Notices

Wild's Fletcher has his work cut out for him

Old
06-09-2010, 10:04 PM
State of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Let's be honest here. The real reason as to why Nick Schultz was playing on the bottom pairing is because his play to this new regime dictated as much. Go ahead and question the coaching staff if you wish. But Schultz was given a great opportunity to prove himself as a reliable option and just flat out didn't do it.
Look at what a minor change does.

Nick Schultz played very well from December on. Not only did he get no credit for it, he somehow got a fan revolt against him for little reason. The more people complained, the more I closely watched Schultz and was impressed with his game.

Meanwhile Zanon and Zidlicky went the other way and somehow Zanon is still praised like he's the savior of the team. Makes no sense.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:13 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I don't know. Call me crazy, but I'd be thrilled if the Oilers traded for Schultz ($3.5M cap hit and all). He'd be an excellent defense partner for Smid, and we need some defensemen who can kill a penalty.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't know. Call me crazy, but I'd be thrilled if the Oilers traded for Schultz ($3.5M cap hit and all). He'd be an excellent defense partner for Smid, and we need some defensemen who can kill a penalty.
Who/what would you give up?

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:34 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

If it were entirely up to me, I would find a way to trade Schultz to one of the many teams needing him for picks/prospects. The goal would be to ditch his salary to help our depth at all positions, rather than find a replacement for him. Phoenix for MacLean and a 2nd would make me happy.

Trade Burns for a 2nd line center. If Pittsburgh is really shopping Staal in order to fill the Gonchar gap, it's a great fit for a trade.

Bring back Johnsson (our best defenseman), and add Corvo. Johnsson already had his retirement contract and at (if i were to guess) 3 years/3.5 million a season, I bet he would come back. Corvo eats Burns' salary easily at 3.5 million for two years.

I'm not as high on Martin as a lot of folk. I think Corvo brings an element the Wild need more. Plus, he will be cheaper than Martin and at a 2 year contract, that will give our illustrious D prospects (sarcasm there) time to mature.

Johnsson - Corvo
Zanon - Zidlicky
Stoner - Barker - Scott (league min).

Then again, I would rather dump Kobasew than Miettinen. I feel that a Kobasew - Brodziak - Clutterbuck third line is a dangerous liability, but a Miettinen - Brodziak - Clutterbuck would be a much better checking/shut down line.

/shrug

Basically, I don't particularly think our blue line is anything special, currently.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:27 AM
mnwildgophers

It would be super hard for me to say no to a Burns for Staal trade, but I doubt they would want to trade for that, and I don't think that we need to trade Burns away, I think we should just keep him and see what happens.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:36 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I don't think Johnsson is coming back. He's a) old b) suffered a major concussion c) hasn't skated since near the trade and has hinted this'll be his last year.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 08:01 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I don't think Johnsson is coming back. He's a) old b) suffered a major concussion c) hasn't skated since near the trade and has hinted this'll be his last year.
And Fletcher tried to work out a deal with Johnsson before moving on to Zidlicky.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 09:17 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Look at what a minor change does.

Nick Schultz played very well from December on. Not only did he get no credit for it, he somehow got a fan revolt against him for little reason. The more people complained, the more I closely watched Schultz and was impressed with his game.

Meanwhile Zanon and Zidlicky went the other way and somehow Zanon is still praised like he's the savior of the team. Makes no sense.
QFT.

Wild fans complaining about Schultz and his contract are the same as Chicago fans complaining about Campbell and his contract, but Schultz's "error" is even less. Both players are overpaid, but both players fill valuable roles that can not be filled by other players currently on the the roster or near to NHL ready.

For Chicago, trading Campbell (if possible) is not the right step. Instead, they should dump their big contracts in the forward group, because they can actually replace those forwards.

Same with the Wild. If you want to dump contracts, you don't dump Schultz. At least not this year. Maybe in a season or two, if a guy like Cuma or Scandella is ready, but not right now. Makes no sense. Instead, dump the some in the forward group first and replace them with a UFA or two.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:32 AM
shleeban

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
QFT.

Wild fans complaining about Schultz and his contract are the same as Chicago fans complaining about Campbell and his contract, but Schultz's "error" is even less. Both players are overpaid, but both players fill valuable roles that can not be filled by other players currently on the the roster or near to NHL ready.

For Chicago, trading Campbell (if possible) is not the right step. Instead, they should dump their big contracts in the forward group, because they can actually replace those forwards.

Same with the Wild. If you want to dump contracts, you don't dump Schultz. At least not this year. Maybe in a season or two, if a guy like Cuma or Scandella is ready, but not right now. Makes no sense. Instead, dump the some in the forward group first and replace them with a UFA or two.
you are missing the point..... no one wants our forwards. so you move players with value, aka schultz and harding to get better at forward. there really isnt much more to talk about because after trading schultz we can get a dman for cheaper from ufa

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you want to improve and you're up against the cap, you have to make trades. He's one of the few players on the roster with value and no NTC.

The key is to look at it in terms of what value he's providing to us...he's a $3.5m third-pairing defenseman. The average rate for that kind of player is probably $1-1.5m MAX. Meanwhile we desperately need a second line center and top line winger, both of whom would be in the $4-5m range AT LEAST. I'd much rather see Schultz moved and use that cap space towards a top six forward.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 11:09 AM
mnwildgophers

What can we reasonably expect for a return for Schultz? Do we want to just trade him away for a 2nd round pick and a mid-tier prospect? Is he even worth that much? We'd most likely have to take salary back though.

Old
06-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Straight trade for a slightly underachieving top six forward with the same cap hit, or maybe a 2nd/3rd and/or middling prospect.

Breaking news from Russo, Bouchard to begin light workouts! Very good news IMO.

Old
06-10-2010, 11:26 AM
mnwildgophers

Well if Butch comes back, where do we expect him to play? No one he can play at C, and we don't want to be paying him 4.08M to be on the 3rd line. However, a line of Bruno-Koivu-Butch probably wouldn't work...

In Russo's last couple of blogs, he's been saying that the Wild are dangling Harding out there and I heard him on the radio too saying that the Wild are going to push hard to trade Harding. I think it's going to happen at the draft. Harding will be gone.

Old
06-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

If Butch gets back into his old form do you think he would fit with Lats and Havlat? Ebbett is a speedster, pass first type of guy and he seemed to work at certain times. I bet it would work, though I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't mesh with Havlat very well. He could need another Rolston to fire some canons..

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 11:57 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Todd Richards will put him at center between Havlat and Latendresse.

Hey, we host the 2011 draft. I think that's the best way to get to the podium first at the X!

Old
06-10-2010, 12:00 PM
mnwildgophers

Hopefully, I'll be able to go to the draft and see what it's like. I wonder how we get tickets for it?

Butch historically hasn't been a good centerman in the NHL in terms of FO% and has he even played it in the NHL for that many games? I mean not playing for almost 2 years will be tough to just jump back into the NHL.

Old
06-10-2010, 12:03 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Todd Richards will put him at center between Havlat and Latendresse.

Hey, we host the 2011 draft. I think that's the best way to get to the podium first at the X!
I'm going with saving Chris Simon from the depths of Siberia and giving him that spot.
EDIT: On second thought, that might be changed to giving Matt Johnson the "C" once again.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?

Last edited by GopherState: 06-10-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Another Sad Moment In Wild History
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bouchard hasn't played center since 2003-04 basically, but he was supposed to be given a crack at the second line center spot. No harm in having him try. And if he gets healthy, maybe we can trade him this season. Always better for him to be healthy than to sit on LTIR for the next three years.

Old
06-10-2010, 12:09 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Butch as a center has failure written all over it. Not to mention a Lats - Butch - Havlat line would murder the Wild defensively.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:16 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

For a coach that can't seem to grasp the simple point of putting a scoring line out on the ice against a 4th line that just iced the puck...

Bouchard at center between Lats and Havlat makes a lot of sense!

Old
06-10-2010, 12:19 PM
mnwildgophers

The way it is set up now is if the cap stays the same we have about $10M in cap space, however, it looks like the cap is going up about $2M, so that brings us up to $12M in cap space.

Our RFA's that most likely will be in the NHL are James Sheppard (lol), Josh Harding, and Guillaume Latendresse. Our other RFA's will probably get QO's and be retained as they most of them played in the AHL or overseas so they won't really matter for our cap hit.

James Sheppard QO would be under $1M, and Harding would probably get a minor raise to let's just say $1.5M? Latendresse is due for the biggest raise, but I see us just giving him a 1 year deal at $2.5M. Let's just go with that for now. So that's $5M off the cap, so we're down to about $7M with 20 players signed.

Depth chart:
Brunette-Koivu-Miettinen
Latendresse-Butch?-Havlat
Clutterbuck-Brodziak-Kobasew
Wellman-Sheppard-Almond (Just throwing this out there, doubt this would be a good 4th line)

Burns-Barker
Zidlicky-Zanon
Stoner-Schultz

Backstrom
Harding

So it would be plausible to somehow sign someone for about $4M a season, but if we send out Harding and Schultz, that's an extra $5M to work with. So that's back up to $12M to fill up about 3 more NHL spots.

It looks like we will have more options than I originally thought. That's uplifting at least. The Hawks will need to clear out cap space so maybe we pry a player from them, or we move Harding as part of a bigger package to get a center, but I wouldn't be mad if we just stood pat (if a good deal isn't available) and had a good draft. Either way, this summer is huge for which way we want to go for the next couple of years.

Old
06-10-2010, 12:45 PM
nickschultzfan

If Bouchard is not on the cap, we trade Miettinen and Harding, replacing them with a cheap 4th liner and back-up goalie, and put Wellman and Sheppard in the AHL, we will have about 12.5 million to spend on two roster forwards (after setting aside at least 0.75 million in cap space needed for roster call-up flexibility).

That's a ton of cap space.

That's enough to land a big fish. Or two.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's pretty close to what I have.

I do think they'll qualify Sheppard at $935k, give Lats a 2-year deal at $3m per year, and give Harding $1.3m (don't think he qualifies for a bigger raise due to injury).

Brunette - Koivu - Miettinen
Latendresse - Bouchard - Havlat
Clutterbuck - Brodziak - Kobasew
______ - Wellman/Sheppard - ______

Insert a couple 4th line scrubs there, could be Earl, whoever. I think they keep Almond in Houston next year to give him more ice time. I'm assuming with Sheppard they'll try and modify his offseason workouts because he needs to get stronger and faster, and hope he finally gets it. I also think they give Bouchard a shot at that 2nd line center because why the hell not?

On defense, I have:

Burns - Barker
Zanon - Zidlicky
Stoner - Schultz

I do think Cuma, Scandella, and Prosser all have a shot to make the team, but more likely we'll get a free agent to fill in so they can get more ice time down in Houston and develop. They could be called up, but hopefully we won't be wasting their year in the press box.

Anyways, with all that, there's $7.6m in cap space to go after a defenseman and two more forwards. Since there's little in the free agent sector, I could see us going after a trade with Chicago or another team against the cap.

Very long story short, I don't see us starting the year with a drastically different roster than last. More likely I think we'll see Bouchard and Sheppard given the chance to prove it for the last time, like last year should have been. I see Wellman getting plenty of chances at center and wing and not starting in Houston, but only being sent there if he strikes out.

By the deadline, I could certainly see us moving any of Schultz, Bouchard, Miettinen, Kobasew, Harding, and possibly even Burns. It depends on how they fit into Fletcher's vision for the team and how they and the team are doing.

Old
06-10-2010, 12:55 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Jarick, that line up pretty much guarantees a high draft pick.

Old
06-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm fully aware of that, and it sucks, but what can you do. Unless we nab Plekanec or Marleau, there's no other forward worth getting really. And we have too much cap space dedicated to defense unless we move Schultz, not that there's much out there anyway.