HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

York at Wing or York at Centre?

View Poll Results: York better at centre or on the wing?
York is better at centre ice. 16 34.04%
York is better on the wing. 31 65.96%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
York at Wing or York at Centre?

To play centre, or not play centre. That is the question. - Willy Shakespear on a bender

This is a debate that comes up from time to time, and it's like the abortion debate. There is only one side of the coin - you are FOR one of the two, and AGAINST the other. No middle ground! (only difference is we don't car-bomb coaches who practice the way we don't agree with. Let's give us all a hand for that!)

So what is it, folks? York at centre ice, or York on the wing?

Old
05-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Mizral

Now I should note, I'm a 'York at centre' guy, mostly because his size doesn't help him on the forecheck, plus I also think Hemsky ought to be in the top 6, and with York on the wing it pushes Hemsky onto the 4th line, since the RPM line is the defacto 3rd line.

Old
05-17-2004, 01:37 PM
mackdogs*

It's a very hard question to answer due to the situation the Oilers are in at centre. I chose 'York is better on the wing' and I think most people will agree with that. However, the Oilers are quite thin at centre, even if we do sign Nedved. So IMO he will play centre for the team next year, but I think he is most effective playing on the wing. For example if Nedved plays next year and we still had Comrie I think York is a permanent winger on this team.

Old
05-17-2004, 01:49 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Now I should note, I'm a 'York at centre' guy, mostly because his size doesn't help him on the forecheck, plus I also think Hemsky ought to be in the top 6, and with York on the wing it pushes Hemsky onto the 4th line, since the RPM line is the defacto 3rd line.
I agree with the above reasoning, and also the fact that his numbers were fantastic last year when he was playing centre. He was leading the team in goals, assists, and plus/minus. People always say he is better at wing, but I don't think the numbers support that idea. In any case, I would rather have Horcoff in the bottom six, and Hemskey in the top six.

Old
05-17-2004, 01:51 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think it depends...

If either Reasoner or Horcoff can step up and be an offensive threat at centre, move York to the wing.

Otherwise, play him at centre.

Old
05-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Hemsky4PM

As a player I like York better on the wing. That said, I think on this team he has to play center. He's defensively responsible and an offensive threat. I agree with the earlier comment that Hemsky has to be in the top 6 long term.

Torres- Nedved- Dvorak
Smyth- York - Hemsky

I think they have to make a decision on Reasoner and Horcoff, that, or they have to bump Pisani and move horcs to RW.

Moreau- Reasoner - Horcoff (definately a combination that would be at the top of the NHL in terms of defensive reliability and decent offensive contribution)

That leaves Pisani, Stoll, Laraque and Chimera to form the 4th line and extra forwards. Why is there even talk of keeping Isbister? We don't need him, unless it's as a 4th liner ahead of Chimera. Don't qualify Izzy and offer him a deal in the 900K range and it's not a total waste, he can still fill in when offensive guys are hurt or it they want to mix it up...problem is...Isbister is usually the guys who IS hurting!

Old
05-17-2004, 02:07 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
It's a great thing having someone like York who can play all 3 forward positions well. Personally, I'd like to see him on the left wing, but having a lack of centers and an abundance of LW has forced him to play the pivot. Now that we should be starting the next season with 4 capable centers in Nedved, Reasoner, Horcoff, and Stoll, we now have the oppourtunity to upgrade our left side. I know that sounds a little strange, being that LW is our strongest position, but I think Horcoff and Stoll are better centers than Chimera is a LW so having him sit out and putting York on the wing makes our team stronger as a whole.

Old
05-17-2004, 03:40 PM
oilswell

Quote:
So what is it, folks? York at centre ice, or York on the wing?
I didn't select either answer because its phrased as whether he's better at wing or centre, as compared to whether the Oilers would be better with him at wing compared to centre.

Personally, I think his scoring is better on the wing and he looks a little more comfortable there. But I don't particularly like his game when he's on the wing. He's supposed to forecheck and dig the puck and to my eye he's been not great at that role. Sometimes he out-thinks the defenders, but that's almost the only time he wins the board battles. JMO.

But does it really matter if right now he's better on the wing? When the Oilers have so many wingers and so few quality centres?

He's a great skater, puck mover, and puck distributor. All qualities needed for a top-2 centre. The centre position seems to actually REMOVE some of the size requirements. Comrie, for instance, was pretty damn effective here at C despite his Liliputian stature. And York's at least as smart as Comrie was. His faceoffs aren't great and maybe he has to grown into his defensive awarenesses (as Smyth did a great job of last year), but IMO that is the Oilers' best option. He did great between Dvorak and Torres last year. Why not repeat and improve?

Old
05-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I think York can be put wherever we need him and still produce. If Nedved signs, I think we keep York with Dvorak, and Move Nedved up to play with Hemsky. I think that once you get past Nedved, all are other centreman's skill sets are so similar (Stoll, Reasoner, Horcoff) York has the offense to be that #2 guy behing Nedved.

Old
05-17-2004, 05:28 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
I didn't select either answer because its phrased as whether he's better at wing or centre, as compared to whether the Oilers would be better with him at wing compared to centre.
That's precisely why I'm going to abstain from the vote as well. Ideally I'd rather have him on the wing... but with the Oilers' club currently, it might be best to leave him in a scoring role at pivot.

Old
05-17-2004, 05:39 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
With the plethora of wingers we have, I like him at center - also because i think it may give him a better chance of staying healthy for a full year. But, that's one of the beautiful things about him - he can be used where ever when ever. Heck, he can even play the point on the PP!

Old
05-18-2004, 02:43 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Why is RPM the third line? Why should that line even exist? We're a better team than that now. York should be on the wing and so should Hemsky, both top six, I'm not sure exactly who's doing the pushing out in your way of thinking, I'm assuming it's Torres. Torres should be allowed to play in the role that allows him to be most effective for the team. 3rd line. He can pop 25 from there and drive opponents nuts. Of course I'm going for the 3 scoring lines approach, which may not be what you're goin for.

I still say my top 3 lines are something like:

Hemsky-Nedved-Dvorak

In the next two lines, I have six guys. Ryan Smyth, Mike York, Marty Reasoner, Jarret Stoll, Raffi Torres, and my acquired scorer. Ethan Moreau would also be used in here as a rotation guy for situational circumstances.Organzing these into 2 lines however is very difficult. I'd rather almost move them around alot. Basically, Marty and Jarret are the centers of course, 2-line and 3-line respectively. York and Smyth on the same line with Marty for certain games, but usually not together. York-Reasoner-(Scorer) would probably work, as would (Scorer)-Reasoner-Smyth. On days when we're really going for the kill, I suppose even (Scorer)-York-Smyth with Jarret shifting to wing and Marty moving down a line would work out. Extreme depth in the 4-9 forward slots allows us to constantly have the opponents on the ropes, by either allowing the first line to run wild after the 2 and 3 run down the opponents, or by lighting up the opposition that is dedicated to guarding against the first line. This section of players would have a huge say in our fate. But this array is so flexible that it really isn't anything to worry about.

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 05-18-2004 at 02:46 AM.
Old
05-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Why is RPM the third line? Why should that line even exist? We're a better team than that now. York should be on the wing and so should Hemsky, both top six, I'm not sure exactly who's doing the pushing out in your way of thinking, I'm assuming it's Torres. Torres should be allowed to play in the role that allows him to be most effective for the team. 3rd line. He can pop 25 from there and drive opponents nuts. Of course I'm going for the 3 scoring lines approach, which may not be what you're goin for.

I still say my top 3 lines are something like:

Hemsky-Nedved-Dvorak

In the next two lines, I have six guys. Ryan Smyth, Mike York, Marty Reasoner, Jarret Stoll, Raffi Torres, and my acquired scorer. Ethan Moreau would also be used in here as a rotation guy for situational circumstances.Organzing these into 2 lines however is very difficult. I'd rather almost move them around alot. Basically, Marty and Jarret are the centers of course, 2-line and 3-line respectively. York and Smyth on the same line with Marty for certain games, but usually not together. York-Reasoner-(Scorer) would probably work, as would (Scorer)-Reasoner-Smyth. On days when we're really going for the kill, I suppose even (Scorer)-York-Smyth with Jarret shifting to wing and Marty moving down a line would work out. Extreme depth in the 4-9 forward slots allows us to constantly have the opponents on the ropes, by either allowing the first line to run wild after the 2 and 3 run down the opponents, or by lighting up the opposition that is dedicated to guarding against the first line. This section of players would have a huge say in our fate. But this array is so flexible that it really isn't anything to worry about.
I have to agree with this here. Barring a trade I think it would be the best way to go for the team. I think Isbister playing is more useful than having Chimera play wing, until he proves otherwise. York is better on wing, and Torres is a perfect fit for the 3rd line.
York-Nedved-Dvorak
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Torres-Reasoner-Pisani/Isbister
Moreau-Stoll-Isbister/Laraque

Obviously a two for one deal or one of these guys used to move up in the draft would make things so much easier, but with what we have those would be my lines.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:33 AM
dawgbone

Torres Nedved Dvorak
Smyth Horcoff/Reasoner Pisani
Moreau Horcoff/Reasoner/Stoll York
Chimera/Isbister Stoll/Horcoff Hemsky

Hemsky doesn't budge from the 4th line or the roadrunners until he can stop killing the play.

Reasoner is either the 2nd line centre or the 3rd line centre depending on how he is playing. Horcoff can play centre on lines 2-4 and Stoll gets line 3-4.

I don't see how you can break apart Smyth-Horcoff-Pisani, unless it is to put Reasoner there, as that line was huge for us, so why not try and re-kindle that spark?

I also think you need to see if Moreau can build on last year, so you put York with him and that also makes a pretty decent line in your own end too... giving you 2 lines you can match up against any teams top line, letting you put the Nedved line out there against the other teams lower lines.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Since this has kinda migrated into a future lines thread...

Torres Nedved Hemsky(provided Nedved stays)

I know Hemsky might not deserve it, but he IS the most talented young player we have and I'm curious to see how he'd mesh with a scoring center. Torres is there for physical presence and board work. I know Dvo has chemistry with Nedved, but he also has good chem with York...and to be honest, I liked Dvorak more when he was with York than when he was with Nedved...he seemed a bit more defensively responsible on York's line.

After that, it's just a Rubik's Cube. Most of these guys could play anywhere from 2nd to 4th line and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I'd like to see how Reasoner's recovered from that knee injury before I start throwing him into any fantasy line combinations as well.

Last edited by Digger12: 05-18-2004 at 10:05 AM.
Old
05-18-2004, 10:06 AM
dawgbone

The only problem with Torres-Nedved-Hemsky is that they will get absolutely killed by the oppositions top lines.

It'll revert back to the days where Weight sat on the bench because Hitch would double and triple shift Modanno to keep him off the ice.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

You could be right, but I'd still like to see them at least try it, see how it works. Maybe THEY'D kill the other team's top lines, crazier things have happened. Not much crazier, but still...

Old
05-18-2004, 11:42 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
No, because even if they scored a couple goals a game, they'd still probably be a -1 by the end of the night - and we all know they aren't going to score every game. One of York or Dvorak or Smyth needs to be on that line.

Old
05-18-2004, 12:47 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
No, because even if they scored a couple goals a game, they'd still probably be a -1 by the end of the night - and we all know they aren't going to score every game. One of York or Dvorak or Smyth needs to be on that line.
Bingo...

I mean Torres isn't bad defensively, but he's still young and learning the NHL game. Hemsky can be good defensively when he wants to, but once again, he is young and is learning. Nedved is average defensively at best, but he can bear down and make the good play (blocked shot in OT)... but that line would scare me a lot if it was on the ice.

Closed Thread