HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Old School Pens Talk...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
  #51
Uncle Jorgi
Registered User
 
Uncle Jorgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Lang was signed as free agent when Los Angeles gave up on him after he hadn't done much for them in 5 years. Before the season started the Pens lost Lang to Boston in the waiver draft but claimed him back off waivers a month later and he stayed for good.
Cool, thanks! I don't think i ever realized we had signed him and lost him to Boston, i thought we got him for the first time on waivers. Thanks for the info.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:28 AM
  #52
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
If you're referring to the brawl that happened at the end of game 5 of that series, i believe it was Rod Buskas who beat his ass, so it would've been a non-factor by the time he was acquired by Pitt ...
Ya it probably was Buskas, he was more of a goon... had like 90 fights compared to Bourque who had maybe 30...

I think Bourque was wrestling with Wregget, then Buskas stepped in... has to be a reason why I always thought it was Bourque.

Who knows.

Too bad someone didn't beat Kerr's ass...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 09:41 AM
  #53
Uncle Jorgi
Registered User
 
Uncle Jorgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Ya it probably was Buskas, he was more of a goon... had like 90 fights compared to Bourque who had maybe 30...

I think Bourque was wrestling with Wregget, then Buskas stepped in... has to be a reason why I always thought it was Bourque.

Who knows.

Too bad someone didn't beat Kerr's ass...
I think anyone on our team at the time would've had to climb up his jersey just to take a swing at his face

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:39 PM
  #54
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill
 
lastcupever75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,419
vCash: 500
buskas was more of a punching bag though. i guess he picked an easy partner there.

jeez, we had some bad fighters in that era

buskas, hillier (another P bag), caulfield,Van dorp, zemlak, a gun shy, brains scrambled jim kyte, and chychrun who did most of his fighting when he first broke in with the cryers

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:04 PM
  #55
Burgs
Registered User
 
Burgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,893
vCash: 500
I don't think I've ever seen an old brawl video where the Pens didn't get their collective butt kicked. I remember one from the mid-90s where Markus Näslund didn't even know how to turtle and promptly got beat up by Randy Cunneyworth.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:33 PM
  #56
gopens66
Finally
 
gopens66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Altoona,Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Ya it probably was Buskas, he was more of a goon... had like 90 fights compared to Bourque who had maybe 30...

I think Bourque was wrestling with Wregget, then Buskas stepped in... has to be a reason why I always thought it was Bourque.

Who knows.

Too bad someone didn't beat Kerr's ass...
I almost hate to admit it, but if I had to pick an all-time favorite Flyer, it would be Kerr. Absolute tank that could score.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:42 AM
  #57
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
buskas was more of a punching bag though. i guess he picked an easy partner there.

jeez, we had some bad fighters in that era

buskas, hillier (another P bag), caulfield,Van dorp, zemlak, a gun shy, brains scrambled jim kyte, and chychrun who did most of his fighting when he first broke in with the cryers
McSorley broke in with the Pens if memory serves...

Since he made Semenko expendable and became Gretzky's bodyguard, can't see why he couldn't have done it for Lemieux, as opposed to the clowns listed above.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:55 AM
  #58
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I don't think I've ever seen an old brawl video where the Pens didn't get their collective butt kicked. I remember one from the mid-90s where Markus Näslund didn't even know how to turtle and promptly got beat up by Randy Cunneyworth.
I remember it very well. It was painful to watch. I was really pissed at Randy for picked Markus to fight. Markus had no clue of how to fight or protect himself.

sniugneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:16 AM
  #59
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I remember it very well. It was painful to watch. I was really pissed at Randy for picked Markus to fight. Markus had no clue of how to fight or protect himself.
Yeah, it was bush league attack by Cunneyworth, who under the guise of "protecting a teammate" attacked Naslund.

Can anyone name the player that Cunneyworth was protecting against big old Markus Naslund???

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:29 AM
  #60
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500

sniugneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:34 AM
  #61
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,324
vCash: 500
I would say the rookie Chris Pronger.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
  #62
Erz8771
Registered User
 
Erz8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: T.Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
And people say Steighy is a homer.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:42 PM
  #63
gopens66
Finally
 
gopens66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Altoona,Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintersiziz77 View Post
And people say Steighy is a homer.
No joking. Right after Pronger checks Naslund, he punches Naslund square in the back of the head.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 09:09 PM
  #64
BrOrpik 44
Registered User
 
BrOrpik 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post
No joking. Right after Pronger checks Naslund, he punches Naslund square in the back of the head.
Pronger Physics man

BrOrpik 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 10:59 PM
  #65
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill
 
lastcupever75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
McSorley broke in with the Pens if memory serves...

Since he made Semenko expendable and became Gretzky's bodyguard, can't see why he couldn't have done it for Lemieux, as opposed to the clowns listed above.
yeah, pretty dumb move by the FO at the time. had an old fight tape of just marty and showed some of his early pens bouts (he wore #4 in his first stint) not great breaking in but was very game, and as the years went on became what you aid, a great body guard for gretz.

think we also had kevin mcclelland on that roster. both guys went on to form a pretty intimidating, energy line for a stanley cup champion.
pisses me off when all we did is have rotating enforcers cause we couldn't get a legitimate one.


Not protecting paul Laus in the expansion draft (or whatever they called it) was another big mistake. another tough guy that could also play a bit

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:30 AM
  #66
Burgs
Registered User
 
Burgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,893
vCash: 500
McSorley had a short second stint with the Pens in 93-94 where he went toe to toe with Probert in Detroit:



I guess Wayne missed his bodyguard because only 12 days later McSorley was sent back to the Kings and the Pens got Tomas Sandström almost for free (well, for Jim Paek) in that trade.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:10 AM
  #67
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill
 
lastcupever75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
McSorley had a short second stint with the Pens in 93-94 where he went toe to toe with Probert in Detroit:



I guess Wayne missed his bodyguard because only 12 days later McSorley was sent back to the Kings and the Pens got Tomas Sandström almost for free (well, for Jim Paek) in that trade.
yes, that was his 2nd stint with the pens


as mentioned. he broke in with pittsburgh in IIRC 82-83

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 04:42 AM
  #68
KaylaJ
Tungsten!
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
McSorley had a short second stint with the Pens in 93-94 where he went toe to toe with Probert in Detroit:



I guess Wayne missed his bodyguard because only 12 days later McSorley was sent back to the Kings and the Pens got Tomas Sandström almost for free (well, for Jim Paek) in that trade.
lol, that game was on espn's hockey night with thorne & clement and when it started you could hear thorne just get so giddy that they were gonna go for it. very interesting that for awhile they didn't really do too much commentary (cept maybe a few oh baby's) but basically sat back and watched as well pointing out everyone on the benches watching

other than that all i remember from that game is jagr made a pretty sweet assist from behind the net with chaisson draped over him

KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:34 AM
  #69
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
McSorley had a short second stint with the Pens in 93-94 where he went toe to toe with Probert in Detroit:



I guess Wayne missed his bodyguard because only 12 days later McSorley was sent back to the Kings and the Pens got Tomas Sandström almost for free (well, for Jim Paek) in that trade.
Thank you Bob Probert as I've always hated MM and still can't understand that deal with McEachern. I remember going to a game against the Flames and seeing Jagr get punched in the head with McSorley on the ice. He did nothing.... not one thing.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:21 AM
  #70
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
yeah, pretty dumb move by the FO at the time. had an old fight tape of just marty and showed some of his early pens bouts (he wore #4 in his first stint) not great breaking in but was very game, and as the years went on became what you aid, a great body guard for gretz.
While we are on the topic of enforcing, I should ask you a question that has been on my mind for years...

There was a huge brawl when someone went after Lemieux in the mid 80s... going to say '86 or '87... I was in grade school and remember seeing pictures of it in the paper at school (most games weren't on TV so I would read about the games in the paper).

I believe it was agt. the Isles or Rags... they said Pen players were fighting guys on the benches and in the penalty box... the pictures they showed were pretty crazy...

Time went by and I forgot about it; then about ten years ago I remembered and I asked my uncles who have been Pen fans for years, but they have ass memories....

Do you remember that game and what happened?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:24 AM
  #71
The Old Master
Registered User
 
The Old Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: burgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I don't think I've ever seen an old brawl video where the Pens didn't get their collective butt kicked. .
true....but i have never been so proud of my team (and that includes the cups) was when al smith took on nole picard (sp.?)and the whole blues on going battle.


Last edited by The Old Master: 06-12-2010 at 09:43 AM.
The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:33 PM
  #72
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill
 
lastcupever75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
While we are on the topic of enforcing, I should ask you a question that has been on my mind for years...

There was a huge brawl when someone went after Lemieux in the mid 80s... going to say '86 or '87... I was in grade school and remember seeing pictures of it in the paper at school (most games weren't on TV so I would read about the games in the paper).

I believe it was agt. the Isles or Rags... they said Pen players were fighting guys on the benches and in the penalty box... the pictures they showed were pretty crazy...

Time went by and I forgot about it; then about ten years ago I remembered and I asked my uncles who have been Pen fans for years, but they have ass memories....

Do you remember that game and what happened?
was it the david shaw slash on lemieux at MSG?

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:59 PM
  #73
Burgs
Registered User
 
Burgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
was it the david shaw slash on lemieux at MSG?
Surprisingly there was no bench-clearing brawl after Shaw slashed Mario in the throat, although it was damn close:



But there were a ton of fights later in the same game, including this line brawl:




So, was this the beginning of the Pens-Rags rivalry that lasted into the mid-90s? The Pens swept the Rangers in the 1st round of this season, then beat them again in the playoffs in 1992 (where Graves slashed Mario's wrist) and 1996.

And seeing Troy Loney in that video, why did he retire at age 31?

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 03:03 PM
  #74
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
was it the david shaw slash on lemieux at MSG?
Yup 10-30-88... I remember it like it was yesterday.

The Rangers were blowing out the Pens and Tony Granato had 4 goals. All I remembr is that they were pouring in on and taking runs at the Pens. All of a sudden Lemieux gets the puck on the left side of the ice and Shaw hits him... maybe slightly late. The two circle, meet at the top of the left circle, Lemieux cross checks Shaw in the upper arms and Shaw comes down with an ax like swing hitting Lemieux in the helmet and upper chest. Mario went down like he's been shot and Dan Quinn (of all people) goes after Shaw. He gets beat down pretty bad but as Shaw is being escorted off the ice the Pens bench tries getting at him and the police had to hold them back.

I've always hated the Rangers but that just added more fuel to the fire. Its on Youtube somewhere but I don't even want to see that team. I'll always thank god for that mid 90's stike so I didn't have to watch the Rangers put up their banner. (They were supposed to open against the Pens that year)

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 03:05 PM
  #75
Burgs
Registered User
 
Burgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master View Post
true....but i have never been so proud of my team (and that includes the cups) was when al smith took on nole picard (sp.?)and the whole blues on going battle.
I've only read about that time when the Blues were our first rival. The Plager brothers, Steve Durbano, Battleship Kelly etc. Too bad there aren't many videos surviving from the 70s.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.