HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Alexander Svitov returning to the NHL?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2010, 08:35 PM
  #26
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,817
vCash: 500
I wasn't all that educated a hockey fan in 06-07 as compared to today, but all I remember seeing out of Svitov that year were penalties & fights. Did I miss something?

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:19 PM
  #27
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I wasn't all that educated a hockey fan in 06-07 as compared to today, but all I remember seeing out of Svitov that year were penalties & fights. Did I miss something?
I remember a big body in front of the goalie on our power plays... He is what he is, a big frame with some skill that plays with emotion.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:57 PM
  #28
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
I remember him as lazy and unwilling to put in the extra effort to really make something out of the physical gifts he was given. Good bye, good riddance, is my view of him.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:09 PM
  #29
plong123
Litebrite Stinger
 
plong123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Stretchrunston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,755
vCash: 500
I don't understand how a guy with a contract can just sit out two years and then be a free agent. If you are signed, shouldn't your rights be owned by that team until you've played the duration of your contract? Maybe I'm not understanding a key element of the situation, but it doesn't seem right.

Because love him or hate him, he should be our asset to trade!

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:15 PM
  #30
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
I don't understand how a guy with a contract can just sit out two years and then be a free agent. If you are signed, shouldn't your rights be owned by that team until you've played the duration of your contract? Maybe I'm not understanding a key element of the situation, but it doesn't seem right.

Because love him or hate him, he should be our asset to trade!
The contract apparently expired somewhere along the line. I'm not sure why or how that's supposed to work.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:22 PM
  #31
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I wasn't all that educated a hockey fan in 06-07 as compared to today, but all I remember seeing out of Svitov that year were penalties & fights. Did I miss something?
He's a physical force, and a pretty mean sob. He's what we need Boll to be

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:11 PM
  #32
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,101
vCash: 500
Both he and Brassard wore #16. You know what that means...

We need to find a mad scientist who can combine both of them -- the skill and hockey sense from Brassard with the fight and emotion of Svitov. Bwahaha... <maniacal laugh>

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:17 PM
  #33
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Columbus
Country: Colombia
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I wasn't all that educated a hockey fan in 06-07 as compared to today, but all I remember seeing out of Svitov that year were penalties & fights. Did I miss something?
I liked Svitov, but TW is correct in saying that we overrated.

He's a 4th line + center who's slower then molasis (his game is more effective here then in Russia).

But since he can fight, he's Jesus. You know how Milan Lucic isn't more then a 3rd liner Plus, but because he can fight, he's worshiped? Same thing here.

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:21 PM
  #34
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Both he and Brassard wore #16. You know what that means...

We need to find a mad scientist who can combine both of them -- the skill and hockey sense from Brassard with the fight and emotion of Svitov. Bwahaha... <maniacal laugh>
That one of them has to become #61?

Actually, I've heard that Svitov was going to switch to #15 for the ensuing season. Maybe he and Dorsett could fight it out.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:19 AM
  #35
Friedrich
This is not my hat.
 
Friedrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salzburg
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,790
vCash: 500
It doesn't seem right to me either that Svitov would be a UFA. Like Filatov, for example, isn't burning NHL contract years in Russia, is that not true?

Like someone else said, it would make sense, (and also the way I understood it to be) if the contract went on suspension, and if that player were to ever come back, they'd have to honor the contract that they opted out of, or they couldn't come back. Doesn't make sense to me otherwise. Why would they let players flee and not have to honor contracts from which they fleed?

It should be to honor the contract that you signed or don't come back.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 05:44 AM
  #36
RBarRegular
Registered User
 
RBarRegular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Senecaville
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
It doesn't seem right to me either that Svitov would be a UFA. Like Filatov, for example, isn't burning NHL contract years in Russia, is that not true?

Like someone else said, it would make sense, (and also the way I understood it to be) if the contract went on suspension, and if that player were to ever come back, they'd have to honor the contract that they opted out of, or they couldn't come back. Doesn't make sense to me otherwise. Why would they let players flee and not have to honor contracts from which they fleed?

It should be to honor the contract that you signed or don't come back.
This. Well said.

RBarRegular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:41 AM
  #37
Xoggz22
Registered User
 
Xoggz22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 4,201
vCash: 500
I'll see if I can find it but I was thinking that at the end of his CBJ contract (the one he didn't fulfill) he became a RFA. At that time I don't think he was qualified by Columbus making him a UFA.

I emailed Portzline on this a year or so ago wondering if he would ever come back to Columbus and, in short, the response was - "not a chance!".

We can dream, hate or be meh....I'm guessing he's played his last days in Columbus. Too bad since we have no 4th line center and he offers something we could use (toughness, big body and he was defensively responsible - just not fast)

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:54 AM
  #38
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I'll see if I can find it but I was thinking that at the end of his CBJ contract (the one he didn't fulfill) he became a RFA. At that time I don't think he was qualified by Columbus making him a UFA.

I emailed Portzline on this a year or so ago wondering if he would ever come back to Columbus and, in short, the response was - "not a chance!".

We can dream, hate or be meh....I'm guessing he's played his last days in Columbus. Too bad since we have no 4th line center and he offers something we could use (toughness, big body and he was defensively responsible - just not fast)
I don't care really one way or another if he comes back but if he is indeed a RFA and is signed by another team then draft choices could be coming our way. I am pretty sure he was given a qualifying offer last year when his two year came last year up specifically for this possibility. The question is does that qualifier only cover the single year?

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:07 AM
  #39
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Jaxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,071
vCash: 500
Since Svitov was qualified last summer as an RFA, then the term of the contract obviously elapsed. I agree that a player who leaves against the terms of the contract should be made to honor that contract if player chooses to return.

*From Rakers: Svitov's rights are still owned by the Blue Jackets. They qualified him last summer as a restricted free agent, not with any thought that he would return to Columbus but just to prevent him from returning with another NHL club. Can't say I blame them.
On July 1, Svitov will be free to sign with any NHL club, an unrestricted free agent. He will find suitors, to be sure, just not from Columbus.*


*From CBJ Website: Blue Jackets Suspend Center Alexander SvitovThursday, 09.13.2007 / 3:00 PM / News By Blue Jackets Staff - Writer COLUMBUS, OHIO – The Columbus Blue Jackets have suspended center Alexander Svitov for failing to report to training camp, club General Manager Scott Howson announced today.

Svitov informed the team in August of his decision to play for Avangard Omsk of the Russian Super League during the 2007-08 season. He signed a two-year contract with Columbus on July 2, 2007.*

Since the KHL and NHL don't have a transfer agreement (afaik), then a player can have one contract elapsing under suspension, while fulfilling another contract in a dfferent continent. Then be allowed to come back. The NHL is probably trying to be PC by allowing this. Hudler is another example.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:35 AM
  #40
cbj21
Registered User
 
cbj21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Shampoo land
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,519
vCash: 500
I was a Svitov fan. But if he won't be playing for the Jackets then I hope he stay home!!!

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:21 AM
  #41
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Since Svitov was qualified last summer as an RFA, then the term of the contract obviously elapsed. I agree that a player who leaves against the terms of the contract should be made to honor that contract if player chooses to return.

*From Rakers: Svitov's rights are still owned by the Blue Jackets. They qualified him last summer as a restricted free agent, not with any thought that he would return to Columbus but just to prevent him from returning with another NHL club. Can't say I blame them.
On July 1, Svitov will be free to sign with any NHL club, an unrestricted free agent. He will find suitors, to be sure, just not from Columbus.*


*From CBJ Website: Blue Jackets Suspend Center Alexander SvitovThursday, 09.13.2007 / 3:00 PM / News By Blue Jackets Staff - Writer COLUMBUS, OHIO – The Columbus Blue Jackets have suspended center Alexander Svitov for failing to report to training camp, club General Manager Scott Howson announced today.

Svitov informed the team in August of his decision to play for Avangard Omsk of the Russian Super League during the 2007-08 season. He signed a two-year contract with Columbus on July 2, 2007.*

Since the KHL and NHL don't have a transfer agreement (afaik), then a player can have one contract elapsing under suspension, while fulfilling another contract in a different continent. Then be allowed to come back. The NHL is probably trying to be PC by allowing this. Hudler is another example.
Thanks for the info. Kinda thought it was going to turn out that way but was hoping for some kind of compensation. The lack of transfer agreement and incidents like this are the reasons Russian prospects slip in the draft. GM's are a naturally cautious breed and stuff like this just reinforces that caution. C'est la vie.

At least he's a 3rd fourth line grinder and not a top six skill player....

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:07 AM
  #42
AyVee
Registered User
 
AyVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
(Assuming he would be a UFA)

If Svitov were to return to the NHL with a team other then the Jackets, I'll be booing him upon his return. When Svitov left, the consensus was he did it because of a family situation. The Jackets didn't put up much of a fight to enforce the contract, so I assumed the family reason was correct.

If he comes back at the same time his Columbus rights expire, I'll be pissed. At least we got something back for Foote...
Something most of us Avalanche fans resent our management for...

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 12:42 AM
  #43
Palinka
Registered User
 
Palinka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I wasn't all that educated a hockey fan in 06-07 as compared to today, but all I remember seeing out of Svitov that year were penalties & fights. Did I miss something?
Not a thing.

The reality is that Svitov simply didn't develop into much of anything outside of a largely undisciplined massive third-liner with much better skills. He got dealt a brutal hand by being pulled off the tarmac by the Red Army and then, upon arriving, having that shrieking banshee Tortorella "coaching" him.

Really, I feel sympathy for him more than contempt, but in pure hockey terms, he hasn't done much to lead one to believe that he'd be more now than he was in 2006.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 06:31 AM
  #44
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Due to the circumstances of his leaving, a lack of agreement between the KHL and NHL, and the clubby-ness of NHL owners and management, I predict Svitov will be made an example to all other players who think they can bolt from their team, hide out a year or two, and then slip back into the league. (Then again, I'm sure there's a slimy GM somewhere.)

Regarding his talent...
He was a first round draft choice of Tampa and didn't do well.
He played for us and didn't do that well.
He bailed on his team.
He wasn't that good a player in the KHL.
Why then would we want him back?

I'd sooner take Zherdev back.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:09 AM
  #45
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,819
vCash: 500
Cause he's a dominating physical force, something thing team sorely lacks

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:22 AM
  #46
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Due to the circumstances of his leaving, a lack of agreement between the KHL and NHL, and the clubby-ness of NHL owners and management, I predict Svitov will be made an example to all other players who think they can bolt from their team, hide out a year or two, and then slip back into the league. (Then again, I'm sure there's a slimy GM somewhere.)

Regarding his talent...
He was a first round draft choice of Tampa and didn't do well.
He played for us and didn't do that well.
He bailed on his team.
He wasn't that good a player in the KHL.
Why then would we want him back?

I'd sooner take Zherdev back.
I don't know much about the Tampa Situation other than to say that I've read more than one media report about how Tortella thought he was taking too long to develop and Tortella wasn't happy with this play. For a guy that wears his emotions on his sleeve (Torts), its pretty easy to see what probably happened.

The guy was damaged goods, emotionally, when he got to Columbus. he wouldn't do interviews his first season, and kept to himself. He began to come out of his shell in Syracuse and was a much more emotionally healthy player when he got back to Columbus. He played very well his final season here and was one of the lone bright spots. Yes, his talent never fully manifested itself at this level, but he did something a lot of these european draftees aren't able to do... find a niche if their talent doesnt carry them.

Yes, he left when he had a contract. However, he left at the beginning of the offseason, giving management enough time to find a replacement (Peca)

His KHL stats are better than his NHL stats. He's playing a game more suited to his strengths now. And as Sam mentioned, his game is more suited to the NHL.

I would want him back because, right now, there's no one on this team that would be better for a fourth line center position than him. The guy will fight and stand up for teammates, hit, play along the boards and is a fairly decent defensive forward.


Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 06-14-2010 at 07:39 AM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:06 AM
  #47
Double-Shift Lassé
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassé's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Cause he's a dominating physical force, something thing team sorely lacks
A physical force perhaps, but dominating?

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:58 AM
  #48
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly
 
PCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
There's no room for him in the bottom 6 and he's not an upgrade worthy of unseeding any player under an active contract.

Bottom 6 candidates:
Umberger - Filatov - Pahlsson - Dorsett
Boll - Murray - MacKenzie - Clark
Calvert - Sestito - Mayorov - Blunden


My best lines assuming we don't make a Torres-like acquisition to play up and down between our 2nd and 3rd lines.

Nash - Vermette - Voracek
Huselius - Brassard - Filatov
Calvert - Pahlsson - Umberger
Dorsett - MacKenzie - Boll

extra: murray, clark

I know that 2nd line looks suspicious. Lots of skill, a combined weight of 250lbs. But I think moving Filatov to the third woudln't work, and that Umby is put in a position to stand out on the 3rd, as well as balancing the line with the youngster Calvert. in a perfect world Brass will come back a bonafied BEAST and we won't be able to keep him off the 1st line with Rick, making the 2nd line more stable with the addition of Vermette.

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:47 AM
  #49
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
There's no room for him in the bottom 6 and he's not an upgrade worthy of unseeding any player under an active contract.

Bottom 6 candidates:
Umberger - Filatov - Pahlsson - Dorsett
Boll - Murray - MacKenzie - Clark
Calvert - Sestito - Mayorov - Blunden


My best lines assuming we don't make a Torres-like acquisition to play up and down between our 2nd and 3rd lines.

Nash - Vermette - Voracek
Huselius - Brassard - Filatov
Calvert - Pahlsson - Umberger
Dorsett - MacKenzie - Boll

extra: murray, clark

I know that 2nd line looks suspicious. Lots of skill, a combined weight of 250lbs. But I think moving Filatov to the third woudln't work, and that Umby is put in a position to stand out on the 3rd, as well as balancing the line with the youngster Calvert. in a perfect world Brass will come back a bonafied BEAST and we won't be able to keep him off the 1st line with Rick, making the 2nd line more stable with the addition of Vermette.
Boll, Sestito and Blunden could easily be unseated by Svitov and I'd wager he'd give Murray a run for his money.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 12:24 PM
  #50
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly
 
PCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Boll, Sestito and Blunden could easily be unseated by Svitov and I'd wager he'd give Murray a run for his money.
yea, you're right. He's better than those guys and further along in his development, too.

I guess I'm more so saying considering his ceiling, I don't think he deserves to unseat any of those players. I dont know where CBJ is on the 50 contract limit, but if I were making the calls I'd rather give a young, hard worker a shot at a signing. We have enough middling forwards signed up.

Filatov is only getting leniency after having left the team because there's elite potential. There is a chance he could be more dynamic than our current best player. Svitov can play for someone else. I would only consider revisiting my judgement on him if his mullet prowess has increased in his absense.

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.