HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Where does Turris play in 2010-2011?

Old
06-08-2010, 02:22 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
You have received your answer numerous times and you're ignoring it. What will change? The player! Tippett isn't blind.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:49 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I once again ask the question, because I still haven't seen an answer.

Why do you believe Tippet will be giving young players time, when all indications are in the past he has not? And I'm talking about after next season after KT is supposedly ready. Or a hypothetical NHL ready player now.

crazyhockeylover96, I think you are misunderstanding my position. I am, and remain in favor of KT in the AHL for all the reasons you stated, and always have been. I am merely asking people who know more about these things than I do, why Tippet will play these guys in the future.
I think the "Tippett hates rookies" things is overstated. Is anyone dissatisfied with his treatment of Lepisto this past year?

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:45 AM
elTIGREblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
If we don't sign Lombo, we're going to be slim on centers. I like what Fiddler did last year but please, not on the first line!
This is what will make a huge impact on where he plays next season... Center depth and salary cap issues.

Is Wolski a center?

Depending how much allowance money the NHL gave DM to play with, he may need to call up some kids from the A.

If Kyle can come into camp with 5-10 more pounds of muscle and have a monster preseason, I would feel very comfortable having him as the 3rd line center with some 2nd PP and PK time who plays 14-16 minutes per game. This way he gets quality minutes and without the pressure to be the El Savior or The Face of the team.

(speaking of face, it's a little offside to compare him to a nerd TV guy, funny, but offside. let's break out your high school grad pic and see who you match up with! lol...)

To me 15 minutes per game in the NHL can be equivalent experience as being the man in the AHL for 20 minutes a game. If he can come into camp at 180-185lbs, size / strength should not be the determining factor if he stays or goes.

That's my vote. Is there any way to get in touch with KT and to provide him with positive reinforcement to ensure he trains in the gym all summer? Tell him to stop water-skiing in BC all summer! lol

elTIGREblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:06 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I think the "Tippett hates rookies" things is overstated. Is anyone dissatisfied with his treatment of Lepisto this past year?
And much like Turris WILL be, Lepisto was a bit older, more mature, and had a lot of pro experience. Sounds more like the type of player Tippett would trust.

Old
06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
PhoPhan

Not to mention I don't know that Tippett has ever really dealt with any high-caliber young players like Turris, the sort who come with a mandate for playing time from management.

Old
06-08-2010, 10:43 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Not to mention I don't know that Tippett has ever really dealt with any high-caliber young players like Turris, the sort who come with a mandate for playing time from management.
Could make a case for James Neal, who spent parts of two seasons in the AHL before EARNING a spot on the Stars and subsequently Tippett's trust. If Turris can EARN the trust of Tippett, he'll play. There are no vendettas or personal agendas toward young players. This is a performance-driven industry, plain and simple.

That said, I think Turris will be ready to make the jump next year. We need more (can only go up from zero) pure scorers, and that organizational need is not likely to be addressed through free agency. He's had his share of obstacles so far, including the back surgery last off-season, but he really brought it in the second half of last season and I expect big things from him. JVR is finally making headway with the Flyers on the biggest stage, and it should motivate Turris to do the same.

Worst case scenario, he spends the first month or two in the AHL and plays so well they have no choice but to call him up.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:00 AM
PhoPhan

I guess my point wasn't that Tippett has never had good young players, just none with the pedigree of a guy like Turris. Though for what it's worth, James Neal didn't exactly light up the AHL in his brief time there.

Old
06-08-2010, 11:10 AM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTIGREblanc View Post
(speaking of face, it's a little offside to compare him to a nerd TV guy, funny, but offside. let's break out your high school grad pic and see who you match up with! lol...)
The difference is out of high school I wasn't getting paid $875,000 + per year and expected to play against guys like.....

Why are they hanging out in front of the ladies restroom?

Needs a woman.

crazyhockeylover96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:12 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

With regards to the Lepisto example, he was four years older, with four more years of pro experience, and twenty pounds heavier. He was just plain ready, and could not be held back any longer. Is scoring forty goals and putting up ninety points in the AHL, next season, going to hurt Turris? Of course not. Does this team NEED Kyle Turris to get us to the playoffs? Clearly not. So why not wait? What's the downside to being patient?

Old
06-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
With regards to the Lepisto example, he was four years older, with four more years of pro experience, and twenty pounds heavier. He was just plain ready, and could not be held back any longer. Is scoring forty goals and putting up ninety points in the AHL, next season, going to hurt Turris? Of course not. Does this team NEED Kyle Turris to get us to the playoffs? Clearly not. So why not wait? What's the downside to being patient?
It's still not altogether clear whether GMDM will be able to sign the UFAs or even all the RFAs. There is still no guarantee that the team will be in Phx for 2011/12 so it may be difficult finding players who will sign multi-year contracts. It's still not known what DM's budget is. I know Tippett wants to win every game but finishing high in the Conference still got us a playoff round against the Wings and a first round exit. There may be more tolerance for young players if there are big holes in the lineup.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:25 PM
elTIGREblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhockeylover96 View Post
The difference is out of high school I wasn't getting paid $875,000 + per year and expected to play against guys like.....

All I noticed from your pics is that Chris Pronger has fantastic hair... lol...

Where is a topless Kyle Turris pic when you need one?!

This just in! Check this vid of KT's workout regiment, very impressive:

http://www.nartube.com/b61b58c2fdc10...i-dxHli2E.html

Last edited by elTIGREblanc: 06-08-2010 at 01:35 PM.
elTIGREblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
It's still not altogether clear whether GMDM will be able to sign the UFAs or even all the RFAs. There is still no guarantee that the team will be in Phx for 2011/12 so it may be difficult finding players who will sign multi-year contracts. It's still not known what DM's budget is. I know Tippett wants to win every game but finishing high in the Conference still got us a playoff round against the Wings and a first round exit. There may be more tolerance for young players if there are big holes in the lineup.
If we have to replace the likes of Lombardi, Stempniak, and Michalek with guys like Turris, Tikhonov, and OEL, than the playoffs are a pipe dream, anyhow. So, again, we don't NEED him next season.

Old
06-08-2010, 03:47 PM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If we have to replace the likes of Lombardi, Stempniak, and Michalek with guys like Turris, Tikhonov, and OEL, than the playoffs are a pipe dream, anyhow. So, again, we don't NEED him next season.
Stempniak should be compared more to MacLean since they're both goal scorers, but really I don't see the point in mentioning Stempniak since we were a playoff team without him.

I believe Turris can be a productive player for us next season, but I think it's vital to keep Lombardi so Turris can play on the second line for now.

I'm calling it now: OEL will be rookie of the year if makes the team (I'm half serious)

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I'm curious why rt is wanting to put Wolski as a center. He did really well as the go to LW alongside Lombo and Doan. Is it because you feel there's a chance Lombardi doesn't come back and therefore we slide Wolski in his spot? I just don't see the need to take a strength away from the wings, a position thats needed some firepower for some years, and put it down the middle where we've been plenty stable.

I think it would only open up more holes than fill them. In other words, I feel it would be easier to fill Lombardi's spot than to fill that top LW spot.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 04:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
Stempniak should be compared more to MacLean since they're both goal scorers, but really I don't see the point in mentioning Stempniak since we were a playoff team without him.

I believe Turris can be a productive player for us next season, but I think it's vital to keep Lombardi so Turris can play on the second line for now.

I'm calling it now: OEL will be rookie of the year if makes the team (I'm half serious)
I am also excited about OEL. That said, there is a way, way too much hype being built up on this kid. He's blown me away every time I've watched him. Having said that, every time he's played on North American ice, it's been against teenagers. When he plays against men, it's over on the larger European surfaces. That means that to this point, he's had the luxury of more time and space than he will enjoy in the NHL, where it will be a men's league and the smaller surface.

Old
06-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post

I'll take Tikhonov over Stempniak going into next year.Tiki will atleast play in his own end, has a bit more mass to his body and is still getting better. Lee was knocked on his can and off the puck while in Phoenix about as many times Viktor was his first year here. So it's not like we're gonna be losing any physical presence he brings. There's not a lot that can be done in order for me to be gung-ho for the return of Stemp. Short of a bargain contract or a gaping hole in one of the RW slots.

Old
06-08-2010, 05:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
I'm curious why rt is wanting to put Wolski as a center. He did really well as the go to LW alongside Lombo and Doan. Is it because you feel there's a chance Lombardi doesn't come back and therefore we slide Wolski in his spot? I just don't see the need to take a strength away from the wings, a position thats needed some firepower for some years, and put it down the middle where we've been plenty stable.

I think it would only open up more holes than fill them. In other words, I feel it would be easier to fill Lombardi's spot than to fill that top LW spot.
It's never easier to fill a spot down the middle than on the wing. I think Wolski's game lends itself to the center position fairly well. Perhaps not in terms of face-offs, but at least in terms of creating in the offenisve zone. It's not that I feel he can replace Lombardi. I feel we need both.

Lombardi, Wolski, Hanzal, and Fiddler.

Doan-Wolski-Tikhonov(oldest, most responsible, most pro-experience of prospect candidates)
Upshall-Lombardi-Stempniak
Prucha-Hanzal-Vrbata
Pyatt-Fiddler-Winnik
Korpikoski, Bissonnette

or

Doan-Wolski-Stempniak
Upshall-Lombardi-Prucha
Tikhonov-Hanzal-Vrbata

or

Doan-Wolski-Vrbata
Upshall-Lombardi-Stempniak
Prucha-Hanzal-Tikhonov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
I'll take Tikhonov over Stempniak going into next year.Tiki will atleast play in his own end, has a bit more mass to his body and is still getting better. Lee was knocked on his can and off the puck while in Phoenix about as many times Viktor was his first year here. So it's not like we're gonna be losing any physical presence he brings. There's not a lot that can be done in order for me to be gung-ho for the return of Stemp. Short of a bargain contract or a gaping hole in one of the RW slots.
Knocked on his can, or not, he goes hard to the net and produces goals. He obviously fits in well here. We'd be crazy to let him go. The way this league is going, it's the guys the go straight to the crease that are going to have success. Right now, Stempniak is one of the guys that has this figured out. Upshall is another.

Old
06-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I don't know, I see a few of issues with the lineups you proposed, but thats a diff story. I just think its weird that before the trade deadline, some.. if not most of us, were looking for Maloney to acquire scoring help.. (i.e. Ponikorovski, Whitney, ect..) and were just about dead set to give up a 2nd+Ross or something like that, while being resigned to fact that we would let said player walk during free agency. Regardless of their production. It was a completely realistic and plausible outcome that we had come to terms with.

Now, we end up getting Stempniak for... a 5th rounder, was it? And Kurt Sauer jr. Yeah, he did score almost a goal a game, but now he's suddenly not seen as expendable. Plus, I didn't like Stempniak's play during the playoffs at all. He wasn't scoring.. but he wasn't really doing anything else exceptionally well either. The Wings, and most of the teams we played near the end, figured him out pretty quick. Put the body on him.

But hey, if DM see's the perfect spot for him and we already have Hanzal, Michalek, Wolski, Lombardi and Lepisto under contract... go for it.

Old
06-08-2010, 06:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

We got Michalek for a minor leaguer. We got Vrbata for Fedoruk. Upshall only cost us Carcillo. Are these guys not worth keeping because we didn't give up much to get them? They're good fits. Stempniak is a good fit.

Old
06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

If we are lucky enough to keep some guys and not able to sign any impact players, here's what I'd like to see:

Upshaw Lombo Stemp

Wolski Turris MacLean/Boedker

Doan Hanzel Virbata

Tik/Biz Fiddler Winnik

Jovo Yanle

Morris OEL

Sauer/Aucoin Lepisto

I just think Doan would be perfect on Hanzel's line. I liked the hustle Nokelanien brought when he played last year but I dont' know where he'd fit in. The top line I have rally doesn't scream 3 #1s but Lombo feeding Stemp and Upshaw could be very productive.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

*ahem* Korpikoski

Prucha is under contract for next year as well.

Old
06-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Wolski-Lombo-Upshall
Vrbata-Hanzal-Doan

Korp-Fiddler-Tikhonov
UFA-UFA-Prucha

Looking at it that way, I guess I can see the possibility of trading Prucha for a depth player or two, if possible, thus leaving an opening for Stemp.

Old
06-08-2010, 08:04 PM
RR

Quote:
Or Loui Eriksson in Dallas, drafted following Tip's 1st year coaching in Dallas? Debuted in NHL at age 22, 4 years after draft.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:22 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Tippett is a guy who knows what happens when you bring young players into the NHL too soon and so do Coyote fans. If you earn a spot on the team then you get the spot...thats Tip's way of doing things and I wholeheartedly agree. Turris and other young players will get as many chances as everyone else does to make the big club...I wish we had treated Turris in this way by making him stay at Wisconsin in the first case but that is a different issue entirely.

Tip knows what he is doing...I say let him do it.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Or Loui Eriksson in Dallas, drafted following Tip's 1st year coaching in Dallas? Debuted in NHL at age 22, 4 years after draft.
Exactly when I expect Turris will be ready for prime time. Eriksson is looking like he's going to turn into a heck of a player, too. I don't see any reson why Turris won't end up doing the same