HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ceremonies for Bure and Naslund Planned

Old
06-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Dana Murzyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I agree that the Linden situation was handled poorly. Of course, Linden understood the business, didn't take the situation personally, and didn't demand a trade.
This is the key difference, and I don't understand why the Bure boosters are so happy to ignore it.

Negotiations get dirty and acrimonious all the time. But by entering into a contract, both parties are implicitly agreeing to put their differences behind them and work together.

If Bure's feelings were so hurt by the mean rumour the Canucks might or might not have started about him, then he shouldn't have signed the contract in 1994. That's when he should have walked away. Once he did sign the contract, he should have sucked it up, collected his millions, played hard, endured the anguish of being adored by an entire city, and honoured his agreement.

Dana Murzyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
This is the key difference, and I don't understand why the Bure boosters are so happy to ignore it.

Negotiations get dirty and acrimonious all the time. But by entering into a contract, both parties are implicitly agreeing to put their differences behind them and work together.

If Bure's feelings were so hurt by the mean rumour the Canucks might or might not have started about him, then he shouldn't have signed the contract in 1994. That's when he should have walked away. Once he did sign the contract, he should have sucked it up, collected his millions, played hard, endured the anguish of being adored by an entire city, and honoured his agreement.
It was the cumulative effect of a number of issues the way I read Bure's statements. Linden had one bad experience and that over a much more minor matter - an agreement to keep contractual matters confidential.

To me the Linden situation is instructive from the point that if the Canucks would do this to Linden, why is it so far-fetched to believe they did what Bure claims?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
A note - let's try not to get too far into law/evidence discussions as it starts to get off topic. Keep the discussion to Bure/Naslund.

My personal take is that while Bure and the Canucks didn't part on the best of terms, I would love to see that bridge mended and have the Canucks pay some sort of tribute to one of the best hockey players to wear the uniform.

I'd also be thrilled to see the Canucks honour Naslund, who was also a very good player for this franchise.

I am against retiring either jersey, however, as I think being "Career Canucks" should also play into the matter, i.e. Linden and Smyl. Niether were as talented as Bure or Naslund, but both shed blood, sweat and tears for this franchise and ar thusly 1 and 2 on the all time games played list while still being near the top of the offensive categories.

I also agree that different players react differently to negotiations. Another true blue player that went through rough negotiations was Brendan Morrison. Who can forget Burkie's assertion that he was a mouse riding on the back of an elephant? Morrison was no All Star, but he was a good player and a proud Canuck who probably didn't deserve that kind of treatment. But he stuck around for a number of years with the team.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Is "Steamer" the same as "TheSteamer" from Canucks.com?

If so, this thread is so deja vu.
No I am not!

Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Pascha

Bury the hatchet with Bure, retire #10.

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Jyrki21
Realgooder than you

How many teams retire numbers of player who played all of seven seasons with them? This is what I don't get about the Bure retirement backers. You don't retire a number of a player because he was really good (that's what he made his money for) -- you do it because you can't ever imagine anyone else wearing it.

I can imagine Trevor Letowski wearing #10, among others.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:00 AM
westisbest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Yes honour not retire. No Linden's jersey should not be retired.

Bure should be in the HHOF without question. His stats speak for themselves. The only reason he is not is because of Canadian prejudice against Russian players and the fact they play on the west coast.
You guys really need to quit with the whole "Us against the world" mentality that's been around the organization since Burke was in charge.

westisbest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by westisbest View Post
You guys really need to quit with the whole "Us against the world" mentality that's been around the organization since Burke was in charge.
Falls under the category of:

Old
06-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Dado

vCash:
Bure is the best player to ever put on a Canuck uniform. This is indisputable. His contract situation was handled horribly by Canucks management, and a young, impetuous kid made the situation worse with his young, impetuous responses.

But it's time to put all that aside and recognize a fundamental truth we should all be able to agree on - nobody before or since could get us out of our seats/couches like Bure. And it's quite possible we will never see the likes of him again.

So I suggest we put aside the bickering and get busy waxing nostalgic about the glorious hockey moments we were fortunate enough to enjoy, even if it all ended too soon.

Old
06-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Bure is the best player to ever put on a Canuck uniform. This is indisputable. His contract situation was handled horribly by Canucks management, and a young, impetuous kid made the situation worse with his young, impetuous responses.

But it's time to put all that aside and recognize a fundamental truth we should all be able to agree on - nobody before or since could get us out of our seats/couches like Bure. And it's quite possible we will never see the likes of him again.

So I suggest we put aside the bickering and get busy waxing nostalgic about the glorious hockey moments we were fortunate enough to enjoy, even if it all ended too soon.
The most amazing thing about Bure for me was that he could make moves at top speed that even other gifted players could only do at reduced speed.

There have been few players like Bure who could just pull you out of your seat (or an alcoholic stupor) when they grabbed the puck and decided to go with it - Rocket Richard, Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, Guy Lafleur to name the ones that did it for me. Ovechkin is probably in this class as well when he is going.

Mario Lemieux had some breathtaking moves but it was qualitatively a different visceral reaction for me. Gretzky did not have that quality - you often failed to really notice him and then you realized that he had put up four points. The other player similar to Gretzky was Gordie Howe - he was simply efficient (and proficient) on the ice. Think Nicklas Lidstrom amongst current players or perhaps Henrik Sedin.

For those who witnessed Bure's first shift and first game against the Winnipeg Jets, you cannot believe how astonishing it was to watch... and not just for the fans. Cliff Ronning remembers the first shift with great detail:

“Even people on the bench, our team, everyone stood up. I’ve never seen a guy skate that fast, that confident and go end-to-end. I don’t know if you’ll ever see it again how fast he skated. I don’t know how fast he was going. I don’t think anyone’s ever skated that fast. I don’t think he ever skated that fast himself afterwards. That was insane, that one shift.”

“Some of the things that Pavel did at high speed I couldn’t do it walking through it sometimes. Players are always fooling around before practice or during practice to try different things. But when Pavel did this it was all at a high speed and he did it in games.” –Stan Smyl

“Pavel was the type of player and there’s not a lot of guys that can do that but literally bring people out of their seats and incredibly explosive. He just made things happen when you didn’t think anything could happen.” –Trevor Linden

“What Pavel brought at the time, the team never had before. And that was a superstar that was young and I wouldn’t say the word overly confident but he wasn’t afraid to say ‘Look I’m going to score 50 goals’ and he went out and did it.” –Cliff Ronning

“He was scary with the puck, I mean he could do stuff that made other players look like they were in another league. It would be boys playing with men sometimes”. –Arthur Griffiths

“He’s the most talented hockey player I’ve ever played with in my life and that I’ve ever seen period.” –Greg Adams

Just imagine what he could have done in today's speed game. Yikes.

I watched Pavel from before he entered the NHL and throughout his career. So put me in the column who believes that Pavel should be honoured/have his number retired. The next closest to Pavel in skill was Markus Naslund and he captained the team for number of years so the same honour for him.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Meganuck*

Great post with the different videos Wetcoaster.

It sure was a treat to watch the guy play. I remember being a kid and my father was volunteering at Canuck Place when it was being made. He got a couple of free tickets and I got to go see him play live. What an experience.

I'm hoping his jersey gets raised to the rafters. If not, atleast have him honored in some way. He should have his own night. Same with Naslund.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:45 AM
Johnny LaRue

Bure was great and all, but I think it would be asinine to retire his number. I think it should really mean something when you retire a number like it did with Linden or Smyl.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Pascha

Bure is the most talented player we've ever had, and likely will see in a Canucks uniform in our lifetimes. One thing which seperates Bure and Naslund for me is the fact that Pavel continued to score in the playoffs, with 70 points in his 64 career playoff games. Naslund's #'s? 36 points (-7) in 52 career playoff games.

It makes me sad that plugs like Letowski, Johnson, and Brad May wore Bure's number after he left. If the only way to get #10 in the rafters is to retire #19, then so be it.

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Great post with the different videos Wetcoaster.

It sure was a treat to watch the guy play. I remember being a kid and my father was volunteering at Canuck Place when it was being made. He got a couple of free tickets and I got to go see him play live. What an experience.

I'm hoping his jersey gets raised to the rafters. If not, atleast have him honored in some way. He should have his own night. Same with Naslund.
Watching Bure play live was an incredible rush - every time he touched the puck you expected magic... and many times the expectation was met. I remember an interview with another Canucks forward (I cannot recall who at the moment) who had missed a couple of glorious set-ups from Bure during a game and when he was interviewed said somewhat sheepishly that he got caught up watching Bure work his magic instead of bearing down and scoring.

He was incredibly strong on his skates and although he had blazing speed he was not afraid of going to the dirty areas. He absorbed a lot of punishment. His elbow on Shane Churla after taking continuing abuse from the Stars is classic - billed "The Mother of all Elbows" and would have done Gordie Howe proud.

Old
06-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
^I watched a few full game highlights from the '94 playoff run and forgot just how physical Bure could be. The guy dished out some absolutely monstrous hits at full speed, just flattened people. It was incredible.

Watching the first three minutes of Game 6 vs. the Rangers was hilarious. I think there would have been about 50 penalties just from those 3 minutes in today's NHL, almost all of them for hooking.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
^I watched a few full game highlights from the '94 playoff run and forgot just how physical Bure could be. The guy dished out some absolutely monstrous hits at full speed, just flattened people. It was incredible.

Watching the first three minutes of Game 6 vs. the Rangers was hilarious. I think there would have been about 50 penalties just from those 3 minutes in today's NHL, almost all of them for hooking.
You would never use the term perimeter player to describe Bure - with those powerful legs he would just drive through checks.

The style of play was probably better described as water-skiing rather than hockey in those days.

Old
06-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Honour but not retire, IMO. That would be the classy thing to do.
Couldn't agree more.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote