HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rutherford: Whitney unlikely to sign with Canes

Old
06-12-2010, 09:58 AM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
If I'm giving up Letang+, I'm going for an actual NHL player that can help us right now and has proven something. But yeah, I agree that moving him would be an option for certain guys.
Yeah seriously. Who would give up Letang + for a package surrounding Kassian? HF logic is frightening. The infatuation with picks and prospects is maddening

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:13 AM
wej20

I think we might be able to do a trade based around Letang and Setoguchi.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Well, I believe Kassian will become better than Dustin Byfuglien (as a power forward), so yeah I'd overpay for sure.
Wasn't that impressed with Kassian the dozen or so times I saw him play this year. Not to the point I'd be happy seeing the Pens trade two or three assets to acquire him.

He reminds me of David Clarkson, but without Clarkson's consistency of effort. I don't like the Lucic comparisons because Kassian doesn't have a rocket of a shot, and while he throws the odd big hit, they're not as punishing as Lucic's.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:15 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Wasn't that impressed with Kassian the dozen or so times I saw him play this year. Not to the point I'd be happy seeing the Pens trade two or three assets to acquire him.

He reminds me of David Clarkson, but without Clarkson's consistency of effort. I don't like the Lucic comparisons because Kassian doesn't have a rocket of a shot, and while he throws the odd big hit, they're not as punishing as Lucic's.
I Agree, I see him becoming an NHLer but there's a good chance it's as a 2nd/3rd line tweener rather than a 1st liner.

Last edited by wej20: 06-12-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old
06-12-2010, 10:17 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Yeah seriously. Who would give up Letang + for a package surrounding Kassian? HF logic is frightening. The infatuation with picks and prospects is maddening
I didn't cite Kassian specifically, I said someone that can help us now and in the future and to DrFrasierCrane's point, that means someone that's proven something.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

Kassian reads the play well. He isn't intimidated to play with top skill. That's what I like. And he can really intimidate in his own right, which creates space for great players to thrive.

Basically, what I am saying here is Kassian is the perfect power forward for Crosby or Malkin. So yeah, I'd overpay for him definitely. I realize Buffalo loves him but maybe they can be swayed to give him up for a short-term fix, considering his current legal issues.

Anyways, no to trading Letang. We already have defensive question marks and issues. We don't need to compound them.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:38 AM
JTG

Kassian doesn't have enough offensive potential to overpay for him, IMO. If I thought he had 30-40 goal potential, I'd overpay for him because his physicality and intimidation factor is undeniable. I just don't see Kassian as a natural offensive performer.

He seems like a 3rd wheel guy on a top 6 line to me. 25 goals and 50 points a season seems like realistic expectations to me for him.

Old
06-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Kassian doesn't have enough offensive potential to overpay for him, IMO. If I thought he had 30-40 goal potential, I'd overpay for him because his physicality and intimidation factor is undeniable. I just don't see Kassian as a natural offensive performer.

He seems like a 3rd wheel guy on a top 6 line to me. 25 goals and 50 points a season seems like realistic expectations to me for him.
Exactly. We have enough of those. Kunitz, Tangradi if he makes the team, Dupuis, Kennedy, whoever. Shero should be looking for wingers that can carry the puck and create offense.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Jag68Sid87

Normally, I'd agree with you Dan. But to me Kassian is the exception to the rule. He's a beast. Future NHL all-star. And an absolutely perfect fit for our system.

Old
06-12-2010, 06:09 PM
oshjo75

Quote:
Normally, I'd agree with you Dan. But to me Kassian is the exception to the rule. He's a beast. Future NHL all-star. And an absolutely perfect fit for our system.
I agree. I think he will be a monster. I would trade for him in a heartbeat.

oshjo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:11 PM
JTG

Quote:
What has he done offensively in his junior and pro careers that makes you think he will put up enough offense to be a future NHL all-star?

Old
06-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Dan Barr

Jags has a feelin'. And when he gets a feelin'...

Old
06-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

... he needs sexual healin'?

Not my department.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:59 PM
clefty
What?

Versteeg as a player worries me. I said in the playoff thread that I don't think there's a player who screws around with the puck more than he does, I'm not sure about his hockey sense. Added to his reputation of inconsistency and turnover frequency, I think he's an example of style over substance.

Plus I like this years draft depth in the first 40 or so picks.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:50 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Versteeg as a player worries me. I said in the playoff thread that I don't think there's a player who screws around with the puck more than he does, I'm not sure about his hockey sense. Added to his reputation of inconsistency and turnover frequency, I think he's an example of style over substance.

I'd like to get buf just because Flyers fans now hate him, and he hates them. But maybe for a 2nd round pick instead.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 05:34 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:

Yeah, there's probably many guys better than Versteeg at 20 that, in 4 years, will put up 25 goals for us.

Not.

I love that he dicks around with the puck. At least he can carry it for more than 10 feet.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Yeah, there's probably many guys better than Versteeg at 20 that, in 4 years, will put up 25 goals for us.

Not.

I love that he dicks around with the puck. At least he can carry it for more than 10 feet.
Hahaha, drunk Doc is awesome.

But I agree. Versteeg helps this team now, and is very arguably going to be better than anyone we can pick at 20, more safe of a decision too if you want to go the safe route.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:23 AM
jdpitt05

Versteeg is nice, but I'd be pulling for Byfuglien if it was between those two for the same price. Buff's presence in the playoffs far outweighs Versteeg's imo. Versteeg is also only 5' 10 and doesn't consistently make the simple plays. I'd gladly take either though.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:

He dicks around with the puck because he's one of the best stick-handlers in the league. He's often out there trying to create something out of nothing. Sometimes it results in a turnover, sometimes it results in a nice offensive chance. He's not going to make the 'safe' play all the time, but it's worth it.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
Versteeg is nice, but I'd be pulling for Byfuglien if it was between those two for the same price. Buff's presence in the playoffs far outweighs Versteeg's imo. Versteeg is also only 5' 10 and doesn't consistently make the simple plays. I'd gladly take either though.
The Penguins have enough guys who consistently make the simple plays. Hell, most of them ONLY make the simple plays. Versteeg is exactly the type of winger the team needs.

Old
06-13-2010, 09:01 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldblum View Post
He dicks around with the puck because he's one of the best stick-handlers in the league. He's often out there trying to create something out of nothing. Sometimes it results in a turnover, sometimes it results in a nice offensive chance. He's not going to make the 'safe' play all the time, but it's worth it.
plus we've already got Kunitz, Dupuis, etc who make the safe simple play.

Old
06-13-2010, 10:19 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
Jags has a feelin'. And when he gets a feelin'...
Someone once used the term "child-like sense of wonderment" to describe Jags.

I believe that fits well.

Old
06-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
I'm with him on this. Kassian is already a legit heavyweight right now and he elevates his game when he plays with superior linemates. He may never score 30 goals, but so what? He's more of a playmaker than anything. He could be a 25g-50a guy next to Crosby.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Jag68Sid87

Yeah, that's how I see him as well.

I believe child-like sense of wonderment is a compliment, so thanks!

Old
06-13-2010, 02:22 PM
JTG

Quote:
Yeah, that's how I see him as well.

I believe child-like sense of wonderment is a compliment, so thanks!

It will keep you young...that much is for sure.