HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Traveling with hockey gear

Old
06-06-2010, 01:03 PM
vinogradov8

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
Traveling with hockey gear

Ok, im seriously considering flying to california with all my hockey gear and taking it on the plane. The weight is not important its the size that im having problems with. For example, hockey sticks, how am I going to take those on a plane? The allowed max for baggage is 62 inches if you add the width + height + depth. But they might be pretty cheap to ship, not sure. Another thing is that my hockey equipment is pretty light, but the hockey bag I bought is http://www.hockeygiant.com/baurecbagsr.html which also doesnt fit the dimensions, but I always have a good amount of space left, so if I pick it up and shake it all down to one end, then tape the flabby part down with duct tape, would that work? And how much would shipping of my sticks cost? I know some of you have probably traveled like this before so I need your help. Thanks!

Sorry for starting so many threads.

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:34 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinogradov8 View Post
Ok, im seriously considering flying to california with all my hockey gear and taking it on the plane. The weight is not important its the size that im having problems with. For example, hockey sticks, how am I going to take those on a plane? The allowed max for baggage is 62 inches if you add the width + height + depth. But they might be pretty cheap to ship, not sure. Another thing is that my hockey equipment is pretty light, but the hockey bag I bought is http://www.hockeygiant.com/baurecbagsr.html which also doesnt fit the dimensions, but I always have a good amount of space left, so if I pick it up and shake it all down to one end, then tape the flabby part down with duct tape, would that work? And how much would shipping of my sticks cost? I know some of you have probably traveled like this before so I need your help. Thanks!

Sorry for starting so many threads.
People fly with fishing rods in cases all the time, and canadian kids playing tournaments in Europe fly with hockey bags and sticks, and vice-versah.

Call the airline and ask what the standard for flying with hockey equipment is

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:38 PM
elriz

sports gear, like hockey equipment, gets an free travel exemption from most airlines. call ahead or read the specific airlines website.

your gear bag will need to be free of holes, and have nothing but your hockey gear in it. it will also still need to be under the airlines weight limit. your sticks will need to be taped together.

elriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:43 PM
vinogradov8

The problem is I need to take clothes too, so that might be a problem also.

Old
06-06-2010, 02:32 PM
IniNew

Hockey bags are considered under special circumstances, and as long as it meets the requirements for sports equipment in size and weight will not count against your checked baggage.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Dupes

I flew several times with my gear, you might have to pay extra fees if you have 3 "luggage" (suitcase, bag and sticks), but most of the time they let it slide and you wont pay extra.

Dupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:27 AM
madmutter
Oilyness

vCash: 50
Sports equipment is usually exempt from being considered oversized but still counts as a piece of checked luggage. You may have to tell them about it when booking your ticket to avoid paying extra though.

madmutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:31 AM
meanolthing

When my sister flew to Green Bay she had a hockey bag, clothes bag, and a stick bag. If I recall correctly, the airline charged her for all 3, but they taped the stick and gear bags together so they counted as one. Gotta love these nickle and dime setups. You might want to have the gear shipped out, check with a UPS Store in your area and see what they'd charge. You might be able to save some money plus you'll be able to track your stuff instead of risking the airline losing it.

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:46 PM
shoeshine boy

does Southwest fly out of your airport? if so try to fly with them as they don't charge baggage fees. if you can get someone with a Delta Gold Amex card to make your reservation you get one bag for free. tape your sticks to the bag to make one "bag". you can easily carry on your clothes bag.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Buy a stick carrying bag, and put your sticks in there (taped together for strength). It may count as a checked bag however.

The website of your airline will probably have a policy detailing sports bags, I know Continental does.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
StrangeVision

Call the airline.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:58 PM
vinogradov8

Well, im going to ship the sticks, and pack my equipment really tight into a big bag and hope it works haha.

Old
06-07-2010, 04:47 PM
TinofGrizz

I always fly northwest but it seems like it differs from airport airport what I actually end up getting charged. I remember coming back from FL one desk clerk let me tape my stick bag to my equipment bag and only charged me for 1. I've been charged as little as 25 and as much as 55, some clerks count it as 2 and some count it as one. Also I have always put my regular duffel bag full of clothes in my hockey bag and have never had a issue with it.

Just take all your stuff to the airport with an extra $50 for each way and you should be fine.

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:52 AM
shoeshine boy

you're not trying to carry on are you? some airports (airports not airlines) won't allow you to take skate blades on board. you'd think that would be uniform across the TSA but apparently it's not.....you might call your local airport and check.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:56 PM
meanolthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
you're not trying to carry on are you? some airports (airports not airlines) won't allow you to take skate blades on board. you'd think that would be uniform across the TSA but apparently it's not.....you might call your local airport and check.
Wow, I hadn't even considered that, good call. I'd hate to have my gear confiscated .

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:49 PM
ThreeStars

Definitely check with the airline.

Some airlines will allow you to take equipment bag + stick bag as one item of checked baggage.

ThreeStars is offline   Reply With Quote