HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Alexander Svitov returning to the NHL?

Old
06-04-2010, 08:35 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

vCash: 500
I wasn't all that educated a hockey fan in 06-07 as compared to today, but all I remember seeing out of Svitov that year were penalties & fights. Did I miss something?

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I wasn't all that educated a hockey fan in 06-07 as compared to today, but all I remember seeing out of Svitov that year were penalties & fights. Did I miss something?
I remember a big body in front of the goalie on our power plays... He is what he is, a big frame with some skill that plays with emotion.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:57 PM
EDM

I remember him as lazy and unwilling to put in the extra effort to really make something out of the physical gifts he was given. Good bye, good riddance, is my view of him.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:09 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

I don't understand how a guy with a contract can just sit out two years and then be a free agent. If you are signed, shouldn't your rights be owned by that team until you've played the duration of your contract? Maybe I'm not understanding a key element of the situation, but it doesn't seem right.

Because love him or hate him, he should be our asset to trade!

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
I don't understand how a guy with a contract can just sit out two years and then be a free agent. If you are signed, shouldn't your rights be owned by that team until you've played the duration of your contract? Maybe I'm not understanding a key element of the situation, but it doesn't seem right.

Because love him or hate him, he should be our asset to trade!
The contract apparently expired somewhere along the line. I'm not sure why or how that's supposed to work.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:22 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
He's a physical force, and a pretty mean sob. He's what we need Boll to be

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Both he and Brassard wore #16. You know what that means...

We need to find a mad scientist who can combine both of them -- the skill and hockey sense from Brassard with the fight and emotion of Svitov. Bwahaha... <maniacal laugh>

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
I liked Svitov, but TW is correct in saying that we overrated.

He's a 4th line + center who's slower then molasis (his game is more effective here then in Russia).

But since he can fight, he's Jesus. You know how Milan Lucic isn't more then a 3rd liner Plus, but because he can fight, he's worshiped? Same thing here.

06-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Both he and Brassard wore #16. You know what that means...

We need to find a mad scientist who can combine both of them -- the skill and hockey sense from Brassard with the fight and emotion of Svitov. Bwahaha... <maniacal laugh>
That one of them has to become #61?

Actually, I've heard that Svitov was going to switch to #15 for the ensuing season. Maybe he and Dorsett could fight it out.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:19 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

It doesn't seem right to me either that Svitov would be a UFA. Like Filatov, for example, isn't burning NHL contract years in Russia, is that not true?

Like someone else said, it would make sense, (and also the way I understood it to be) if the contract went on suspension, and if that player were to ever come back, they'd have to honor the contract that they opted out of, or they couldn't come back. Doesn't make sense to me otherwise. Why would they let players flee and not have to honor contracts from which they fleed?

It should be to honor the contract that you signed or don't come back.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 05:44 AM
RBarRegular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
It doesn't seem right to me either that Svitov would be a UFA. Like Filatov, for example, isn't burning NHL contract years in Russia, is that not true?

Like someone else said, it would make sense, (and also the way I understood it to be) if the contract went on suspension, and if that player were to ever come back, they'd have to honor the contract that they opted out of, or they couldn't come back. Doesn't make sense to me otherwise. Why would they let players flee and not have to honor contracts from which they fleed?

It should be to honor the contract that you signed or don't come back.
This. Well said.

RBarRegular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Xoggz22

I'll see if I can find it but I was thinking that at the end of his CBJ contract (the one he didn't fulfill) he became a RFA. At that time I don't think he was qualified by Columbus making him a UFA.

I emailed Portzline on this a year or so ago wondering if he would ever come back to Columbus and, in short, the response was - "not a chance!".

We can dream, hate or be meh....I'm guessing he's played his last days in Columbus. Too bad since we have no 4th line center and he offers something we could use (toughness, big body and he was defensively responsible - just not fast)

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I'll see if I can find it but I was thinking that at the end of his CBJ contract (the one he didn't fulfill) he became a RFA. At that time I don't think he was qualified by Columbus making him a UFA.

I emailed Portzline on this a year or so ago wondering if he would ever come back to Columbus and, in short, the response was - "not a chance!".

We can dream, hate or be meh....I'm guessing he's played his last days in Columbus. Too bad since we have no 4th line center and he offers something we could use (toughness, big body and he was defensively responsible - just not fast)
I don't care really one way or another if he comes back but if he is indeed a RFA and is signed by another team then draft choices could be coming our way. I am pretty sure he was given a qualifying offer last year when his two year came last year up specifically for this possibility. The question is does that qualifier only cover the single year?

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Since Svitov was qualified last summer as an RFA, then the term of the contract obviously elapsed. I agree that a player who leaves against the terms of the contract should be made to honor that contract if player chooses to return.

*From Rakers: Svitov's rights are still owned by the Blue Jackets. They qualified him last summer as a restricted free agent, not with any thought that he would return to Columbus but just to prevent him from returning with another NHL club. Can't say I blame them.
On July 1, Svitov will be free to sign with any NHL club, an unrestricted free agent. He will find suitors, to be sure, just not from Columbus.*

*From CBJ Website: Blue Jackets Suspend Center Alexander SvitovThursday, 09.13.2007 / 3:00 PM / News By Blue Jackets Staff - Writer COLUMBUS, OHIO – The Columbus Blue Jackets have suspended center Alexander Svitov for failing to report to training camp, club General Manager Scott Howson announced today.

Svitov informed the team in August of his decision to play for Avangard Omsk of the Russian Super League during the 2007-08 season. He signed a two-year contract with Columbus on July 2, 2007.*

Since the KHL and NHL don't have a transfer agreement (afaik), then a player can have one contract elapsing under suspension, while fulfilling another contract in a dfferent continent. Then be allowed to come back. The NHL is probably trying to be PC by allowing this. Hudler is another example.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:35 AM
cbj21

I was a Svitov fan. But if he won't be playing for the Jackets then I hope he stay home!!!

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Since Svitov was qualified last summer as an RFA, then the term of the contract obviously elapsed. I agree that a player who leaves against the terms of the contract should be made to honor that contract if player chooses to return.

*From Rakers: Svitov's rights are still owned by the Blue Jackets. They qualified him last summer as a restricted free agent, not with any thought that he would return to Columbus but just to prevent him from returning with another NHL club. Can't say I blame them.
On July 1, Svitov will be free to sign with any NHL club, an unrestricted free agent. He will find suitors, to be sure, just not from Columbus.*

*From CBJ Website: Blue Jackets Suspend Center Alexander SvitovThursday, 09.13.2007 / 3:00 PM / News By Blue Jackets Staff - Writer COLUMBUS, OHIO – The Columbus Blue Jackets have suspended center Alexander Svitov for failing to report to training camp, club General Manager Scott Howson announced today.

Svitov informed the team in August of his decision to play for Avangard Omsk of the Russian Super League during the 2007-08 season. He signed a two-year contract with Columbus on July 2, 2007.*

Since the KHL and NHL don't have a transfer agreement (afaik), then a player can have one contract elapsing under suspension, while fulfilling another contract in a different continent. Then be allowed to come back. The NHL is probably trying to be PC by allowing this. Hudler is another example.
Thanks for the info. Kinda thought it was going to turn out that way but was hoping for some kind of compensation. The lack of transfer agreement and incidents like this are the reasons Russian prospects slip in the draft. GM's are a naturally cautious breed and stuff like this just reinforces that caution. C'est la vie.

At least he's a 3rd fourth line grinder and not a top six skill player....

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:07 AM
AyVee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
(Assuming he would be a UFA)

If Svitov were to return to the NHL with a team other then the Jackets, I'll be booing him upon his return. When Svitov left, the consensus was he did it because of a family situation. The Jackets didn't put up much of a fight to enforce the contract, so I assumed the family reason was correct.

If he comes back at the same time his Columbus rights expire, I'll be pissed. At least we got something back for Foote...
Something most of us Avalanche fans resent our management for...

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Not a thing.

The reality is that Svitov simply didn't develop into much of anything outside of a largely undisciplined massive third-liner with much better skills. He got dealt a brutal hand by being pulled off the tarmac by the Red Army and then, upon arriving, having that shrieking banshee Tortorella "coaching" him.

Really, I feel sympathy for him more than contempt, but in pure hockey terms, he hasn't done much to lead one to believe that he'd be more now than he was in 2006.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 06:31 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Due to the circumstances of his leaving, a lack of agreement between the KHL and NHL, and the clubby-ness of NHL owners and management, I predict Svitov will be made an example to all other players who think they can bolt from their team, hide out a year or two, and then slip back into the league. (Then again, I'm sure there's a slimy GM somewhere.)

Regarding his talent...
He was a first round draft choice of Tampa and didn't do well.
He played for us and didn't do that well.
He bailed on his team.
He wasn't that good a player in the KHL.
Why then would we want him back?

I'd sooner take Zherdev back.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:09 AM
BluejacketNut

Cause he's a dominating physical force, something thing team sorely lacks

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:22 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Due to the circumstances of his leaving, a lack of agreement between the KHL and NHL, and the clubby-ness of NHL owners and management, I predict Svitov will be made an example to all other players who think they can bolt from their team, hide out a year or two, and then slip back into the league. (Then again, I'm sure there's a slimy GM somewhere.)

Regarding his talent...
He was a first round draft choice of Tampa and didn't do well.
He played for us and didn't do that well.
He bailed on his team.
He wasn't that good a player in the KHL.
Why then would we want him back?

I'd sooner take Zherdev back.
I don't know much about the Tampa Situation other than to say that I've read more than one media report about how Tortella thought he was taking too long to develop and Tortella wasn't happy with this play. For a guy that wears his emotions on his sleeve (Torts), its pretty easy to see what probably happened.

The guy was damaged goods, emotionally, when he got to Columbus. he wouldn't do interviews his first season, and kept to himself. He began to come out of his shell in Syracuse and was a much more emotionally healthy player when he got back to Columbus. He played very well his final season here and was one of the lone bright spots. Yes, his talent never fully manifested itself at this level, but he did something a lot of these european draftees aren't able to do... find a niche if their talent doesnt carry them.

Yes, he left when he had a contract. However, he left at the beginning of the offseason, giving management enough time to find a replacement (Peca)

His KHL stats are better than his NHL stats. He's playing a game more suited to his strengths now. And as Sam mentioned, his game is more suited to the NHL.

I would want him back because, right now, there's no one on this team that would be better for a fourth line center position than him. The guy will fight and stand up for teammates, hit, play along the boards and is a fairly decent defensive forward.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 06-14-2010 at 07:39 AM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Cause he's a dominating physical force, something thing team sorely lacks
A physical force perhaps, but dominating?

Old
06-14-2010, 08:58 AM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

There's no room for him in the bottom 6 and he's not an upgrade worthy of unseeding any player under an active contract.

Bottom 6 candidates:
Umberger - Filatov - Pahlsson - Dorsett
Boll - Murray - MacKenzie - Clark
Calvert - Sestito - Mayorov - Blunden

My best lines assuming we don't make a Torres-like acquisition to play up and down between our 2nd and 3rd lines.

Nash - Vermette - Voracek
Huselius - Brassard - Filatov
Calvert - Pahlsson - Umberger
Dorsett - MacKenzie - Boll

extra: murray, clark

I know that 2nd line looks suspicious. Lots of skill, a combined weight of 250lbs. But I think moving Filatov to the third woudln't work, and that Umby is put in a position to stand out on the 3rd, as well as balancing the line with the youngster Calvert. in a perfect world Brass will come back a bonafied BEAST and we won't be able to keep him off the 1st line with Rick, making the 2nd line more stable with the addition of Vermette.

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:47 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
There's no room for him in the bottom 6 and he's not an upgrade worthy of unseeding any player under an active contract.

Bottom 6 candidates:
Umberger - Filatov - Pahlsson - Dorsett
Boll - Murray - MacKenzie - Clark
Calvert - Sestito - Mayorov - Blunden

My best lines assuming we don't make a Torres-like acquisition to play up and down between our 2nd and 3rd lines.

Nash - Vermette - Voracek
Huselius - Brassard - Filatov
Calvert - Pahlsson - Umberger
Dorsett - MacKenzie - Boll

extra: murray, clark

I know that 2nd line looks suspicious. Lots of skill, a combined weight of 250lbs. But I think moving Filatov to the third woudln't work, and that Umby is put in a position to stand out on the 3rd, as well as balancing the line with the youngster Calvert. in a perfect world Brass will come back a bonafied BEAST and we won't be able to keep him off the 1st line with Rick, making the 2nd line more stable with the addition of Vermette.
Boll, Sestito and Blunden could easily be unseated by Svitov and I'd wager he'd give Murray a run for his money.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 12:24 PM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Boll, Sestito and Blunden could easily be unseated by Svitov and I'd wager he'd give Murray a run for his money.
yea, you're right. He's better than those guys and further along in his development, too.

I guess I'm more so saying considering his ceiling, I don't think he deserves to unseat any of those players. I dont know where CBJ is on the 50 contract limit, but if I were making the calls I'd rather give a young, hard worker a shot at a signing. We have enough middling forwards signed up.

Filatov is only getting leniency after having left the team because there's elite potential. There is a chance he could be more dynamic than our current best player. Svitov can play for someone else. I would only consider revisiting my judgement on him if his mullet prowess has increased in his absense.

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote