HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather speaks/GM has blueprint for Blueshirt future

Old
06-07-2010, 08:45 AM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
In 3 years, they will be ready to be in Chicago's position.
Good to hear. Who will play the roles of Toews, Kane and Keith?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Toews = Stepan
Kane = Kreider
Keith = Del Zotto

What?

Hey in a perfect world, it'd work out something like that. And in theory, if those guys reach their potential, they might not be *that* far off, though I think Kane's high end is a pretty good bit higher than Kreiders.

Stepan actually kind of compares decently well with Toews at the moment. Of course it's just the whole problem of making a successful transition to the NHL.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:02 AM
beastly115

By the way, does anyone else find it funny how Sather is claiming that Girardi is part of our core, when Girardi was clearly trade bait at the deadline? Make up your mind Sather.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:09 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I have to agree and I'll go one step further and say the core is really just Gaborik, Staal, Del Zotto, and Lundqvist. I like what Callahan and Dubinsky bring to the table, but for the right deal I would have no problem moving them. Same for Anisimov.
Cally, Dubi and Artie are part of the core. It's possible that none of them will ever be 1st line players, but they are all valuable players who bring more to the team than just points. Teams don't win without depth. Trading any one of these players for a more 1 dimensional player who scores a bit more would be a mistake.

I think all 3 will have career years next season. We just need to be patient. No trading our young guys for quick fixes. No big free agent signings when we can't afford them, and aren't ready to compete anyway. If we are smart now, we can position ourselves for real success in a couple years.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:10 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
By the way, does anyone else find it funny how Sather is claiming that Girardi is part of our core, when Girardi was clearly trade bait at the deadline? Make up your mind Sather.
Where was this reported?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:18 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Where was this reported?
Though I don't remember it being officially reported, I do remember quite a few grouping Girardi with the R & R boys for a little while...

Obviously doesn't mean jack to Sather

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:27 AM
gus1

Quote:
where is your prove that sather was trading him

gus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:04 AM
pld459666

The part of the conversatino that Larry Brooks is not showing:

Glen, when you say no "overpaying" for UFA's, what does that mean to you?

"Well, lets say Kovalchuk's agent comes to me wanting 10 million a year. Well that's just crazy. We will NOT be overpaying for UFA's. We just wont."

"We will go no higer than 9.5 million per season as that is market value. We are not going to be tricked into paying anything more than 10.5 million per year for this young man."

When pressed about the subject Sather ended the conversation stating that in his opinion 20% of the Cap was as high as he would go for 10 years.

I'm scared.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Toews = Stepan
Kane = Kreider
Keith = Del Zotto

What?

Hey in a perfect world, it'd work out something like that. And in theory, if those guys reach their potential, they might not be *that* far off, though I think Kane's high end is a pretty good bit higher than Kreiders.

Stepan actually kind of compares decently well with Toews at the moment. Of course it's just the whole problem of making a successful transition to the NHL.
WOW. I wish I could share your... optimism? I guess I would call it. If that were to happen that would be incredible.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:53 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Though I don't remember it being officially reported, I do remember quite a few grouping Girardi with the R & R boys for a little while...

Obviously doesn't mean jack to Sather
Still comes down to the fact that he wasn't traded... If Sather really wanted to trade him, he would be gone.

I like that Torts seems to see Girardi as an important player. He's very good. Plays pretty physical, doesn't make a ton of errors and he can move the puck a bit. Still getting better as well. In the salary cap world though, you just hope you can keep these guys at good contracts. With any type of hard cap though, you never can really keep everyone that you want.

This is what sucks about having a hard cap. You get penalized in a way for being good drafters. You can never have that unbelievable draft and keep everyone. It starts to make the entire league feel more like a mercenary league.

NBA has the best system as far as that goes imo.. It is actually possible in that league to keep players you drafted based on the fact that you can pay them more than other teams.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
This is what sucks about having a hard cap. You get penalized in a way for being good drafters. You can never have that unbelievable draft and keep everyone. It starts to make the entire league feel more like a mercenary league.

NBA has the best system as far as that goes imo.. It is actually possible in that league to keep players you drafted based on the fact that you can pay them more than other teams.
That's the way the owners wanted it. Regardless, Girardi wasn't drafted.

06-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
WOW. I wish I could share your... optimism? I guess I would call it. If that were to happen that would be incredible.
I was partly joking, though if the Rangers best prospects DO turn out, then they will have a very strong lineup. The catch is always getting your best prospects to reach their potential when you don't get to draft high

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:08 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Well, hopefully our prospects turn out well.

Semi-refreshing to hear, I guess.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:48 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Still comes down to the fact that he wasn't traded... If Sather really wanted to trade him, he would be gone.

I like that Torts seems to see Girardi as an important player. He's very good. Plays pretty physical, doesn't make a ton of errors and he can move the puck a bit. Still getting better as well. In the salary cap world though, you just hope you can keep these guys at good contracts. With any type of hard cap though, you never can really keep everyone that you want.

Since I have been a fan (going back to the mid to late 70's) the NHL has always had that Mercenary feel to it.

It was/is/will be odd where a player retires on the same team that drafted him. The problem that we face today is now it's the players that have just as much say in where they go and do not go as opposed to being pawns to be moved and shifted at the teams expense and leisure.

How may Rangers can you name that were drafted, developed, played and retired as Rangers and never played for another franchise.

It's not just the Rangers either. The Majority of teams share the same experience.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Since I have been a fan (going back to the mid to late 70's) the NHL has always had that Mercenary feel to it.

It was/is/will be odd where a player retires on the same team that drafted him. The problem that we face today is now it's the players that have just as much say in where they go and do not go as opposed to being pawns to be moved and shifted at the teams expense and leisure.

How may Rangers can you name that were drafted, developed, played and retired as Rangers and never played for another franchise.

It's not just the Rangers either. The Majority of teams share the same experience.
I can only think of three: Gilbert, Greschner and Richter.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 02:08 PM
frisland

After a quick look through hockeydb I can add Jan Erixon to that short list ....

oh and Dan Blackburn

frisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:34 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I love selective quoting! No one because there is only one of each of those players. Actors nor clones will be permitted in the NHL by that time.

In all seriousness, by "in [chicago's] position", I mean they can be in a position to compete for the stanley cup. We won't have exact copies of players who fill roles like Chicago's core but players like MDZ show great promise to put up numbers like Keith's. Staal is comparable to Seabrook. Grachev could be like Byfuglien. Gaborik and Kane are comparable in contribution. Toews we have nothing like but Anisimov and Stepan show promise. We don't have equal parts but there are many good parts. My main point is to get them playing as many of them are ready to make the jump and if we let them play, learn, and get better, (going with Sather's supposed long term strategy) we will be in a competitive position much like how Chicago is in a competitive position. We also have this guy called Henke. Niemi might be decent but he is def no Lundqvist.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:57 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You can add Vickers and Tkaczuk to that list.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:48 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I still think this so-called "blueprint" is nothing more than Sather being up against the cap.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:25 PM
chosen

Quote:
I love selective quoting! No one because there is only one of each of those players. Actors nor clones will be permitted in the NHL by that time.

In all seriousness, by "in [chicago's] position", I mean they can be in a position to compete for the stanley cup. We won't have exact copies of players who fill roles like Chicago's core but players like MDZ show great promise to put up numbers like Keith's. Staal is comparable to Seabrook. Grachev could be like Byfuglien. Gaborik and Kane are comparable in contribution. Toews we have nothing like but Anisimov and Stepan show promise. We don't have equal parts but there are many good parts. My main point is to get them playing as many of them are ready to make the jump and if we let them play, learn, and get better, (going with Sather's supposed long term strategy) we will be in a competitive position much like how Chicago is in a competitive position. We also have this guy called Henke. Niemi might be decent but he is def no Lundqvist.
You're right. If every single thing goes perfectly in the next three years, the Rangers could contend for the Cup. The same can be said for every single team in the entire NHL.

You compared the future Rangers to Chicago. It's legit to ask who you see manning the most important roles that correspond to Toews, Kane and Keith, whether you find it to be selective quoting or not.

Yes, if Anisimov or Stepan became Toews, there might be a chance of contending. You do realize that there is good a chance of them being fringe players also. Projecting either one as a possible Toews at this point is laughable. Doesn't mean it can't happen but if either leads the NHL Playoffs in scoring, I'll be impressed.

If there is no Toews equivalent, we got nothing, so let's all hope for the best and try and remain grounded in reality until then.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Why was he "clearly trade bait?"

Because the village idiot came on here and said it in one of his many lame attempts for attention?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:35 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
No. Its actually intelligent on Sather's part. If he says "we aren't sure that he will be in our future plans", that would clearly lower his value.

Say that he is part of our core could put his trade value a bit higher. It basically says that they will not give him up for nothing.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:26 PM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Walt Tkaczuk, Steve Vickers

Sorry didn't catch that someone else posted this.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:31 PM
trilobyte

It would be a good thing to get past the Voros era. All the up and down "he's okay, he's crap, he can't fight but he tries, look what he did with Gaborik'.

Enough. Enough Aaron Voros. I don't mean to get rid of him just for the sake of it, but if NYR cannot find someone better than Voros, then that is sad.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Pizza

Quote:

I was listening to an interview with Leslie Treff. She said the Rangers were trying to get Gratchev to play a much more physical game in Hartford than she thinks he's capable of playing.

She thinks they should just let him develop his scoring touch.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote