HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most Physically Gifted Athlete in Hockey History

Old
03-24-2011, 07:26 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
Crosby. He's able to be the best player in the world without virtually any dangling or "skill." Although you could argue his hockey sense, but still. Athletic machine.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:07 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

vCash: 500
Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Tim Horton, Rod Brind'Amour

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
The famous quote about Bryan Fogarty by Mats Sundin:

"Bryan Fogarty could skate faster, shoot harder and pass crisper drunk than the rest of us could sober."

It is really too bad his alcoholism ruined his career before it really got started.

That being said I have to go with the usual suspects of Howe/Hull/Orr/Lemieux. Who knows who was the best of them all?
I'm familiar with the quote, but I still think there's some exaggeration there. Otherwise the guy would have just dominated drunk.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Syl Apps.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:24 AM
BubbaBoot

I still think that if Mario hadn't gotten sick / injured and lost all those years, he would've been "the greatest". His stats would've been just mind boggling.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 04:05 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Mark Messier should get an HM. I saw him on Off The Record the other day; he still looks like he could beat up half the guys in the league.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Le CH

Size + fitness = Chara.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 04:31 PM
tazzy19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
I still think that if Mario hadn't gotten sick / injured and lost all those years, he would've been "the greatest". His stats would've been just mind boggling.
How so exactly? Lemieux never had record breaking PPG numbers or even GPG numbers for any season of his career, and, despite playing far fewer games due to the afformentioned injuries and illness, especially in his post prime years, he still couldn't finish with the highest PPG average for a career. And he's still only 5th best in points in a season, and 4th best in goals in a season. So I don't really see how his stats would have been that bind boggling unless you removed one other certain player from the equation.

tazzy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 04:52 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzy19 View Post
How so exactly? Lemieux never had record breaking PPG numbers or even GPG numbers for any season of his career, and, despite playing far fewer games due to the afformentioned injuries and illness, especially in his post prime years, he still couldn't finish with the highest PPG average for a career. And he's still only 5th best in points in a season, and 4th best in goals in a season. So I don't really see how his stats would have been that bind boggling unless you removed one other certain player from the equation.
You're underestimating how much toll all those injuries can take on a player's abilities. I personally feel that we never got to see Lemieux's best. Around 1990, he suffered a herniated disc that required surgery. That was right when he was starting to show what kind of player he was, his PPG was absolutely unreal. Think what kind of numbers he could have put up if it weren't for that bad back and multiple surgeries (never mind the cancer). I have no doubt he'd have broken 200 points a few times.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 05:29 PM
tazzy19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
You're underestimating how much toll all those injuries can take on a player's abilities. I personally feel that we never got to see Lemieux's best. Around 1990, he suffered a herniated disc that required surgery. That was right when he was starting to show what kind of player he was, his PPG was absolutely unreal. Think what kind of numbers he could have put up if it weren't for that bad back and multiple surgeries (never mind the cancer). I have no doubt he'd have broken 200 points a few times.
Oh, I have no doubt he would have broken 200 points a few times as well, had he played every single game. But what I was saying is that his PPG numbers were never record breaking, so I don't see how he would have been the greatest regarless of injury or not. Even in 1990 his PPG was never record breaking. The record is 2.77 over a single season, which Lemieux has never achieved, not even during his 160 points in 60 game season. In fact, if you want to look at short periods of games, no one touches Gretzky's 153 points in 51 games during his record 51 game point streak in 84. That was exactly 3 points per game for 51 games, which, had Gretzky not been injured that year, would have been good for around 240 points over 80 games. But that's the problem with projections taken out of context of inury...if we give them to one player, then we have to give them to everyone.

Old
03-26-2011, 05:33 PM
FrozenJagrt

Who's to say he wouldn't have put up those incredible seasons if he didn't have a bad back? Obviously I have no way of knowing if you've experienced it, but I injured my back in 2006 and I'm still paying for it today, I'm simply not physically capable of doing the things I was then. Those surgeries likely curbed Mario's development, and could possibly have stolen some really special seasons.

This happens in every sport. I know that. Mario had his career, it went the way it did and there's no changing that. But I don't think it is unfair to speculate, and I feel that more than any other player in hockey (perhaps in all of athletics), Mario's injury history was the most tragic. Moreso than Orr, even. We'll never get to see just what he could have done. With that physical package and the skills he had, he could have done some truly amazing things.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 05:38 PM
tazzy19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Who's to say he wouldn't have put up those incredible seasons if he didn't have a bad back? Obviously I have no way of knowing if you've experienced it, but I injured my back in 2006 and I'm still paying for it today, I'm simply not physically capable of doing the things I was then. Those surgeries likely curbed Mario's development, and could possibly have stolen some really special seasons.

This happens in every sport. I know that. Mario had his career, it went the way it did and there's no changing that. But I don't think it is unfair to speculate, and I feel that more than any other player in hockey (perhaps in all of athletics), Mario's injury history was the most tragic. Moreso than Orr, even. We'll never get to see just what he could have done. With that physical package and the skills he had, he could have done some truly amazing things.
I agree with everything you say. Mario was incredible, and could have challenged many records had he been healthy. He, above anyone else, was the only challenger really (as the greatest forward in history)....but still would have come up short IMO when you really examine all the facts.