HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Carcillo vs Talbot

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-09-2010, 03:46 PM
  #1
Uncle Sam
Registered User
 
Uncle Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: America
Country: United States
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
Carcillo vs Talbot

Most important fight in years?

Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:54 PM
  #2
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo
 
six sigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,990
vCash: 500
No. But I do enjoy watching it.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:28 PM
  #3
PensPlz
Registered User
 
PensPlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,919
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
No. But I do enjoy watching it.
You enjoy watching the shift of momentum in the game amounting to the Flyers failure? Me too!

PensPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:50 AM
  #4
SchennSational1022*
The Future
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Long Island New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensPlz View Post
You enjoy watching the shift of momentum in the game amounting to the Flyers failure? Me too!
No, we enjoy watching Talbot get his brains beat in thought.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:20 AM
  #5
lirit
Romans 8:31
 
lirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
Most important fight in years?
Without it, I think it would have went to game 7 in that series and who knows what would have happened. So yeah, it was pretty important for the Pens.


Last edited by lirit: 06-10-2010 at 10:28 AM.
lirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 02:48 PM
  #6
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 56,878
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain richie18 View Post
No, we enjoy watching Talbot get his brains beat in thought.
You go ahead and enjoy that aspect...we'll enjoy the complete and total momentum swing that won us the series.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 03:23 PM
  #7
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,842
vCash: 50
The Flyers up until recently had still been putting that fight up in opening videos and such for the crowd. I seethed every time I saw it.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:55 PM
  #8
lirit
Romans 8:31
 
lirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Flyers up until recently had still been putting that fight up in opening videos and such for the crowd. I seethed every time I saw it.
Seriously?

Did the crowd like it?

lirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:15 PM
  #9
SchennSational1022*
The Future
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Long Island New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
I honestly think that momentum shift was ********. Never have I heard of a player getting beat down rise his team up. I could understand if he put up a decent scrap.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:35 PM
  #10
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,842
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain richie18 View Post
I honestly think that momentum shift was ********. Never have I heard of a player getting beat down rise his team up. I could understand if he put up a decent scrap.
Ask the team what won the game what they thought was the turning point of the game. If you watch the post game interviews from that game, they mention it without even being asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirit View Post
Seriously?

Did the crowd like it?
When it happened yeah. If you're in the crowd and your guy crushes the other in a fight, how could you not? Once you think about it though...

It started being phased out around the time Stevens was fired and Laviolette was the coach.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
  #11
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain richie18 View Post
No, we enjoy watching Talbot get his brains beat in thought.
Now I understand why you're using THAT handle. 36 years and counting...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:20 PM
  #12
RememberRoger*
apt w/ 2 sexy ladies
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
i'm neutral to both PHI and PIT but i gotta laugh at the notion that my teammate getting the crap beat out of him has magical momentum-shifting energy... i think the Flyers just came undone..

RememberRoger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:25 PM
  #13
RememberRoger*
apt w/ 2 sexy ladies
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
Most important fight in years?

this:


RememberRoger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:52 PM
  #14
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 56,878
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberRoger View Post
i'm neutral to both PHI and PIT but i gotta laugh at the notion that my teammate getting the crap beat out of him has magical momentum-shifting energy... i think the Flyers just came undone..
The Penguins were down 3-0 halfway through the game and playing completely listlessly. We were dead in the water. As soon as that fight happens the team comes back to life, steamrolls the Flyers the rest of the game and every single player interviewed instantly gave credit to Talbot's brass balls.

I'd say its a rare case, but anyone watching the game could tell that fight turned the momentum in the game, and effectively the series. The Pens had three real momentum turning moments in the playoffs last year...the Carcillo-Talbot fight, the Fleury save on Ovechkin's breakaway, and Staal's short handed goal against Detroit.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:59 PM
  #15
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,842
vCash: 50
It's more about the attempt to find the spark in the team than it is getting whooped in a fight. Talbot knew exactly what he was doing, and knew he was going to lose the fight as well (guys will fight knowing that it will probably happen). Why else would he shush the crowd on the way to the penalty box?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 03:37 PM
  #16
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The Penguins were down 3-0 halfway through the game and playing completely listlessly. We were dead in the water. As soon as that fight happens the team comes back to life, steamrolls the Flyers the rest of the game and every single player interviewed instantly gave credit to Talbot's brass balls.

I'd say its a rare case, but anyone watching the game could tell that fight turned the momentum in the game, and effectively the series. The Pens had three real momentum turning moments in the playoffs last year...the Carcillo-Talbot fight, the Fleury save on Ovechkin's breakaway, and Staal's short handed goal against Detroit.




You're drinking the Pierre Mcguire Kool-aid. The Pens were the best come from behind team in the league that season. We were simply outplayed and beaten by a better team. Honestly, blaming Carcillo hammering Talbot is one of the single dumbest things I've seen in hockey. Analysts keep regurgitating it because they hate Dan and Talbot gave the crowd that cool sssshhh.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 04:55 PM
  #17
Erz8771
Registered User
 
Erz8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: T.Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
Of course Flyer fans are going to say no, and Pens fans say yes. In any regards props to Talbo for manning up.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:41 PM
  #18
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,842
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
You're drinking the Pierre Mcguire Kool-aid. The Pens were the best come from behind team in the league that season. We were simply outplayed and beaten by a better team. Honestly, blaming Carcillo hammering Talbot is one of the single dumbest things I've seen in hockey. Analysts keep regurgitating it because they hate Dan and Talbot gave the crowd that cool sssshhh.
They regurgitate it because it's what happened. It's almost not even a matter of opinion. It is what happened.

Pierre McGuire wasn't even at the game, first off. Darren Pang was between the benches.

Ed Olczyk was the one who commented during the fight that it was not smart, and he knew right away why Talbot was doing what he was doing. And I'll take the opinion of a guy who won a Stanley Cup as further proof.

And if they hate Carcillo, he wouldn't be spotlighted and mic'ed up for every national game.

Moreover, it would be quite silly to shush a crowd having lost a fight and losing 3-0 unless he knew what he was doing.

There was a lot of things that contributed to how the game turned out, but it started with the fight. The Penguins scored twice within two minutes of the fight. They got the hint.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:48 PM
  #19
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintersiziz77 View Post
Of course Flyer fans are going to say no, and Pens fans say yes. In any regards props to Talbo for manning up.





I can agree with that, he took one for the team. Fact is, Pens capitalized on a bounce shortly after the fight. the bounce ended up on the stick of the best hockey player in the world and the Pen's steamrolled us from there. That fight is being seriously blown out of proportion as some kind of turning point.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:53 PM
  #20
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,842
vCash: 50
That's because it was the turning point in the game. The Flyers owned the game before it, and the Penguins owned game after. Not only was it the turning point, it's among the most obvious examples you can find.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:33 PM
  #21
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 15,608
vCash: 500
Considering the players themselves said it was the turning point, I think I'll take their word for it.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:41 PM
  #22
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Considering the players themselves said it was the turning point, I think I'll take their word for it.



Every player or just the ones that hate Carcillo? Let me simplify. Pens turned it up a notch, they were good enough to win a Cup. We weren't even in their Universe. Biron fumbled a cross crease flip and the team with the most comeback wins in the league did what they do best.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:58 PM
  #23
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 15,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Every player or just the ones that hate Carcillo? Let me simplify. Pens turned it up a notch, they were good enough to win a Cup. We weren't even in their Universe. Biron fumbled a cross crease flip and the team with the most comeback wins in the league did what they do best.
The players and coaches said that Talbot's fight gave them the extra jump to turn the game around. I don't know why some people refuse to accept it.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:20 PM
  #24
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
The players and coaches said that Talbot's fight gave them the extra jump to turn the game around. I don't know why some people refuse to accept it.


because we've never seen a guy getting beatdown after picking a fight on the road be the turning point in a game before. It's usually worked the other way around. Pens got the bounces and executed, IMO it would have happened anyways. If Carter buries his gift we're not even talking about it. That Pen's team had jump against everybody in the third all year long and they were stronger than the Flyers to begin with.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:44 PM
  #25
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,842
vCash: 50
If you've never seen it, the only thing to say is to watch more hockey. There's reasons why you don't see fights in the playoffs. Ever see a guy get crushed and knocked out of a game and the team respond to win the game? It's the same thing, only with a fight it's unnecessary.


You never heard of a guy getting in a fight to jumpstart the team? It's not always about the result. One of the reasons the Penguins were a Championship team was because they had a guy like Talbot who knows how to manipulate the momentum of the game.


Last edited by GKJ: 06-12-2010 at 08:08 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.