HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Major Move Involving Semin (Caps)

Old
06-06-2010, 12:41 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
This makes no sense to me. Semin has 1 year left on his deal, and with the deal they gave Backstrom, assuming they bury Nylander in the minors (since his NMC has expired), they should be able to resign the rest of their guys and still be cap compliant for this upcoming season. I see no reason why they would want to trade Semin right now.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:41 AM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Something's telling me this proposal is going to be hard to swallow...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:55 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
Something's telling me this proposal is going to be hard to swallow...
You win!

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

How about Semin for Vokoun?

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:00 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
Halak outdueled just about everybody in the playoffs. Varlamov is going to be a VERY good goalie soon, and if he doesnt pan out, Caps have Neuvirth and Holtby as insurance. The team is set at the goaltender position.

yep. you are right, judging by varlamov's .908 save percentage this playoff and theos .875. they are set.... for flameout after flameout. this is varlamovs 2nd straight failure, yes? last year gave up 5, 6 to pitt in a game seven and this year blows a 3-1 game lead? in game seven gives up 2 goals on only 16 shots? set for life there bubba.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Zecharia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Calgary wants a taste of Semin.

Zecharia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:12 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
This makes no sense to me. Semin has 1 year left on his deal, and with the deal they gave Backstrom, assuming they bury Nylander in the minors (since his NMC has expired), they should be able to resign the rest of their guys and still be cap compliant for this upcoming season. I see no reason why they would want to trade Semin right now.
The thought process from those Caps fans who support trading Semin is that, while we can afford him, keeping him prevents the team from meaningfully addressing almost any needs via free agency. In other words, we'll be forced to return close to the same defensive group (with maybe one $2m veteran added, but true top-4 guy), we're tied to carrying two young golaies (or 1 young goalie and some $800k journeyman veteran), and we're tied to some sort of budget #2 center ala Brendan Morrison last year. All the while, we'd be overstocked on the wings, unable to promote any one of 2-3 NHL-ready (cheap) youngsters.

If you trade Semin, some combo of Tomas Fleishmann, Eric Fehr and Brooks Laich become your 2nd line wingers (all 20+ goal scorers), a 3rd line wing spot is filled by a promoted prospect on an entry contract, and nearly all of the $6m in cap space allocated to Semin is re-distributed to areas of weakness.

Now, whether you think this plan makes sense is part and parcel with whether you think a 120-point regular season team that got Halak'd in the 1st round needs a significant re-alignment to progress further in the playoffs. Reasonable people disagree on that issue, and a lot of us go back and forth depending on the day. But as I said in a post earlier in this thread, this is all pretty hypothetical, because Semin isn't going to be traded.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:13 AM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
yep. you are right, judging by varlamov's .908 save percentage this playoff and theos .875. they are set.... for flameout after flameout. this is varlamovs 2nd straight failure, yes? last year gave up 5, 6 to pitt in a game seven and this year blows a 3-1 game lead? in game seven gives up 2 goals on only 16 shots? set for life there bubba.
Varlamov is 21. Yeah he has peaked. Guess we better trade for Thomas now.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:13 AM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
If you dont think that Varlamov is one of the up and coming goalies in this league...well...what can I tell you...maybe hockey isnt your game.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Why would the Caps dump Semin now? True they didn't go deep enough, but right now they're completely out of it.

Anyway, if they really want to shock the hockey world, Semin could probably fetch an up and coming youngster.
Trading him wouldn't be bad if they get something in return. This team needs a philosophical change and Semin is quintessential one-dimensional skilled floater that the Caps needs to get away from. (They need a Iginla-type but Iggy is too old to even contemplate one-on-one with Semen).

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:29 AM
SouthFLFan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
How about Semin for Vokoun?
be nice to see

SouthFLFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:32 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
I could actually see a three way swap of sorts:

To Toronto: Boyes Semin

To St.Louis: Kaberle

To Washington: St. Louis 1st round pick

Although Toronto gets hosed with Semin and his cap hit.
Toronto gets Boyes and Semin for Kaberle? No way in hell IMO. They need to add to make that happen.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:39 AM
nickschultzfan

To Caps
Niklas Backstrom (G) - Major upgrade in goal. A little younger and better than other available #1 goalie options.
Antti Miettinen (W) - Reliable top-9 winger who can put in 20 goals and 45 points, especially once he gets out of the tight-checking western conference.
James Sheppard (C/W) - High talent, big body young forward. Showed a lot of promise in his first two seasons (at 19 and 20) with little ice time and terrible linemates. Took a step back this season as he fell out of favor with Coach Richards. Needs a change of scenery. Hard to knock off the puck.

To Wild
Alexander Semin - Major upgrade on the wings for Minny. Same cap hit as Backstrom. Gives Koivu a winger to set-up.
Neuvirth/Holtby - Gives Wild a goalie prospect coming back to cover the loss of their top goalie.

Edit - I understand that Backstrom has a no-trade clause. He would have to be asked to waive it for the chance to go to a championship caliber team.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:42 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
To Caps
Niklas Backstrom (G) - Major upgrade in goal. A little younger and better than other available #1 goalie options.
Antti Miettinen (W) - Reliable top-9 winger who can put in 20 goals and 45 points, especially once he gets out of the tight-checking western conference.
James Sheppard (C/W) - High talent, big body young forward. Showed a lot of promise in his first two seasons with little ice time and terrible linemates. Took a step back this season as he feel out of favor with Coach Richards. Needs a change of scenery. Hard to knock off the puck.

To Wild
Alexander Semin - Major upgrade on the wings for Minny. Same cap hit as Backstrom. Gives Koivu a winger to set-up.
Neuvirth/Holtby - Gives Wild a goalie prospect coming back to cover the loss of their top goalie.
As an outside observer I like it, but for some reason most cap fans think they dont need a better goalie. Also I would consider Miettinen a top 6 forward, maybe not on the Caps but definetly on most teams, this guy was dynamite on Dallas.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:53 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

instead of the "Eklund" title option, it should be changed to "picked out of my ass"

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:00 AM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
As an outside observer I like it, but for some reason most cap fans think they dont need a better goalie. Also I would consider Miettinen a top 6 forward, maybe not on the Caps but definetly on most teams, this guy was dynamite on Dallas.
About getting a goalie...Theodore is gone, Varly and Neuvirth are promising and cheap with Holtby just behind them. It's not a top priority. Now in the right deal... Sure we might be open to it.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Quote:
To Caps
James Sheppard (C/W) - High talent, big body young forward. Showed a lot of promise in his first two seasons (at 19 and 20) with little ice time and terrible linemates. Took a step back this season as he fell out of favor with Coach Richards. Needs a change of scenery. Hard to knock off the puck.

To Wild

Edit - I understand that Backstrom has a no-trade clause. He would have to be asked to waive it for the chance to go to a championship caliber team.
good proposal. You just might deserve a pat on the back for this one.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Crobby

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Why would the Caps dump Semin now? True they didn't go deep enough, but right now they're completely out of it.
thats the thing, you don't just unload Semin for no reason

Crobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
(They need a Iginla-type but Iggy is too old to even contemplate one-on-one with Semen).
Well, I don't think he's that old quite yet.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:22 PM
i2edAlien

Quote:
To Caps

To Wild

There's only room for ONE Backstrom :p

i2edAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Burgh32

Two observations about any thread involving Alex Semin:

1. It is so irritating to wade through all the juvenille jokes to get to the posts about people actually talking hockey. Can we sticky a thread for all Semin jokes and ban them from all other hockey discussion threads?

2. It's interesting how much a young goal scorer is undervalued by even his own team's fans. I'm not arguing that there are question marks about consistency and flight risk, but 26yr old 40 goal scorers don't grow on trees either.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:56 PM
1Luongo1

Send a message via MSN to 1Luongo1 Send a message via Yahoo to 1Luongo1
Will Clitsome or Cunti be involved in this swap for Semin?

1Luongo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:57 PM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Trading him wouldn't be bad if they get something in return. This team needs a philosophical change and Semin is quintessential one-dimensional skilled floater that the Caps needs to get away from. (They need a Iginla-type but Iggy is too old to even contemplate one-on-one with Semen).

You do realize that if Iginla were going back for Semin, Washington would have to add more? Needless to say, Calgary wouldn't even consider Iggy for Semin.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:59 PM
intangible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
1. It is so irritating to wade through all the juvenille jokes to get to the posts about people actually talking hockey. Can we sticky a thread for all Semin jokes and ban them from all other hockey discussion threads?
Had a bad experience with Semin, eh?

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:26 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Semin for Brodeur (E5)

Semin for Huet (E4)

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote