HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Funny Old Threads

Old
06-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Cartered

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Funny Old Threads

Couldn't sleep at all tonight because I just want Game 5 to start now. I spent most of the night tweaking the lines of my HFNHL team, but that got boring, so I decided to have a look in the archives of our forum and read some funny threads. Here are the best ones I found:

Gagne for Comrie - November 2003: The amount of people who supported a Gagne for Comrie swap, straight across, is pretty funny looking back on it. Hindsight is 20/20, but man, I'm glad we didn't make that deal.

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: Fire Bobby Clarke
Quote:
I am so sick of all this Comrie for Gagne talk...Gagne is the better player and will be the better player in the future. We don't need another Center let alone giving up a winger for one.
This x100000000000000

---

Very Interesting! OHL 'Spect Rankings - December 2003: Ranking of 58 NHL draftees playing in the OHL in 2003.

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: Hockeysfuture OHL Staff
Quote:
1 Jeff Carter C SSM PHI 11 03
2 Daniel Paille LW GUE BUF 20 02
3 Ben Eager LW OSH PHO 23 02
And somewhere, a Coyotes fan weeps...

---

What could have been. - December 2003: A poster named Rails laments at the team's inability to keep Maxime Ouellet following his 5-0 shutout of powerhouse Atlanta in Washington.

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: John Flyers Fan
Quote:
one game does not make a career
That Adam Oates failure stings a little bit less looking back. At least none of our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks in 2002 panned out for the Caps either.

---

New Rumor... - December 2003: Teezax reports a rumor of Primeau and Esche to Tampa Bay for Khabibulin. Interesting looking at this proposal knowing how the rest of that series played out. Even though Khabi was an upgrade over Esche, I think that team would have been out so much earlier if not for Primeau's leadership.

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: wasting time

Quote:
Handzus and Esche for Theodore

You're silly.
He's laughing at our offer.

---

Rumor: Biron to Phi. - January 2004: Poster JOHNBOY calls Biron to the Flyers. About three years too early. And for Simon Gagne.

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: Takeo

Quote:
Miller would be perfect as a back-up to Esche. I believe he could be the franchise goalie we've wanted for the team in a few years. He is only twenty-three or twenty-four.
Oh, if only...

---

HF places Flyers at #27 in organizational ranking - February 2004: HF ranks us at 27/30 for prospects in the system. Two of the teams that we finished ahead of were the Hurricanes (Cam Ward) and the Rangers (Henrik Lundqvist)

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: Ronnie Bass

Quote:
I really thought you guys would have been higher with Jeff Carter and Mike Richards.

---

Game 5 Flyers vrs Devils. Time to put this one to rest boys. - April 2004: GDT for an elimination game and it's only four pages long. Why were GDTs so short back then? Less people with laptops/smartphones posting on the go?

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: Rails

Quote:
I am going to say 3-2. It'll end like it began.
Close enough.

---

GDT: Flyers @ Lightning Game 6 (DO OR DIE) 19:30PM - May 2004: Reaction to Primeau's GTG on Page 5. It only gets better from there.

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: King Fish

Quote:
20 min away from tee times! We are playing too sloppy to beat a team like Tampa. Let's cross our fingers and hope Primeau can make it happen. If we can pull this out it's going to be almost impossible to win in Tampa. Let's go Esche! Let's go Flyers!
This guy knows locker-room talk.

---

What is Richards value - November 2004: A spectacular idea. Richards to the Flames, as long as they can keep Phaneuf.

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: mercury

Quote:
That would be close, in my opinion. How about spicing it up a little? Richards and a Flyers roster player for Donovan and Ramholt?
Donovan AND Ramholt? Quit teasing.

---

I've made the Flyers website! REVISED!! I'm on the cover of THE HOCKEY NEWS! - July 2005: This is pretty funny. I've seen this guy's (screaming JR jersey guy) picture a few times on various Flyers ads, but I never knew he was a friend of a poster on this forum.

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: CanuckistanFlyersFan

Quote:
Congratulations...aaaaaaaand you're 15 minutes are up!!
I saw that picture as recently as 2008 in advertisements. At least, the guy in the Flyers jersey. Too bad for Flyers26, it seems like his buddy Todd stole the spotlight

---

You know what's going to be real sad..... - July 2005: It's almost prophetic.

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: GagneScores12

Quote:
The NHL, if their marketing geniuses can ever get it right, will have a field day marketing Ovechkin vs Crosby games. However, we have two super prospects who are up there with Crosby and Ovechkin and how much do you want to bet that Carter and Richards will be pushed to the backburner. That pisses me off. You can bet that in the head to head, Carter and Richards won't see Ovechkin or Crosby and vice versa. As well, you can bet that Ovechkin and Crosby will get tons of ice time and Carter and Richards will be lucky if they get 7 to 10 minutes of ice time throughout the game.
Well, he's right in the first half of the post, anyway.

---

Philadelphia Flyers 2005 Draft Thread - July 2005: Lots of funny stuff in this 7-page thread. It's always fun to look back on draft day threads.

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: go kim johnsson 514

Quote:
BTW Darren Dreiger is reporting Anaheim is set to take Bobby Ryan at #2, hopefully ending all doubts and such foolish talk and idiocy like trading Michal Handzus for an unproven player who can't skate.
Ouch.

---

Draft Day - June 2006: The fateful day when we drafted our favorite third-line plugger, what's-his-face.

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Well, I can honestly say that we've got to have one of the better corps of forwards now in the NHL. I was absolutely breathless and shocked that the Flyers took Giroux. I'm really, really, really happy with the pick because he's going to be that playmaking right winger that we've all been talking about.
Yeah, and he's a great plugger too!

---

Flyers claim Michael Leighton off waivers - January 2007: The first time, that is.

Nostradamus Award of the Thread: The Inebriator

Quote:
Can we let this guy play yet, please? Who knows, maybe he'll give us a better shot than the crap esche and niitty have given us this season
Maybe.

---

Well, this killed off a solid hour and a half. Only 12 hours and 12 minutes to go to game time. Hmm, 12 and 12... so Gagne will score twice tonight. lol numerology

Cheers. Hope you guys get a kick out of this. If you find anymore funny threads, feel free to post them up.

Cartered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:11 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Oh wow, I remember a few of those discussions.

Flyers26 (the guy who made the cover) hasn't been around here in ages, but was one of the best posters, and a great guy.

HF was very different back then - it was a lot of fun, especially between team boards. I don't recall a lot of trolling going on, to be honest.

We (the SOB - Society of the Orange and Black) had a howl with the BWO - Buds World Order - I came in near the end of the first wave of war I think. There aren't many that are still around, but JohnFlyersFan would be able to tell you more.

The game day threads were short because people were either at the game or not able to watch the game and post at the same time.

The rankings of the OHL players is hilarious -- Anthony Stewart is a player that everyone figured would be very, very good. But Ryan Donnally at 20 is hysterical - he wasn't that good an OHL'er....

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:30 AM
JVR21
G

It's crazy how much of our team came from that 2003 draft class.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:47 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronger is a robot View Post
Hope you guys get a kick out of this.
That was fun, dude, thanks.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I knew I had to come up somewhere, I've been around too long.

FWIW, that's only because that was the knock on Bobby Ryan, according to others. I had no way of seeing for myself. He also wasn't picked for that previous WJC team. I've since become a bit more open to rating players I've never seen (see the draft boards on the prospect forum I've been posting). Anyways, I was fully against taking him, and his next contract is going to be a cap killer because the Ducks and he seem to be not on the same page.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:28 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
The GDT was awesome to read lol.

Markov ruled.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 04:38 PM
BringBackStevens

I made the Nostradamus pick. Haha. It's funny how bad that season was that I was clamoring for Leighton to be put in just to see what he had. The next time he was claimed (this season) you can find that thread and find me saying how it was awful. And now he's 2 games away from winning a Stanley Cup. Crazy. Wish I could have said that I actually believed that way back in '07

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 04:43 PM
mm6492

Nice work...that was a good read!!

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 04:43 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Oh wow, I remember a few of those discussions.

Flyers26 (the guy who made the cover) hasn't been around here in ages, but was one of the best posters, and a great guy.

HF was very different back then - it was a lot of fun, especially between team boards. I don't recall a lot of trolling going on, to be honest.

We (the SOB - Society of the Orange and Black) had a howl with the BWO - Buds World Order - I came in near the end of the first wave of war I think. There aren't many that are still around, but JohnFlyersFan would be able to tell you more.

The game day threads were short because people were either at the game or not able to watch the game and post at the same time.

The rankings of the OHL players is hilarious -- Anthony Stewart is a player that everyone figured would be very, very good. But Ryan Donnally at 20 is hysterical - he wasn't that good an OHL'er....
The increase in trolling "shockingly" coincided with the emergence and shove-down-your-throat marketing of two players in particular...

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 04:59 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

That was sweet.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:10 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
The increase in trolling "shockingly" coincided with the emergence and shove-down-your-throat marketing of two players in particular...
Yeah in some ways, HF was more enjoyable then, I remember tons of banter with the Lightning and Leaf fans during the 04 run, now you get a ton more trolling.

On the other hand, stuff like the Obsequious banter thread and etc. wouldn't have existed plus the GDTs are longer/more entertaining.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:03 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Wow, that GDT was only 10 pages long?

We get to ten pages halfway through the first period now.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote