HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Team Finland @ 2011 U20WJC's

Old
10-26-2010, 11:48 PM
LoveHateLeafs

vCash: 500
Just out of curiosity, has anyone around here seen Olli Määttä play? Looking the (limited) stats, he seems to have established himself in the Mestis. Can anyone give a quick sketch of his playing style/strengths/weaknesses?

LoveHateLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateLeafs View Post
Just out of curiosity, has anyone around here seen Olli Määttä play? Looking the (limited) stats, he seems to have established himself in the Mestis. Can anyone give a quick sketch of his playing style/strengths/weaknesses?
Haven't seen him playing in Mestis yet, so hard to say how he's performing there. In juniors he's a reliable all-around defenseman, has the stamina to play top pairing minutes. Looks physically mature for his age. Nice frame and reach, looks about 6'1'' tall, as reported. Good but not an elite skater. For a 16-year old Finn his defensive play is advanced, reads the game pretty well and is rarely caught out of position in the defensive zone. Not overly aggressive, has a Lidström'ish approach to the defensive game. Good first pass and a decent shot from the point. Protects the puck well and has above average puckhandling skills. Will take part to an offensive play if there's a clear opening, might even go to the net. Based on my limited viewing I'd say that he has a good chance of becoming a mid-round draftee in 2012, if he's still growing, might go even higher than that.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:34 AM
LoveHateLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Haven't seen him playing in Mestis yet, so hard to say how he's performing there. In juniors he's a reliable all-around defenseman, has the stamina to play top pairing minutes. Looks physically mature for his age. Nice frame and reach, looks about 6'1'' tall, as reported. Good but not an elite skater. For a 16-year old Finn his defensive play is advanced, reads the game pretty well and is rarely caught out of position in the defensive zone. Not overly aggressive, has a Lidström'ish approach to the defensive game. Good first pass and a decent shot from the point. Protects the puck well and has above average puckhandling skills. Will take part to an offensive play if there's a clear opening, might even go to the net. Based on my limited viewing I'd say that he has a good chance of becoming a mid-round draftee in 2012, if he's still growing, might go even higher than that.
Thanks for the response. Have any 16 year old D-men made an impact in the Mestis in recent years?

LoveHateLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 04:49 AM
FrankTheTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateLeafs View Post
Thanks for the response. Have any 16 year old D-men made an impact in the Mestis in recent years?
There's no any 16 year old D-men made an impact even in U20 league in recent years. So this year seems to be something really special because there's also Ville Pokka and Rasmus Ristolainen whose playing in U20 league and especially Pokka is doing really well. Ristolainen was injured but now he's healthy and will be really good when he get more games. And if someone didn't already got it, Pokka and Ristolainen are also 16 years old D-men.

FrankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:36 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Team Finland for the U20 tournament in Czech Republic

AITTOKALLIO Sami, Ilves Tampere
ORTIO Joni, TPS Turku

JOKIPAKKA Jyrki, Ilves Tampere
KIVISTÖ TOMMI, Jokerit Helsinki
MANELIUS Nico, Jokerit Helsinki
MÄÄTTÄ Olli, JYP Jyväskylä
PIETILÄ Juha-Pekka, Pelicans Lahti
VATANEN Sami, JYP Jyväskylä
VIRTANEN Jesse, Lukko Rauma

ARMIA Joel, Ässät Pori
DONSKOI Joonas, Kärpät Oulu
GRANLUND Mikael, HIFK Helsinki
JUNTTILA Julius, Kärpät Oulu
MUSTONEN Joel, Skellefteå AIK
PAKARINEN Iiro, KalPa Kuopio
PIITULAINEN Jesper, SaPKo Savonlinna
PULKKINEN Teemu, Jokerit Helsinki
RAJALA Toni, Ilves Tampere
SALOMÄKI Miikka, Kärpät Oulu
TUOMINEN Henri, Ilves Tampere
TURTIAINEN Jaakko, HPK Hämeenlinna
VIRKKUNEN Valtteri, Blues Espoo

A few surprises, I might say.

In D, the biggest one must be the inclusion of Olli Määttä, though I doubt he'll make the final team, likely a test case and a placeholder for Rissanen. Still, curious to see what he can do on U20 level. Other than that, I guess we're looking at our IHJWC defense.

On forwards, well... biggest omission must be Salmivirta. Nättinen is still injured, but I expect him to make the final roster. The largest surprise on this one is Joel Mustonen. Who is he, anyway? I admit, a total blindside to me. He's a centre, apparently, and we'll need those, I suppose. Still, I expect him and either Salomäki or Virkkunen making room for Nättinen (if healthy in time) and Haula in the final roster.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
A few surprises, I might say.

In D, the biggest one must be the inclusion of Olli Määttä, though I doubt he'll make the final team, likely a test case and a placeholder for Rissanen. Still, curious to see what he can do on U20 level. Other than that, I guess we're looking at our IHJWC defense.
Vatanen, Kivistö, Jokipakka, Rissanen and Manelius are probably fairly safe bets for the final team. On the other hand Juha-Pekka Pietilä, Jesse Virtanen and Olli Määttä might still need to prove that they can play at this level. Lauri Kärmeniemi and Simo-Pekka Riikola have lately been playing in SM-liiga and might still have an outside chance of making the final team, especially if they continue to perform well and the coaching staff decides to add some puck moving ability to the blue line.

Old
11-02-2010, 09:45 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Lauri Kärmeniemi and Simo-Pekka Riikola have lately been playing in SM-liiga and might still have an outside chance of making the final team, especially if they continue to perform well and the coaching staff decides to add some puck moving ability to the blue line.
I'm aware of both of them, especially Kärmeniemi (he was in my prediction squad a couple of weeks back) and I wouldn't mind seeing him in the team, but the management ought to be too and they omitted him. He hasn't been a part of any Mestis tour teams either, so the signs don't bode well for his inclusion.

Old
11-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
He hasn't been a part of any Mestis tour teams either, so the signs don't bode well for his inclusion.
Early in the season Kärmeniemi was injured/ill and after that he has been playing in SM-liiga, so that's probably the reason why he hasn't played any Mestis games with the U20 team. If there are injuries or Pietilä, Virtanen and Mättä fail to impress in the upcoming 4 nations tournament, Kärmeniemi could still make the team. But as I said, it's an outside chance.

Old
11-02-2010, 12:55 PM
bebl

Ville Pokka trains now with Kärpät and might play in this week.

bebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:21 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Early in the season Kärmeniemi was injured/ill and after that he has been playing in SM-liiga, so that's probably the reason why he hasn't played any Mestis games with the U20 team. If there are injuries or Pietilä, Virtanen and Mättä fail to impress in the upcoming 4 nations tournament, Kärmeniemi could still make the team. But as I said, it's an outside chance.
Kärmeniemi travels to Denmark with the U19 "challenger" team, and he'll likely be spearheading that group and get big minutes, so he perhaps has a better shot than I first estimated.

Virtanen is the one I'd pin as the first snub out of that D. As I said already, Määttä is likely a placeholder for Rissanen and I can see now what Pietilä does there, considering he's the only right-hooked D-man in that squad apart from Vatanen. Of course, that's not as huge issue as it could be considering the huge amount of R-sided wingers in the squad (Pulkkinen, Donskoi, Armia, Piitulainen) who could be capable of manning the blueline on PP. Also, Vatanen is wholly capable of pulling double shift in both units.

Old
11-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Tormentor

First change to the 4 nations tournament roster that's going to Czech Republic. Mikael Granlund who's still out because of a concussion will be replaced by Oula Palve.

...Interesting, could this mean that Palve is above Salmivirta and Markus Granlund in the depth chart? Palve seems like a smart player with a pretty good two-way game, so perhaps this is a compromise, a better defensive awareness than Markus Granlund and a slightly more imaginative offensive game than Salmivirta.

Also as a side note; Jesse Virtanen will play his first SM-liiga game tonight. (EDIT: First SM-liiga game of the season that is, didn't remember that he had already played one game last season.)

Last edited by Tormentor: 11-04-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old
11-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Korkki

First, I'm a bit surprised that Granlund is not replaced by his younger brother... And second, is the 1st line center spot written to the stone for Granlund? Haula has been continuing his over point per game streak for third season in a row now and though NCAA is not as hard as SM-liiga Granlund has suffered from injuries and missed quite a lot of games. And I think that Marjamäki and co are a bit more aware what goes on in the other side of the Atlantic...

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 03:57 AM
Quethas

Send a message via MSN to Quethas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebl View Post
Ville Pokka trains now with Kärpät and might play in this week.
He played with Kärpät yesterday. So 16-year old defender played his first SM-liiga game. Not too common.

Maybe Marjamäki wants to test Palve against stronger opponents? I think he knows pretty well what Markus Granlund for an example can do, but maybe Palve is bit more unknown. And I read that Ma. Granlund wasn't too impressive in his SM-liiga games. Potential and talent is there, but he couldn't yet play that well against men. Maybe next season?

Quethas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:30 AM
The Saw Is the Law

I guess Markus Granlund is not in U20 teams because his main target may be U18 competition? He is in U18 team which play in Sweden this weekend.

U20 tour in Czech Republic. Yesterday that team practised agains KooKoo from Mestis.

Line ups:

Rajala-Palve-Pulkkinen
Donskoi-Mustonen-Armia
Piitulainen-Salomäki-Junttila
Turtiainen-Tuominen-Pakarinen

Jokipakka-Määttä
Manelius-Pietilä
Kivistö-Virtanen

Aittokallio (starting goalie)
Ortio

Looks like there will be Rajala-Granlund-Pulkkinen on WJC. Where is Sami Vatanen?

---

Also our second U20 team which is going to be in Denmark this weekend played day before agaist HeKi. Their lineups:

Karjalainen-Kluuskeri-Tallberg
Rautiainen-Ruuttu-Kumpulainen
Koski-Salmivirta-Karjalainen
Halinen-Paajanen- Iso-Mustajärvi

Aaltonen-Riikola
Pulli-Kärmeniemi
Hakanpää-Teppo

Ortio (starting)
Iilahti

Kluuskeri over Salmivirta... The coaching dudes are only watching SM-liiga and SM-liiga stats.

Last edited by The Saw Is the Law: 11-10-2010 at 03:04 PM.
The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:44 AM
Korkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
Kluuskeri over Salmivirta... The coaching dudes are only watching SM-liiga and SM-liiga stats.
And after that they are only watching Helsinki area teams...

Old
11-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Deliverance

Granlund probably wont be able to participate to U20WJC.... Ouch, major setback...

http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...52449_jk.shtml

Deliverance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
Granlund probably wont be able to participate to U20WJC.... Ouch, major setback...

http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...52449_jk.shtml
One tournament is just one tournament, no big deal, from a spectator's point of view there will always be a new one next year. What's worrying is how serious this concussion seems to be, next one could in all seriousness be too much, sad for an 18-year old athlete.

On a positive note; Joonas Nättinen is back on ice and should return to games next week.

Old
11-24-2010, 04:13 AM
Korkki

I am sure that Haula can do the 1st line centering job, but now there is a big hole in the second line. There are no capable players for it. And I still think Haula should play with Armia so the center for Pulkkinen and Rajala is needed very badly.

Old
11-24-2010, 05:35 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
I am sure that Haula can do the 1st line centering job, but now there is a big hole in the second line. There are no capable players for it. And I still think Haula should play with Armia so the center for Pulkkinen and Rajala is needed very badly.
Yep. Sad that Haula is playing winger in NCAA. Hopefully he remembers how to play C.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:35 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Yep. Sad that Haula is playing winger in NCAA. Hopefully he remembers how to play C.
Haula played a long streak as a C at the beginning of the season, so it shouldn't be THAT alien to him.

But losing your stone-set first-line center hurts a lot, there's no way around that.

Luckily, Nättinen is close to return, reports say he should be playing within a couple of weeks. It's cutting close but should be enough. Of course, Granlund he is not.

But who could replace MG? Oula Palve apparently stunted for him in Czech Republic, though according to the reports he wasn't exactly stellar, or at least didn't play at the level required to carry the team. Joel Mustonen did an okay job, I hear. And hey, what about Granlund? You know, that other one...

Luckily, we're still stacked on wingers so everything's not laden with the seeds of a catastrophe. If we think our current designated first-liners, Rajala is something of an all-around player and what I hear, apart from being a straightforward scorer, Pulkkinen has taken giant leaps in his passing and general playmaking skills over the fall. So perhaps placing a more defensively-minded C like Nättinen for example in between could be just the match the set needs. He's one of our most prominent guys with faceoffs as well, so he might just be up to the task.

Old
11-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
I am sure that Haula can do the 1st line centering job, but now there is a big hole in the second line. There are no capable players for it.
There's no high scoring centre forward available for the second or third line, that's clear. On the other hand, what this team needs the most, isn't another smallish highly skilled forward, but a player with some size, strength, grit and defensive awareness. Nättinen and Tuominen won’t score too many points, but hopefully they do a decent job defensively.

Just think of the following lines from the last 4 nations tournament:
Rajala - X - Pulkkinen
Donskoi - Y - Armia
Piitulainen - Z - Junttila

It's clear that these wingers are skilled, but they aren't the most well rounded players out there. Many of them lack size, strength, defensive knowhow, courage and cojones. It's hard to form line combos from these players which would be fully functional in all aspects of the game, especially in a North American rink against opponents like USA and Canada. Personally I would like to see lines that would be a bit better balanced. It would hurt the offensive production a bit, but in a decisive match the chances of success would probably be higher.

If Rajala is out because of a shoulder injury, my lottery machine gives the following lines for 5-on-5 hockey:

Turtiainen - Haula - Armia
Virkkunen - Nättinen - Pulkkinen
Junttila - Palve - Pakarinen
Salomäki - Tuominen - Donskoi

Quote:
Yep. Sad that Haula is playing winger in NCAA.
Nope, Haula has been a centre forward in Minnesota.

Old
11-24-2010, 08:08 AM
ChadS

At least in the latest games, Haula has been the 1st line centerman between Jay Barriball and Mike Hoeffel.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:52 AM
ThinMcWhistle

Don't see why Rajala couldn't play, according to this article his return was 2-3 weeks time (article dates Nov.15).

http://www.jatkoaika.com/smliiga.php...tiset&id=11481

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Bach View Post
Don't see why Rajala couldn't play, according to this article his return was 2-3 weeks time (article dates Nov.15).

http://www.jatkoaika.com/smliiga.php...tiset&id=11481
Yep, but that was just a preliminary/first estimate. Let's wait and see what happens.

Old
11-24-2010, 02:01 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Let's wait and see what happens.
Same apparently applies to Granlund, at least if we are to believe the kid himself.