HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitch and the Fonz exchange pleasantries

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2004, 02:58 PM
CarlRacki

vCash: 500
Hitch and the Fonz exchange pleasantries

Regarding Fonzie's comments about it not bothering them, methinks he doth protest too much.

{Lightning-Flyers rivalry gets heated}
{By ROB MAADDI}=
{AP Sports Writer}=
VOORHEES, N.J. (AP) — The Tampa Bay Lightning won’t let the Philadelphia Flyers push them around — or verbally abuse them.
The bad blood between the Eastern Conference finals opponents intensified Wednesday, with Lightning coach John Tortorella delivering a stern message to Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock: “Shut your yap.”
The series, tied at 1, resumes Thursday night in Philadelphia, where the Flyers are 6-0 in the playoffs. The Lightning are 4-0 on the road this postseason.
Philadelphia’s 6-2 victory Monday night turned ugly in the third period, with the teams combining for 25 penalties totaling 118 minutes, including a few fights. The physical play didn’t bother either coach. Tortorella, however, took exception because he said Hitchcock had words with some Lightning players.
“Last time I looked, he’s wearing a suit back there, the same type of suit I’m wearing,” Tortorella said. “He’s not in the battle. There are two quality teams here. He should shut his yap. It’s not about him. It’s about two quality teams.
“We understand how Philly works as far as the dialogue that goes on with all this stuff here, but when it comes to a coach to an opposing player, it’s disrespectful and it’s wrong. That’s got to stop. Park your ego. Shove it in your pocket.”
Told of Tortorella’s comments, Hitchcock kept his simple.
“Tell him to mind his own business,” Hitchcock said.
Hitchcock had plenty to say after Game 2 because he was angry that constant replays of Donald Brashear’s hit on Lightning forward Tim Taylor — which didn’t result in a penalty — were shown on the arena’s video screen.
Hitchcock said the replays were used to incite the crowd, and the NHL later reprimanded the in-game crew for violating league policy.
“We knew going into this series Bobby Clarke, the general manager, was going to be working as hard as he can behind the scenes as far as whining about this, that, the other thing,” Tortorella said. “We know Hitch is going to be talking about anything that’s on his mind and will talk to anybody who’ll listen to him. We accept that. It’s something that can’t bother us and it won’t bother us. It won’t hurt us in our preparation.”
Tortorella and the Lightning have more to worry about on the ice now that the Flyers have won a game. Tampa Bay had won eight straight against Philadelphia, including all four meetings in the regular season.
The Flyers outplayed the Lightning in a 3-1 series-opening loss, then dominated Game 2. They sent goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin, who came in with a 1.00 goals-against average, to the bench with four goals on their first 12 shots, and never let up.
“The good thing is, no matter what the score is, we only lost one game,” Khabibulin said. “We’ve got to stay positive. It wasn’t our best game and everybody realizes that. We’ll have to play better next game.”
The Flyers are hoping to build on their latest lopsided victory just as they did against Toronto in the conference semifinals. Philadelphia won Game 5 against the Maple Leafs 7-2, then closed them out with a 3-2 overtime victory in Toronto.
“We need to move onward and upward,” Flyers captain Keith Primeau said. “It’s a similar situation to the Toronto series. We’re going to be ready. We’ll build on the confidence we’ve created here.”
The Flyers have been successful because Hitchcock altered his game plan for this series. Instead of playing a conservative defensive style, the Flyers are taking risks on offense, creating more odd-man rushes that lead to better scoring opportunities.
Also, Philadelphia has been the faster team against Tampa Bay, which has several speedy forwards.
“We’ve got the best adjustment maker in Hitch and he’s done that for us not only every series, but within series, within periods,” Primeau said. “We just follow his lead.”

Old
05-12-2004, 03:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Oh i thought this would be about Hitchcock and Henry Winkler meeting or something

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Teezax

Hitch's plan seems to have worked, he ticked off the opposing coach.

Old
05-12-2004, 03:25 PM
iceman42

Tort doesnt seem to understand how the game is played.

Where was this link at, I missed this tidbit.

Old
05-12-2004, 03:33 PM
exterminator-x

Fonz is the nickname that many of us Bolt fans have for John Tortorella. Check out the Bolt glossary here which contains this and other Bolt euphemisms.

Tampa Tribune story here and link to the video of the interview with Fonzie here.

Old
05-12-2004, 05:08 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Tortorella's obviously just trying to distract the media attention from the egg the Lightning layed in Game 2.

Old
05-12-2004, 05:09 PM
iceman42

How does he look after the NHL agreed with Hitch? :lol

Old
05-12-2004, 05:37 PM
donelikedinner

the bolts would have a better chance with the real fonz

Old
05-12-2004, 05:40 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
boy, it didn't take lonf to mind F this team did it?

Old
05-12-2004, 06:24 PM
mcphee

I find it interesting how Tort. refers to Hitch's ego. I suppose everyone noticed how he strategically gets very expressive when he notices that the camera is on him. He's trying to position himself as the good guy taking the high road.

Old
05-12-2004, 06:27 PM
iceman42

Hitch just said: "If he's not in the battle, then get off the bench and pay $20 for a ticket."

Old
05-12-2004, 06:33 PM
BLONG7

A crack in the armour of Sir fonzie???? He just lost it!!! Then in a cool calm manner as Mr.C would of done... Hitch says... he should just mind his own business(ala Clint Eastwood)

Old
05-12-2004, 06:48 PM
iceman42

He was kinda losing it on the bench if I remember correctly.

Old
05-12-2004, 08:07 PM
iceman42

I finally got to see the video. What did Hitch say to start this, as far as I know all he was talking about was the hit being replayed and replayed.

Listened to Hitches reply and apparently he doesnt know. :lol
http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...51204-hitch.rm

I agree with him that stuff goes on in all sports, all the time, and usually in a blowout. Football especially, coaches talking to players on the field, razing them. For finally tackling someone 15 yards down field, after the guy gets up and pulls one of these

Last edited by iceman42: 05-12-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old
05-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Rex88

I do not recall any moaning by BC in any of the series thus far. Am I wrong on that?
No one really complained in the Devs series and Quinn>Hitch at various times in the TO series.

Interesting how livid Tort got there and for what seems very minor stuff.

Side note:
Hitch is only coach left in playoffs not in the running for the Jack Adams

Old
05-12-2004, 09:02 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
Side note:
Hitch is only coach left in playoffs not in the running for the Jack Adams
Must be a good omen!

Old
05-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman42
How does he look after the NHL agreed with Hitch? :lol

His comments came after they were reprimanded genius :lol

Old
05-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Dave Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC
His comments came after they were reprimanded genius :lol
Tort's comments were about Hitch talking to the players on the ice, not about the replay. So you're both wrong.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:48 AM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carlson
Tort's comments were about Hitch talking to the players on the ice, not about the replay. So you're both wrong.
On the bench, actually. *Zoidberg scuttle*

Old
05-13-2004, 01:06 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carlson
"Hitchcock had plenty to say after Game 2 because he was angry that constant replays of Donald Brashear’s hit on Lightning forward Tim Taylor — which didn’t result in a penalty — were shown on the arena’s video screen.
Hitchcock said the replays were used to incite the crowd, and the NHL later reprimanded the in-game crew for violating league policy.

'We knew going into this series Bobby Clarke, the general manager, was going to be working as hard as he can behind the scenes as far as whining about this, that, the other thing,” Tortorella said. “We know Hitch is going to be talking about anything that’s on his mind and will talk to anybody who’ll listen to him. We accept that. It’s something that can’t bother us and it won’t bother us. It won’t hurt us in our preparation.'”

...this was in regards to the jumbo-tron crew showing Brashears violent hit on Taylor. Not yelling to players by Hitchcock.

"Last time I looked, he’s wearing a suit back there, the same type of suit I’m wearing,” Tortorella said. “He’s not in the battle. There are two quality teams here. He should shut his yap. It’s not about him. It’s about two quality teams.
“We understand how Philly works as far as the dialogue that goes on with all this stuff here, but when it comes to a coach to an opposing player, it’s disrespectful and it’s wrong. That’s got to stop. Park your ego. Shove it in your pocket.”

Back to only one of us being wrong...

Old
05-13-2004, 01:07 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Hitch talked to the TB players, and Torts whined to the refs that Brashear was not givin a penalty during the scrum, so of course the refs send Brashear to the box, but i digress, i say everyone shut the hell up and let the players play the game, everyone being both head coaches. but thats just my worthless opinion

Old
05-13-2004, 06:33 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Hitch's plan seems to have worked, he ticked off the opposing coach.
Yes, yes he did with a gutless classless act.. Ken Hitchcock couldn't like a stamp what the **** is he doing challenging players on the ice. He knows danm well no player would ever take him up on his threats.. so he makes them thinkng he looks tough.
- pissed because the replay hit fired up the lightning ..get over it ...except for people in Philly that fat lady singning makes the rest of the world sick....

- Hitchcokc..errr.. the whinny undertaker needs to take his dog and pony show to the WWF where these kind of antics get respect.

- As for Torterlla this guy always is honest and he speaks his mind with his players and the media. He is a refreshing change to the ******** whinning of people like Fat Quin or Lying Burke who try and shift the focus from the wonderful game of hockey to the other game callled news confernece ego rant...

If Hitchcock is so tough why did he tell tortarella to mind his business. I would think one coach calling out anothers players is the businesss of said coach

Old
05-13-2004, 06:44 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by south end super star
Yes, yes he did with a gutless classless act.. Ken Hitchcock couldn't like a stamp what the **** is he doing challenging players on the ice. He knows danm well no player would ever take him up on his threats.. so he makes them thinkng he looks tough.
- pissed because the replay hit fired up the lightning ..get over it ...except for people in Philly that fat lady singning makes the rest of the world sick....

- Hitchcokc..errr.. the whinny undertaker needs to take his dog and pony show to the WWF where these kind of antics get respect.

- As for Torterlla this guy always is honest and he speaks his mind with his players and the media. He is a refreshing change to the ******** whinning of people like Fat Quin or Lying Burke who try and shift the focus from the wonderful game of hockey to the other game callled news confernece ego rant...

If Hitchcock is so tough why did he tell tortarella to mind his business. I would think one coach calling out anothers players is the businesss of said coach
Do you have any idea what you are talking about? That replay being replayed (sounds weird) was just use to get the crowd angry which is completely pointless. Hitchcock whinny undertaker? Who was the one who was crying to the media in the first place? Torts always speaks his mind? If that is so, I wish that he'd keep his mouth shut more.

Old
05-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Banger

His comments have nothing to do with Hitch or Clarke. I absolutely think this is a motivational tactic by Tort because he knows this is the game for his team. This game they need to be competitive. He knows the flyers are 6-0 at home, score first and play very solid. He knows that if his team comes out flat again it could change/end the series.

Just as everyone has said the entire series, TB has not had to deal with adversity in the playoffs. Well, they got blown out and outplayed in every facet of the game for the first time in the playoffs and now they are going on the road to a hostile environment where the opponent hasn't lost. This is the definition of adversity, he just wants to make sure his guys are fired up and ready.

It's pretty pathetic though if something like this would get his team fired up. But whatever works I guess. I would love to see his next trick if the flyers blow them out again tonight. I don't expect it but would love to see it.

Old
05-13-2004, 07:31 AM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC
"Hitchcock had plenty to say after Game 2 because he was angry that constant replays of Donald Brashear’s hit on Lightning forward Tim Taylor — which didn’t result in a penalty — were shown on the arena’s video screen.

'We knew going into this series Bobby Clarke, the general manager, was going to be working as hard as he can behind the scenes as far as whining about this, that, the other thing,” Tortorella said. “We know Hitch is going to be talking about anything that’s on his mind and will talk to anybody who’ll listen to him. We accept that. It’s something that can’t bother us and it won’t bother us. It won’t hurt us in our preparation.'”

...this was in regards to the jumbo-tron crew showing Brashears violent hit on Taylor. Not yelling to players by Hitchcock.

"Last time I looked, he’s wearing a suit back there, the same type of suit I’m wearing,” Tortorella said. “He’s not in the battle. There are two quality teams here. He should shut his yap. It’s not about him. It’s about two quality teams.

Back to only one of us being wrong...
slow down there skippy, don't let the tortilla salesman behind the TB bench fool you so easily. there are only 2 reasons for tort's breakdown yesterday: 1. try to take pressure of the players and 2. hitch is working his mojo in tort's brain.

tort's is a good coach, but he's in a place where everything is new and the lessons come hard. there's an old hockey line that goes "you gotta lose to know how to win", and i'm betting tort's is feeling the squeeze of that reality.

Closed Thread