HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Going to Philly

Old
06-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Hawkey Town 18

vCash: 500
Going to Philly

I'm seriously thinking about going to Philly for Game 6. Curious to hear what others' experiences were that went to Game 3 or 4 and what are good places to stay?

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:46 PM
enforcersrule

Wear a tactical vest, a cup, and possibly a helmet... and be prepared to be assaulted and then tossed from Wachovia for it.

I have yet to hear a good story from a Blackhawks fan visiting Philly for a game... and apparently the same can be said the the Hawks organization, as security was VERY pro-active last night in trying to make sure Flyers fans were kept safe at the UC. My friend (in a Flyers jersey) was pulled aside by security on multiple occasions - including before the game started - to be asked if she'd had any problems and to be assured that any incidents of poor behavior directed (undeservingly) towards her would not be tolerate.

Security also gave a schpeal before the doors opened to everyone waiting in line that there would be zero tolerance, and that they were working to ensure that Chicago proved how much classier we are in dealing with other teams' fans than Philly...

So umm... good luck and may the force be with you.

enforcersrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Teemu

Watch out for flying batteries

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:28 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Not a good idea, especially considering what's on the line.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Watch out for flying batteries
I always wonder what goes through the mind of a fan that would do this. Guess I'll never know. All I know it's pathetic for Philadelphia to be proud of stuff like this.

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Pachyderm I

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcersrule View Post
Wear a tactical vest, a cup, and possibly a helmet... and be prepared to be assaulted and then tossed from Wachovia for it.

their fans aren't called "battery tossers" for no reason....

unless you're signing the declaration of independence there is never a need to go to philly... fact.

Pachyderm I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:44 PM
setzeroni

oh lord. surprised nobody's mentioned snowballs; i know it's june but they play on ice after all.

look, being an opposing team fan in philly is about par for the course as in other towns, the rap that most philly fans get aside. be smart about it. if you want to wear your jersey, do it with pride, but please don't be surprised that you get booed for it, and for god's sake don't start tussling with people in the parking lot. when your team scores, stand and applaud but just keep the taunts to yourself and sit the heck down afterward. most are there to watch the game, believe it or not.

most of the trouble with opposing fans here is that they seem to "play down" to the perception of the philly fan and get themselves tossed; i see this far more often than the prototypical drunk philly a-hole (the "pukemon" incident at the phillies game notwithstanding).

as someone who has been an opposing fan in another stadium, i would far prefer the philly experience than most of the boston and new york venues. can't speak to the chicago fan base but if you're considering coming to philly and are actually somewhat levelheaded about it, you'll have a good time. some of the best times i've had at sporting events is trading barbs w/ opposing fans.

setzeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:36 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
What he said ^^^^. As long as you aren't doing anything stupid you'll be fine. You'll get booed, called names, etc., but as long as you don't do anything to provoke people no one will do anything that wouldn't happen anywhere else with passionate fans.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:05 PM
mongolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodamsHjammer View Post
I always wonder what goes through the mind of a fan that would do this. Guess I'll never know. All I know it's pathetic for Philadelphia to be proud of stuff like this.
Despite the reputation that Philly fans get a vast majority of are NOT proud of things like this. There are morons everywhere. In fact, and I know this is hard to understand because of the media hyperbole and the exaggeration of other fans, some who have never even been to a sporting event in here, many fans in Philly are no different than anywhere else. Will you be heckled? Hell yes. Something that happens in EVERY sports venue. Yet when it happens in Philly we're automatically going to pull out the knives and shank an opposing fan. Sorry rant off.

Seriously though good luck on Wednesday. It's been a great series, especially since the Hawks are my favorite team behind the Flyers.

mongolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:33 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I find it EXTREMELY hilarious and naive that people actually believe that a concentrated group of people who happen to reside in a specific city are somehow genetically classless and worse than people in any other city. Things don't work like that. There are morons in every fan base for any sports team on the planet. There are idiots everywhere. You honestly believe that because someone is a flyers fan or lives in the city of philadelphia, that they are somehow neanderthals that toss batteries at anything they feel like? There are just as many idiots in Chicago.

you're going to get heckled, and you're going to get harrassed, just like you would in ANY passionate sports city, but unless you're an idiot engaging with another idiot (which is what most incidents are) then you're going to be fine. Most of the brawls and fights happen as a result of multiple idiots from both sides of passionate fanbases doing what they do best. Getting drunk and acting like morons. But since everyone seems to have this uneducated position that philly fans are classless, it gets pinned to the side wearing orange. demographics don't work that way.

I'm also sick of people classifying philadelphia as a "useless city", and making jokes about no one needing to ever visit philly.
listen, i've been all over the country and the world. I've lived in london for school and i've lived in new york city. Philadelphia is one of the most historic and beautiful cities in the country. I grew up here and it's where i want to live for the rest of my life. Sure, it has its bad areas like every city. But like everywhere else, these areas are isolated and you're not going to see any of them unless you wander into the ghetto. Philly has more charm, culture and history that most cities in this country.

so if you come to philly for game 6, expect to be treated like the enemy in the wachovia center, but make sure you take the time to see how great a city philadelphia is.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:49 PM
vegasvic

You might want to waterproof your Hawks sweater....

vegasvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Pachyderm I

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I find it EXTREMELY hilarious and naive that people actually believe that a concentrated group of people who happen to reside in a specific city are somehow genetically classless and worse than people in any other city. Things don't work like that. There are morons in every fan base for any sports team on the planet. There are idiots everywhere. You honestly believe that because someone is a flyers fan or lives in the city of philadelphia, that they are somehow neanderthals that toss batteries at anything they feel like? There are just as many idiots in Chicago.

you're going to get heckled, and you're going to get harrassed, just like you would in ANY passionate sports city, but unless you're an idiot engaging with another idiot (which is what most incidents are) then you're going to be fine. Most of the brawls and fights happen as a result of multiple idiots from both sides of passionate fanbases doing what they do best. Getting drunk and acting like morons. But since everyone seems to have this uneducated position that philly fans are classless, it gets pinned to the side wearing orange. demographics don't work that way.

I'm also sick of people classifying philadelphia as a "useless city", and making jokes about no one needing to ever visit philly.
listen, i've been all over the country and the world. I've lived in london for school and i've lived in new york city. Philadelphia is one of the most historic and beautiful cities in the country. I grew up here and it's where i want to live for the rest of my life. Sure, it has its bad areas like every city. But like everywhere else, these areas are isolated and you're not going to see any of them unless you wander into the ghetto. Philly has more charm, culture and history that most cities in this country.

so if you come to philly for game 6, expect to be treated like the enemy in the wachovia center, but make sure you take the time to see how great a city philadelphia is.
you just want to throw a battery at someone....

Old
06-08-2010, 07:53 AM
CJV123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodamsHjammer View Post
Philly puts the "small" in "small man's syndrome." In the end, it stems from an inferiority complex with regards their big, bright and successful neighbor 2 hours up the turnpike.

CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
PSUJorge

Philly fans will leave you alone if you look 35+ or under 14 or so, but they are absolutely brutal to the middle age group. They will mock you, your sexuality, your team and throw whatever loose objects they can get away with at you. And its total lies that its unprovoked. The "college age" group definitely tries to live up to the reputation and definitely is susceptible to the mob mentality. That age group is brutal to anyone they think is around their age.

PSUJorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:51 AM
cherrypik

I went to a Phillys game a couple years with my family(including my 3 year old) and a all out brawl broke out in the parking lot. I was not involved but my wife was scared to death. As far as I remember this brawl entailed guys getting cracked over the head with a bear bottles, bear bottle thrown at cars and another guy thrown on the windshield of his car. It was out of control for at least 20 minute before the so called police to show up.

Knowing this I would pick up a couple Stanley Cup pucks prior to the game. If you happen to run into any safety issues, just take off your sock, stuff your sock with the pucks and start cracking some heads.

cherrypik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:23 PM
PSUJorge

Thats the problem, Philly would be fine but half the time the cops just smile and let it escalate before doing anything. The cops pretty much stay out of it (because they're flyers fans) until the absolutely have to get involved. I'll give Flyers fans credit though... they aren't quite as bad as Eagles fans. The 18-24 crowd of Philly fans in State College are absolutely terrible.

PSUJorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 05:09 PM
mongolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
Philly puts the "small" in "small man's syndrome." In the end, it stems from an inferiority complex with regards their big, bright and successful neighbor 2 hours up the turnpike.
Actually as much as I love Philly this is actually quite true. Being right in the middle of the nation's biggest city (a great city by the way) and the nation's capitol will give any city a Napoleon Complex.

Old
06-08-2010, 05:15 PM
mongolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUJorge View Post
Thats the problem, Philly would be fine but half the time the cops just smile and let it escalate before doing anything. The cops pretty much stay out of it (because they're flyers fans) until the absolutely have to get involved. I'll give Flyers fans credit though... they aren't quite as bad as Eagles fans. The 18-24 crowd of Philly fans in State College are absolutely terrible.
I've been going to Philly games (baseball, football, hockey...but I can't speak for basketball) all my life and have never seen this happen with the cops. It's actually quite the opposite. I've been to plenty of rivalry games (Phillies/Mets, Eagles/Cowboys, Flyers/Pens) and they are always right on top of trouble makers. Jeez I mean the just tased a kid at a Phillies game (who fully deserved it may I add).

From my experience that's just about any over-testosteroned "frat boy" not just Philly fans. Living in western PA the Pittsburgh fans can be just as bad. State College is an exception as well since it cater's to both Eastern and Western PA...at least that's my experience.

Good luck to the Hawks tomorrow.

Old
06-08-2010, 06:12 PM
SilkyMitts

all of these stories are hilarious.

every city has jerks. like this city , whose fan threw a beer on Shane Victorino, which the crowd applauded and cheered for.

check out this post by one of the Hawks fans who recently visited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollarBillBrasky View Post
Hey -- I just wanted to voice a positive experience that was had by a Hawks fan in Philly this past Friday, since you probably won't hear too much of them from the Chicago (blowhard) media -- Dan McNeil, I'm looking at you...you're hard to miss.

We got to the stadium area early enough to get a bar seat at Chickie & Pete's. Met a lot of good-natured, knowledgeable people and had a lot of great hockey talk over some beers, crab fries and one of the better sandwiches I've had in a while (wouldn't think Philly would make a good chicken parm sandwich, but the C&P's cutlet parm was fan-f*in-tastic). The highlight of that time was standing outside for a smoke, a police cruiser rolled by and one of the Flyers' fans pretended to grab my jersey and rough me up. We both had some laughs and I mock-yelled out for help from the local police force. The cruiser stopped, backed up, and I thought I was probably gonna get in trouble for making a scene. But the Officer rolled his window down and yelled that I was wearing the wrong jersey for even a police officer to help so I had better behave. Pretty funny moment.

We walked from C&P's to the game in our Hawks jerseys, of course getting the "you suck" and "A*hole" chants that I was expecting, but hothing more and I never felt like I was unsafe. Again, most people heckling were younger/drunker, and there were just as many, if not more older and/or soberish fans that were able to have some good, quick hockey talk.

Getting into the game, there were some fans in our seats, and I thought we might have just made a section full of enemies. But the ushers resolved everything quickly and without any problems, and the fans around us were very respectful and easy-going. We had no issues in our section throughout the game (probably because Philly was dominating us for the majority). The only time I was a little on edge was the bathroom, but only because the entire room unified in an "A*hole" chant. Boy was that loud...Even the 8-year old kid peeing next to me was shouting at the top of his lungs, which some people would find a way to B*tch about but not me. I thought it was pretty awesome .

After the game, we were lucky enough to get a cab not too far up Broad Street, so we did not have to mull around too long. Lots of guys were a bit more vocal after the win and away from security (finding every way to mispronounce Toews' name: "Throw in the Towes" and "I bet you like Towes up your a$$"...) but once again, never in a physically threatening way.

Overall, I must admit I was a little worried before I got out there, but the city of Philly was much less threatening than people like McNeil make it out to seem. The day was beautiful so we got to walk around the historic district before the game, which made it a decent trip even though the Hawks looked like crap for the first 45 minutes of the game and couldn't come up with enough at the end. You guys have a great team and a great city, and I know I don't have to tell you that, but I figure I would anyway. Best of luck in the future and I hope to make it back next year for another SCF game!

Last edited by SilkyMitts: 06-09-2010 at 12:03 AM.
SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:54 PM
nORRis8*

If the Flyers lose, make sure everyone watches Pronger's post game interview.
He's even funnier when they lose.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 09:20 PM
LarmerAmonteSeabrook

I don't understand why someone would want to go to Philly instead of being IN Chicago to experience a possible Cup clincher.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Pachyderm I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUJorge View Post
Philly fans will leave you alone if you look 35+ or under 14 or so, but they are absolutely brutal to the middle age group. They will mock you, your sexuality, your team and throw whatever loose objects they can get away with at you. And its total lies that its unprovoked. The "college age" group definitely tries to live up to the reputation and definitely is susceptible to the mob mentality. That age group is brutal to anyone they think is around their age.
psst, psst... i think yer making my point for me. it doesn't matter that they segregate by age.. they are still d1cks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcillosMustache View Post
all of these stories are hilarious.

every city has jerks. like this city , whose fan threw a beer on Shane Victorino, which the crowd applauded and cheered for.

check out this post by one of the Hawks fans who recently visited:
he looked thirsty!

Last edited by Pachyderm I: 06-09-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old
06-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 100
My daughter and I went to a game in Philly a few years ago (we are Bruin's fans).

We sat right behind the B's (visitors bench).

Most fans were nice to us. They joked around but you have to expect that. I have to say it was before the hit on Patrice Bergeron though. Things have gotten ugly since then.

One girl behind us was rude ...I think she was sad because my daughter was WAY better looking than her.

It is the playoffs and when the Hawks win tonnight it could get ugly. Be careful. I hope to see some Hawks shirts tonight when I watch the game. I HATE orange

I have ST in Boston and the only fight I have gotten into (verbal...I won ) with another fan was with a Flyer's fan. He was an idiot...but you can not judge all Flyer's fans on the one.

I DO hate the Flyers.

GO HAWKS !!!

06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nORRis8 View Post
If the Flyers lose, make sure everyone watches Pronger's post game interview.
He's even funnier when they lose.

Pronger was awful in the last game. Hopefully he will be tonight too

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote