HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, about that 2010-2011 lineup part 2

Old
06-06-2010, 11:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
So, about that 2010-2011 lineup part 2

new thread on this topic as soon as the first thread is done. Mods feel free to lock this as until then.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2405
Part One thread -- http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=772712

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-07-2010 at 01:00 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 580
Opened.

MSE forgot to open it I guess.

I blame Chris Pronger.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:44 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
I can't remember, did they say they were raising the cap by 900K next season?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:47 PM
RoDu

A goalie. Gonna need a goalie. It's hard enough to compete when the guys you have keep giving away freebies

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:50 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
A goalie. Gonna need a goalie. It's hard enough to compete when the guys you have keep giving away freebies
Someone like Marty Turco or Dan Ellis would eb good. I hope Homer realizes this.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm curious, in all honesty, considering how Carcillo has been mostly invisible during the playoffs, do you still think he should be re-signed? I honestly think Powe is a much better player over all, even if he doesn't get the points. Mainly because of his speed, his defense and is smarter than Carcillo.

Old
06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
We could always go

Harding/Price/Halak/Etc

Leighton

Leighton does provide a vet like presence for a younger guy.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:53 PM
MsWoof

Bettman said he expects the cap to increase by 2 million. I don't want Turco, too old and too expensive.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Personally, I'd like to see:

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
JVR-Carter-Legein
Powe-Betts-Lappy

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Bartulis-Joonas (I don't want to spell his last name haha)

Turco
Boucher

I bet you we could get Turco for 3 to 3.5 million, easily, without problems. But it's up by 2M next season?

Old
06-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'm curious, in all honesty, considering how Carcillo has been mostly invisible during the playoffs, do you still think he should be re-signed? I honestly think Powe is a much better player over all, even if he doesn't get the points. Mainly because of his speed, his defense and is smarter than Carcillo.
I think Carcillo is quite expendable at this point... but who knows, he made great strides this year in actually playing the game effectively. That being said, he's such a ridiculous diver that I wouldn't be sad to see him go... just don't like watching players like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Bettman said he expects the cap to increase by 2 million. I don't want Turco, too old and too expensive.
Well, Turco is not "too old" for a goalie assuming you sign him to a shortish contract, and you don't know how much he'll cost. It's a BAD summer to be a veteran UFA as a goalie. Lots of options. You have the Price/Halak situation, I'm sure Boston would be thrilled to move Thomas, Vokoun might move...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:00 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The only thing is, throughout the regular season, Carcillo is nice to have to deal with other teams crap. This crap is not really apparent in the playoffs, but Carcillo is good to have the rest of the year.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

3rd line center that can win faceoffs.
dependable 5/6 defenseman
a legit starting goalie. No retreads, 2nd chance guys. Get someone dependable and sign him to a multi year deal. The goalie carousel needs to end.
oh and a new whipping boy not named Jeff Carter

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 06-07-2010 at 01:10 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yeah, I'm not sold on Turco at all. I'd love to have his puck skills but that's it.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I don't know. I'd much rather have Turco than Leighton/Boosh. If we can indeed get him for $3.5M or less I would definitely go that route, provided its no more than a two year deal. This team is in the Finals, they are good enough to win a cup, we can't enter next year with the same goalie problems or we're going to be putting ourselves at a disadvantage from the get go.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:26 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I don't know. I'd much rather have Turco than Leighton/Boosh. If we can indeed get him for $3.5M or less I would definitely go that route, provided its no more than a two year deal. This team is in the Finals, they are good enough to win a cup, we can't enter next year with the same goalie problems or we're going to be putting ourselves at a disadvantage from the get go.
I think what people seem to forget that is that he played in front of poor defense for the past couple of years and also he is VERY agile for his age and can play the puck very well. Even though he is 21-26 in the playoffs, he has a .914 save percentage and a 2.17 GAA, which isn't bad at all. He is definitely a team player and can make some of the craziest saves ever (look at the one he did with his skate).

Old
06-07-2010, 03:45 PM
agrudez*

I saw WAY too much of Krajicek on the ice last night.... I am starting to wonder if the Flyers shouldn't try to go after a marquee type of dman like Hamhuis.

ES:

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Hamhuis-Bartulis

PP:

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Hamhuis (w/ Coburn spotting)

PK:

Pronger-Timonen
Hamhuis-Coburn (w/ Carle spotting)

With this setup we can rotate Hamhuis in for Carle and Coburn in certain ES situations and play our 6th dman a very minimal amount.

I would imagine that the dman minutes would go something like:

Out of 120 possible dman minutes:

Pronger: 25
Timonen:23
Hamhuis:22
Carle:22
Coburn:20
Bartulis:8

Then in the playoffs we could honestly carry 13 forwards and not miss a beat.

To accomplish this, as well as resign Turco, I would like to repropose trading Carter for prospects and picks. We are stocked at center, he doesn't have chemistry with anyone on the team (assuming there is a God and Hartnell is moved, nor can he, due to his shoot high and wide first mentality), and is not a playoff performer.

Hartnell+Carter frees up almost 10M
Hamhuis+Turco would most likely take 8M

Btw, this is a bit off topic, but in the new salary cap world it has just dawned on me that trading players for prospects/picks and then signing FAs to take their place is almost like cap circumvention.

Hypothetical:

Team A trades 60 point forward making 4M a year for a 2nd round draft pick and middling prospect

Team A signs UFA 60 point forward for 4M a year

It is like picking up free picks and prospects...

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
To accomplish this, as well as resign Turco, I would like to repropose trading Carter for prospects and picks. We are stocked at center, he doesn't have chemistry with anyone on the team (assuming there is a God and Hartnell is moved, nor can he, due to his shoot high and wide first mentality), and is not a playoff performer.

Btw, this is a bit off topic, but in the new salary cap world it has just dawned on me that trading players for prospects/picks and then signing FAs to take their place is almost like cap circumvention.

Hypothetical:

Team A trades 60 point forward making 4M a year for a 2nd round draft pick and middling prospect

And I would like to propose kicking you in the nut sack and/or vagina.

Old
06-07-2010, 03:58 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I saw WAY too much of Krajicek on the ice last night.... I am starting to wonder if the Flyers shouldn't try to go after a marquee type of dman like Hamhuis.

ES:

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Hamhuis-Bartulis

PP:

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Hamhuis (w/ Coburn spotting)

PK:

Pronger-Timonen
Hamhuis-Coburn (w/ Carle spotting)

With this setup we can rotate Hamhuis in for Carle and Coburn in certain ES situations and play our 6th dman a very minimal amount.

I would imagine that the dman minutes would go something like:

Out of 120 possible dman minutes:

Pronger: 25
Timonen:23
Hamhuis:22
Carle:22
Coburn:20
Bartulis:8

Then in the playoffs we could honestly carry 13 forwards and not miss a beat.

Hypothetical:

Hamhuis is not coming here whatsoever. He is going to get at least 4.5M on the open market. He will likely be on someone's top pairing, not our bottom pairing. And with your hypothetical scenario, you're not going to be signing 60 point forwards for 4M, and you're unlikely to get a guy that is a carbon copy of the guy you trade.

Would anyone entertain the possibility of bringing in Nabokov? The market for goalies isn't very big, and I can't see San Jose bringing him back. With people questioning his abilities, we might be able to bring him in for only maybe 1M more than Turco, and I think he would be a huge upgrade. He's the same age as Turco, and has put up great numbers in front of a crappy Sharks defense.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Would anyone entertain the possibility of bringing in Nabokov? The market for goalies isn't very big, and I can't see San Jose bringing him back. With people questioning his abilities, we might be able to bring him in for only maybe 1M more than Turco, and I think he would be a huge upgrade. He's the same age as Turco, and has put up great numbers in front of a crappy Sharks defense.
If he truly would only cost $1M more than Turco, assuming Turco will cost in the $3-3.5M range, then I would definitely have to think about it. What would our cap situation look like if we paid $4.5M for a goalie? I feel like we would definitely have to move someone for that to fit. Also if the cap is really going up by $2M we got lucky as **** because that will go a long way when you're as close to the cap as we have been.

Old
06-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
3rd line center that can win faceoffs.
dependable 5/6 defenseman
a legit starting goalie. No retreads, 2nd chance guys. Get someone dependable and sign him to a multi year deal. The goalie carousel needs to end.
oh and a new whipping boy not named Jeff Carter
lol if someone read this post and didnt know when it was written there would be no way of telling if this was written this year or last.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:36 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Hamhuis is not coming here whatsoever. He is going to get at least 4.5M on the open market. He will likely be on someone's top pairing, not our bottom pairing. And with your hypothetical scenario, you're not going to be signing 60 point forwards for 4M, and you're unlikely to get a guy that is a carbon copy of the guy you trade.

As long as Nabokov is short term and reasonable price <4.5. I am sold.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I agree with this. Hamhuis, Volchenkov, Michalek and Paul Martin will be the most sought after defensemen on the open market. They're going to get the huge dollars. The only 60 point scorer/s I've seen that aren't locked up yet in terms of RFA are Eric Fehr and Tomas Flieschmann in Washington. Personally, I think Fehr would be a great fit here, if his injury problems are resolved. He's a big physical guy who scored 25 goals playing on the third line in Washington. He'd be a good fit on a line with JVR and Giroux.

Quote:
As much as I like Nabokov, I very much doubt he comes East. I'm pretty sure the Sharks will re-sign him because he couldn't be blamed for San Jose's playoff failures again. I really don't understand how Joe Thornton continues to get the benefit of the doubt with regards to his playoff performance and no one from inside the organization calls him on it. Instead, they coddle him. I'd really like to see McLellan or Wilson call out him and his 7.5 million dollar cap hit out.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 06:15 PM
DrHamburg

nabokov and turco? really?

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:49 PM
jb**

I dont see the market for turco beign that great. If a team is smart they will give hima 2 year deal. maybe 3. I also dont see him getting anymore than 3.5 tops maybe less. Ther market will not be in his favor imo.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote