HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guy Boucher declines Jackets offer; goes to Tampa

Old
06-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjfan4life View Post
You're not our buddy, guy!
You're not our Guy, buddy.

The only way I'll feel really snubbed is if he goes to Tampa Bay or something. If he stays with the Habs that won't be quite so embarrassing.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:41 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
Scott Arniel.....your phone is ringing
I agree!! Scott Arniel would be a great coach. I've watched him with the Moose and the players like him but are deathly afraid of him too.
Very fair coach, but don't f- up too much or the pressbox is your new home!! He has also done alot with a team that is always decimated by the Canucks (who don't give a s**t about their farmteams performance.)

JMO

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

On the plus side, we now have something of substance to discuss here.

Time to go to MacJr. and Priest's notebooks.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
From what I've read today was he wanted control of who was called up/sent down and complete control of the nightly lineup. He also wanted to have input on trades/picks. Not all that unreasonable if you ask me. Seems we have some major ownership issues in CBJ land.
That's what I would have guessed, as well. Is there a more concrete quote about it out there or are you getting it from what was posted earlier in the thread?

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Now to sit back and watch the Dispatch defend and cover.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Now to sit back and watch the Dispatch defend and cover.
Or maybe something about him being a traitor, and a plane was somehow involved.

Old
06-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Has that "Two Requests Turned Down" rumor appeared anywhere else other then the comments of Puck-Rakers?

06-07-2010, 03:45 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Made it to TSN:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=323897

Still citing The Dispatch as it's source though.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:45 PM
DangleOH91

Wow. I can't really say I'm surprised, but this blows! It definitely feels like a kick in the ribs as a Blue Jacket fan. Especially if he goes to "greener pastures" such as Tampa. I don't fault him at all for wanting more time, I imagine this is more usual then any of us are aware of, but to keep an entire organization on pins and needles just to reject them? I dunno. In my opinion his actions were extremely arrogant and even if he would have accepted, would his heart had been here or ready to jump ship as soon as Martin gets the ax? If this is the case, we should be happy he declined and embrace whomever it is that actually wants to be here.

DangleOH91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:50 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 200
If the Jackets get Arniel as their new head coach, I'm changing my favorite team from the senators to the jackets!!! Not that anyone really cares except for my wife. Now I have to buy a new jersey with Mason on the back!!!

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Meh...if he didn't want to be here, I don't want him here. When I heard he wanted a weekend to think about it my first thought was "control freak" and the second was "we have too many of those in management already". He may be successful somewhere, he may not. Oh well. We have 3 other good candidates who have more experience and also advocate an up tempo style while motivating players.

Reality is....Howson didn't pick Hitch so there was no continuity. Howson makes his bed with this pick. There are only 30 of these jobs in the world. I don't see how anyone could feel being the 2nd choice is a slap in the face. Who knows what Guy had in the background. It wasn't a slam dunk. It was a gamble and Howson going outside the box. I respect him for trying.

Regardless of who's hired, they'll be given the ability to hire their own staff so that's not on the owners. No holdovers and no baggage. We'll have a coach in a day or two.

However, I bet Howson is pissed for what appears to be a waste of 3-4 days!

Xoggz22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:54 PM
hip check
Go North.

Rumor has it that Howson has decided to scrap the whole process and start over new. Should have a coach by early to mid August.
The endless speculation and waiting has been too fun. We should do this every year.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:54 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Prior to the offer, and before I heard why Boucher was offered the job, he would have been fourth on my list. Originally, I favored in order: MacLean, Arniel, Dineen, Noel/Boucher.

Now that he's been offered and had the unmitigated gall to turn the Jackets down, I want him to coach this team in the worst way, because his rejection makes me feel as if the Jackets are irrelevant, which of course they are, aren't they?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Dirtydownshift

I'm indifferent on the whole coach thing...Other than Noel, I haven't seen any others on the short list at work. However, this whole process is interesting. Porty's pretty reliable, and the Dispatch has a stake in the CBJ, so I'm confident Boucher said "no", but it's strange that noone else has confirmed it, even Howson. Why not just say "Yeah...Boucher's out" instead of avoiding comment. Maybe some more negotiating still going on?

Dirtydownshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Scouter

vCash: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
I agree!! Scott Arniel would be a great coach. I've watched him with the Moose and the players like him but are deathly afraid of him too.
Very fair coach, but don't f- up too much or the pressbox is your new home!! He has also done alot with a team that is always decimated by the Canucks (who don't give a s**t about their farmteams performance.)
JMO
That is simply not true, the nucks don't own the Moose anyway, so they don't exactly have control over what happens there.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:57 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Meh...if he didn't want to be here, I don't want him here. When I heard he wanted a weekend to think about it my first thought was "control freak" and the second was "we have too many of those in management already". He may be successful somewhere, he may not. Oh well. We have 3 other good candidates who have more experience and also advocate an up tempo style while motivating players.

Reality is....Howson didn't pick Hitch so there was no continuity. Howson makes his bed with this pick. There are only 30 of these jobs in the world. I don't see how anyone could feel being the 2nd choice is a slap in the face. Who knows what Guy had in the background. It wasn't a slam dunk. It was a gamble and Howson going outside the box. I respect him for trying.

Regardless of who's hired, they'll be given the ability to hire their own staff so that's not on the owners. No holdovers and no baggage. We'll have a coach in a day or two.

However, I bet Howson is pissed for what appears to be a waste of 3-4 days!
I agree.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Son of a ****ing *****, this ****ing blows. I was optimistic about Boucher too, that's what happens when I try to be optimistic about something CBJ related.

Either they guaranteed Boucher the Montreal job in 2 years, or our ownership ****ed up somewhere. I'll go with the 2nd part.

Problem with this leaking to the media on Friday, which we knew, is if he declined we'd look like morons, which we do now.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:58 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
I'm indifferent on the whole coach thing...Other than Noel, I haven't seen any others on the short list at work. However, this whole process is interesting. Porty's pretty reliable, and the Dispatch has a stake in the CBJ, so I'm confident Boucher said "no", but it's strange that noone else has confirmed it, even Howson. Why not just say "Yeah...Boucher's out" instead of avoiding comment. Maybe some more negotiating still going on?
I do agree that it is weird that Howson had no comment.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:00 PM
MFRONE

If Boucher really wanted full control to take the job then good riddance to him. I can't see any hockey organization ever giving that much power to a first year coach and they have every right to deny that demand. He was offered the job to be the coach and not the coach/GM.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
If Boucher really wanted full control to take the job then good riddance to him.
I highly doubt that, just excuses to make the CBJ not look like a complete turd.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:04 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Can't say I didn't tell you so.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:06 PM
hockeygeek

thats odd...I usually want the job without the interview

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Roadman
Moving On

It's his choice. Everything that I've been able to read indicates that he marches to his own drummer. Does things his own way, so more power to him.

It is not the end of the world. Head coaches and candidates have been turning down offers and have been making choices as long as there have been sports. So we move on.

And as far as his reported demands, and at this point they are simply that reported. We don't know what those demands were. And if they were beyond what the club, whether it was ownership or GMSH, was willing to agree to then it was a match that wasn't going to work anyway.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
If Boucher really wanted full control to take the job then good riddance to him. I can't see any hockey organization ever giving that much power to a first year coach and they have every right to deny that demand. He was offered the job to be the coach and not the coach/GM.
Who knows if we'll ever know the real details. However, if it was "ownership" and not "Howson" who objected to Boucher's demands, then I think there's a big problem.

Old
06-07-2010, 04:10 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
but it's strange that noone else has confirmed it, even Howson. Why not just say "Yeah...Boucher's out" instead of avoiding comment. Maybe some more negotiating still going on?
But Howson never confirmed he gave the offer in the first place so there's no need to confirm and unconfirmed offer has been turned down.

And why all the hate for turning down the offer? Dineen has reportedly turned down a couple NHL gigs and is highly repsected for it. It's a big, potententially career altering decision. He was right to think long and hard about it.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote