov when he was here before, but I'm trying to figure out who'd be a better fourth-line center than Alex from among the current options. And I can't come up with any.

Old
06-04-2010, 10:37 AM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
I was not a fan of Svitov when he was here before, but I'm trying to figure out who'd be a better fourth-line center than Alex from among the current options. And I can't come up with any.
Why were you not a fan of him? he just needed time to grow up

Old
06-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Why were you not a fan of him? he just needed time to grow up
His play = meh.

Not sure where you're going with "needed time to grow up." I totally backed his decision to head home - and not because I wanted to be rid of him.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
His play = meh.

Not sure where you're going with "needed time to grow up." I totally backed his decision to head home - and not because I wanted to be rid of him.
despite his decent last season here, he never seemed comfortable in the NHL or AHL... I think his time in Tampa stung him deep, he was always a real quiet guy in Columbus and only made noises in his last season, Unfortunately, he was bad choice if anybody was hoping he'd help get Zherdev's head on straight.

I like the guy and agree he is the best option we would have at fourth line center right now, but he was damaged goods coming from Tampa.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Can anybody enlighten me as to his status. What I have found is he was signed as a RFA to a two contract 7/02/2007 and was then suspended by the team 9/13/2007 for failure to report. I also think I remember reading that he was tendered a qualifying offer last year so the club would retain his rights but I am not knowledgeable enough about how a suspension affects the status of a player. Radulov was also suspended by the Preds.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:13 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

If he comes back we should let Boll go.

I've never been a huge fan, but, in all honesty, he's better than what we have had at center on the fourth line. If he can provide some energy along with some younger, cheaper guys and grind down other teams, I won't be horribly bothered by his return.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Matt Foley
Blue Jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I've never been a huge fan, but, in all honesty, he's better than what we have had at center on the fourth line. If he can provide some energy along with some younger, cheaper guys and grind down other teams, I won't be horribly bothered by his return.
I've never been a big fan of his either, but when it comes to the Blue Jackets and centers, beggars can't be choosers.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:48 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Can anybody enlighten me as to his status. What I have found is he was signed as a RFA to a two contract 7/02/2007 and was then suspended by the team 9/13/2007 for failure to report. I also think I remember reading that he was tendered a qualifying offer last year so the club would retain his rights but I am not knowledgeable enough about how a suspension affects the status of a player. Radulov was also suspended by the Preds.
I believe we lose his rights on July 1

Old
06-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Matt Foley
Blue Jackets

Quote:
I believe we lose his rights on July 1
Sounds like that is the case. If it is, I don't think we'll be seeing him back here, as I think Howson has bigger fish to fry than adding a fourth-line center.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 05:56 PM
teddygmr

wouldn't Svitov be obligated to fullfill his 2 year contract with Columbus?
Isn't that the situation with Radulov with Nashville?
I think Svitov would compete very well for Columbus' 3rd line center job.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 06:01 PM
BluejacketNut

I'd take Sveets over Boll a million times over

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 06:09 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
wouldn't Svitov be obligated to fullfill his 2 year contract with Columbus?
Isn't that the situation with Radulov with Nashville?
I think Svitov would compete very well for Columbus' 3rd line center job.
No way Svitov plays over Pahlsson. Not a chance. He's a fourth liner, nothing more.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
(Assuming he would be a UFA)

If Svitov were to return to the NHL with a team other then the Jackets, I'll be booing him upon his return. When Svitov left, the consensus was he did it because of a family situation. The Jackets didn't put up much of a fight to enforce the contract, so I assumed the family reason was correct.

If he comes back at the same time his Columbus rights expire, I'll be pissed. At least we got something back for Foote...