Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest Bruins Scapegoats

Old
06-09-2010, 05:40 AM
drfell

vCash: 500
Biggest Bruins Scapegoats

All sports fans tend to scapegoat certain players (or coaches and management) on their favorite team. Bruins fans are certainly no exception.

In your opinion, who have been or are the biggest scapegoats in Bruins' history? Guys who got targeted fairly or unfairly for failing in key sitations or for real or perceived shortcomings.

If you want, you can also give your opinion on whether or not the scapegoating was fair.

Just two words to get the ball rolling: Hal Gill

drfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Salem13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfell View Post
All sports fans tend to scapegoat certain players (or coaches and management) on their favorite team. Bruins fans are certainly no exception.

In your opinion, who have been or are the biggest scapegoats in Bruins' history? Guys who got targeted fairly or unfairly for failing in key sitations or for real or perceived shortcomings.

If you want, you can also give your opinion on whether or not the scapegoating was fair.

Just two words to get the ball rolling: Hal Gill
I see your Hall Gill and raise you a Bob Sweeney.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Salem13

Ohh and Glen Wesely!

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:18 AM
ap3lovr

Hal Gill does really come to mind. However at the time I think his game was quite poor, he has come into his own under good coaching. I really happy for him that he has found his game.

The biggest and most deserved scape goat ever on this team is Zhamnov. That guy was so useless. 1 goal... 1. That was it for a 4 million dollar player out of the lockout. He's the sole reason we got rid of Jumbo Joe and ended up drafting Phil Kessel. Had he played like he was expected to. I honestly think Thornton would still be a Bruin. MOC would still be the GM of this team, and we likely wouldn't be as good as we are today.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:26 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Joe Thornton

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:28 AM
njbruin

Jason York

njbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Hal Gill was terrible, bad decisions with the puck, dumb penalties.The scapegoating was more than fair.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:40 AM
mtsurette

Joe Thornton. I've gone into detail in previous posts on why I think he's such a soft and heartless player. He deserves to be a scapegoat for the B's

mtsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Pie O My

All the names above are good examples of scapegoats but nothing compares to what I saw happen to Mike Millbury his last year. One game I remember he hopped over the boards and was roundly booed (as usual) and then Taz called him back to the bench and as he skated back there was a very loud and prolonged mock cheer.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Gill was definitely 1 of them but must admit has turned into a decent player now

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:36 AM
bigbadbruins1

MOC!!!
Worst.bruins.GM.ever.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy

Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Gill was definitely 1 of them but must admit has turned into a decent player now
He was always a decent player. He just needed to overcome the expectations due to his size. There's no way you can do that in Boston.

My favorite scapegoat was Steve Heinze. Couldn't skate or do much of anything, but I rooted for the guy.

Rancid McGoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:45 AM
bigbadbruins1

also.. glenn "muzz" murray... Blaine Laicher.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

Currently: Blake Wheeler, Dennis Wideman, Matt Hunwick

Ruzicka38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
I'm surprised by this.

Hal Gill is same player now that he always was. He's still sloppy with the puck. He still makes the boneheaded play. He still takes the inopportune penalties at the terrible times.

His strengths are the same as well.

This is the definition of Bruins fans' tendency to maintain a "grass is greener" mentality.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
I'm surprised by this.

Hal Gill is same player now that he always was. He's still sloppy with the puck. He still makes the boneheaded play. He still takes the inopportune penalties at the terrible times.

His strengths are the same as well.

This is the definition of Bruins fans' tendency to maintain a "grass is greener" mentality.
Well he never killed penalties the way he does now when he was in Boston.Agreed that he still can't make a pass in his zone and turns the puck over and over

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Well he never killed penalties the way he does now when he was in Boston.Agreed that he still can't make a pass in his zone and turns the puck over and over
I'm still going to have to disagree. He was one of the bright spots on the penalty kill here. A rock in front of the net. With his long reach, he vacuumed up rebounds... and with the rules as slack as they were, he manhandled anyone who wanted to skate it in.

I believe he was stretched thin here, because he was counted on to handle ridiculous amounts of ice time. But at what he did well (which wasn't everything by any means), he did REALLY well.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Duguay2

Quote:
I'm still going to have to disagree. He was one of the bright spots on the penalty kill here. A rock in front of the net. With his long reach, he vacuumed up rebounds... and with the rules as slack as they were, he manhandled anyone who wanted to skate it in.

I believe he was stretched thin here, because he was counted on to handle ridiculous amounts of ice time. But at what he did well (which wasn't everything by any means), he did REALLY well.
I agree. Hal was a good PK player in Boston. He frequently frustrated many A-players, especially Jagr. Left in his role, Hal was just fine in Boston. He fell victim to the Bruins-curse, assuming that big = tough, the same affliction that befell Joe Thornton.

I watched Gil lots in Ottawa and Montreal this year, and he's also very much improved.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Richard Murray
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Richard Murray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
I agree. Hal was a good PK player in Boston. He frequently frustrated many A-players, especially Jagr. Left in his role, Hal was just fine in Boston. He fell victim to the Bruins-curse, assuming that big = tough, the same affliction that befell Joe Thornton.

I watched Gil lots in Ottawa and Montreal this year, and he's also very much improved.
he was good when he played with Bourque... Once Bourque left it went all down hill...

Richard Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:46 AM
doc5hole

Quote:

He was actually a solidifying force on the blue line after the Thornton trade, a major factor in the calming of the defense that allowed the Bruins to sneak to within 2 points of the playoffs prior to the Olympic break. I gave him an A in my season-ending report card and got understandably skewered for it. I was probably generous, but I was really disappointed that one of the three or four things that went well for that chaotic team was made such a scapegoat. I think it comes down to fans just sick of him being so slow, he became a signature personality, emblematic of their frustration, and they could never sift out how well he actually played for Sully in 05-06. I was a critic, but more so of how the Bruins needed more of exactly what he wasn't, and they especially weren't getting it with top-four guys like O'Donnell and McGillis. But, after they were gone, Gill's contributions were more important, and he didn't let his game go down with the team's. Granted, the Kings and the Flames dumped to his corner and made him look bad, but shortly after the Thornton trade they had yet to reformulate. By the end of the season, though, Gill was a bright spot and got next to no credit for that. I don't blame him for getting out while the getting was good.

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Hal Gill was the only B's player I really was tough on.

I kind of feel bad now.

He was pretty much the worst player on the ice almost every game though. He would always screen the B's goalie and give the puck to the other team.

Hal seems to have improved and I am happy for him.

Muzz took far too much grief from this board. Unlike Hal fans at the game seemed to like Glen. I NEVER heard boos for Muzz. The other STH near me liked him. Yes his last year was rough ...but it was due to injury. I would like to see Glen as an assistant coach in the NHL. He was a leader on the B's.

Wides takes too much crap. It's silly.

06-09-2010, 11:13 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Martin Lapointe.

At least, he was the Biggest Bruins Scapegoat on the late and very lamented bb.com board

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Hal, Muzz,Wides, a little Timmy.. Tho I think Wides has become the Hal Gill, callers on 98.5 compare other players on Boston teams to Dennis Wideman when they have a bad game I am sure there are others but can't think of em

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:28 AM
ytownhockey10
tornado of souls

Don Cherry

ytownhockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:06 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid McGoiter View Post
He was always a decent player. He just needed to overcome the expectations due to his size. There's no way you can do that in Boston.

My favorite scapegoat was Steve Heinze. Couldn't skate or do much of anything, but I rooted for the guy.
I agree,the man was miscast here as a number 1 or 2 defenseman.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote