HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Alexander Svitov returning to the NHL?

Old
06-14-2010, 02:41 PM
BluejacketNut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
A physical force perhaps, but dominating?
Ok, maybe not dominating, but often the 2 do go hand in hand

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I don't know much about the Tampa Situation other than to say that I've read more than one media report about how Tortella thought he was taking too long to develop and Tortella wasn't happy with this play. For a guy that wears his emotions on his sleeve (Torts), its pretty easy to see what probably happened.

The guy was damaged goods, emotionally, when he got to Columbus. he wouldn't do interviews his first season, and kept to himself. He began to come out of his shell in Syracuse and was a much more emotionally healthy player when he got back to Columbus. He played very well his final season here and was one of the lone bright spots. Yes, his talent never fully manifested itself at this level, but he did something a lot of these european draftees aren't able to do... find a niche if their talent doesnt carry them.

Yes, he left when he had a contract. However, he left at the beginning of the offseason, giving management enough time to find a replacement (Peca)

His KHL stats are better than his NHL stats. He's playing a game more suited to his strengths now. And as Sam mentioned, his game is more suited to the NHL.

I would want him back because, right now, there's no one on this team that would be better for a fourth line center position than him. The guy will fight and stand up for teammates, hit, play along the boards and is a fairly decent defensive forward.
Nicely done... agree will all! A perfect fit for our fouth line with some PP time in the blue paint screen area.. As for Tortella I can't wait until he's fired for the last time.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Monk

I'd take Svitov over Boll in a heartbeat. Less than a heartbeat.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:20 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
I seem to remember him bolting to Russia because of "family issues". If that was true and Svits wanted to come back to Columbus, all would be forgiven in my book. He's certainly an upgrade to the 3rd or 4th line. If he ends up going to another team that we have to play 4-6 times a year I'm going to be PO'ed.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 06:05 PM
BluejacketNut

Watching the You Tube videos of Sveets, god I miss him. What a d!ck! In the Kessler fight, what starts it is Sveets trying to break Kessler over the cross bar! Total ahole move, which is why I miss him! The playoffs is nasty hockey..I think thats partly what RJ meant about the Caps. The playoffs arent for pretty boys, its a mean, nasty game, and the Jackets have none of it with skill. I wont say Sveets was an All Star, but IMO he is a MUCH better hockey player then DD and Boll, and a whole hell of a lot more intimidating and nasty!

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:12 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
I don't know much about the Tampa Situation other than to say that I've read more than one media report about how Tortella thought he was taking too long to develop and Tortella wasn't happy with this play. For a guy that wears his emotions on his sleeve (Torts), its pretty easy to see what probably happened.

The guy was damaged goods, emotionally, when he got to Columbus. he wouldn't do interviews his first season, and kept to himself. He began to come out of his shell in Syracuse and was a much more emotionally healthy player when he got back to Columbus. He played very well his final season here and was one of the lone bright spots. Yes, his talent never fully manifested itself at this level, but he did something a lot of these european draftees aren't able to do... find a niche if their talent doesnt carry them.

Yes, he left when he had a contract. However, he left at the beginning of the offseason, giving management enough time to find a replacement (Peca)

His KHL stats are better than his NHL stats. He's playing a game more suited to his strengths now. And as Sam mentioned, his game is more suited to the NHL.

I would want him back because, right now, there's no one on this team that would be better for a fourth line center position than him. The guy will fight and stand up for teammates, hit, play along the boards and is a fairly decent defensive forward.
I liked his physical style when he was here, but for a #1 Draft Pick, he was a bust on two teams. Tampa wanted Daryl Sydor and Maclean was hoping for a diamond in the rough. Wasn't a bad trade, but didn't pan out for us the way we hoped, and then the guy jumped ship. Did I mention HE LEFT THE TEAM??

Quote:
Boll, Sestito and Blunden could easily be unseated by Svitov and I'd wager he'd give Murray a run for his money.
I agree we needed a bigger presence than Boll, but it's another year later and Sestito and "some 4th line guy playing at the minimum" are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
yea, you're right. He's better than those guys and further along in his development, too.

I guess I'm more so saying considering his ceiling, I don't think he deserves to unseat any of those players. I dont know where CBJ is on the 50 contract limit, but if I were making the calls I'd rather give a young, hard worker a shot at a signing. We have enough middling forwards signed up.

Filatov is only getting leniency after having left the team because there's elite potential. There is a chance he could be more dynamic than our current best player. Svitov can play for someone else. I would only consider revisiting my judgement on him if his mullet prowess has increased in his absense.
This is where I'm at too.... he blew his chance. If we need a mullet, hire Shelley.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:46 PM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

Shelley's a good guy. Hope there's enough historical perspective left in the organization (which I think that there is) to bring Shelley back in a community development or a broadcasting role of some sort shortly after his playing career ends.

One mullet I'd love to have back in the fold is Brian Engblom. A scholar and a very powerful mullet.

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 07:14 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
This is where I'm at too.... he blew his chance. If we need a mullet, hire Shelley.
I would say most of us agree that this team doesn't need an enforcer, so to speak but....

Keep in mind, Svitov wouldn't be fighting up a weight class basically, the way Dorsett and Boll always seem to have to. And, unlike a 5 minute a night enforcer, he is capable enough to leave on the ice for regular shifts.

You are right JF, he did leave the team and thats why I'll agree with you in saying that he probably will not be back, as much as I think he'd be an improvement. As much as Howson tried to comb that over, I have a feeling he has "we won't be fooled again" playing in his head.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 07:16 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
One mullet I'd love to have back in the fold is Brian Engblom. A scholar and a very powerful mullet.
I think we all agree that if you took 1 Konroyd, mixed in some Gare and a Billy D, they can't match 1 Engblom.....

I miss you Brian.

Old
06-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Skraut

Quote:
I think we all agree that if you took 1 Konroyd, mixed in some Gare and a Billy D, they can't match 1 Engblom.....

I miss you Brian.
I couldn't help watching Engblom without feeling a sadness for where the guy's career had gone for him to end up in Columbus.

Sure he was awesome to have, but I felt like we were watching an Ohio State intermural squad being quarterbacked by Brett Favre. And all you can do is wonder who he pissed off, or what the hell went so wrong in his life for him to end up here.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:02 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I couldn't help watching Engblom without feeling a sadness for where the guy's career had gone for him to end up in Columbus.

Sure he was awesome to have, but I felt like we were watching an Ohio State intermural squad being quarterbacked by Brett Favre. And all you can do is wonder who he pissed off, or what the hell went so wrong in his life for him to end up here.
Considering some of the reviews he's recently gotten for his work on Versus, his next stop could be working for the Toledo Walleye! Personally, I liked him with the Jackets. "Ended up in Columbus"? How many NHL broadcasting jobs are there, again? And it led him to the national broadcasts on Versus. You should have someone so pissed off at you!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:06 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Considering some of the reviews he's recently gotten for his work on Versus, his next stop could be working for the Toledo Walleye! Personally, I liked him with the Jackets. "Ended up in Columbus"? How many NHL broadcasting jobs are there, again? And it led him to the national broadcasts on Versus. You should have someone so pissed off at you!
It was almost like, when ESPN dumped the NHL, Versus fogot that Engblom was an analyst on ESPN... And it wwasn't until someone (probably Clement) said, "Hey, you guys realize that Engblom is doing color in Columbus?" And Versus was like, "Oh yeah, is he the guy with the Blonde Mullet??"

Old
06-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
He was the host of NHL2Nite on ESPN2 and did national games for the network for 11 years. He had a national gig a long time before the Jackets.

Old
06-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

He ended up here after the lockout. ESPN was no longer the national broadcaster of the NHL. A few of them stayed with ESPN like Melrose and Thorne, maybe they were contractually obligated, maybe they let them all try to find work in their "field". Versus (OLN), scooped up Engblom quickly. Engblom, as I recall did the between the period reports from the Zamboni entrance. Occasionally he woul fill in as a color man, but his main gig for ESPN was the afore mentioned.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Skraut

Yeah, I'm just saying I enjoyed the guy, but you knew he'd never last so I didn't get attached. He was bound to get a bigger, better job elsewhere soon.

Old
06-15-2010, 08:19 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Yeah, I'm just saying I enjoyed the guy, but you knew he'd never last so I didn't get attached. He was bound to get a bigger, better job elsewhere soon.
We could only be so lucky with Rimer.... Anybody know someone at Versus we can call about him?

Old
06-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Not a thing.

The reality is that Svitov simply didn't develop into much of anything outside of a largely undisciplined massive third-liner with much better skills. He got dealt a brutal hand by being pulled off the tarmac by the Red Army and then, upon arriving, having that shrieking banshee Tortorella "coaching" him.

Really, I feel sympathy for him more than contempt, but in pure hockey terms, he hasn't done much to lead one to believe that he'd be more now than he was in 2006.
Svitov is a better and more mature player now.

Remember, he captained Avangard through the Cherepanov tragedy, a life situation that would force anybody to grow up (especially team captain). That team was able to rally late in the season and do some damage in the playoffs.

KHL has forced him to diversify his game a bit....he's a bit more well rounded (can play wing).

I think he'd be an ideal mean and nasty 3rd line player who can add some leadership and maybe a little offensive pop to a team.
Negatives = can still be undisciplined from time to time.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 09:22 AM
PerfectTommy

Svitov has had four years of home cooking and playing against KHL-level competition. Based on his previous attitude and performance in Columbus, it's hard to believe he'd be "hungry" to return to North America and play at, or near, the NHL minimum salary.

PerfectTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:55 PM
teddygmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Svitov is a better and more mature player now.

Remember, he captained Avangard through the Cherepanov tragedy, a life situation that would force anybody to grow up (especially team captain). That team was able to rally late in the season and do some damage in the playoffs.

KHL has forced him to diversify his game a bit....he's a bit more well rounded (can play wing).

I think he'd be an ideal mean and nasty 3rd line player who can add some leadership and maybe a little offensive pop to a team.
This reinforces the idea that Svitov could be a positive influence with Filatov. In fact, I think they could be very effective together on the 2nd pp unit.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
This reinforces the idea that Svitov could be a positive influence with Filatov. In fact, I think they could be very effective together on the 2nd pp unit.
Yeah, they've both left the team for Russia, I'm sure they'd get along great....

I want Umberger to be Filatov's role model, not Svitov.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Yeah, they've both left the team for Russia, I'm sure they'd get along great....

I want Umberger to be Filatov's role model, not Svitov.
That for sure. In fact, I would want Umberger to be any of our young players' role model.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote