HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

WWDC 2010 - 10am PST/ 1pm EST

Old
06-07-2010, 06:08 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
I'm graduating high school in a few weeks, and my mom wants to get me a phone or something.

Anyway, I have AT&T. Honest question, are they any other phones worth looking at besides this one?

Looks like Apple has brought the iPhone up to date here, and the new design is really nice; much better than that plastic canoe looking thing of the past.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
I'm graduating high school in a few weeks, and my mom wants to get me a phone or something.

Anyway, I have AT&T. Honest question, are they any other phones worth looking at besides this one?

Looks like Apple has brought the iPhone up to date here, and the new design is really nice; much better than that plastic canoe looking thing of the past.
I don't think anyone could go wrong with the iPhone 4, it's so much better than the 3GS.

As for any other phones, obvious option is HTC Evo 4G, although not sure it runs on AT&T.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 06:12 PM
FruityPants3*

You are an Apple hater, it will just give you something to ***** about, so I'd say look elsewhere.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 06:17 PM
dhasek3910

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
I still don't understand why Apple hasn't introduced a BBM-type service. I feel like thats 90% of the appeal of Blackberries for most people. I thought today they'd announce iChat for the iPhone that would have video conferencing and also a BBM-esque messaging service. Seems like a great idea to me...
There's actually a great app called "WhatsApp" that is like a BBM service that works for all smartphones-to-smartphones

http://www.whatsapp.com/

http://itunes.apple.com/app/whatsapp...310633997?mt=8

dhasek3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 06:17 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I don't think anyone could go wrong with the iPhone 4, it's so much better than the 3GS.

As for any other phones, obvious option is HTC Evo 4G, although not sure it runs on AT&T.
Pretty sure that's just on Sprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
You are an Apple hater, it will just give you something to ***** about, so I'd say look elsewhere.
No, I'm not.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 06:27 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasek3910 View Post
There's actually a great app called "WhatsApp" that is like a BBM service that works for all smartphones-to-smartphones

http://www.whatsapp.com/

http://itunes.apple.com/app/whatsapp...310633997?mt=8
Too much of a mission to get all your friends to start using it.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 06:33 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Too much of a mission to get all your friends to start using it.
Getting all your friends to use a BB seems like a bigger mission...

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 08:43 PM
guinness
those were the days

Because of all the leaks, the new iPhone is what I expected it to be.

'Retina display' sounds really goofy though. Love the hyperbole, especially 'Multitasking: Done the right way'. It's like doing an alt-tab.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Because of all the leaks, the new iPhone is what I expected it to be.

'Retina display' sounds really goofy though. Love the hyperbole, especially 'Multitasking: Done the right way'. It's like doing an alt-tab.
Glad you finally showed up. What do you think of iPhone 4 (besides the marketing...the actual device) overall?

Oh and iOS 4 is going to be free for us Touch users, that should make you happy, since you complained (and rightfully so, I didn't pay for 3.0 either) about that.

Old
06-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
if i want a new iphone will i have to like camp out at an at&t store?

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Glad you finally showed up. What do you think of iPhone 4 (besides the marketing...the actual device) overall?

Oh and iOS 4 is going to be free for us Touch users, that should make you happy, since you complained (and rightfully so, I didn't pay for 3.0 either) about that.
It's all evolutionary.

The most surprising thing, to me, was the 960x640 res screen. I remember the first time I played with my mom's iPod Touch several years ago, and was pretty blown away by the screen. But technology improves, and it's not hard to see that getting better over time (nearly as good as the iPad's screen is sick though, resolution-wise).

Everything else seems like nothing amazing. Video @ 720p/30 fps is as only as good as the sensor, same goes with the stills. I'd rather buy a decent P&S camera if I was the least bit curious about video.

Front-facing camera is something I'll never use, and if AT&T is anything like Sprint is with the EVO, they'll charge extra to do videoconferencing over the cellular network.

Multitasking I'm not impressed with much either, since I've had a Pre Plus for a couple months now, other than having the GPS running in the background, but it's not a feature I would use either, since I have a GPS already. Plus one to WebOS for actually showing a preview of the app when switching, rather than just icons.

And while I like the icon-driven UI, it's a cluster**** once you get over like 3 pages worth. Grouping them doesn't solve that problem, and what if you forget what app in what category? You have very small icons within a group to represent them. I wish Apple would've gone to tabs to group apps.

Not sure how happy I'll be with OS 4.0 on my 1g Touch, if it even installs - I wasn't impressed with 3.0 on it, it's sluggish, and I can't see it multitasking well. Now when Apple comes out with a new Touch, based on the iPhone 4 HW...maybe (but I think most apps are still crap, and I prefer my Zune for music playback in my car, HW buttons are very important).

Kudos to Apple for finally getting a unified inbox for all e-mail accounts. God, I hate that so much about having 4-5 accounts on my Touch, and having to view all the inboxes separately. One of those features that should have been there from day 1. I love the unified mailbox and FB/Google/Yahoo/Outlook integration of my Pre.

I am impressed with the stated battery life though too.

I still wouldn't get an iPhone though, I'm more into not being on a ****** 3g network, and I like the alternative OS' more, and I can always get another Touch should I choose.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:12 PM
les Habs

Question for iPhone owners, even those who own current iPhones. Does it play audio out of a speaker? For example if you had an mp3 on the phone and you wanted to play it in a room for say five people will play it out loud? If so, how is the audio quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
First impression is that the new design is a real disappointment. That "canoe looking thing" was much cooler from a design perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5on3 View Post
Let's say I get the Iphone 4 on a contract basis, how much it will cost me if I want to upgrade to the 4G model next year?
No idea, but I will say this. After ATT's announcement on Friday about getting rid of unlimited data plans for all new customers which started today, I thought I'd upgrade my phone to my first iPhone about 5 months early. So I go to their website and do this. I get an iPhone 3GS, a refurb, for... I think it was $199. Then I go to select my plan and I forget that I want to keep my same number and such. So I log in and the price of the phone goes from $199 to $449. So I call ATT and they say that I have to wait until something like June 21st for that price because I'm upgrading too early.

So at the end of the day ATT told me that I, a loyal customer for over a decade, have to pay more than 100% more than a new customer for a phone despite the fact that I'm willing to agree a new 2 year contract and pay for the phone.

les Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I wonder what the deal is from Fido and Rogers in terms of upgrading from the 3GS to the 4.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:30 PM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
I wonder what the deal is from Fido and Rogers in terms of upgrading from the 3GS to the 4.
2 years I think.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
2 years I think.
Exactly right. You will need to shell out the unsubsidized amount because HUG are 2 years minimum.

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
Question for iPhone owners, even those who own current iPhones. Does it play audio out of a speaker? For example if you had an mp3 on the phone and you wanted to play it in a room for say five people will play it out loud? If so, how is the audio quality?

First impression is that the new design is a real disappointment. That "canoe looking thing" was much cooler from a design perspective.

No idea, but I will say this. After ATT's announcement on Friday about getting rid of unlimited data plans for all new customers which started today, I thought I'd upgrade my phone to my first iPhone about 5 months early. So I go to their website and do this. I get an iPhone 3GS, a refurb, for... I think it was $199. Then I go to select my plan and I forget that I want to keep my same number and such. So I log in and the price of the phone goes from $199 to $449. So I call ATT and they say that I have to wait until something like June 21st for that price because I'm upgrading too early.

So at the end of the day ATT told me that I, a loyal customer for over a decade, have to pay more than 100% more than a new customer for a phone despite the fact that I'm willing to agree a new 2 year contract and pay for the phone.
Because in your agreement it says you have to wait after X amount of time to get another phone at a reduced cost. It makes sense.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:05 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

http://gizmodo.com/5557598/should-i-...yline=true&s=i

This article explains why I wont be getting this iPhone...

Quote:
Android and Windows Phone 7 are looking great. What we saw today is what Apple's going to be selling for the next year, probably. But consider just how much Android has advanced in that time? Android 2.2 is pretty wonderful, and I expect a lot of impressive Android hardware to show up in the next few months, not to mention the forthcoming Windows Phone 7. Think about how you feel today, in terms of enthusiasm. Now try to imagine how you'll feel after six months of what we expect to be relentlessly fast upgrades from Google, and an entirely new OS—and accompanying, varied hardware—from Microsoft. Kind of tempers the magic, no?
As awesome as the iPhone 4 is, there is just too much awesome from Android and Windows Phone 7 coming out that locking myself into another 3 years with Rogers would be silly. And the only reason I went with the iPhone in the first place was because Canada didn't have paid apps for the Android market, and the current handsets at the time were very mediocre. That has changed.

Dell for one has some amazing looking phones coming up (hopefully soon)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/22/d...ore-a-roundup/

That and Android is improving rapidly, it wont be long before it takes the lead in software again.

Theres also the fact that I cant get the subsidized pricing on the new iPhone yet.

I just don't see a reason to jump on this generation of iPhones unless you really want that front facing camera, and really like that new screen.

06-08-2010, 01:17 AM
awesomo
HARD!

they actually did put seams into the phone!

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:30 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
they actually did put seams into the phone!
But they were put there for a logical reason. I like that the frame is actually the antenna.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:31 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
But they were put there for a logical reason. I like that the frame is actually the antenna.
who knew, that leaked picture was actually real.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:38 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
who knew, that leaked picture was actually real.
Once APple sent Gizmodo the letter asking for them to return the phone? Everyone. John Gruber at http://daringfireball.net/ (who happens to be the most reliable apple insider) also gave tons of credibility to it being the final design.

Its funny, everything apple does is for a reason. Even seams.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
It's all evolutionary.

The most surprising thing, to me, was the 960x640 res screen. I remember the first time I played with my mom's iPod Touch several years ago, and was pretty blown away by the screen. But technology improves, and it's not hard to see that getting better over time (nearly as good as the iPad's screen is sick though, resolution-wise).

Everything else seems like nothing amazing. Video @ 720p/30 fps is as only as good as the sensor, same goes with the stills. I'd rather buy a decent P&S camera if I was the least bit curious about video.

Front-facing camera is something I'll never use, and if AT&T is anything like Sprint is with the EVO, they'll charge extra to do videoconferencing over the cellular network.

Multitasking I'm not impressed with much either, since I've had a Pre Plus for a couple months now, other than having the GPS running in the background, but it's not a feature I would use either, since I have a GPS already. Plus one to WebOS for actually showing a preview of the app when switching, rather than just icons.

And while I like the icon-driven UI, it's a cluster**** once you get over like 3 pages worth. Grouping them doesn't solve that problem, and what if you forget what app in what category? You have very small icons within a group to represent them. I wish Apple would've gone to tabs to group apps.

Not sure how happy I'll be with OS 4.0 on my 1g Touch, if it even installs - I wasn't impressed with 3.0 on it, it's sluggish, and I can't see it multitasking well. Now when Apple comes out with a new Touch, based on the iPhone 4 HW...maybe (but I think most apps are still crap, and I prefer my Zune for music playback in my car, HW buttons are very important).

Kudos to Apple for finally getting a unified inbox for all e-mail accounts. God, I hate that so much about having 4-5 accounts on my Touch, and having to view all the inboxes separately. One of those features that should have been there from day 1. I love the unified mailbox and FB/Google/Yahoo/Outlook integration of my Pre.

I am impressed with the stated battery life though too.

I still wouldn't get an iPhone though, I'm more into not being on a ****** 3g network, and I like the alternative OS' more, and I can always get another Touch should I choose.
Fair enough, I respect your opinion.

*screen = yeah it's pretty ****ed up. Surpassed 300 dpi and more ppi than our eye can see (what's the point then, marketing?). The entire design of the iPhone is awesome, the plastic curved look was getting dated. This looks like it'll actually feel like something solid in your hands and not like a bit of a toy as the 3GS (not saying it's a toy, but the feel it gave me always came off as such). Of course, it wasn't going to touch the iPad's screen, then you're surpassing the realms of what's possible...however I'm sure if you line this screen up against an iPad, you won't be disappointed. At least that's what I can gather from the various tech sites that are going ape-**** over the screen. I wonder what's next, in the next several years, not just from Apple, but from the industry. We're pushing screens further and further, but how much further can you go, resolution wise?

*video = you're probably right, although I'll reserve judgment until I get to test one out. You may be surprised. Granted, I don't use my cameraphone all that often (it doesn't shoot 720p video, but still), so I probably wouldn't use it very much. The LED flash was a nice touch.

*multitasking = Honestly, I'm just happy there is multitasking now. I agree that webOS has a sexier and more intuitive way of doing it, but it's been so long we haven't had it, it'll be a welcome change. I'm hoping they have something up their sleeves for iPad that's different than a simple tray of icons...still hoping for an Expose-like system (kind of like in Safari for iPad when you're showing all the tabs).

*folders = I actually can't wait to use folders, and I'm not just being a fanboy. I have a cluster**** of apps like you do and it's gotten tiring to have to sift through them. Categories (jailbreak) gave jailbreakers a solution for this, but it's downright laggy, slow, buggy...Folders is a native implementation of Categories. I always thought Categories had a good concept, just that it was poorly executed. I think Apple executed it, but I'll wait and see before going too gaga over it. Again, like multitasking, it's better than not being able to organize your apps at all. From what I understand, iOS automatically tags your Folder when you drop apps in there (say Travel). So unless you like to mix different folders with different travel apps, I don't think you'd have a problem finding where an app is (ie "Games"..."Travel"..."News"..."Utilities"...."Ente rtainment"...."Education"...) It SOUNDS too good to be true, which is why I remain skeptical.

*iOS 4 on touch v1 = I think Apple realized what you just theorized: iOS 4 won't run on 1st generation touches. I'm honestly not surprised, especially since you say 3.0 was a laggy update for you. :/

*threaded mail/unified = Gmail has had threaded convos for ages, hell, even Mail on OS X has it. It's about DAMN time Apple. Also I won't really use unified inboxes much, I only use one account extensively...maybe if MobileMe goes free along with iTunes.com release, I'll have a use for it.

Wonder if touch v4 will offer something substantial. touch v2->v3 was a very lame update (voice control...that's all I can remember, seriously), this one probably won't be.

Old
06-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Waltah*

cant wait to get this damn phone, upgrading from my 3gs

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:33 AM
dv8shun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Exactly right. You will need to shell out the unsubsidized amount because HUG are 2 years minimum.
Sorry to ask, but does that basically mean that you have to be at least two years into your contract to get an upgrade?

On a related note, what does "HUG" mean?

dv8shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8shun View Post
Sorry to ask, but does that basically mean that you have to be at least two years into your contract to get an upgrade?

On a related note, what does "HUG" mean?
Yup, HUG stand for Hardware UpGrade. It's commonly used on this cellphone forums I read HowardForums.com.

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote