HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pittsburgher Talk - Steelers, Pirates, Nits, Panthers, Mounties, Griz, Bills, etc

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Pittsburgher Talk - Steelers, Pirates, Nits, Panthers, Mounties, Griz, Bills, etc

Round 754.

Evan Meek looked quite nice in the closer's role...something for Russell to think about. Three consecutive Pirates wins after the most embarrassing week ever. Limas Sweed changes jersey numbers from #14 to #80, is that enough (read: no its not). First round selection Maurkice Pouncey consumes his twin brother in draft celebration; is assigned a number so amazing that its not allowed by the NFL. Two Montana Grizzlies get drafted to teams I hate. All this and more on Inside Edition.

Old
04-30-2010, 12:15 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Round 754.

Evan Meek looked quite nice in the closer's role...something for Russell to think about. Three consecutive Pirates wins after the most embarrassing week ever. Limas Sweed changes jersey numbers from #14 to #80, is that enough (read: no its not). First round selection Maurkice Pouncey consumes his twin brother in draft celebration; is assigned a number so amazing that its not allowed by the NFL. Two Montana Grizzlies get drafted to teams I hate. All this and more on Inside Edition.
...and congrats on getting into that class, friend. good stuff.

Old
04-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
...and congrats on getting into that class, friend. good stuff.
Takk. I gotta admit, I'm feeling a streak of confidence that I haven't had in a while. When my hard drive went down in October I lost my entire back-catalog of fiction writing. Though I'm in Creative Writing my focus changed somewhere around me going to Denmark to writing more non-fiction, so I got into the class on the merits of a rough copy of a story I didn't like in its finished stage because it was literally the only thing I had to submit (thanks to me emailing it to myself a few years ago because I needed to print it off at the library because I was out of ink). I'm taking a few various writing workshops outside of the University this Summer and heading to Yellowstone for another week or so for a completely unrelated experience (unknown as to what since I don't want to be in Yellowstone as the Penguins are still playing...once you head about two miles south of Bozeman there is no such thing as the 'outside world'), everything in non-fiction. This is a new realm for me, so we'll see how it goes. My 'real life' is apparently much more entertaining than anything my brain creates, so, we'll see how well that translates to paper.

Old
04-30-2010, 02:31 AM
MalKing71*

who did we get in the Nate Mcclouth trade again?

Old
04-30-2010, 02:37 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

P Jeff Locke (2-1, 2.89 ERA in 4 starts in high A Bradenton this season)
P Charlie Morton (sucks)
CF Gorkys Hernandez (.192/.289/.205 in 83 AB in AA Altoona this season)
for
CF Nate McLouth (.148/.277/.241)

Christ, McLouth is stinking it up. Morton and Hernandez are hardly doing better, but Locke is looking great in Bradenton at least.

Old
04-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Dylonus

You know...

I wonder how good Mike will be. Maybe we get both Pouncey's on the OL after next year's draft

Interesting fact, but Sanders 40 times was only .05 slower than Holmes, and his vertical jump OWNED Holmes AND DeSean Jackson, plus his cone times and accleration tests OWNED Jackson's and Holmes'

Sanders, IMO, has much better hands coming out of college as either do, and is quite the person to be around.

Looks like we replaced Holmes with someone with more potential

Old
04-30-2010, 10:04 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
You know...

I wonder how good Mike will be. Maybe we get both Pouncey's on the OL after next year's draft

Interesting fact, but Sanders 40 times was only .05 slower than Holmes, and his vertical jump OWNED Holmes AND DeSean Jackson, plus his cone times and accleration tests OWNED Jackson's and Holmes'

Sanders, IMO, has much better hands coming out of college as either do, and is quite the person to be around.

Looks like we replaced Holmes with someone with more potential
Mike played at guard at UF. He will move to center which is his strongest position. That is reason he is staying at UF. He feels this is best chance to get picked in first round 2011 draft like his brother. Would be cool to have him plays with his brother for Steelers but that's very unlikely.

I like Sanders. I think he have a chance to be 3rd receiver this season but we'll see.

Old
04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
P Jeff Locke (2-1, 2.89 ERA in 4 starts in high A Bradenton this season)
P Charlie Morton (sucks)
CF Gorkys Hernandez (.192/.289/.205 in 83 AB in AA Altoona this season)
for
CF Nate McLouth (.148/.277/.241)

Christ, McLouth is stinking it up. Morton and Hernandez are hardly doing better, but Locke is looking great in Bradenton at least.
Lol it's underrated absolutely hilarious that you gave us everyone else's ****** numbers and you just wrote (sucks) for Charlie Morton haahahaha

Yeah that trade is looking a little bit like a bad one for both sides at this point. Hernandez was the centerpiece and he's been awful. Morton needs to get his mind right to have a shot in the bigs. At least Locke looks good. He always had the most upside to me out of anyone in this deal. He's a lefty who throws like 91-94 and has some decent breaking stuff. When we got him Keith Law had him somewhere in the 90s of his Top 100 prospects. I'm glad he's doing well at least.

Old
04-30-2010, 03:46 PM
JTG

McShay released his 2011 mock draft (as laughable as that is). I looked back at his 2010 mock draft done last May, and it wasn't even close, so really this is just all for fun right now, but the results are interesting.

He has the Bills picking 1st overall, but has them taking Luck, the QB out of Stanford and has Locker dropping to the Jags at 9. He has the Steelers picking John Baldwin, yeah, the WR from Pitt at 23. He has Romeus going 32 to New Orleans.

Kiper released his top 5 per position for 2011. He has Pitt's Jason Pinkston the 4th rated offensive tackle, Penn State's Stefen Wisniewski the 2nd rated center, and Romeus the 3rd rated DE.

What's crazy is that North Carolina has the top rated DT, OLB, ILB, and 2nd rated safety.

Last edited by JTG: 04-30-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old
04-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Locke has potential, so I won't poo poo everything about that trade yet...but Morton's head is his biggest liability and everyone in the world figured out that Hernandez was overrated as a prospect at about the same time. I still can't believe he was once ranked the 62nd best prospect in baseball despite not having anything but speed.

I've said it a million times and he just keeps confirming it for me, Nate McLouth just isn't that good. I'd say its so rare to see a trade turn out so utterly horrible for both sides, but Locke has been great since entering the system and has a good pedigree (2nd round pick in 2006, some scouting services had him among Atlanta's best prospects)...so we may yet still win that trade, shockingly enough.

Old
04-30-2010, 04:17 PM
DJ Spinoza

I agree that the bottom line of the trade is that McLouth isn't very good, but perhaps to defend Morton, I think he can only be severely downgraded is if he completely falls out of favor and ends the year in AAA. His stuff is just too good, and it's statistically impossible for him to keep getting hit this hard. I have faith that Kerrigan can work out some of his flaws, although admittedly, a lot of it is mental.

Let's hope that a team playing well can give him some confidence to go out there and attack batters. Morton has had small streaks of dominance when he's doing just that, and perhaps the Dodgers woes can snowball into a few more innings of success. The key to our play on this win streak has been adequate or very good starting pitching.

Then again, good hitting lefties like Loney and Ethier might get to Morton early and often, and we didn't hit Billingsley well at all. I'm not optimistic--both teams are due to return to their norm.

Old
04-30-2010, 09:21 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Pirates get a run in the 1st. Aki and McCutchen with doubles. Jones with another walk. Has 18 now. 4th in the league in free passes. It is tough for him with no protection behind him. Why pitch to the only legit power threat in the lineup?

EDIT: In Charlie Morton style, he has faced 3 batters, and given up 2 runs.

Last edited by td_ice: 04-30-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old
04-30-2010, 10:01 PM
AK

Morton finally settles down, and now Crosby and Clement commit terrible errors two out of three plays.

They need to field behind this guy. His confidence is completely gone if something doesn't improve tonight.

Old
04-30-2010, 10:08 PM
AK

This is getting ridiculous.

Morton is currently worse than any Pirate pitcher I can ever remember. He could legitimately put up an ERA north of 20 if given a full season.

Old
05-01-2010, 12:29 PM
WVP

Random question for the locals. Does anyone know of a somewhat high end watch repair shop in the area? I'm looking to replace the leather band on one of my watches but have no interest in the pleather options at the mall kiosks.

Unfortunately the manufacturer no longer has the band in stock, already tried that route.

Old
05-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Random question for the locals. Does anyone know of a somewhat high end watch repair shop in the area? I'm looking to replace the leather band on one of my watches but have no interest in the pleather options at the mall kiosks.

Unfortunately the manufacturer no longer has the band in stock, already tried that route.
Some watch companies have dealers that have parts specifically for their watches.

I'm sure some jewelry stores may be able to help you out. Orr's Jewlers in Squirrel Hill is a huge place. Maybe they have something.

Old
05-01-2010, 02:30 PM
AK

Quote:

My brother just had a watch repaired at Jared, I think.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Mr. T

Quote:

Did you try anywhere in the Clark building?

Old
05-01-2010, 06:50 PM
DJ Spinoza

I really don't think Morton was that bad last night. The 3-run homer never should have happened and wouldn't have with adequate defense. He wasn't good, but it was a pretty big improvement, throwing a lot of first pitches for strikes, looking generally in control, etc. The offense is showing itself to not be very good, but you had to expect that last night was going to be a loss. Tonight is the game you expect the Pirates to be able to take, but Duke was bad last time.

Old
05-01-2010, 08:41 PM
AK

It's Duke against a Rule 5 scrub tonight, though Monasterios has pitched pretty well for LA so far.

All the ingredients are present for a Dodgers shutout.

Old
05-01-2010, 09:25 PM
DJ Spinoza

Lately, it seems like umpires are punching people out just for the hell of it.

Old
05-01-2010, 09:36 PM
AK

So frustrating...that was a three run home run if not for Iwamura and the umpire being total idiots.

Old
05-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Whoever runs atdhe hates baseball for some reason. They don't have a link for the Pirates game at all (or any games, tonight). I'm watching boxing. This sport is not what it used to be.

Old
05-01-2010, 09:52 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

We are fundamentally awful.

Iwamura running on a 3-0 count. Milledge not paying attention on the base paths. Should have been thrown out if not for a brain cramp by the catcher. The Dodgers stink, and this pitcher stinks, and it is only 1-0 Buc's, well, because the Buc's stink as well.

Old
05-01-2010, 09:53 PM
AK

It should be 6-0 now, too. Very annoying. This is why we suck.

Closed Thread