HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Is Kovalchuk gonna be able to turn this down?

Old
06-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Rink Rage

vCash: 500
Is Kovalchuk gonna be able to turn this down?

Sport-Express.ru: The SKA St. Petersburg reportedly have increased their offer to Ilya Kovalchuk to 3 years and $42 million. It was reported that they previously offered Kovalchuk 3 years and $30 million.

Rink Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:01 PM
zorz

I don't see many reasons why he would turn it down.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Washington Capitals

I highly doubt he's been offered that much. Just my opinion.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 02:50 PM
RusskiyHockey

Fun to speculate, but obviously this is false.

RusskiyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Rink Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Capitals View Post
I highly doubt he's been offered that much. Just my opinion.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2010/...lchuk-khl.html

Old
06-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Rink Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiyHockey View Post
Fun to speculate, but obviously this is false.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2010/...lchuk-khl.html

Old
06-07-2010, 04:30 PM
VladNYC*

If this is true, then things will surely get interesting. Ilya is a very complicated and emotional guy, it is almost impossible to predict what he will do. I don't know id he wants that kind of pressure on him. He looks like the weight of the world is on his shoulders on every team he plays. He might just want to go to a Stanley Cup contender team where he is just a part of the system. Nothing he does would surprise me at all.

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:05 PM
yunost

I think he should take the 14mil a year... Good for him and SKA.
Im pretty sure the 12000 arena would fill up and there would be tons of Kovalchuk jerseys.

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:49 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissioner View Post
Sport-Express.ru: The SKA St. Petersburg reportedly have increased their offer to Ilya Kovalchuk to 3 years and $42 million. It was reported that they previously offered Kovalchuk 3 years and $30 million.
Yes he will.

He still has too much to prove in the NHL. He hasn't won a Stanley Cup, let alone a single Playoff Series. He will more than likely get a deal in the 6-8 Million range in the NHL.

His style of game, mainly his temper, doesn't transfer with him to the KHL very well. He is almost too passionate at times, and makes dumb mistakes. I see him sticking it out int he NHL, to try and win his Stanley Cup. Now had he won his Stanley Cup already, I would be saying the exact opposite.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:49 AM
RusskiyHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissioner View Post
So? It's still based off that Sport-Express article.

Old
06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
I think he should take the 14mil a year... Good for him and SKA.
Im pretty sure the 12000 arena would fill up and there would be tons of Kovalchuk jerseys.
Or he could sign a 10-12 year contract to play in the best league in the world, on a top team (basically) of his choice, have all the publicity he could ever want, fill up 20,000 seat arena's all over NA, stay in the best hotels, eat the best food, and play in front of tons of Kovy jersey's every game

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 03:26 PM
yunost

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Or he could sign a 10-12 year contract to play in the best league in the world, on a top team (basically) of his choice, have all the publicity he could ever want, fill up 20,000 seat arena's all over NA, stay in the best hotels, eat the best food, and play in front of tons of Kovy jersey's every game
First of all, I don't understand the best league in the world argument anymore. some KHL and NHL teams overlap. For example Salavat Yulayev or Ak-Bars could **** some NHL teams like the useless ones that never make it anywhere.
KHL is still a solid league with plenty of good teams and competition. Im not at all saying they are similar or whatever, but the KHL playoffs are pretty intense and getting the Gagarin cup is also no joke.

As for the other stuff:
He could sell just as many jerseys in Russia, fill up their stadiums (some are getting there), eat the food he grew up on, be in a country he loves and is completely patriotic to(playing high ris tournies with no contract), etc...

most people(NHL) value him 6-8 mil, well in KHL he can get 14!!!!!! Filling up a bigger arena and sleeping in nicer hotels is not worth 6 million less a year!

Im not saying he's gonna take it, because maybe getting the Stanley cup is REALLY important to him (dont start saying it is, because its obviously a personal opinion and we dont know)
but as far as that is concerned, its only 3 years. Hes not going to get worse and will fore sure be able to go back to the NHL and get it later.

Old
06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
First of all, I don't understand the best league in the world argument anymore. some KHL and NHL teams overlap. For example Salavat Yulayev or Ak-Bars could **** some NHL teams like the useless ones that never make it anywhere.
KHL is still a solid league with plenty of good teams and competition. Im not at all saying they are similar or whatever, but the KHL playoffs are pretty intense and getting the Gagarin cup is also no joke.

As for the other stuff:
He could sell just as many jerseys in Russia, fill up their stadiums (some are getting there), eat the food he grew up on, be in a country he loves and is completely patriotic to(playing high ris tournies with no contract), etc...

most people(NHL) value him 6-8 mil, well in KHL he can get 14!!!!!! Filling up a bigger arena and sleeping in nicer hotels is not worth 6 million less a year!

Im not saying he's gonna take it, because maybe getting the Stanley cup is REALLY important to him (dont start saying it is, because its obviously a personal opinion and we dont know)
but as far as that is concerned, its only 3 years. Hes not going to get worse and will fore sure be able to go back to the NHL and get it later.
The NHL is better then the KHL. Maybe the KHL's best team could take the NHL's worst team, but that doesn't help your argument too much.

I don't know about KHL contracts, but if he got hurt in Russia, it could ruin his career. In the NHL, his contract is guaranteed and insured. Say he only plays one KHL season before getting a serious injury, that $14 mill might be it for him. In the NHL, a $8 mill deal for the next 10 years insures he gets paid even if he is physically unable to play. (Not sure about how KHL contracts work though, so don't quote me on this)

His wife is from Atlanta and his family is there now.

Not saying he stays for sure, but this is not as easy a decision as you make it seem.

I see him taking an 8-year NHL deal and going to the KHL when he is older and cashing in on the twilight of his career Jagr-style.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:05 AM
crabcz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Or he can sign a 3 year deal in KHL and THEN sign a 7-9 year contract to play in the best league in the world.

$42M/3years is crazy. $14M/year after taxes. I don't know how they're taxed in the USA or how much it can vary from state to state, but it can be equivalent of $20-$25M/year in the NHL.

crabcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 06:11 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcz View Post
Or he can sign a 3 year deal in KHL and THEN sign a 7-9 year contract to play in the best league in the world.

$42M/3years is crazy. $14M/year after taxes. I don't know how they're taxed in the USA or how much it can vary from state to state, but it can be equivalent of $20-$25M/year in the NHL.
Read the post above yours.

Also, the 14mil is before taxes. He ends up with something like 36m for 3 years after taxes if he signs it.

Old
06-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Zine

Quote:
Read the post above yours.

Also, the 14mil is before taxes. He ends up with something like 36m for 3 years after taxes if he signs it.
No, it's 42 million net pay.

Anyways, it doesn't matter...his agent just said its an exaggerated amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
His wife is from Lithuania.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 08:23 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
No, it's 42 million net pay.

Anyways, it doesn't matter...his agent just said its an exaggerated amount.

His wife is from Lithuania.
She likes the US though.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 08:28 AM
crabcz

vCash: 50
Quote:
She likes the US though.
But she's a money spending machine (woman) as well.

crabcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcz View Post
But she's a money spending machine (woman) as well.
Is there any other kind?

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
The NHL is better then the KHL. Maybe the KHL's best team could take the NHL's worst team, but that doesn't help your argument too much.

I don't know about KHL contracts, but if he got hurt in Russia, it could ruin his career. In the NHL, his contract is guaranteed and insured. Say he only plays one KHL season before getting a serious injury, that $14 mill might be it for him. In the NHL, a $8 mill deal for the next 10 years insures he gets paid even if he is physically unable to play. (Not sure about how KHL contracts work though, so don't quote me on this)

Not saying he stays for sure, but this is not as easy a decision as you make it seem.

I see him taking an 8-year NHL deal and going to the KHL when he is older and cashing in on the twilight of his career Jagr-style.
Except that an 8 mill deal in the NHL is actually a 4 mill deal after taxes, escrow and all the other stuff that comes into play. A 14 million year deal in the KHL is a 13 million deal under the same circumstances. Plus he could make a ******** more on endorsements there considering he'd be the ultimate Russian superstar.

A 10 year 80 million deal still leaves him with less money than a 3 year 42 million deal.

And the notion that his contract isn't guaranteed is laughable, considering his team's owner could probably buy the NHL and then some.

And Salavat could probably make the playoffs in the NHL.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 09:21 PM
RusskiyHockey

Kovalchuk's own agent in Russia claims the $40 million rumour is not true. The 3-year term is a real offer, but not the sum. And it's probably not just one KHL club interested.

Old
06-10-2010, 09:26 PM
yunost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforunato View Post
Except that an 8 mill deal in the NHL is actually a 4 mill deal after taxes, escrow and all the other stuff that comes into play. A 14 million year deal in the KHL is a 13 million deal under the same circumstances. Plus he could make a ******** more on endorsements there considering he'd be the ultimate Russian superstar.

A 10 year 80 million deal still leaves him with less money than a 3 year 42 million deal.

And the notion that his contract isn't guaranteed is laughable, considering his team's owner could probably buy the NHL and then some.

Never thought of it that way
The North Americans overhype the prices that they sign with the contract, when the players actually get SOOOO much less!!!!

And another thing. Kovi played with Atlanta for years, and their attendance is something like 13,000 average. So I dont think that filling up NA stadiums is what he's going for...
SKA has a 12,000 that will probably be filled every night so big diff.

Again the endorsements and bonuses he would get would also be huge.
I say its a no-brainer, but we'll see what he thinks.

and yeah, I would agree that Salavat could make NHL playoffs

Old
06-11-2010, 06:55 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforunato View Post

What leads me to believe that it isn't all about the money is the fact that he turned down a 10 year $100mil contract. He was just sick of playing in front of 14,000 fans every night and sick of playing for a bad team. If he went to the KHL he would be playing at a lower level of hockey and in front of less fans. I don't see why this would benefit him other than the fact that he is Russian. Also, if he goes to Russia he will probably lose any chance he has at being inducted into the Hall of fame..

Old
06-11-2010, 08:52 AM
zorz

Quote:
What leads me to believe that it isn't all about the money is the fact that he turned down a 10 year $100mil contract. He was just sick of playing in front of 14,000 fans every night and sick of playing for a bad team. If he went to the KHL he would be playing at a lower level of hockey and in front of less fans. I don't see why this would benefit him other than the fact that he is Russian. Also, if he goes to Russia he will probably lose any chance he has at being inducted into the Hall of fame..
lol, what do you think is more important for a russian player, to be member of hall of fame in Toronto or to be member of russian hall of fame in Moscow? I don't think he's even considering this implication.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:27 AM
NMF78

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
lol, what do you think is more important for a russian player, to be member of hall of fame in Toronto or to be member of russian hall of fame in Moscow? I don't think he's even considering this implication.
I think so too. Considering players like Makarov and a whole other bunch of Russian hockey legends aren't in the NA hall of fame i doubt Russians really care about that.

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote