HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Was Mike Rathje while on LTIR still cashing in?

Old
06-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

vCash: 500
Was Mike Rathje while on LTIR still cashing in?

Retired defenseman Mike Rathje finally finished his deal with the Flyers comes July 1st.
I was wondering was Rathje still getting paid while he was on LTIR for the past 3 years?

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:50 PM
mm6492

I think he got paid, but didn't count towards the cap.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:52 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Gotta love the Flyers

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:52 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Yep, wouldn't you?

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1216
Sure was

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Oblivion

I'd be fairly certain that the contracts signed have insurance (given that the players are unionized). I would be willing to bet that Rathje was getting paid to stay home, with worker's comp paying him X (like $19K) amount of dollars and likely an insurance company paying him the rest (i.e. millions).

As far as the Flyers are concerned, they may also have to have paid a bit from the principal guaranteed, but it doesn't count against the cap.

Do you anticipate the Canucks making a move on his rights? jk

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I think he got paid, but didn't count towards the cap.
Yes he was paid and yes his salary counted towards the cap.

The Flyers were allowed to exceed the cap by the amount of his salary while on LTIR (same as Hatcher).
Quote:
A Club's payroll will include all salaries, signing bonuses and performance bonuses paid to players. Except in the case of bona fide long-term injury (injuries that sideline a player for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games) to one or more of a club's players, Club payrolls will never be permitted to be below the minimum or in excess of the maximum. Clubs at or near the upper limit that have players who incur a bona fide long-term injury will be entitled to replace up to the full value of the injured player's NHL salary (even if such salary would result in the club's team salary exceeding the upper limit). The "replacement salary" will not count against the club's upper limit but will count against the League-wide players' share. Upon return of the injured player, the team must come into immediate compliance with the requirements of the payroll range.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26366

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Mike Rathje is about as useless on the ice as I am. I wish I could have switched parts. I would have gone on the ice for Flyers and tackled and severely injured Keith. I would have made Bobby Clarke proud.

No, I don't really censor what my brain thinks.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Hatcher and Rathje are both currently locked in Holgrem's trunk... never to see daylight again.

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Wow, so for three years he gets 10.5 million for doing nothing.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I'd be fairly certain that the contracts signed have insurance (given that the players are unionized). I would be willing to bet that Rathje was getting paid to stay home, with worker's comp paying him X (like $19K) amount of dollars and likely an insurance company paying him the rest (i.e. millions).

As far as the Flyers are concerned, they may also have to have paid a bit from the principal guaranteed, but it doesn't count against the cap.

Do you anticipate the Canucks making a move on his rights? jk
In most jurisdictions of which I am aware Workers' Compensation does not apply to professional athletes.

Rathje's contract may have been insured. It depends upon how the Flyers structured the available insurance pool money.
Quote:
Teams are required to insure a handful of players through a “temporary total disability” program administered by the league. That program has been in place for about 15 years, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said, and is designed to make coverage more easily available to teams.

“It provides the underwriters with ’scale,’ spreads the risk and allows them to provide more favorable rates,” Daly said in an e-mail.

The league purchases its disability insurance through the BWD Group, a Long Island, N.Y., insurance broker that also obtains coverage for the NBA, WNBA and Major League Baseball. (One underwriter, the Chubb Corporation, touted its relationship with the NHL in its 2001 annual report.)

Each team pays a premium based on the salaries of its five highest-paid players, but is free to allocate that coverage how it wishes. Typically, a team will extend coverage to as many as seven players, Daly said. Coverage kicks in when a player misses at least 30 games.

Beyond that, individual teams are free to pursue additional coverage, but the heavy premiums make it a losing proposition. To insure a player under the league program, it costs about 5 percent of his salary. To insure additional players, it would cost substantially more.
http://insurancenewsnet.com/article....7b000000c1027a

Old
06-19-2010, 07:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
Hatcher and Rathje are both currently locked in Holgrem's trunk... never to see daylight again.
Hatcher's contract was up last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
Yes.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
In most jurisdictions of which I am aware Workers' Compensation does not apply to professional athletes.

Rathje's contract may have been insured. It depends upon how the Flyers structured the available insurance pool money.

http://insurancenewsnet.com/article....7b000000c1027a
Solid read, I should have been clearer, that was merely my own speculation. Basically applying Canadian contract law to an American employment contract. I'd agree though, it would be dependent based on the insurance provided through the Flyers.

Either way, undoubtably he got $10 million to stay at home.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:09 PM
mercury

Every year, he had to come in for a doctor's exam to see if he was in playing shape. If he had been determined to be, he would have been back on the cap. Obviously, he was really messed up. Too bad. Pitkanen-Rathje was one of the best defensive pairings in the league the first year back from the lockout.

2005-06 Flyers blueline

Pitkanen-Rathje
Hatcher-Johnsson
Desjardins-Meyer
Jones/Therien/Gauthier/Picard

There is literally not one defensemen left from that team. I think Gagne, Richards, and Carter are the only players still around. 2006-07 really cleared out some clutter.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
As provided in his Standard Player Contract as he was injured as result of Club activities (including playing). He is paid per his contract for the duration of the contract and the Club pays his hospital and medical expenses as well.
Quote:
It is also agreed that if the Player, in the sole judgment of the Club's physician, is disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player by reason of an injury sustained during the course of his employment as a hockey Player, including travel with his team or on business requested by the Club, he shall be entitled to receive his remaining Paragraph 1 Salary and Signing Bonuses due in accordance with the terms of this SPC for the remaining stated term of this SPC as long as the said disability and inability to perform continue but in no event beyond the expiration date of the fixed term of this SPC
(Also) the Club will pay the Player's reasonable hospitalization until discharged from the hospital, and his medical expenses and doctor's bills, provided that the hospital and doctor are approved by the Club. This approval will not be unreasonably withheld.
It is one of the reason's Steve Moore is suing because his contract ended a couple of months after Bertuzzi injured him and so did his hospital/medical coverage by the Av's and his salary. And as a player with few NHL games he was not entitled to a full disability pension.

Old
06-19-2010, 07:30 PM
caley

To be fair, the guy was actually injured. He managed to come all the way back and play in some pre-season games (In 08-09, I want to say), but re-injured himself. I'm sure, if it were up to him, he'd much rather be getting paid to play.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote