HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Derek Stepan (Post #396)

Old
06-16-2010, 10:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Larry Brooks. From: @NYP_Brooksie
Sent: Jun 16, 2010 11:09a

An fyi in case it has been reported otherwise: No progress at all in talks between Rangers and Badgers' senior D Ryan McDonagh.

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/16313081196

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 10:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Prospects camp takes place the last week in June and McDonagh will make his decision which is what was reported by the Wisconsin papers a few weeks ago.

Old
06-16-2010, 11:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Those Badger fans are crazy. They act like they are BC who lost 3 forwards from their team and have a possible #1 pick Kevin Hayes as a prime freshman. They think they will be good next season. Craig Smith. Jordy Murray. Jake Gardiner. Justin Schultz. John Ramage. Five players.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:37 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Those Badger fans are crazy. They act like they are BC who lost 3 forwards from their team and have a possible #1 pick Kevin Hayes as a prime freshman. They think they will be good next season. Craig Smith. Jordy Murray. Jake Gardiner. Justin Schultz. John Ramage. Five players.
They wont be bad, thats for sure...

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 06:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Before I continue this analysis, I don’t think McDonagh's leaving or not impacts how many players to add to next season’s roster. If he leaves, the team still has 8 defensemen. At this point, I’m assuming he’ll sign at/after the Rangers prospect camp. The only hope I hold for his return is that he doesn’t want to be a Ranger, they won’t trade him, and he decides to return to college for a year and then wait until next summer after his rights expire w/ the Rangers, and he signs w/ a different organization. I’d imagine he’d have his pick, though financially I’m not sure if he’d get more money that way since I’m not familiar w/ free agent contract vs draftee contract maximums. And who could blame him if he didn’t want to be a Ranger? Never liked them, and won’t be changing my mind any time this century.
http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...ves-to-do.html

If you lived in Wisconsin,you would be angry too.

So happy BC ripped Wisconsin in the championship game. Rooted for Wisconsin but no more.

So happy the Rangers ripped Stepan out of Wisconsin's clutches.

Old
06-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Levitate

Having a bunch of players leave early is the price these college teams pay for recruiting talented young players.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Chuck Schwartz

Quote:
Do you expect us to just pack up our bags and write off the season? We were in the National Championship game last season but because we lost a lot of guys, we're just supposed to say screw it, we're going to suck next year, lets give up on the season? Give me a break, in college hockey, big time programs don't rebuild, they reload.

I'm not saying that the incoming Wisconsin class can replace who was lost, but have you seen who they have coming in? They have a lot of older, very experienced kids who have played a lot of minutes in junior and will be ready to immediately contribute. Mark Zengerle led the BCHL in scoring last season, Tyler Barnes and Matt Lindblad both finished in the top 10 in the USHL in scoring last season. Jason Clark from Shattuck will be an NHL Draft pick this summer, Jefferson Dahl led his USHL team in scoring, and Michael Mersch from the USA NTDP has boat loads of potential.

Wisconsin was hands down the deepest team in the country last season. We had players who played 40 plus games as freshmen and sophomores last season consistently sitting in suits during games last season because we didn't have enough ice time to go around. Players will have expanded roles who didn't get an opportunity last season.

If McDonagh stays, I'd like to see another team not named North Dakota put out a better top 4 defensive core than Jake Gardiner (1st rounder), Justin Schultz (2nd rounder), Ryan McDonagh (1st rounder), and John Ramage (Projected 3-4 rounder). That's a sick top 4 in the college game. Oh, and our 4 and 5 would be Frankie Simonelli, a recruit from the USA NTDP, and either a guy who played 23 games two years ago or a guy who played 19 games two years ago for us.

We also return both of our senior goalies.

We might not be a title favorite, but we are going to be far from bad.

Chuck Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Levitate

I'm not really sure why Rangers fans care one way or another about how well Wisconsin will do next year? Unless they were also Wisconsin fans to begin with...

Dunno, just don't see why people here are ripping on Wisconsin for wanting to have a good team, trying to be optimistic about next year, etc etc. It'll be tough with all the players leaving, but best of luck to them anyways.

And yeah I'm selfish and hope McDonagh signs with the Rangers. Sorry Badger fans

Old
06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I could care less about Wisconsin.....

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...ves-to-do.html

If you lived in Wisconsin,you would be angry too.

So happy BC ripped Wisconsin in the championship game. Rooted for Wisconsin but no more.

So happy the Rangers ripped Stepan out of Wisconsin's clutches.
Funny that this guy writes about his hating the Rangers after we grab Stepan and McD. Clown.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
Do you expect us to just pack up our bags and write off the season? We were in the National Championship game last season but because we lost a lot of guys, we're just supposed to say screw it, we're going to suck next year, lets give up on the season? Give me a break, in college hockey, big time programs don't rebuild, they reload.

I'm not saying that the incoming Wisconsin class can replace who was lost, but have you seen who they have coming in? They have a lot of older, very experienced kids who have played a lot of minutes in junior and will be ready to immediately contribute. Mark Zengerle led the BCHL in scoring last season, Tyler Barnes and Matt Lindblad both finished in the top 10 in the USHL in scoring last season. Jason Clark from Shattuck will be an NHL Draft pick this summer, Jefferson Dahl led his USHL team in scoring, and Michael Mersch from the USA NTDP has boat loads of potential.

Wisconsin was hands down the deepest team in the country last season. We had players who played 40 plus games as freshmen and sophomores last season consistently sitting in suits during games last season because we didn't have enough ice time to go around. Players will have expanded roles who didn't get an opportunity last season.

If McDonagh stays, I'd like to see another team not named North Dakota put out a better top 4 defensive core than Jake Gardiner (1st rounder), Justin Schultz (2nd rounder), Ryan McDonagh (1st rounder), and John Ramage (Projected 3-4 rounder). That's a sick top 4 in the college game. Oh, and our 4 and 5 would be Frankie Simonelli, a recruit from the USA NTDP, and either a guy who played 23 games two years ago or a guy who played 19 games two years ago for us.

We also return both of our senior goalies.

We might not be a title favorite, but we are going to be far from bad.
honestly...and i dont mean any disrespect...but most of us dont care. really all we care about is getting our prospects to our club when they are ready. They wont be a championship caliber team next year, we can agree on that right? And McDonagh has nothing left to prove at that level, we can agree on that right?

Then the argument is over.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:51 AM
ExileOnDaytonStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Funny that this guy writes about his hating the Rangers after we grab Stepan and McD. Clown.
You're over-simplifying it. Badger fans that post on USCHO (including myself and all the other people at No Alibis) aren't annoyed with the Rangers over them signing Stepan and (presumably) signing McD. High draft picks leaving early is nothing new to college hockey, we're used to it. In the past five years, we've had more than 10 players leave early for pro contracts. In fact, we feel grateful whenever we can get three years out of guys like McD, or Jamie McBain, or Cody Goloubef.

There are other factors at play here. The big one is the fact that Sather is on record saying that if Stepan doesn't make the big club this year, he would want to send him to a CHL team. That alone is more than enough to piss off any college hockey fan. Take away one of our top players just to send him to major junior? That's a move that is sideways at best for Stepan (since most college players need to improve physically before getting to the NHL, and you're not going to get that playing against a bunch of CHL teenagers) and it gives the Badgers the shaft. Why wouldn't Badger fans be upset about that?

ExileOnDaytonStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:54 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
You're over-simplifying it. Badger fans that post on USCHO (including myself and all the other people at No Alibis) aren't annoyed with the Rangers over them signing Stepan and (presumably) signing McD. High draft picks leaving early is nothing new to college hockey, we're used to it. In the past five years, we've had more than 10 players leave early for pro contracts. In fact, we feel grateful whenever we can get three years out of guys like McD, or Jamie McBain, or Cody Goloubef.

There are other factors at play here. The big one is the fact that Sather is on record saying that if Stepan doesn't make the big club this year, he would want to send him to a CHL team. That alone is more than enough to piss off any college hockey fan. Take away one of our top players just to send him to major junior? That's a move that is sideways at best for Stepan (since most college players need to improve physically before getting to the NHL, and you're not going to get that playing against a bunch of CHL teenagers) and it gives the Badgers the shaft. Why wouldn't Badger fans be upset about that?
Not sure where Sather has been on reord with this. We've seen speculation from Larry Brooks, the NY Post beat writer for the Rangers, but no direct quotes from Sather that I'm aware of. Meanwhile, Papa Stepan is on record saying that teh agreement is that is son will play either in the NHL or AHL.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Not sure where Sather has been on reord with this. We've seen speculation from Larry Brooks, the NY Post beat writer for the Rangers, but no direct quotes from Sather that I'm aware of. Meanwhile, Papa Stepan is on record saying that teh agreement is that is son will play either in the NHL or AHL.
Yeah, this. It seems like the CHL thing is being played up by people for some reason, and everyone is ignoring what Derek's dad said.

It went from Larry Brooks speculation, to "Sather is on record". It's like a purple monkey dishwasher thing.

If anyone has quotes with Sather saying that (and that are recent and not from his draft year saying something like "oh it'd be nice if he went to the CHL instead of Wisconsin), then please post them.

edit: And you Wisconsin fans seem to be making up scenarios and reasons to hate Sather and the Rangers. It's not just "oh Stepan might go to the CHL!". You're all apparently mad that the Rangers waited a few months to start talking to Stepan and McDonagh about turning pro, and instead wanted them to start the talks immediately after they lost the championship game! How is that any more professional? I'm sure those guys were crushed that they lost that game and weren't interested in talking about leaving college at the same time.

You're just mad that good players are leaving your team. And yeah that sucks (and is part of the reason I never really got into college sports, along with not going to a college that had major sports teams), but give me a break.

And you can "blame" McDonagh for dragging his situation out longer before you blame the Rangers. He's the one that wanted to wait another month or so to decide, not the Rangers.

Last edited by Levitate: 06-18-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old
06-18-2010, 08:47 AM
ruckus*

I would be disappointed if he ended up playing in the CHL. Makes no sense at all, so I'm going to assume that it wouldn't happen.

All the people arguing that he'd learn a more professional schedule and what not is so weak. He can learn that in the A, where he'll also play against men, not sixteen year olds. There is NO reason for him to play in the C at all. Not one.

And Wisconsin fans can be as upset as they want. I still love Wisconsin. And cheese. Mostly cheese.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:04 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Wisconsin confirmed the Rangers signing of Stepan. Why the Rangers are waiting July 1 to announce the signing is weird.

Paul Capobianco is the athletics communications/SID for the Wisconsin hockey team. NY boy. Selden,NY.

He wrote about Stepan in/on his blog

Quote:
Surely the news most directly impacting the 2010-11 Badgers is the early departure of junior-to-be center Derek Stepan. Named an assistant captain for next season, Stepan decided to pass on his final two years of collegiate eligibility and take his game to the next level. Wisconsin's leading scorer last season was one of three players in the nation to average better than an assist per game. And in one of those annual end-of-season quirks in college hockey, was completely absent with regards to individual league and national honors. The former Badger star opened eyes when he led Team USA in scoring as captain and led the team to the 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship gold medal. Stepan is a fantastic person with obvious leadership abilities who will be sorely missed in the Badger locker room. He will be a great addition to the New York Rangers organization.
http://www.uwbadgers.com/blog/2010/0...key-world.html

Old
06-18-2010, 07:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Wisconsin recruits?

Quote:
UW wound up eighth overall, but just fifth among Western Collegiate Hockey Association teams. A grain of salt here is that RLR bases its evaluation on the NHL worthiness of prospects, which means the Badgers didn't get a lot of mileage out of top recruits like 20-year-old centers Mark Zengerle and Tyler Barnes in their eight-person class.

Minnesota (which currently has five of the top 100 RLR prospects) and North Dakota (led by elite defensemen Derek Forbort and Dillon Simpson) are 1 and 2, respectively.

Boston University of the Hockey East Association is third, followed by Denver (led by projected NHL first-round winger Beau Bennett) in the fourth spot.
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c03286.html

Old
06-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Levitate

I don't know, didn't Brooks say it was some weird quirk in the CBA that it couldn't officially be registered until July 1st? That would certainly keep them from officially announcing it

Old
06-18-2010, 07:16 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Today is Stepan's birthday.

Quote:
One of Stepan's teammates during the emotional NCAA run was defenseman Ryan McDonagh, a fellow Rangers prospect obtained in a trade with Montreal last summer. Stepan was delighted to hear about that trade and now hopes that he and McDonagh will soon play together in the NHL, too.

"We're pretty good buddies. We're always playing video games together and hanging out. We always just kind of joke around about it (being NHL teammates)," said Stepan. "We joke about how we could move out there together and stuff like that. It's something that we're really good buddies and if it were to happen, we would definitely enjoy it and try to be as close as we can."
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Old
06-18-2010, 07:29 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't know, didn't Brooks say it was some weird quirk in the CBA that it couldn't officially be registered until July 1st? That would certainly keep them from officially announcing it
It was Brooks.

Quote:
The Post has learned that Stepan, the Rangers' second-round (51st overall) selection in the 2008 Entry Draft, has agreed to terms on a contract that, per the collective bargaining agreement, cannot be registered with the NHL until July 1. It will be a three-year Entry Level deal expected to be close to the $875,000 base salary cap
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...2nVZQoEuc88fkK

Contracts for players who played in the KHL and are signing NHL contracts can not be registered/announced until July 1. Anton Babchuk has a done deal with Carolina but they are waiting until 7/1 to make it official.

The Rangers announced the Karel Rachunek and Steve Valiquette signings on July 1 when they returned to the NHL.

Have to look for what Brooks is referring too.

Old
07-01-2010, 11:12 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Guess we can put a "confirmed with link" tag here:

Quote:
New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has agreed to terms with forward Derek Stepan.
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:16 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Great to see it finalized!

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Evolved83

Awesome!

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:18 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Really excited about Stepan... im really hoping he excels at the AHL level and makes it tough for the Rangers to send him there.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Ranger Angst

McGuire wanted to talk about it on TSn -but they had to go to commercials. I'm very happy.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote