HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IV

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2010, 04:51 PM
tantrum4*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Hey, you don't need to convince me. I'm (almost) all in for Kovalchuk. The almost being an acceptable cap hit, which I put at 8 mill (on a contract less than 5 years..... ~7 on a contract longer than 5 years)
Ya I know you've been on board for a great signing all along. I just eventually get tired of a lot of keyboard GM's trying to "save" the team by not wanting to spend any money. The point of the NHL is to win the Cup, not to see who can have the most cap space each year..

Old
06-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Ya I know you've been on board for a great signing all along. I just eventually get tired of a lot of keyboard GM's trying to "save" the team by not wanting to spend any money. The point of the NHL is to win the Cup, not to see who can have the most cap space each year..
Well CAP space is a legitimate concern and kinda like there is no wrong way to eat a Reeses Peanutbutter Cup, there is no perfect way to build a winning team.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:08 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Well CAP space is a legitimate concern and kinda like there is no wrong way to eat a Reeses Peanutbutter Cup, there is no perfect way to build a winning team.
Yes I understand it's a concern but not as much as some people make it out to be. Lombardi and his boys know what they're doing, just like every other GM in the league. They'll make it work if they can, if they can't, they won't. So if they sign player X to a deal worth 7, 8 or 9 million per year, I know that they thought long and hard about how it will or will not affect (effect? never was any good with that one) the team in the future, and I won't be worried about it one bit. Obviously if that player gets hurt or turns into Johnathan Cheechoo or Radek Bonk, we're screwed. But no one can predict the future and you can't win in life if you don't take chances.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:11 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I am sure Chicago was concerned too. Even if they have to trade Kane, Toews, and Keith, I would still like to feel what their fans are feeling.

They knew they were in trouble when they signed Hossa. They did it anyway and got a good result.

Now they can flip Sharp and re-stock their talent pool with prospects and picks.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:15 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Yes I understand it's a concern but not as much as some people make it out to be. Lombardi and his boys know what they're doing, just like every other GM in the league. They'll make it work if they can, if they can't, they won't. So if they sign player X to a deal worth 7, 8 or 9 million per year, I know that they thought long and hard about how it will or will not affect (effect? never was any good with that one) the team in the future, and I won't be worried about it one bit.
So if he isn't signed will you still be happy, knowing that Lombardi and his boys knows what they're doing and that they've thought long and hard how it will affect the team in the future?

Old
06-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Yes I understand it's a concern but not as much as some people make it out to be. Lombardi and his boys know what they're doing, just like every other GM in the league. They'll make it work if they can, if they can't, they won't. So if they sign player X to a deal worth 7, 8 or 9 million per year, I know that they thought long and hard about how it will or will not affect (effect? never was any good with that one) the team in the future, and I won't be worried about it one bit. Obviously if that player gets hurt or turns into Johnathan Cheechoo or Radek Bonk, we're screwed. But no one can predict the future and you can't win in life if you don't take chances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
I am sure Chicago was concerned too. Even if they have to trade Kane, Toews, and Keith, I would still like to feel what their fans are feeling.

They knew they were in trouble when they signed Hossa. They did it anyway and got a good result.

Now they can flip Sharp and re-stock their talent pool with prospects and picks.
Hey guys.. I don't disagree with you be my point is Kovalchuk, or Marleau for that matter, isn't the be all end all.

I've already said and I'll say it again, I'll be happy as long as the team is improved going into the fall. I'll trust DL will do what is best for the team, his job very likely DOES depend on it

Old
06-15-2010, 05:27 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
So if he isn't signed will you still be happy, knowing that Lombardi and his boys knows what they're doing and that they've thought long and hard how it will affect the team in the future?
Niiiiice one.

I mostly agree. If Dean doesn't get Kovy, I will assume (until I hear his actual words on the subject, combined with what he does INSTEAD of Kovy, as well as where Kovy ends up and for how much), that he is doing what is ultimately best for the team, which pending circumstances, may not be signing Kovalchuk (those circumstances ONLY regard money, far as I'm concerned).

However one thing I will not accept is Dean doing nothing to improve the forward corp. There is absolutely zero excuse in my eyes for not adding SOMETHING in the form of a top-six winger.

While I do generally believe Dean knows best, he does have something of a reputation for chickening out when push comes to shove. The conservative approach is a good one... in a rebuild... once you are out of the rebuild, you have to take some chances. I don't think anyone has EVER won a cup without making a gamble or two.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:33 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Gretzky and '93 PROVES nothing.

It equally insinuates both of your points, but only with a biased eye.
I agree. All of those other seasons kind of does though.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:42 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I agree. All of those other seasons kind of does though.
Yeah... it does.... that bad management gets you nowhere.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:53 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Yeah... it does.... that bad management gets you nowhere.
I guess Gretz wasn't on any of those teams. All I am trying to say that having one superstar on doesn't equal playoff success, which is exactly what tantrum was saying.

I am happy to have Kovalchuk with a cap hit that "fits". I'll trust Dean to determine what "fits" and what doesn't. If it's way over $7M, I will bet money that it will have been more a Leiweke's decision than Dean's.

Old
06-15-2010, 06:11 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I guess Gretz wasn't on any of those teams. All I am trying to say that having one superstar on doesn't equal playoff success, which is exactly what tantrum was saying.

I am happy to have Kovalchuk with a cap hit that "fits". I'll trust Dean to determine what "fits" and what doesn't. If it's way over $7M, I will bet money that it will have been more a Leiweke's decision than Dean's.
While that's likely, you certainly can't rule out that Dean would give Kovy what may seem like "a Leiweke amount" of money because:

A) He knows he can get DD signed at a price that fits with a huge contract for Kovy

and/or

B) He believes enough in our prospects to fill out the bottom 6 and the defense

I know logic and history would say that DL already knows his number for Kovy, the most he is willing to pay.

However, so much of it depends on Doughty, as DL has specifically admitted. Se he probably has several numbers for Kovy.

-A 'I don't know what Doughty will sign for' number
-A 'DD will sign for ~5 number'
-A 'DD will sign for over 6 number'
-A 'DD is going to eat up all our space number'

Old
06-15-2010, 06:39 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Nope, I said I would be disappointed if we don't get someone good. Not necessarily in DL, just the overall fact that once again on July 1st, we will have nothing to get excited about until the start of the season.

Old
06-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Hipfan

Quote:

Don't bank on Kovalchuk - the rumour is that he's been offered either 40 or 42 million over 3 years to play in the KHL.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...When:10:39:05Z

Old
06-15-2010, 06:47 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:

My beef with you wasn't about you saying superstars don't equal playoff success because as we all know, no one player can win a Cup. My problem was with this statment you made: "so I would be happy to let you wait another 50 years for a superstar to come to LA from another team". It just doesn't make sense to me why anyone would say that. And like I said before, NOT having a superstar has equalled zero playoff sucess for the Kings, that's a fact. So why not try something different? It can't be any worse...

Old
06-15-2010, 06:49 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipfan View Post
Don't bank on Kovalchuk - the rumour is that he's been offered either 40 or 42 million over 3 years to play in the KHL.

I don't believe the KHL rumours for a second...

Old
06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I believe that they are offering, but I don't believe he will leave. If he doesn't like the Canadian hype of hockey players in the NHL then there is no way he will like being the #1 hockey player in Russia and become pseudo/reverse Beckham. His family is settled in the States, winning is very important to him, and he will be looking to go to a competitor for the money closest to what he is worth.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
I don't believe the KHL rumours for a second...
I agree. Believe it when I see it.

Old
06-15-2010, 06:55 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipfan View Post

thats old news. It comes down to Kovy himself. He is either gonna choose to take less money and stay in the NHL for a chance to win the Cup or he's gonna go to the motherland and make even more money for a chance to win the Gagarin Cup. Its up to him.

Old
06-15-2010, 07:09 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I believe that they are offering, but I don't believe he will leave. If he doesn't like the Canadian hype of hockey players in the NHL then there is no way he will like being the #1 hockey player in Russia and become pseudo/reverse Beckham. His family is settled in the States, winning is very important to him, and he will be looking to go to a competitor for the money closest to what he is worth.
Yea I just think if the money is so great over there and they're offering everone all this money, why hasn't Ovechkin left? Why did Backstrom just re-sign with Washington? Why is Hudler coming back to Detroit after only one year over there?

Old
06-15-2010, 07:14 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Yea I just think if the money is so great over there and they're offering everone all this money, why hasn't Ovechkin left? Why did Backstrom just re-sign with Washington? Why is Hudler coming back to Detroit after only one year over there?
Backstrom is Swedish.

Old
06-15-2010, 07:19 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Backstrom is Swedish.
So what? Are only Russians allowed to play in that league? If they are offering Kovy $10 million per season, why didn't they go after Backstrom for $12 million per season? Are they not paying Federov $15 million? Surely if the wonderful KHL has endless money, they would take a shot at one of the best players in the NHL when he became an RFA...

Old
06-15-2010, 07:20 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Nice recovery...

Old
06-15-2010, 07:24 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
So what? Are only Russians allowed to play in that league? If they are offering Kovy $10 million per season, why didn't they go after Backstrom for $12 million per season? Are they not paying Federov $15 million? Surely if the wonderful KHL has endless money, they would take a shot at one of the best players in the NHL when he became an RFA...
But why would a Swede have interest in playing in the KHL? The SEL maybe.

Old
06-15-2010, 07:42 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
But why would a Swede have interest in playing in the KHL? The SEL maybe.
Same reason Czech players like Jagr do. Because of the money, and money only. I'm just saying that I really think the KHL likes to hype itself by leaking these reports to the media of all these huge contracts they're offering. If they want to be the best league in the world, shouldn't they be trying to attract the best players in the world and not just Russians? And they're not even doing a very good job at that...

Old
06-15-2010, 07:57 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
You're assuming that ALL nhl players top priority is money. I highly doubt it. Many players want to compete in the best league in the world, that being the nhl. I doubt too many nhl players (if any) in their prime have interest in playing in any other league than the nhl. And that is why, I don't believe the Kovy to the khl hype. That's just nonsense to me.

KHL is more fitting for the misfits with hyped up potentials and the once superstar has-beens, not the likes of Kovy.

Closed Thread