Notices

Houston Aeros 2010-2011

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2010, 10:54 AM
suezane carpenter

vCash: 500
Houston Aeros 2010-2011

Who do you think will be on the team next season. any thoughts! i would like to see Hugh Jessiman or Brett Skinner in a Aeros Jersey next season.

Old
06-05-2010, 01:06 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Welcome!

A lot of it will depend on who ends up getting the coaching job, but I'd just like a little veteran leadership down there. It looks like our top prospects will be playing for the Aeros and no one wants to see a repeat of the Voloshenko experience.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
06-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
There are likely to be more real "prospects" on the Aeros next season, i.e. young guys either drafted or originally signed by the Wild, than is the case for most seasons.

Old
06-05-2010, 03:19 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I'm pretty interested to see who they hire as the head coach down there. The names Russo threw out were intriquing but I'm not sure how willing those guys would be to accept that job.

Old
06-05-2010, 09:14 PM
saywut

Current Wild contracted/RFA players headed to Houston(* means possible Wild player, in my opinion):

Forwards
Daoust
McMillan
Almond*
Gillies*
Wellman*
Palmer
Kassian
Rau
Kalus
Peters
Broda
Earl

Defense
Noreau
Falk
Scandella*
Cuma
Prosser*
Bagnall
Frasor

Goalies
Khudobin
Hackett

Last edited by saywut: 07-15-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old
06-16-2010, 02:19 AM
Garbage Goal

Hey guys, I need some insight on a prospect named Mathew Hackett. What's his style of play? Does he have a shot at the NHL? Is he a good prospect? Etc.

Old
07-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Seems to me the Aeros are really loading up now with all these quality signings Fletch has blessed us with. I'm looking for a some good seasons for Houston in the next 2-3 years.

Old
07-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

So I guess it'll look something like this (assuming Wellman makes the NHL roster)

Earl - Peters - Daoust
DiSalvatore - Rau - Palmer
Gillies - Almond - Kalus
Kassian - Broda - McMillan
Buck

Noreau - Bagnall
Fraser - Scandella
Prosser - Falk
Cuma

Hackett
?

A couple of interesting things:

#1 - Is PMB ready? If he isn't, there is 13 forwards, including Wellman and Sheppard and the Wild have historically had 13 forwards. If PMB is ready, the pushes either Wellman or Sheppard down to help Houston

#2 - Is Cuma ready? He didn't dominate in juniors so will the Wild decide to keep him up with the Aeros or give him another year with the 67's?

#3 - Who is going to be that #7 man? Historically, the Wild have had 7 d-men on the roster. So if so, that will take one guy away from the pairings I have up.

And remember, the Aeros like putting in their own guys as well. Thats how we discovered Daoust, Rau, and Buck.

Last edited by Circulartheory: 07-15-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old
07-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Im expecting the Wild to sign a free agent D man. I've seen several news articles now about the Wild talking to Willie Mitchell. And he's been seen hanging out down in the Twin Cities lately I also read.

I got the feeling somebody is going to get the axe to make room for a deal with Mitchell. And as soon as the Wild can swing something you'll see the Wild sign him probably the next day if not the same day. I feel it in me bones I do.

YARR

cough...cough

Old
07-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
So I guess it'll look something like this (assuming Wellman makes the NHL roster)

Earl - Peters - Daoust
Gillies - Almond - Kalus
Buck

Noreau - Bagnall
Fraser - Scandella
Cuma - Falk

Hackett
?

#1 - Is PMB ready? If he isn't, there is 13 forwards, including Wellman and Sheppard and the Wild have historically had 13 forwards. If PMB is ready, the pushes either Wellman or Sheppard down to help Houston

#2 - Is Cuma ready? He didn't dominate in juniors so will the Wild decide to keep him up with the Aeros or give him another year with the 67's?

#3 - Who is going to be that #7 man? Historically, the Wild have had 7 d-men on the roster. So if so, that will take one guy away from the pairings I have up.

And remember, the Aeros like putting in their own guys as well. Thats how we discovered Daoust, Rau, and Buck.
Prosser?

Old
07-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Prosser?
Whoops!

Edit

Old
07-15-2010, 06:58 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Prosser?
As of right now I'd guess either Prosser or Scandella make the Wild roster.

Old
07-15-2010, 07:12 PM
saywut

Quote:

Earl - Peters - Daoust
Gillies - Almond - Kalus
Buck

Noreau - Bagnall
Fraser - Scandella
Prosser - Falk
Cuma

Hackett
?

Daoust played under Richards in WB-S, and GMCF knew who he was, so that wasn't really an Aeros guy. Peters is a depth player even in the AHL, as evident by his $$s last season.

I'd see it more like this, with Wellman there:
Gilles - Almond - Earl
Daoust - Wellman - Palmer
Disalvatore - Rau - Broda
Kassian - Peters - McMillan
Kalus(I've given up on him)

Scandella - Prosser
Cuma - Bagnall
Noreau - Falk
Frasor(we didn't qualify him and he was let go by another organization in his early 20s. A nobody)

Khudobin
Hackett

Old
07-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I've given up on Kalus being an NHL player but as an AHL player, he should be fine.

Old
07-15-2010, 08:56 PM
saywut

Quote:
I've given up on Kalus being an NHL player but as an AHL player, he should be fine.
I honestly don't see a forward in that 12 man group who he should replace in it.

Old
07-20-2010, 05:36 PM
LemaireisGOD

I think Noreau...

will be on the 1st pair defensively no matter what. I understand the AHL is about development but no matter what he will be the best defenseman on that team and he's the one with the most experience so he is not going to be placed on the 2nd pair. Other than that I think Wellman will be the first line center and Rau the 2nd line center. Almond is more of a checking style of player and while I think he'll get plenty of power play time, but he is better suited to being on an energy line. Rau is a pure skill player and to put him on the 3rd line is a waste of his talents.

As far as Matt Hackett, he's a big athletic goaltender who has good positioning and crease awareness. He is still very lanky and needs to add strength to his frame. Yet at the most recent camp he had trouble controlling rebounds and did not look all that good.

Old
07-20-2010, 05:56 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
will be on the 1st pair defensively no matter what. I understand the AHL is about development but no matter what he will be the best defenseman on that team and he's the one with the most experience so he is not going to be placed on the 2nd pair. Other than that I think Wellman will be the first line center and Rau the 2nd line center. Almond is more of a checking style of player and while I think he'll get plenty of power play time, but he is better suited to being on an energy line. Rau is a pure skill player and to put him on the 3rd line is a waste of his talents.

As far as Matt Hackett, he's a big athletic goaltender who has good positioning and crease awareness. He is still very lanky and needs to add strength to his frame. Yet at the most recent camp he had trouble controlling rebounds and did not look all that good.
Where do you see Palmer?

Old
07-21-2010, 12:02 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Noreau was very soft and weak when we saw him in person. I think he faded halfway through and I wouldn't put him anywhere near the top pair. Maybe 3/4 and more on the power play.

Old
08-24-2010, 03:57 PM
grN1g

10-11 AHL Lines combo's

Anyone have an idea of how Houstons team is going to turn out next season with the additions of Wellman, shep, scandella, cuma?

Earl-Wellman-Sheppard
Rau-Almond-Gillies
Mcmillan?-smith-Ireman/Disalvotor?
?-?-?

Scandella-Noreau
Cuma-Falk/Fraser?
?-?

Hackett
Khudobin

Last edited by grN1g: 08-24-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old
08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
pbunder

i'd think khudobin/endras will have a say in who's starting goalie for the aeros. other then that, i dont know enough about our prospects status/abilities to judge the d line, and forward group

Old
08-24-2010, 04:11 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I don't believe Endras is coming over this season or at least that is the present plan.

Old
08-24-2010, 04:11 PM
grN1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbunder View Post
i'd think khudobin/endras will have a say in who's starting goalie for the aeros. other then that, i dont know enough about our prospects status/abilities to judge the d line, and forward group
endras is playing in germany this season that much i do know, and yeah khudobin/hackett will challendge for #1 next season, and if u think about it thats a solid starter and backup for houston.

Old
08-24-2010, 04:27 PM
pbunder

I hope they either let hackett start or do a 1a/1b thing. we need him ready for the prime time in a few years. I really did enjoy watching khudobin play for the wild those couple of games, he's very mobile and fun to watch. but a starter he is not. wouldnt mind seeing them move harding for an asset and letting khudobin backup backstrom (if backstrom is himself this season)

Old
08-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Jbcraig1883

Earl-Wellman-Palmer
Rau-Almond-Daoust
Gillies-Disalvatore-Kalus/Broda
Kassian-Peters-Mcmillan

Scandella-Prosser
Noreau-Falk
Cuma-Bagnall

Khudobin
Hackett

This is pure speculation on my part. I am sure Ms. Conduct could provide us with a far more accurate prediction.

Old
08-24-2010, 08:36 PM
MsConduct10

Hmm. I've never put much stock in line combos. Probably "growing up" on Lemaire and Constantine, for whom line combination guesses were a complete waste of time, is to blame.

Though I'm about to write the profile over on T3I about Broda and my info tells me line chemistry is really critical for that guy, so it will be interesting (and probably some trial and error) to see how that shakes out.

I would say DiSalvatore will be on a higher line, but who do you bump down? Almond is a good defensive kid, but I'd like them to encourage his scoring ability. The guys who aren't prospects usually get the shaft in that regard, but DiSal can score, and we're gonna need it.

Looking at that defense though... Wow. I'm pretty happy if I'm Khudobin and Hack, right?

Closed Thread