HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Kovalchuk ever sign with the Wild?

Old
06-10-2010, 11:09 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
With Kovy and a servicable 2nd line center they are immediately in the thick of the west. Especially when you consider; a) the Hawks will be moving a small handful of 2nd tier scorers to get under the cap b) the Sharks are likely not going to re-sign Nabby and will go with a rookie or cheaper alternative c) what would a 40 goal scorer and decent center added to last seasons club have done to the Wild? They likely go from an 85 point team to a 98+ point team.

How good are the Wild next season if they have the following lines?

Havlat 65 pts./Brodziak 35pts./Latendresse 60 pts.
Miettenen 42 pts./Cullen 50 pts./Brunette 50 pts.
Kovy 90 pts./Koivu 85 pts/Wellman 45 pts.
Kassian/Sheppard/Clutterbuck 15-20 goals
I think you highly underestimate how far the Wild are from contention. They are not 1-2 players away from making the playoffs. Nor can they afford the contracts needed to bring them in anyway due to their current cap hell.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 11:14 PM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
We are pretty much guaranteed that PMB will be here next year and will try to play at some point during the season, so Fletch will have to keep that in mind when making deals.

Kari addressed this already, but is it really worth it for us to sign Kovalchuk? I doubt he would even want to come here. It doesn't seem like the best decision for the upcoming years. Yes, we do need to win, but we can't try to just bandage up by signing some FA's, the key is the draft and we have to build through it.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I think you highly underestimate how far the Wild are from contention. They are not 1-2 players away from making the playoffs. Nor can they afford the contracts needed to bring them in anyway due to their current cap hell.
I kind of disagree with this. If it weren't for that terrible road trip at the beginning of the year, and if Lats had been here at the beginning of the year and Burns were healthy all year I think we could've made a 6, 7 or 8 seed, meaning we wouldn't have been sellers at the deadline. They'd have a pretty different looking team as we speak I'd bet. That said, we wouldn't have ended up with the 9th pick in this deep draft AND the Wild probably would've had another first round exit. So for me, it's choosing between Lats, Barker and #9, or Lats, an expiring soon-to-be injured Johnsson, and a first round playoff elimination landing us closer to the 20th pick.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 07:33 AM
nickschultzfan

The Wild are a good player or two away from the playoffs.

Please, put down the razors.

And people act like signing a free agent doesn't help you past the first season.

You sign a player like Kovalchuk or Plekanec, and they help the team for years. Both those players have flaws, but they are still UPGRADES.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 10:49 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i really am quite puzzled on everyone naming Plekanec as a huge difference maker...

he'd be decent, but he isn't anything that would push us over the edge into success.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:31 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i really am quite puzzled on everyone naming Plekanec as a huge difference maker...

he'd be decent, but he isn't anything that would push us over the edge into success.
Nobody is saying that.

I've been pushing for him the most - ONLY because he's a major upgrade over any 2nd line center we've had, have, or will have for the next several seasons.

Nobody on the team. Nobody in the farm. Nobody coming via trade.

I fully admit that he doesn't "make stuff happen" on his own, but a 70-point center who can also play on the PK is better than our other options.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 02:09 PM
shleeban

im trying to figure out how kovalchuk wouldnt make us a playoff team.... hes twice the player gaborik is shooting wise... put him on a line with pmb or havlat or even koivu and tell me he wont easily score 50 goals... hes scored 50 goals on a GARBAGE team for years...

you guys are high...

goal scoring problem....

fixed.

he is a top 10 most likely top 5 goal scorer in the nhl.

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 04:18 PM
saywut

Kovalchuk could make us a playoff team, but how can we afford him, honestly? We would have to offer 9M+ per season on a long-term contract. That would put us at ~55M for 16 players, without Latendresse signed. Schultz, Kobasew, Bouchard, Burns, Barker, Zidlicky, Backstrom, these guys aren't going anywhere. We simply can't afford him, I don't know whats so hard to understand about that.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:57 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

There's a difference between being a playoff team and being a contender. IMO just making the playpoffs should not be the goal, making it deep in the playoffs should be.

Don't tell me how "anything can happen once you get in" either. We are not even close to being the quality of team that the Flyers are. THAT is what I mean when I say we are more than 1 or 2 players from being a contender.

Old
06-14-2010, 07:56 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i'd be happy with a playoff spot after the last couple of years and considering that Fletcher hasn't yet had the opportunity to fully build his own team yet. If by some miracle we signed Kovalchuk to a multi year contract we'd be in great shape for a deep playoff run the next season, I think. Some of those contracts would be easier to get rid of by then and we'd have more fitting personnel. What high powered FAs are likely to be on the market in a year. By that I mean which are liable to test the market rather than just sign extensions? There might not be anyone left when all our ducks are starting to line up so better to pounce now if it's possible.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:51 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Until we get relief from Bouchard's and Backstrom's contracts, this team is really handcuffed when it comes to becoming a contender. We can't afford Kovi, let alone Kovi and the needed supporting cast to fill all the holes.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:02 AM
CT*
WOLF GANG

Even if the money was right I couldn't see Kovalchuk coming here, I think he suffered enough in Atlanta. I remember reading about before when he said he would resign with Atlanta, and they offered him a very large sum of money and he still declined.

CT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:00 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
Even if the money was right I couldn't see Kovalchuk coming here, I think he suffered enough in Atlanta. I remember reading about before when he said he would resign with Atlanta, and they offered him a very large sum of money and he still declined.
Welcome!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:42 AM
CT*
WOLF GANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Welcome!
Thank you kindly sir, been lurking this forum for a while so I thought I might as well take the plunge.

CT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:48 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
Thank you kindly sir, been lurking this forum for a while so I thought I might as well take the plunge.
Well this's guys username is going to be a pain in the !@# for me lol

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote