HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton '04-'05

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2004, 12:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Hamilton '04-'05

Now that I start to look over what the lineup might look like next year, I begin to see why Savard wants to add some players from the Hawks (assuming it's them)

In nets, they should be fine. Danis is under contract and there's an option on Damphousse. I can't see a Danis Michaud combo, and while I'd rather see Fichaud/Danis, I'm going to guess it will be Danis/Damphousse. I think they will be one of the strengths of the Dogs next year if Danis has a good year, if not they are in big trouble right away.

On defense is the big question mark. Out of Beauchemin, Hainsey, Traverse and Dykhuis, I'll assume 3 won't be back and even 4 possibly. Traverse I would be surprised if they brought him back. Dykhuis I can't see paying him 1.7M to play in Hamilton after paying him 1.6M this year. Hainsey and Beauchemin have to clear waivers to play in Hamilton, don't know if one or both will pass through them. Beauchemin isn't a household name and has passed through the last 2 years, so it would be huge for the Dogs to get him back. Plante has a team option, so I assume he'll be back. Cote I hope is back. Archer didn't play all that much this year, but hopefully he will next year.

A Beauchemin Archer Cote Plante is decent but not great pairing. Take out Beauchemin and the teams in trouble. Shasby, Flood, Glenn, Korneev I would think would be considered for a spot. Shasby I hope makes it. Flood can go back to the OHL, but I'd like to see him in Hamilton. Glenn I assume if signed will start off in the ECHL (once we find a team in the ECHL to put him) Korneev I'd love to see signed, but the IIHF/Russian Federation thing could get in the way. Then there's an overage CHLers who could land a spot as well. I expect them to invite a few defensemen to camp. I had heard a rumor from someone that follows the Rocket closely and she said she heard that we were going to sign Brent MacLellan (which I don't beleive cause he turned us down last camp) but we'll see. I don't think he had a very good year, so perhaps management will not offer him an invite.

Still our defense is going to need some help, and a lot depends on Beauchemin and Hainsey. To lose our top 2 defensemen from the team would be a big loss, but it's tough to say what will happen. I'd rather see Beauchemin up with the Habs, but we can't have him and Hainsey there, so I would assume he'll be back in Hamilton.
I could see a lineup of

Beauchemin Flood
Cote Plante
Shasby Archer
Vydareny

Shasby is more offensive and can move the puck well and jump in on the rush. Archer is a safe steady stay at home type, so they might make a good pairing. With that lineup, we'd have Beauchemin, Cote and Archer as our physical defense and Flood, Beauchemin, Shasby, Plante for offense.

Forwards will be the most interesting, as lots of changes could be made. Gone are the 2 tampa players. Gratton looks like he'll be gone as well. Perezhogin gone too, that's a lot of offense gone. Then there's Hossa, Higgins and Plekanec who should all see time with the Habs if theres a season. It's so hard to say what will happen with these 3, but I can't see Hossa in Hamilton due to waivers. Milroy and Ferland will need to step it up as well.

Then the next big question is Kastsitsyn. Add him, and we add a lot of help offensively. Then there's Locke, Lambert, Urquhart and Deveaux, plus any other overaged FA's plus I assume Dwyer, Carpentier, Thinel, are back. Larrivee could get a spot and Robinson hopefully is back too. Deveaux if signed I could see in the ECHL.

No NHL season,

Higgins Plekanec Kastsitsyn
Hossa/Lambert Locke Milroy
Robinson Dwyer Ferland
Larrivee Deveaux Thinel
Carpentier

With Urquhart unknown and Lambert as well since I don't know what will happen to Hossa if there's no NHL season in reguards to waivers (not the waiver draft)

If there's an NHL season it gets very tough, as Lambert could take Hossa's spot, and Urquhart take Pleks spot if he's gone, but that's a very young and inexperienced roster. Take out Kastsitsyn as well if he's not signed and the offense takes an even bigger hit.

Either way it's going to be very interesting what happens, cause we know for sure that there will be a season in Hamilton, and hopefully they can continue to be a top team, as the last 2 years have been very fun to watch.

Last edited by montreal: 05-17-2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old
05-17-2004, 12:06 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Two players I am dying to see play in professional hockey next year:

Kastsitsyn and Locke.

Old
05-17-2004, 12:06 PM
Darz

Yo Dan, you and I both know there won't be NHL hockey at all next year so guys like Hainsey will be in Hamilton all season. Even when considering that the d does look weak. One name you didn't mention was Rene Vydareny. Do you think he might enter the mix?

Old
05-17-2004, 12:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Yo Dan, you and I both know there won't be NHL hockey at all next year so guys like Hainsey will be in Hamilton all season. Even when considering that the d does look weak. One name you didn't mention was Rene Vydareny. Do you think he might enter the mix?

I'm still holding out hope they will get something done, but if there's no season I assume the waivers rule won't apply. As for Vydareny I forgot him, he's a decent bottom pairing guy which could take Shasby's spot.

Old
05-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Now that I start to look over what the lineup might look like next year, I begin to see why Savard wants to add some players from the Hawks (assuming it's them)
I hope it's not the Hawks. They have about a million goalies, and if they get into partnerships, they're sure to try to pawn a goalie off on us.

Anyway, even if the season goes ahead and we are hit with the biggest wave imaginable of graduations and defections, I would still hope that we keep the affiliation solely for ourselves. There are other Cotes and Plantes out there graduating from junior this year.

Old
05-17-2004, 01:27 PM
SwiftyHab

What about Milroy?

Old
05-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Aarex

a quick questions that im sure has been answered before...

if there is no hockey at all next season, what happens to the following years draft?

I'd imagine it would be completly random...

Old
05-17-2004, 01:53 PM
saskhab

the hawks and habs combining their forces together at last? man, that'd be sweet. the hawks have always been the only other team i can get passionate about on a consistent basis...

wouldn't we want the hawks to pawn a goalie off on us? it doesn't mean we'd have to play him, and since michaud isn't exactly improving and damphousse isn't either why would we want both of them? i think it's best that we shed ourselves of ficahud and damphousse and have danis in the AHL and michaud in the ECHL, and if the hawks want to send us adam munro, adam berkhoel, or mike brodeur to be a backup then that's fine by me.

would hainsey have to clear waivers? i thought that you had to play in 50 games before that kicks in... i know hossa would have to, but i think hainsey can still play in the AHL. i think management is prepared to trade him, anyways. he's had some chances, has his apparent attitude problem, and didn't really improve this year. beauchemin seems to have passed him no the depth chart, and i think beauch will be the 7th man next year.

Old
05-17-2004, 04:14 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyHab
What about Milroy?

What about him? He should get more ice time next year for sure. I have him on the 2nd line. Milroy and Ferland will need to step it up next year.

Old
05-17-2004, 04:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab
the hawks and habs combining their forces together at last? man, that'd be sweet. the hawks have always been the only other team i can get passionate about on a consistent basis...

wouldn't we want the hawks to pawn a goalie off on us? it doesn't mean we'd have to play him, and since michaud isn't exactly improving and damphousse isn't either why would we want both of them? i think it's best that we shed ourselves of ficahud and damphousse and have danis in the AHL and michaud in the ECHL, and if the hawks want to send us adam munro, adam berkhoel, or mike brodeur to be a backup then that's fine by me.

would hainsey have to clear waivers? i thought that you had to play in 50 games before that kicks in... i know hossa would have to, but i think hainsey can still play in the AHL. i think management is prepared to trade him, anyways. he's had some chances, has his apparent attitude problem, and didn't really improve this year. beauchemin seems to have passed him no the depth chart, and i think beauch will be the 7th man next year.
Hainsey has to clear waivers, it's based on your age when you sign your contract. If 50 games were the case, Beauchemin would never have to clear waivers.

As for the Hawks, I hope it's just a 2-3 player thing, and I'd rather not see any team here, but that's just me.

Old
05-17-2004, 05:45 PM
RichardZednik#20

Any chance that Jarventie come back. He was a good depth D-man.

Old
05-17-2004, 05:59 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Now that I start to look over what the lineup might look like next year, I begin to see why Savard wants to add some players from the Hawks (assuming it's them).
Dan, I agree. With the potential promotion of players to the Habs, Grats looking at Europe, and with Perez sitting out for a season, a couple of good forwards from Chi-town and a solid defencemen would keep this team competitive until some of our younger prospects are ready to make the move up. It really makes for a very young team next season if guys like Traverse, Gratton and Dykhuis are gone, and moreso when you figure one of Fichaud/Damphousse will likely be let go to give Danis one of the two top spots in Hamilton. Otherwise, management might have to rush the signing of guys like Flood and Uruqhart, who probably wouldn't hurt from another season in the CHL.

There are some "sure thing" signings, as I see management inking Lambert, Deveaux and Locke (although not needed, but it just makes sense to get this talented 20 year old up in the next level of hockey). I also see Glenn added to the mix, but you are right that he may see ECHL action first. Thinel, Shasby and Larrivee had decent ECHL seasons, so they are in line for a serious look in Hamilton next season.

I would also hope that management give both Buturlin and Korneev a looksie to try and entice them over. Korneev would benefit from the increased ice time and Buturlin already gets top line ice time in the RSL, so would be an easy adjustment to the AHL. You mention the NHL/Russian Hockey Fed issue around transfer fees, and that may make looking within North America more enticing to the Habs, but I would like to see both those guys playing in Hamilton next season. I am also really hopeful that Kasty's contract with CSKA is over this season so that he is free and clear to be signed over the summer, as all communications from management seem to indicate that this is a priority. I don't believe the transfer fee would kick in if his contract expires, although I have no way of knowing if his current RSL contract is up or not.

Overall, the team still lacks size and toughness up front, so I can't see management letting Dwyer go, as he also would be good in his leadership role. Carpentier is a decent role player, but there may be other more talented options out there on the free market. I know Savard is the GM in Hamilton and likes skilled guys, but Bob is looking over his shoulder and likely wants some grit in the mix as well. It will be interesting to see who gets invited into camp for a tryout. We seemed to do quite well with Cote last season, as he added some good stay at home toughness in front of the net.

Can Ferland, Milroy and others make up for the lost offence from Balej, Pleks, Perezhogin, Higgins and Hossa (all who could be up with the big club and Balej was traded) from this season? Offence was the bread and butter of this team this season, so interesting to see how it fares next season with lots of potentially new faces.

Anyway, fun looking forward to the Hab team that we at least know will be playing hockey all season next year!!

Last edited by NWT Habs Fan: 05-17-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old
05-17-2004, 06:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20
Any chance that Jarventie come back. He was a good depth D-man.

Doubtful. He was bought out, that usually means goodbye. But I guess we'll see if he's at camp.

Last edited by montreal: 05-17-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old
05-17-2004, 06:56 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

As for Kastsitsyn I think he has one more year on his contract with CSKA, but I can't remember. We can still sign him this summer, but would have to pay a transfer fee to bring him over. 1st rounders on average cost 200K, but I've heard that the Russian Federation wants it as high as 1M for 1st rounders, which is insane, imo, and would force some teams not to draft Russians in the 1st round, although it's all just rumor right now.

Korneev I would be in favor of bringing him over for sure. Buturlin I would be surprised if he came over, as he is a big part of Lada's sucess and they are one of the top teams in the RSL. I don't even know if the Habs would be interested in him, since he turned down Savard's offer, but who knows. Guess we'll see if he's at camp or not.

Old
05-18-2004, 04:19 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
As for Kastsitsyn I think he has one more year on his contract with CSKA, but I can't remember. We can still sign him this summer, but would have to pay a transfer fee to bring him over. 1st rounders on average cost 200K, but I've heard that the Russian Federation wants it as high as 1M for 1st rounders, which is insane, imo, and would force some teams not to draft Russians in the 1st round, although it's all just rumor right now.

Korneev I would be in favor of bringing him over for sure. Buturlin I would be surprised if he came over, as he is a big part of Lada's sucess and they are one of the top teams in the RSL. I don't even know if the Habs would be interested in him, since he turned down Savard's offer, but who knows. Guess we'll see if he's at camp or not.
I think that the uncertainty around the CBA issue does not work in BG's favour to lure the European players over, who likely see another stable year in Europe as being better than an uncertain year in NA. When you throw in the transfer fee issue, some of these top players like Kasty could fetch a pretty penny. Given these factors, I can understand why AS is looking towards another one year deal with another team to loan the Dogs a few bodies. Given the few spots that likely will open up for Hamilton players in Montreal, those spots will be taken by the new CHL signed players. That still leaves some depth for another team's trio, and if it is for a year, I really don't see it holding too many of our prospects back at all.

Good discussion!!

Old
05-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Do you guys think with the CBA next year that the players will refuse to play under any salary cap and Betman will give up and let them play again? It seems that from what the players are saying, they have nothing to lose and they are ready to do anything to reject any cap. What do you think will happen?

Old
05-19-2004, 05:38 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
Do you guys think with the CBA next year that the players will refuse to play under any salary cap and Betman will give up and let them play again? It seems that from what the players are saying, they have nothing to lose and they are ready to do anything to reject any cap. What do you think will happen?
I can honestly say I have no idea one way or the other how this will play out. If I was forced at gunpoint to come down off the fence, I would say there will probably be a lengthy lockout of at least half a season, then they'll settle on some kind of compromise soft cap/luxury tax thing, but with a bunch of concessions to the players in terms of free agency and so on.

Old
05-19-2004, 06:25 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
I think you are going to hear alot of rhetoric about who will play here and what people are willing to do. Right now I think its alot of posturing. One thing I do beleive is that the owners are dug in. They each put money away last year at the GM meetings foir their "war chest"....so I do not beleive this thing will be over quickly anayways.
I also think the players would be silly not to play under a new CBA, right now lots of fans mistrust owners a little. If the players refuse to play I am prett sure the fans will not understand why no matter what reason we are given

Old
05-20-2004, 01:57 PM
saskhab

the thing with bring over european players this year is that while there is uncertainty in the NHL, there is very little in the AHL. There will be hockey in the AHL starting in September and ending in June, that is given. If the agents of some of these prospects know that a team would like to have them spend a year in the minors before giving them a chance to make the NHL roster, then signing them this summer shouldn't be a problem. It's when it's a guy who thinks he can make the NHL team immediately that they might be hesitant.

i think there is a relationship between age and games played for waivers, which is why we couldn't send ribeiro down in 2002-03 even though he was in his first contract still. but hainsey might be past that point anyways... i guess i'll go and read the CBA to find out if i'm insane or not. yipee, reading litigation...

Closed Thread