HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Bobby Ryan

Old
06-10-2010, 03:59 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Bobby Ryan

There is a lot of talk about Ryan. If Kovy or Marleau are unattainable how about Ryan. What would ya give to get. Only 23 and quite the player.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:07 PM
DeeMeck

I think Ryan is more untouchable than Getzlaf.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:09 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

What makes you think that? I couldn't disagree with you more. Getzlaff is the dux heart and soul.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
There is a lot of talk about Ryan. If Kovy or Marleau are unattainable how about Ryan. What would ya give to get. Only 23 and quite the player.
IMO-It's Nothing more than the Canadian media wanting something to talk about.
Burke doesn't have the picks to offer sheet him and they are dreaming up a trade.
The Ducks aren't moving this guy. If they theoretically do, it isn't going to be to their crosstown rival.

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Ryan is going no where, he's only 23.

The Ducks have over $20 million in cap space with 19 players under contract. They can match any offer if needed

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:14 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Ryan could be a king without being traded here. Just wait for his UFA status next off season.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:16 PM
DeeMeck

Ryan>Kessel

2 1sts and Schenn would be the starting point.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Ryan could be a king without being traded here. Just wait for his UFA status next off season.
Ryan won't be an UFA for (at least) 4 more years

Quote:
- In 2008, 27 years old or seven years in the NHL. The 2008 benchmark remains in place for the life of the agreement.
Under the old system, players did not qualify for the open market until the age of 31.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:25 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Ryan won't be an UFA for (at least) 4 more years
Well, according to capgeek, he's a RFA next season, so as long as Ryan doesn't sign any offer sheets or contract extensions, he'll be an UFA at the end of next season.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Well, according to capgeek, he's a RFA next season, so as long as Ryan doesn't sign any offer sheets or contract extensions, he'll be an UFA at the end of next season.
What are you smoking?

Old
06-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

Quote:
That's not how it works

Old
06-10-2010, 04:36 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
What are you smoking?

Yeah, that's very helpful!!!

Anyone kind enough to try and explain?

Old
06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

Quote:
Yeah, that's very helpful!!!

Anyone kind enough to try and explain?
I already posted an explanation a few posts ago. Bobby Ryan won't be a UFA for at least 4 years. As long as the Ducks make a qualifying offer, which they'll do, they will maintain his rights until then.
The exceptions are group VI RFAs but Ryan has played too many games.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:46 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
I already posted an explanation a few posts ago. Bobby Ryan won't be a UFA for at least 4 years. As long as the Ducks make a qualifying offer, which they'll do, they will maintain his rights until then.
The exceptions are group VI RFAs but Ryan has played too many games.
So, basically, Ryan has no say on the matter as long as the dux make him a qualifying offer?

I'm still a bit confused as to why Ryan's situation would be any different than that of Simmonds, JJ or DD for that matter. Is it the age?

Old
06-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

Quote:
So, basically, Ryan has no say on the matter as long as the dux make him a qualifying offer?

I'm still a bit confused as to why Ryan's situation would be any different than that of Simmonds, JJ or DD for that matter. Is it the age?
Ryan can elect arbitration or sign an offer sheet (if one is presented) if he doesn't like the Ducks offer. He also has the option to demand, or request a trade if He weren't happy with the Ducks for some reason.

Ryan's situation is no different than JJ, DD, or Smmonds.

The exception are GroupVI free agents, like parse was where they reach 26 and haven't played a whole lot of games.
Quote:
Group VI -- The players marked (VI) qualify for unrestricted free agency, having met the requirements for Group VI free agency. These players, whose contracts have expired, are age 25 or older, have completed three or more professional seasons, and (i) in the case of a player other than a goaltender have played fewer than 80 NHL games (regular-season and playoff), or (ii) in the case of a goaltender have played fewer than 28 NHL games (regular-season and playoff).

Old
06-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
What makes you think that? I couldn't disagree with you more. Getzlaff is the dux heart and soul.
He has a heart?

Quote:
Exactly. Hence the term "restricted". He is their property until he meets the requirements of becoming a UFA which is based off tenure etc. They only way out is requesting a trade or an offer sheet but the Ducks still have the rights to match any offer.

I'm pretty sure the youngest a player can reach UFA status is 25 and that means you would have to be in the NHL as an 18 year old. Something like 7 nhl seasons is the qualifier there.

EDIT: See Foo Foo's post. There is more than one way to become a UFA though.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
He has a heart?
More Heart than hair!

Old
06-10-2010, 05:25 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
He's actually an RFA right now. So if the Ducks don't think they can afford to sign him right now for what he wants (I heard somewhere around $5-$5.5 million), then they might look at trading him away. If some other team send him an offer sheet for that amount, and the Ducks don't want to or can't match it, they receive compensation (2 first rounders or something, I'm too lazy to look it up right now). But they may think that trading him before July 1st will bring a better return than the compensation they would get for him.

I think it all depends on Neidermeyer and Selanne. If they decide to come back to the Ducks that would eat up somewhere around $10 of the $20 million they have remaining, and they would still need to sign a few more guys. So if Ryan wants $5 million, nw they have about $5 million left to sign 3 or 4 guys. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's not like they have endless amounts of cap space like someone else posted.

Maybe Ryan is looking for Toews numbers, which is $6.5 million. They're stats are comparable, and you can't count Toews Stanley Cup or Conn Smythe trophy's because he didn't have those when he signed his contract. Even if he doesn't deserve Toews type money, he still might be asking for it and the Ducks might not want to pay it to him.

Last edited by tantrum4*: 06-10-2010 at 05:30 PM.
tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 05:43 PM
DeeMeck

He deserves 5+ mil.

Toews and Kessel are the comparables. He has outscored Toews, and has the same amount of goals as Kessel over the last 2 years.

He is gonna get paid.

I wonder if the KHL has sniffed around him.

Has Peter Harrold found his jock yet?

Old
06-10-2010, 05:54 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Ryan is going no where, he's only 23.

The Ducks have over $20 million in cap space with 19 players under contract. They can match any offer if needed
I believe the Ducks have an internal CAP.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I believe the Ducks have an internal CAP.

They do. But even with that it would be hard to believe that they would even think about trading a talent like Bobby Ryan.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 05:58 PM
William H Bonney

The chances of him being on the Kings while he's still an RFA? 0%. Because Lombardi isn't going to give him an offer sheet and he's not going to trade them Doughty/Kopitar or some combo of Johnson/Simmer/Brown/Schenn/etc to get it done either. Bobby Ryan is great though. I wish he was a King.

Assuming he wants to stay a Duck and doesn't try to force his way out, he should get a contract with a cap hit equal to that of Getzlaf/Perry, 5.325 a year. The sticking point will be one of two (or both) things. 1) Do Selanne/Niedermayer want to come back and make one last run at a Cup and what will they want to do so, assuming Anaheim is on board for that? They could trade Ryan for picks/prospects if necessary for that. 2) Contract length. I'm sure Anaheim will be pressing hard to get him to sign a contract like Zach Parise did where they'll still have him as an RFA when that contract expires. Parise's deal was a ridiculous steal for the Devils and would be a major coup for the Ducks if they could pull it off. I don't think Ryan's agent will allow that to happen though, at least not for a 3.125 cap hit.

06-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
No way they let Ryan go unless someone is going to offer him some ridiculous Crosby offer and setup the Ducks' rebuild for life while staying competitive.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 08:20 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Ryan can elect arbitration or sign an offer sheet (if one is presented) if he doesn't like the Ducks offer. He also has the option to demand, or request a trade if He weren't happy with the Ducks for some reason.

Ryan's situation is no different than JJ, DD, or Smmonds.

The exception are GroupVI free agents, like parse was where they reach 26 and haven't played a whole lot of games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Exactly. Hence the term "restricted". He is their property until he meets the requirements of becoming a UFA which is based off tenure etc. They only way out is requesting a trade or an offer sheet but the Ducks still have the rights to match any offer.

I'm pretty sure the youngest a player can reach UFA status is 25 and that means you would have to be in the NHL as an 18 year old. Something like 7 nhl seasons is the qualifier there.

EDIT: See Foo Foo's post. There is more than one way to become a UFA though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
He's actually an RFA right now. So if the Ducks don't think they can afford to sign him right now for what he wants (I heard somewhere around $5-$5.5 million), then they might look at trading him away. If some other team send him an offer sheet for that amount, and the Ducks don't want to or can't match it, they receive compensation (2 first rounders or something, I'm too lazy to look it up right now). But they may think that trading him before July 1st will bring a better return than the compensation they would get for him.

I think it all depends on Neidermeyer and Selanne. If they decide to come back to the Ducks that would eat up somewhere around $10 of the $20 million they have remaining, and they would still need to sign a few more guys. So if Ryan wants $5 million, nw they have about $5 million left to sign 3 or 4 guys. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's not like they have endless amounts of cap space like someone else posted.

Maybe Ryan is looking for Toews numbers, which is $6.5 million. They're stats are comparable, and you can't count Toews Stanley Cup or Conn Smythe trophy's because he didn't have those when he signed his contract. Even if he doesn't deserve Toews type money, he still might be asking for it and the Ducks might not want to pay it to him.
Ok, that explains a lot. And, thanks for taking the time for all your input. However, I'm still a bit fuzzy about Ryan demanding/requesting for a trade. If Ryan requests for a trade, is that something the dux have to honor? And if it is, then I guess it's up to the dux (not Ryan) to decide to which team they'll trade Ryan, correct?

And if Ryan does get traded, (which seems highly unlikely) does the new team now have to go through the same procedures that the dux went through i.e. arbitration, offer sheet etc until they can agree upon a new deal?

Old
06-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Ok, that explains a lot. And, thanks for taking the time for all your input. However, I'm still a bit fuzzy about Ryan demanding/requesting for a trade. If Ryan requests for a trade, is that something the dux have to honor? And if it is, then I guess it's up to the dux (not Ryan) to decide to which team they'll trade Ryan, correct?

And if Ryan does get traded, (which seems highly unlikely) does the new team now have to go through the same procedures that the dux went through i.e. arbitration, offer sheet etc until they can agree upon a new deal?
Yes, the Ducks own him until he's 27. They don't have to trade him and if no one sends an offer sheet, his only option is the KHL since there is no transfer agreement.

If the Ducks trade his rights, his new team still has to sign him to a contract. Most teams negotiate with an RFA before the trade is approved. They don't want to trade for a player that won't sign with them.

Doughty, Simmonds and Johnson are all gong to be RFAs as well. The Kings will have the same benefits as the Ducks do with Ryan.

The Ducks could also match an offer sheet and still trade Ryan with his new contract.