HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Is Kovalchuk gonna be able to turn this down?

Old
06-25-2010, 12:34 PM
NMF78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
He's only 27. I wouldn't blame him if he bolted for that much for three years, was set financially and then came back at 30 to the NHL.

Odds are that would bankrupt the team before the 3 year term is over, I'd bet.
isn't ska financed by Gazprom? So financing won't be a problem.

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:55 PM
RobertKron

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-258875

So the league itself is offering him a deal? Seems a bit wacky.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:02 PM
cLassic

Still think he's going to end up in Jersey, not matter what the KHL has to offer him.

cLassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-258875

So the league itself is offering him a deal? Seems a bit wacky.
It may prove difficult to compete with a league run by a rich commissioner/owner who makes up the rules as he goes. If it were me in that situation, I would make sure I had a great agent/lawyer review every single detail (twice) before signing a contract with a guy like that.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 09:40 AM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
Someone is a little stuck up

You clearly have problems with accepting reality, since you have been well influenced by the North American dogma. It is obvious that the KHL is stacked with players that could easily play on top NHL lines, lets not name names.
Maybe you are just overly defensive with this 'by far' nonsense, because maybe you are insecure about the actual reality. Players in Russia are very well conditioned with the large surfaces, but to the point let me name a few sentences where that NHL was mentioned.

Your Rangers team was losing to Metallurg, until winning 4-3, I dont think that is by far. There will also be 2 more NHL KHL games coming up so stay tuned for those.

And when you see things like Hossa leading in goals, that cant have a direct comparison. Its a different style game, so some are stronger in other styles. Btw before his injury, hossa had like 8 goals in 11 NHL games when he was given lots of time and a good line. Which the stuck up NHL coaches scaresly give out. Losers like Hitchcock scare their 'depth' away.

And while on the subject of this depht, KHL has plenty. And aside from this temporary amount of players NHL actually has no depth. KHL has a sub league that it runs(MHL). Each club owns its own junior team where kids were the team crests from the start of their introduction to the sport. Thats what I call depth. NHL relies on the draft, and lets be clear, nothing is stopping Ak-Bars from offering Taylor Hall a 12mil 2 year contract, and him going there. There goes Oilers depth. Obviously it will be a while before such things could happen but im just saying.

Get over yourself... the KHL is a great league and many teams could easily compete with NHL teams.
Wait in what season did Marcel Hossa have 8 goals in 11 games in the NHL? Because according to this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...FM.HcBnVZivLYF

That never happened unless it was 2005-2006 or 2006-2007...and if it was then...wow his totals for the year blow if 8 goals were from the first 11 games. I am in no way trying to denounce the KHL as its a quickly emerging league thats at this point safely the 2nd best league in the world. However, your homer glasses are just as tight as some of the people you retort. Please make a list of players who you feel would make the top line of a playoff NHL team who right plays top line in the KHL, or even make a list of players who play 2nd line KHL minutes who could step into 2nd line NHL minutes on a playoff team.

Or lets go even broader. Do you really think your best team could beat the NHL's best team? or could your worse team beat our worse. Because your one example was a top end KHL team Vs. The NY Rangers who were 7th in their conference and like 16th in the league. Its not really a fair comparison

dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 01:27 PM
yunost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
It may prove difficult to compete with a league run by a rich commissioner/owner who makes up the rules as he goes. If it were me in that situation, I would make sure I had a great agent/lawyer review every single detail (twice) before signing a contract with a guy like that.
I agree, because thats how things happen there. But in this case, Medvedev would never **** with Kovalchuk

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 01:34 PM
yunost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhislife View Post
Wait in what season did Marcel Hossa have 8 goals in 11 games in the NHL? Because according to this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...FM.HcBnVZivLYF

That never happened unless it was 2005-2006 or 2006-2007...and if it was then...wow his totals for the year blow if 8 goals were from the first 11 games. I am in no way trying to denounce the KHL as its a quickly emerging league thats at this point safely the 2nd best league in the world. However, your homer glasses are just as tight as some of the people you retort. Please make a list of players who you feel would make the top line of a playoff NHL team who right plays top line in the KHL, or even make a list of players who play 2nd line KHL minutes who could step into 2nd line NHL minutes on a playoff team.

Or lets go even broader. Do you really think your best team could beat the NHL's best team? or could your worse team beat our worse. Because your one example was a top end KHL team Vs. The NY Rangers who were 7th in their conference and like 16th in the league. Its not really a fair comparison

Honestly man, your paranoid about NHL being the absolute best. But seriously how much KHL do you watch or know about to make statements?
I watch both but im not going to ramble about what I think that certain few KHL teams could do in the NHL playoffs.
There are 2 KHL-NHL games coming up in october so well see what happens then.

Old
07-29-2010, 04:09 PM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
Honestly man, your paranoid about NHL being the absolute best. But seriously how much KHL do you watch or know about to make statements?
I watch both but im not going to ramble about what I think that certain few KHL teams could do in the NHL playoffs.
There are 2 KHL-NHL games coming up in october so well see what happens then.
fair enough....I will follow the games very closely. However you didn't answer any of my questions:

1) In what season did Marcel Hossa score 8 goals in 11 games in the NHL?

2) Which KHL team could beat their NHL equivalent? Because the fact that the top few could make the playoffs doesn't make the league anywhere near equal. That simply says that the best team in the KHL is better then the 8th best team in an NHL conference. While I agree that this is true, it certainly doesn't make the leagues anywhere near equal. Equal would be the best KHL team being able to beat the best NHL team, and I sincerely doubt it would happen over a 7 game series. Maybe if we played one game....but the worst NHL team beats the best NHL team all the time. It doesn't really display anything of substance

I am not the paranoid one here my friend. As I started with, I am astounded how quickly the KHL has become the force it is today (and yes I do follow the league even if I cannot watch many games). However you made statements that I find to lack validity, and I am asking for clarification. I don't see how that's soo difficult.

Last edited by dbhislife: 07-29-2010 at 04:15 PM.
dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:54 AM
yunost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhislife View Post
fair enough....I will follow the games very closely. However you didn't answer any of my questions:

1) In what season did Marcel Hossa score 8 goals in 11 games in the NHL?

2) Which KHL team could beat their NHL equivalent? Because the fact that the top few could make the playoffs doesn't make the league anywhere near equal. That simply says that the best team in the KHL is better then the 8th best team in an NHL conference. While I agree that this is true, it certainly doesn't make the leagues anywhere near equal. Equal would be the best KHL team being able to beat the best NHL team, and I sincerely doubt it would happen over a 7 game series. Maybe if we played one game....but the worst NHL team beats the best NHL team all the time. It doesn't really display anything of substance

I am not the paranoid one here my friend. As I started with, I am astounded how quickly the KHL has become the force it is today (and yes I do follow the league even if I cannot watch many games). However you made statements that I find to lack validity, and I am asking for clarification. I don't see how that's soo difficult.

Ok, for Hossa specifically:
He's on and off but once he gets used to a place he gets good. The 8 goals in 11 games was in the 06-07 season, and after that he got a knee injury, hence the relegation( and stagnation of carreer).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...terstitialskip

I think the bottom part mentions his uprising. The wikipedia article will probably have relevant news. Either way after that injury he was not able to get his game bach, and very recently after that signed with KHL (2008). Even in his first season with the KHL he was nothing special, so I think its wrong to say that its the low level of league that made him seem good.
I think that after recovery and adjustment for one year, he was able to step his game up. Maybe he could have done the same in NHL. In a KHL tv interview with Hossa, he mentioned that the style of play between the two continents is very different(for him especially) and that KHL style suits him alot more. Thats that.

On that note the styles are quite different and its not that one is better than the other. Its a big skill to be able to adjust to both styles quickly. You will find that many good european NHL players have deliberately been trained for NHL. For example Ovechkins club in Russia was preparing him for that style years before he came to Washington and thats one reason he was so successful so early on. Alot of the time they are not though, and thats why they may appear to you as crappy players that cant make the NHL, when in reality they could be awesome players that just need adjusting. Very often they are put in AHL clubs and some of them regress. A KHL example would be Weinhandl, the brilliant S wedishforward for Dynamo, that I think is a world class player, spent one or two seasons in NA with no success.

Then there are guys like Jan Marek who have no interest in coming to NA, and prefer to stay in their country. He plays in Russia and even that is really far for him. Lots of very talented guys play in europe that are simply 'off the radar'.

All these factors come into play if you really wanna analyze the leagues.

Yes, I agree with you, they are nowhere near equal(although I dont recall anyone sane claiming the KHL to be that). And again I admit that many teams are pretty embarrassing that operate with 10 mil budgets. But still KHL is a solid second, and there are teams that are very high level.

Personally I am more of an NHL fan, and follow more NHL. I dont exactly know what you mean by top NHL teams. My personal favorite, and the one I would say would go at least to the conference final(capitals) was upset in 1st round. Flyers were also down there. So i cant really say, but I am sure that Ak-Bars Kazan, 6th or 7th regular season standing could really compete with the equivalent in the NHL for a 7-game series. Also Ak-Bars happens to specialize in preparing for playoffs and is back to back winner. Teams like Salavat Yulaev, and SKA have a very high amount of players with NHL experience and ones that are very good, and I could say they along with maybe a few more would be competitive too.

As for specific players that could transfer to some line (IMO).
Radulov would probably have a higher role in NHL.
Vasili Koshechkin imo is a really good goalie that could easily play NHL.
Petri Vehannen is probably better than 70% of NHL goalies.
Morozov, Korneev, Nabokov Pretty much all of the KHL players on olympic team Russia.
I dont have the KHL rosters memorized but the list would be solid.

Also there are guys that dont do well in KHL but probably would be better in NHL. Guys like Zherdev.

I dont really know what my conclusion is. All im saying is that the KHL is a good league and given that most NHL clubs operate under budgets 5x those of KHL, I think that KHL is doing well. The KHL is also being competitive with some significant signings. Also its is only the beginning for the KHL and the Hockey market is growing. NHL is the dominant hockey league in the world. Some well financed clubs from the KHL are lovering that gap.

Old
07-30-2010, 03:02 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

The ****ing NHL is ****ing **** stupid as ****

we had kovy on a 17 ****ing year contract, which likely would have seen at least 15 years happen for sure. And Bettman wants to not come off as a push over with the cap? DICK move.

really don't want to see him go to KHL, but think it would be the best thing that could happen to the KHL right about now.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 07:50 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
The ****ing NHL is ****ing **** stupid as ****

we had kovy on a 17 ****ing year contract, which likely would have seen at least 15 years happen for sure. And Bettman wants to not come off as a push over with the cap? DICK move.

really don't want to see him go to KHL, but think it would be the best thing that could happen to the KHL right about now.
I think it's stupid for the KHL as the league doesn't correspond the level of the player (even though I am in no way a fan of Kovi). KHL is a joke, there's nothing close to parity, and as someone stated rightly so - the President of the league while a president of a club within the league is a joke and is making the rules up on the go. Kovi needs to stay in the NHL, even though he'd be MUCH better of in LA and not in the defense first Jersey team.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote