HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

IE9 vs Safari 5 - Round 1 (FPS Testing) - FIGHT!

Old
06-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 500
IE9 vs Safari 5 - Round 1 (FPS Testing) - FIGHT!

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...medium=twitter

Granted, this is a Microsoft based test. However, given how Apple focuses on cosmetics over security and functionality (especially on Windows platforms) I would not be surprised if this was indeed true.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Coldplay
Courage

I'm sure if I post a link to an Apple-related site doing a test, it'll show Safari owns IE9...same as a MSoft site saying IE9 pwns Safari 5.
Also, I can't access the video above, no Silverlight at work, but I bet if that test was done on a Windows machine, then it's not surprising a result like this was found. Safari/iTunes for Windows have always SUCKED (at least S5 looks like it's part of Windows now...lol)

On that note, I wouldn't even use IE if you paid me to, I still remember IE6 as if it were yesterday.

Safari 5 has a lot of changes under the hood, kind of like Snow Leopard did. I don't see many cosmetic changes other than the reader mode and a few other tweaks, seems to be a performance-based update whereas IE 9 seems to be leaning towards a complete overhaul (and for good reasons). We'll see if it finally doesn't suck (at least imo, I may be biased as there are few things I hate in this world as much as IE, dating back to the early days - any time there was ever an alternative, I always jumped all over it )

Last edited by Coldplay: 06-08-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:15 AM
guinness
those were the days

A better title: two insignificant browsers, shoot it out.

Interesting enough (or not), the latest Opera alpha (10.60) does MS' demos better than IE9. Apple is still dickish though, even when trying to view their HTML5 demos on the Safari dev page (http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/), it blocks Opera, even when changing the UA.

guinness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Frankie Spankie

I don't know many people who use Apple so I can't say about Safari, but do people really care about IE? I actually still use IE8 for this site since it's buggy in Opera and I don't care for Firefox enough to download and install it. But the numbers don't really mean much to me. They're all fast enough that the differences are barely even noticeable, basically just bragging rights. I prefer Opera because of its many features that are incredibly convenient.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
I don't know many people who use Apple so I can't say about Safari, but do people really care about IE? I actually still use IE8 for this site since it's buggy in Opera and I don't care for Firefox enough to download and install it. But the numbers don't really mean much to me. They're all fast enough that the differences are barely even noticeable, basically just bragging rights. I prefer Opera because of its many features that are incredibly convenient.
Get Chrome, load up awesome extensions and best of all, retain speed.

And on Mac, Safari is the boss. (currently using Chrome, may switch back to Safari if enough interesting extensions come out now) Not so much on Windows (you can thank Apple's crummy Windows programming team for that and iTunes...)

Old
06-09-2010, 11:34 AM
SilverSeven

Im a firefox man. Not a fan of Chrome or Opera. Dont even talk to me about IE or Safari.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:42 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

FF man here

I have Opera as well, for the built-in Torrent client

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Im a firefox man. Not a fan of Chrome or Opera. Dont even talk to me about IE or Safari.
I'm a fan of 3 of the 4 you don't like and not a fan of Firefox.

Chrome and Opera are pretty quick, Safari's quick and nice on Mac, sucks on Windows...and IE, well, LOL.

Switched to Chrome recently, really liking the superbar so far.

Old
06-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 895
Used Safari on my Macbook since the day I go it but switched to Chrome about a month ago.
Really like it so far.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote