HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Boogeyman?

Old
06-07-2010, 02:58 AM
Kagee*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
In today's NHL, the deterrent is more in having guys up and down the lineup who can skate a regular shift, and who will step up when something happens and hold players who are paid to do more than just fight accountable.
Those are the types of players I believe Gillis will target for the 4th line, along with the 3rd line except with even more skill.

A couple of good examples of solid bottom lines that will help support the top lines, with grit, feistyness, toughness, agitating, scoring players.

Ladd-Bolland-Versteeg
Brouwer-Madden-Eager

Leino-Giroux-Asham
Powe-Betts-Laperriere

Philly's 3rd line seems like a good example of what our's might look like next season if Hodgson makes the 3rd line C spot.
Could be Sammy on RW and MG has to acquire a somewhat tough/bigger LW to play with, if he wants to spend more, Armstrong, or less, Modin.
Obviously I prefer Armstrong but if the defense gets more money, then we'll have to settle for Modin.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:12 AM
cc

the only good reason to get Boogey is for the hitting. When he connects, he's a decent hitter who can hit to hurt. I wouldn't mind him for a cheap contract. Wouldn't want to overpay for him.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:19 AM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc View Post
the only good reason to get Boogey is for the hitting. When he connects, he's a decent hitter who can hit to hurt. I wouldn't mind him for a cheap contract. Wouldn't want to overpay for him.
Also the nickname.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:09 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
There's this, but unfortunately you have to put him on the ice for him to be able to hit someone, and that's where the problems start.

Or they could just sign an actually useful player who is a solid hitter. Sure, he's not likely to be the huge behemoth of Boogaard, but he's also likely to make a hell of a lot more hits over the course of the season if he's actually playing a regular shift.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:49 AM
cc

Quote:
There's this, but unfortunately you have to put him on the ice for him to be able to hit someone, and that's where the problems start.

Or they could just sign an actually useful player who is a solid hitter. Sure, he's not likely to be the huge behemoth of Boogaard, but he's also likely to make a hell of a lot more hits over the course of the season if he's actually playing a regular shift.
I don't know if there are too many solid hitters that would be able to hit Dustin Byfuglien effectively but I think Boogey can.

Unfortunately, you are right. he sucks as a player

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
I don't know if there are too many solid hitters that would be able to hit Dustin Byfuglien effectively but I think Boogey can.

Unfortunately, you are right. he sucks as a player
I think that when a team starts looking into signing guys, especially guys who suck, for the sole reason of hitting Dustin Byfuglien, one guy who isn't even close to being the best player on his team, they're in a whole hell of a lot of trouble right from the get-go.

Old
06-07-2010, 02:48 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I'd sign him if he was waiver exempt to be a 15th forward. He would spend half the season on an airplane between Vancouver and Winnipeg though. Maybe Gillis could just buy him an apartment in Calgary so he could walk to the saddledome each time the Canucks are in Cowtown.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Zarpan

I'd rather sign someone like Asham - a gritty player who can actually play and get 10 goals a season and contribute in the playoffs.

Zarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

If we're really just going to waste a spot on a talentless goon, we should sign Mirasty or Yablonski... at least they'd be cheaper.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:25 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
I'd rather sign someone like Asham - a gritty player who can actually play and get 10 goals a season and contribute in the playoffs.
Asham's has earned himself a nice contract this July. He's been a beast all playoffs long. I think he may price himself out of our range.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:41 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
-11 actually and I bet you wouldn't say that to boogaard on the ice, hockey is a game of intimidation, and the age of the goon isn't over yet, regardless of what Georges Laraque thinks.
What on earth are you talking about? Now only people who can beat up Derek Boogard while wearing skates are fit to make the (true) statement that he is a complete liability on the rare occasions he actually gets a shift?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 04:13 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastvanmungo View Post
If we're really just going to waste a spot on a talentless goon, we should sign Mirasty or Yablonski... at least they'd be cheaper.
They'll also be hungrier to prove their worth to a team, so we'd likely see more unpredictable enforcing out of them than we would out of an established heavyweight who can retain a job in the league on reputation alone. For a goon to be effective, he has to have the other team actually worried that he'll jump them if they step out of line. A guy like Boogaard doesn't do that. He is in the Laraque territory of only fighting other fighters in their little sideshow for the fans.

Old
06-08-2010, 04:18 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
What on earth are you talking about? Now only people who can beat up Derek Boogard while wearing skates are fit to make the (true) statement that he is a complete liability on the rare occasions he actually gets a shift?
I bet you wouldn't say that to ninteynine's face. He is a Hells Angel and a black belt in ninjitsu, the internet is a game of intimidation.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 05:11 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Oh it's true - let's just cut to the chase and let Mike Tyson skate on the first line.

Then when the coach can't cut his ice time without first kicking his ass he can take on that job too

All hail the new face of your Vancouver Canucks:

May he lead us to victory pound his naysayers into submission.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:19 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
I bet you wouldn't say that to ninteynine's face. He is a Hells Angel and a black belt in ninjitsu, the internet is a game of intimidation.
oh yeah run

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:24 PM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Can he play defense?

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Absolutely not.

Which 4th line goons have helped Chicago and Philly fight their way to the cup. Fighting is almost non existent in the playoffs.

The age of the goon who cannot play hockey is coming to an end. Boogaard cannot play hockey.

We do not need a goon.
Great post. There is no place for Boogaard in the NHL. He'll probably end up in a southern market that needs to sell some tickets or the Calgary Flames who seem to bring in a useless goon every summer.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:33 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Very good. Gillis says no to goons. Everybody agrees. What about size? Dick jokes aside, size matters. The best team of tinies might be Vancouver. Adding size is not always adding goonery. Samuelsson is no goon (he tapes his gloves on!) but is able to operate in front of the net and go into corners. Whatever.

A big guy is needed to address some issues the Canucks have. Like the powerplay. A giant arse in the opposing crease can affect thier goaltending. Believe it or not. On the kill, a giant can clear the crease to opposite effect. The giant need not have any hands at all, (like Hansen) to be effective.

I bash Hansen out of love. He has no finish at all. I am surprised other teams do not flip him the puck so he can deliver it safely to thier goalie. He is speedy, though. He can forecheck. He is young and energetic. All good, then, no? He functions well if you don't place unrealistic expectations on him. I would be comfortable with Hansen and Rypien stealing pucks and keeping possesion all night long if they are waiting for thier linemate to arrive and blot out the sun in front of the net. Is Hordichuk that guy? Is Bolduc? If so, very good. Proceed.

Last edited by JuniorNelson: 06-08-2010 at 08:41 PM.
JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:38 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Very good. Gillis says no to goons. Everybody agrees. What about size? Dick jokes aside, size matters. The best team of tinies might be Vancouver. Adding size is not always adding goonery. Samuelsson is no goon (he tapes his gloves on!) but is able to operate in front of the net and go into corners. Whatever.

A big guy is needed to address some issues the Canucks have. Like the powerplay. A giant arse in the opposing crease can affect thier goaltending. Believe it or not. On the kill, a giant can clear the crease to opposite effect.
Size is useless if it's just sitting on the bench all game.

If Boogaard were a competent 4th line hockey player, I'd have no problem with adding him. He's not, though, and just because I don't want Boogaard, it doesn't mean that I don't want anyone in the lineup over 6' tall.

Old
06-08-2010, 08:44 PM
JuniorNelson

Quote:
Size is useless if it's just sitting on the bench all game.

If Boogaard were a competent 4th line hockey player, I'd have no problem with adding him. He's not, though, and just because I don't want Boogaard, it doesn't mean that I don't want anyone in the lineup over 6' tall.
I exagerate for effect.

Boogaard is just an example. I think the Canucks need another element for the fourth line and just in general.

Who is going to protect Hodgson, by the way. Having a Sasquatch on the bench might help. Don't pretend he won't get run. The Sedins get run ALL the time. Can Hodgson withstand that? Just sayin'.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:59 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
I exagerate for effect.

Boogaard is just an example. I think the Canucks need another element for the fourth line and just in general.

Who is going to protect Hodgson, by the way. Having a Sasquatch on the bench might help. Don't pretend he won't get run. The Sedins get run ALL the time. Can Hodgson withstand that? Just sayin'.
A guy like Rypien or Carcillo will do more actual protecting than a Boogaard, though. Boogaard hasn't stopped Kesler and Burrows from driving the Wild nuts and taking all kinds of liberties with their players. Brent Burns missed half the season with a concussion, and PM Bouchard didn't play at all due to the same thing. The current generation of NHL players has grown up in a world where enforcers pretty much only fight other enforcers. They're not scared of Boogaard. Boogaard isn't going to come calling for them, and they know it. He's like a Laraque. He's a sideshow and he hasn't really done much "enforcing" lately. He has his sideshow fights with the other team's sideshow fighter, and it's not really connected to the game on the ice.

A middleweight, especially one with a tendency to do stupid things like Carcillo, is much more likely to actually hold someone accountable. That's why I agree that if they're going to get a heavyweight goon, a hungry one from the AHL is a better bet than an established guy. A guy fighting, literally, to stay off the minor league bus is a lot more likely to come out and blow up the other team's goalie or jump their 1st line centre if you go after one of his teammates, which is what the old-school enforcers would do, and which is what made them actually intimidating to a guy like Matt Cooke or Pat Kaleta.

If the Canucks could get early 90s Gino Odjick to come fight all the heavyweights, and also run goalies and jump non-fighters in retaliation for infractions and just generally have that high level of being just plain crazy, I'd be all for it. Otherwise you're paying money and a roster spot for a guy to not really do much.

Aside from that, just get a guy who is big, hits, and can actually play hockey. He doesn't have to be able to beat up every heavyweight in the league as long as he's willing to go after the other team's agitator, or run over their star player, if they do something stupid.

Old
06-08-2010, 09:14 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:

A big guy is needed to address some issues the Canucks have. Like the powerplay. A giant arse in the opposing crease can affect thier goaltending. Believe it or not. On the kill, a giant can clear the crease to opposite effect. The giant need not have any hands at all, (like Hansen) to be effective.

I bash Hansen out of love. He has no finish at all. I am surprised other teams do not flip him the puck so he can deliver it safely to thier goalie. He is speedy, though. He can forecheck. He is young and energetic. All good, then, no? He functions well if you don't place unrealistic expectations on him. I would be comfortable with Hansen and Rypien stealing pucks and keeping possesion all night long if they are waiting for thier linemate to arrive and blot out the sun in front of the net. Is Hordichuk that guy? Is Bolduc? If so, very good. Proceed.
no that's montreal

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 09:16 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Can he play defense?
Not unless you count hitting players three seconds after the puck has left the zone or fighting in defense of his teammates. And this is someone who was coached by Lemaire for all those years.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:13 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i don't think he'll be back in Minnesota next season, but i have no doubt he'll end up playing in the NHL. I will gladly second the consensus here and say you should absolutely not pick him up. I more or less agree with the rationale used but for a Wild fan I'd rather not take the chance that in the 15 or so minutes he plays against us all season he'll end up costing our roster 20 games lost to injury. I'd say the fear of that happening for me outweighs the one or two goals we'd score when he's on the ice (which you'd probably score anyway because...well look at our fourth line and our defense).

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:03 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
I exagerate for effect.

If you want toughness to protect Hodgson, hire someone that has enough skill they can play on his wing, you know someone who will be on the ice to extract revenge immediately.

"you hurt Hodgson I hurt you"
>>>
"you hurt Hodgson, well I will hurt you in about 20 minutes when/if the coach puts me on and if you happen to be on then and something else hasn't happened to distract from that incident and i can skate fast enough to catch you and you are dumb enough to fight me"

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote