Would you make this trade with the Rangers

TO ATLANTA: Poti, First Rounder (25th overall), and a fourth rounder
TO NYR: 10th Overall

Old
05-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
I'll would probably won't make this trade because I think we can get a better return for the 10th pick either through the player drafted ie Thelen, Wolski or best player available or through a trade with another team. Yes we are receiving a late first round pick to go with a 4th round pick as well as Poti but I think a good prospect will still be available at pick 10 but after pick 15 I'm not so sure as potentially the player we draft at number 25 could still be around we our 2nd round pick comes along.

Poti is 27 and I don't think he will ever reach his potential at becoming an elite offensive d-man. This season he played 67 games and scored 24 points (10 goals 14 assists) which are hardly awe inspiring numbers for a player who makes $2.8million a season. Maybe a another deal could be worked out such as Poti for our 2nd round pick but I still would be very reluctant to do that due to his big salary. I personally think that their are better options available and better alternatives at spending almost $3mil a season on generally a disappointing player (in term of his potential).

Old
05-17-2004, 05:52 AM
dunwoody_joe

I'm a bit on the fence too which usually means it's a fair trade. I personally do not like it.

Poti-like players can be had through UFA fairly easily, this year. He's been somewhat disappointing and a bit overpair.

Let's take Poti out and substitute Fedor Tjutin and you have a deal!

Old
05-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Unknownbutfamous

Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
We would pay all his salary. I think Poti could flurish in Atlanta with a good defensive defensemen. The reason why his numbers went down is because he was paired with Brian Leetch 3/4 of the year, and couldn't joint the rush because Brian was always jumping in the rush.

Old
05-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous
We would pay all his salary. I think Poti could flurish in Atlanta with a good defensive defensemen. The reason why his numbers went down is because he was paired with Brian Leetch 3/4 of the year, and couldn't joint the rush because Brian was always jumping in the rush.
This changes everything. The main reason I said no because of his big salary but if the rangers pick up all costs then I probably could go for this deal. How long is he contracted too?

Old
05-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Unknownbutfamous

End of next coming up year. We probably could throw in another 3 mill in case Poti wants a raise, so It wouldn't be a big deal to Atlanta if he wanted a raise.

Last edited by Unknownbutfamous: 05-18-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old
05-20-2004, 09:00 PM
heat_15

Well, I live here in Atlanta and I am a Thrashers fan, but I grew up in NY with the Rangers. I say the Poti deal wouldn't be so bad. We have a lot of young talent in our system and Poti is the kind of "vet" d-man we need. He has plenty of years left in him too. Plus, Atlanta always does well when NYR gives us a player- Savard, Petrovicky.

NYR are a complete mess right now, but they are moving in the right direction with the restructuring (although Sather needs to just fire himself) and concentration on youth. Waddell needs to make a move NOW and acquire some GOOD vets to play with ATL. I like Poti. I always have. For a #10 pick? I say he's worth it if we are to have any sort of a playoff run in the immediate future.

That, of course, includes spanking the Rangers everytime they set foot in Philips.

Old
05-24-2004, 02:22 PM
ziggy

There will be a good prospect available with pick #10. Looks like someone like Wolski could slip through. I hope DW draft Valabik though. 6´7 defenseman with lots of potential.
Please stick with the plan and build through the draft! And don´t repeat last year flop, throwing away a 2nd rounder for a marginal defenseman. Atlanta don´t need a quick fix, they need their young guns to develop and stay healthy. Next time the puck drops Lehtonen will be in goal and Coburn might be among the guys in front of him, along with Heatley, Kovalchuk, Stefan, Exelby, Savard, Sutton. The future looks very bright for this organisation.

Old
05-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Unknownbutfamous

But Atlanta also needs guidance for the youngins.

Closed Thread