HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Brooks thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Hockeybird

vCash: 500
Larry Brooks thread

Hey guys and Gals,

Someone in the closed Brooks thread asked about Rummy and Sather as lookalikes. I asked that question of Larry brooks the first time I interviewed him on Hockeybird.

Link

Check out the silly image.

----}-

Old
05-16-2004, 04:04 PM
karl_hungus

Speaking of Brooks...whats up with his latest article? I just went to check it out and it was titled "Blueshirt Brat 'Pack" and it's an article about A-Rod written by Lin Goodman...last week he mentions Holmqvist and now this! He's finally gone off the deep end.

Old
05-16-2004, 04:52 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_hungus
Speaking of Brooks...whats up with his latest article? I just went to check it out and it was titled "Blueshirt Brat 'Pack" and it's an article about A-Rod written by Lin Goodman...last week he mentions Holmqvist and now this! He's finally gone off the deep end.
Nah, I read it in the print edition. He apologized for Lundqvist/Holmqvist brain fart last week.

It's just an incorrect link courtesy of NYPOSTonline.

He basically said that IF there's a lockout the Rangers might benefit because all our prospects might become a team playing together in Hartford next year with McGill as coach (to be Ranger coach after lockout). Of course, he's assuming that our European prospects would play in Hartford and not Europe. VERY BIG ASSUMPTION.

Last edited by klingsor: 05-16-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Old
05-16-2004, 07:43 PM
vbox81

Amazing, my avatar has become an international phenomenon! Finally I did something famous (to us pathetic geeks)!

Old
05-16-2004, 08:30 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Nah, I read it in the print edition. He apologized for Lundqvist/Holmqvist brain fart last week.

It's just an incorrect link courtesy of NYPOSTonline.

He basically said that IF there's a lockout the Rangers might benefit because all our prospects might become a team playing together in Hartford next year with McGill as coach (to be Ranger coach after lockout). Of course, he's assuming that our European prospects would play in Hartford and not Europe. VERY BIG ASSUMPTION.
What I found most interesting is that after he mentions the core in Hartford, he names only three veterans as joining that core in NY after the lockout is over - Jagr, Holik and Kasparitis. Notice any glaring names missing? How about Poti and Lundmark? I remain convinced both Poti and Lundmark are involved in draft day trades.

Old
05-16-2004, 08:42 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
What I found most interesting is that after he mentions the core in Hartford, he names only three veterans as joining that core in NY after the lockout is over - Jagr, Holik and Kasparitis. Notice any glaring names missing? How about Poti and Lundmark? I remain convinced both Poti and Lundmark are involved in draft day trades.
You coud be right jas, as both guys have tradeable contracts. Hard to move the three you mentioned.

Then again, Brooks may have just forgotten Poti and Lundmark.

Old
05-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Synergy27

Do any of you put any stock in Uncle Larry's prediction that the Rangers will draft Stafford at No. 6? He hasn't really been talked about too much, everyone seems to be looking more towards Schremp or Ladd. I would have to guess that he's wrong on this one, we already have decent depth at RW with Balej and Jessiman. Slats is known for his croneyism though, so I guess I wouldnt be surprised if this went down.

This is my first post here by the way, hi everyone.

Old
05-16-2004, 09:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
You coud be right jas, as both guys have tradeable contracts. Hard to move the three you mentioned.

Then again, Brooks may have just forgotten Poti and Lundmark.

In an interview with Joe Beningo of WFAN, towards the end of the season, Brooks said he thought Lundmark would traded in the off-season. I know TB keeps disagreeing with me, but I really think Sather has tired of Poti, and will look to find a new home for him. With new found depth at both center and mobile defenseman, Poti and Lundmark, while perhaps not expendable, are at least, let's say, available. Plus, I doubt Sather will keep all six (or possibly seven) of the picks he has in the first two rounds. I realy think he's going to target a player like Olesz, grab an additional first pick, and try to move up from wherever Toronto's #1 turns out to be into the mid-teens. It wouldn't shock me to see the Rangers come away with two top-six caliber wingers and a top pairing d-man in the first round on draft day.

Old
05-16-2004, 09:13 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
Do any of you put any stock in Uncle Larry's prediction that the Rangers will draft Stafford at No. 6? He hasn't really been talked about too much, everyone seems to be looking more towards Schremp or Ladd. I would have to guess that he's wrong on this one, we already have decent depth at RW with Balej and Jessiman. Slats is known for his croneyism though, so I guess I wouldnt be surprised if this went down.

Actually, Stafford is also listed in some places as a center. And, I've read good things about him various places. If, perhaps, the 'Yotes grab Ladd at #5, I could see Stafford being the choice, especially since he fits the big, good skater with character mold that the Rangers have been targetting the last three years.

Old
05-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Actually, Stafford is also listed in some places as a center. And, I've read good things about him various places. If, perhaps, the 'Yotes grab Ladd at #5, I could see Stafford being the choice, especially since he fits the big, good skater with character mold that the Rangers have been targetting the last three years.
I don't want Stafford, I want Olesz, we should do whatever it takes to get this guy. Olesz will be a star someday.

Old
05-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27

Where did Brooks say that the Rangers will pick Stafford at #6?

Old
05-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Where did Brooks say that the Rangers will pick Stafford at #6?
In today's Post. I would put the link up but there is something messed up with their website, it links to an A-Rod article, so you'd have to check the print version. He talks about Stafford's uncle being the equipment manager for Edmonton, insinuating that this might somehow cause Slats to lean towards drafting the guy. Who knows...

Old
05-16-2004, 11:23 PM
NYR2

I have the Post and typed it up if anyone wants to read it.

BLUESHIRT BRAT 'PACK

Of all NHL clubs, the Rangers stand to benefit the most in the event of a lockout. Not from a fiscal standpoint, but from a team development perspective. A significantly delayed or altogether canceled 2004-05 NHL season would give the Rangers a full one-year head start, with almost their entire squad eligible to play in Hartford.

Think of it. In the event of a lockout, the Wolf Pack could open the season with both Dan Blackburn and Henrik Lundqvist (yes, Lundqvist, with apologies to all; may I now remove the dunce cap I've been wearing since absent-mindedly referring to the netminder as former Blueshirt Johan Holmqvist on Tuesday?) in nets; Fedor Tyutin, Thomas Pock, Maxim Kondratiev, Bryce Lampman, David Liffiton and Lawrence Nycholat on defense; and Hugh Jessiman, Jozef Balej, Jarkko Immonen, Blair Betts, Ryan Hollweg, Garth Murray, Dominic Moore, and (pending a favorable eligibility ruling from the NHL) Jed Ortmeyer up front.

This, if the Rangers are very smart and very lucky, would only be about their whole team whenever the league reopens; this plus Bobby Holik, Jaromir Jagr and Darius Kasparaitis, maybe a couple of supplementary veteran additions, and eventually this year's No. 1 and other drafts. This group is the future - if there's going to be one. And the Rangers, uniquely so among the NHL clubs, will have their nucleus intact, playing and developing, albeit in Hartford, developing together.

And this is also all the more reason why Glen Sather should give all the more consideration to giving Wolf Pack coach Ryan McGill the job on Broadway. He's essentially going to be coaching the Rangers, anyway. In fact, if Sather does indeed hire McGill, the GM should announce that McGill will coach the Hartford AHL Rangers in the event of lockout and will take over the Manhattan NHL Rangers as soon the NHL resumes operation. Presuming that Sather would retain and jointly promote assistant Nick Fotiu with McGill, Hartford GM Jim Schoenfeld could fill the coaching vacancy if McGill were to depart in the middle of the year.

Other team think they're going to eventually hit financial bonanza as a result of the lockout. Ironically enough, the team most often blamed for creating the alleged conditions the owners claim make a lockout necessary, stands to benefit the most on ice.

~

If all else is equal, the Rangers have reason to lean toward North Dakota freshman winger Drew Stafford with the sixth overall pick in next month's draft. Stafford's uncle, Barrie, is head equipment manager for the Oilers and served under Sather. What's more, Stafford's dad, Gord, hails from Banff, and played a couple of years in the early '80s for Edmonton's CHL club in Wichita, signed to his first pro contract by Sather.

Thing is though, the kid, who attended Shattuck-St. Mary's High - the same school that produced Zach Parise and Sidney Crosby - can play, Banffism aside.

Old
05-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Hockeybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
Amazing, my avatar has become an international phenomenon! Finally I did something famous (to us pathetic geeks)!

I hate to burst your bubble but the Brooks interview I did is quite old, so the Sather - Rummy connection is not new.

Old
05-17-2004, 11:24 PM
Edge

I think the Rangers will look at Stafford but it's not going to be at number 6, that much I am about as positive as positive can be.

I could see them thinking highly enough of him to maybe move into the teens, but I just can't see him going at 6 to the Rangers.

Old
05-18-2004, 12:22 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeybird
Hey guys and Gals,

Someone in the closed Brooks thread asked about Rummy and Sather as lookalikes. I asked that question of Larry brooks the first time I interviewed him on Hockeybird.

Link

Check out the silly image.

----}-
Hmmm... Maybe so... I think the deciding factor is that Sather doesn't have blood stains of 1,000's of innocent human beings on his hands...

Closed Thread