HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2010 DRAFT Part I

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2010, 07:15 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Eh, whatever. 70s was going through newspaper articles and found one that said Smaill had an "off colour" game. Every player has had a bad game and I'm sure you can find a quote about almost every player in this having a bad game. When I post the updated Smaill profile in the bio section, I'll just remove the "off colour" quote and the interpretation of it as meaning Smaill played rough (there are already quotes that indicate he played rough).
Exactly.

Old
07-04-2010, 07:16 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

The Eagles draft Serge Bernier.

WHA All-Star Second Team: 1974-75
WHA All-Star Game: 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979
WHA Avco Trophy: 1977 (Quebec)
WHA Playoffs MVP: 1977 (Quebec)
WHA Playoffs Points Leader: 1977 (Quebec) (36 points)

Goals

1974-75 WHA 54 (2)
1976-77 WHA 43 (10)
1978-79 WHA 36 (10)

Assists

1974-75 WHA 68 (4)
1975-76 WHA 68 (9)
1978-79 WHA 46 (10)

1973-74 WHA 86 (9)
1974-75 WHA 122 (3)
1975-76 WHA 102 (9)
1976-77 WHA 96 (10)
Career WHA 566 (4)

Quote:
Right-winger Serge Bernier was a fine playmaker and scorer in the NHL who became an explosive force with the WHA's Quebec Nordiques. He was a good skater whose 190-pound frame allowed him to stand his ground in front of the net.

Bernier impressed with 23 goals as a Philadelphia rookie in 1970-71 playing with Jim Johnson and Bill Lesuk. The talented forward was traded in 1971-72 to the L.A. Kings in the deal that brought Bill Flett and Ross Lonsberry to the Flyers. Bernier register a career high 68 points for the Kings in 1972-73 before jumping to the WHA.

The high-flying Nordiques were the perfect fit for Bernier. He represented Canada at the 1974 Summit Series versus the USSR and scored 54 goals in 1974-75 when he teamed with Rejean Houle and Michel Parizeau. Bernier was placed on the WHA second all-star team and was a hero at Le Colisee. The next season he led all playoff scorers 14 goals and 36 points as the Nords won the Avco Cup. Following the victory he was named the most valuable player in the playoffs.

Bernier continued to be force for Quebec through the 1978-79 season and was retained by the franchise when it merged with the NHL in 1979-80. Bernier battled assorted injuries and was more of a role player for the club before announcing his retirement in 1981.

Old
07-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Leafs Forever

Sorry, misread the clock.

We'll take defenseman [B]Dale Tallon[/B with our first pick. We'll make our other pick later.

Old
07-04-2010, 07:55 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
Sorry, misread the clock.

We'll take defenseman [B]Dale Tallon[/B with our first pick. We'll make our other pick later.
And the list of top-pairing AAA defensemen just got one shorter.

Gawd, who on earth are we going to take?

Old
07-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I believe we're up. 4 picks

Baltimore Skipjacks select

Mike Krushelnyski, F

Bryan Berard, D

Anze Kopitar, C

Red Berenson, Coach

Old
07-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
And the list of top-pairing AAA defensemen just got one shorter.

Gawd, who on earth are we going to take?
Bert Robertsson - Steve Halko

Old
07-04-2010, 08:35 PM
tony d
Summer Camp

Away for the weekend but back now and will make the following selctions:

Ted Irvine (LW)

and

Mark Napier (RW)

Will have more details on both in the morning.

Old
07-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Leafs Forever

To make up for that earlier pick, we'll take second team AST and stanley cup winner, goaltender Earl Robertson

Old
07-05-2010, 12:14 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
To make up for that earlier pick, we'll take second team AST and stanley cup winner, goaltender Earl Robertson
Not to mention, top-5 in hart voting twice.

Old
07-05-2010, 12:29 AM
jarek

Technically, LF was skipped just before he picked his goaltender, so we'll take C/RW Jimmy Herberts, and I'll let TDMM make the other pick later.

Old
07-05-2010, 01:58 AM
Leafs Forever

We'll finish off withdefenceman Adrian Aucoin (two top 10 norris finishes- 5th and 8th) and right winger Bill Flett

Old
07-05-2010, 02:01 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
Technically, LF was skipped just before he picked his goaltender, so we'll take C/RW Jimmy Herberts, and I'll let TDMM make the other pick later.
no, ZM was skipped and LF made his first pick 8 minutes into his clock. Regardless, you are free to pick now that they have made their first pick, as per the rules. (if anyone wants to prevent that happening, all they have to do is post both picks together!)

Old
07-05-2010, 02:18 AM
EagleBelfour

Reg Hamilton, D
Andre Pronovost, LW

Old
07-05-2010, 02:33 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
We'll finish off withdefenceman Adrian Aucoin (two top 10 norris finishes- 5th and 8th) and right winger Bill Flett
There's the other "unfairly maligned modern defenseman" I almost took. Unfortunately, with McCabe and Redden in my lineup, I just couldn't take more of the same flavour (and modernness) Aucoin brought. He's good, though - I'd have taken him as a #1 in the AAA draft without hesitation.

Old
07-05-2010, 02:37 AM
seventieslord

Looks like MadArcand and tony d are up, since they came in and made up their skipped picks.

Old
07-05-2010, 05:19 AM
seventieslord

With the 82nd pick in MLD2010, The Regina Capitals are pleased to select:

Viktor Tikhonov, Coach

- Member of the IIHF HOF
- Member of the USSR HOF
- 13 straight Soviet titles (1978-1989)
- 8 World Championship Gold Medals (1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1990)
- 3 Olympic Gold Medals (1984, 1988, 1992)
- Challenge Cup Champion (1979)
- Canada Cup Champion (1981)
- 657-248-125 Domestic Record (.698)*
- 147-23-12 "Big-Game" International Record (.840)*
- 191-21-19 "Other" International Record (.868)*

*through 1997-98. direct me to updated stats panel if possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Of the Ice
Many remembered Viktor Tikhonov as a slave driver who endeavored to squeeze the most out of his subordinates for the sake of victory. Yet Tikhonov maintained the same standard for himself... Tikhonov expected the same dogged determination from the players he coached as he displayed... Tikhonov placed heavy emphasis on the ability of a player to work hard and to persevere and on a player's will to succeed. Preference is given to physical conditioning during workouts, even more than tactical and technical maneuvers... "I once asked a colleague how many defense systems he knew," Tikhonov recalls. "He replied, 'two.' But I know more, and a whole lot of variants."

Over the life of his coaching career, he's seen very few changes. In the first half of the 1970s, he was extremely popular in the Soviet Union. At that time he coached the provincial Riga team and was able to drag it out of the cellar of the league and all the way to fourth place. The state then gave him its blessing to take total control of the CSKA club and the USSR national team.

Tikhonov can't be compared with any of the coaches who worked during the same era. No other coach, whether in the Soviet Union, Canada, Czechoslovakia, or Sweden, acquired such national prominence. No one else was given such a clean slate to rebuild a team from the ground up. Tikhonov could only be compared with Anatoly Tarasov - the previous "monarch", who in essence wielded the same power and enjoyed the same rights.

Viktor Tikhonov is still plying his trade, turning down all other offers... Today it is with a sense of pleasure that he recalls how he managed to outstrip his competitors by about a decade back in those "golden years". He points out that NHL scouts prefer to see his weaker CSKA team than the provincial teams that are higher in the Russian standings. "The scouts are interested in whether I have thought up something new. yes - I have - you can be sure of that!"
Igor Larionov pulled no punches in his autobiography in 1990, yet, he could not deny Tikhonov's greatness:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov
For nine years I was under the charge of... this man "Tikanoff" as they pronounce his name abroad... In May of 1989, makarov, Krutov, Bykov and I took part in a sports TV show "Arena". the conversation was sharp, touching on the impending problems and recent conflicts. In the course of this talk I named Tikhonov as a "talented coach". After that, friends and acquaintances who had seen it fell upon me. How could I make such compliments? I want to be objective. there had been some pluses.

...The Dynamo Riga team stood 14th when he took it. In his third year there it finished first and was promoted to the first division where it finished fourth in 1976... He brought with him the concept of using a fourth line, a total preoccupation with physical preparation, and an insane tempo which was in force for all three periods. This, too, he developed in Riga, where the team battled as if it were a matter of life and death, sometimes even beating the Moscow clubs.

...He did not spare himself, give him that. He worked nights on end without sleep, watching video tapes of the matches, twisting this way and that, analyzing them. You cannot take that away from him. I will not take away all the coaching talent of Tikhonov, by no means.

But the backside of the coin was his fanaticism. His was a constant round-the-clock vigil. Every action was aimed and justified by his interpretation of the single aim - victory - everything, including his inhumane conduct.

He records everything that is possible, forever writing in thick notebooks. And probably the thickest of these notes are concerned with the physical, the conditioning of the player. He supervises this aspect as one would take care of a child. I agree it is an important part of the preparation, but surely not to the repression of all else. He is not a man who likes change in this area, preferring to stay with the system he has used for years to get his players into top shape. If it is not his way, then it must not be the right way.

...Apparently he got used to having us at hand like a magic wand, and the rest did not worry him. He got lucky with us. He put together a line, and it worked from the beginning. He did not change anyone, he did not shuffle us. How would you call it? He hit the bull's eye with the first shot.

...A coach. How can one evaluate a person in this most interesting profession? Talented toiler, psychologist, teacher, theoretician, tactician... all of these things he must be in varying degrees. How would I evaluate Tikhonov? I cannot immediately define him. I cannot doubt his services in certain areas. Tikhonov strived to resolve everything himelf. His hands were unfettered, and as a coach he could do absolutely everything that was combined as necessary for the club or the National team. He broke through problems in the offices of superiors. Not everyone knew how to do this, for it demanded a particular talent. But with that talent our coach was strengthened and even without it he exercised an enormous power over us hockey players.

He knew how to place himself on top, in the CSRA, in Goskomsport, the governing body of all Soviet sport, so that they gave him unlimited power. He knew how to use that time, those structures, to bring the team together, and with that team to win. He knew how to select people for the team, although it was not that complicated when everything was under his hands, when he had unlimited opportunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretzky to Lemieux: The story of the 1987 Canada Cup
To the players on Team Canada and virtually every other hockey fan in North America, the Soviets were still the automatons from the Evil Empire; a soulless collection of robots who'd been programmed to excel by the black genius Tikhonov.

"All that I know of myself is that nothing was ever given me without effort, not when I first stepped out on the ice or now when I am carrying the coach's burden," Tikhonov said. "Stubborn labour, self-sacrifice, fanatical devotion to a favoured activity, tireless perfection of athletic professionalist - these are, in my understanding, the key to success for every hockey player and every athlete. And these principles I always and everywhere defend." As mentioned, a good-time Charlie he wasn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Machine
In 1962, Chernyshev was looking for an assistant and asked Tikhonov, who impressed him as being a most serious student of the game... He became a full-time assistant, learning under the esteemed master. By 1968, the ambitious Tikhonov felt he was ready to coach his own club, but the best offer he could get was a second-division team in Riga. The offer wasn't much - an unknown, dog-division team in a hostile city. But Tikhonov accepted the challenge. He was a man consumed by hockey. For him, it was like gambling or alcoholism, an addiction. He had to win and win again - and keep winning. In Riga, he soon whipped up a win-at-all-costs mentality, as if his lowly team was fighting for the elite league crown. Pushing on his players the priorities of speed, discipline and creativity, he saw them begin to make progress. For most coaches, it would take a lifetime to make the advances that he made with the Riga team within five years.

Once in the elite division, Tikhonov's team didn't fare so well. No degree of coaching genius could compensate for the deficiencies of a team with only one real star, Balderis.

...To his disciplinarian mindset was added some room for creativity. He was experimental enough to move to four lines and he didn't try to shackle his players to a system where their individual talents couldn't flower... Few accused Tikhonov of not knowing how to use talent and no one accused him of not working hard enough. Although many players like Balderis would come to despise him, they continued, strangely, to play extremely well under him. He made many of them so bitter, it seemed, that they became determined to prove themselves - to show him.

(In the 1979 Challenge Cup) Tikhonov tried to create a relaxed atmosphere for the team in The Big Apple. The players saw the movie Superman, though most couldn't understand English. They attended an NBA game between the Knicks and the Supersonics. And, in their Manhattan hotel rooms, they had their choice of X-rated movies: "Hot Times", "The Fruit Is Ripe", or "Maid In Sweden".

Tikhonov showed boldness as a coach. In the decisive game, he had put Vladimir Myshkin in goal for Tretiak, and Myshkin scored the shutout. Tikhonov also inserted the kid line of Makarov, ******* and ******** for the last game, and all three sparkled. "On the defence we told our players to keep closer to their opponents to prevent them from capitalizing on rebounds. On the attack we instructed them to make unexpected, concealed shots." He made a significant summation of developments in the different hockey worlds. "In the contest of two styles of hockey - the fast, combinational Soviet style and the tough, sometimes cruel North American one - victory went to our more progressive style. I have no doubt that, from now on in North America, more attention will be paid to the game and less to battles on ice."

...(by 1983) The Russian streak, with the one glaring interruption at the 1980 Olympics, had actually extended over six years without a tournament loss, going back to Tikhonov's first defeat as coach at the 1977 Izvestia tournament. In addition to his achievements with the national team, Tikhonov's Central Army club had perennially won the Soviet championship. The coach thus had a ready answer for any critics - the scoreboard. The only victory run that could begin to compare was Tarasov's stretch through the 1960s. But there was no competition against NHL pros at the time. The extent of the Soviet talent was such, it could be argued, that any good coach could have accomplished the same and maybe added the 1980 gold to the Soviet pile. The Swedes, the Finns and the Czechs had been losing many of their best players to the NHL. Canadian teams sent to the worlds were comprised of only the stars from the NHL dregs. But the Russians also beat the best of the pros in the decisive matches of 1979 and 1981, and in super series games. moreover, to win as consistently as Tikhonov did in those years, even against weaker, international competition, was something that few other coaches could likely have accomplished. The law of averages dictated that there would be more off-days, more upsets, more times when the opposing team got extraordinary goaltending or was phenomenally lucky. But Tikhonov's team defied the law of averages in those years. No team was supposed to be that hot.

It was Tikhonov, too, who had a hockey eye judicious enough to put the Larionov five together. The unlikely idea of the Little Larionov between Krutov and the smallish Makarov was something another national team coach might not have even been tempted to try. It turned out to be a piece of coaching brilliance. None of the five players on the unit could point to anything that Tikhonov actually taught that improved their game. But bringing them together and leaving them together to develop a degree of cohesiveness seldom seen was art enough. NHL coaches, not imaginative enough to try the five-man system, have rarely demonstrated the patience to go with a three-man forward line for as long as Tikhonov went with a five-man unit.

Old
07-05-2010, 08:31 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Texas selects underappreciated speedy Joe Juneau, who averaged 50+ assists per season his first five years at left wing, including twice top-10 in assists, before transforming into a more defensively oriented player.

Quote:
... a good playmaker that was a strong presence in back to back Stanley Cup finals, 1998 with Washington and 1999 with Buffalo... rounding out his game and becoming a very versatile player... became a key penalty killer and checker. He underwent an interesting transformation from scoring star to a jack-of-all-trades utility player noted for his work ethic and strong defensive play. While his scoring totals diminished, his hockey sense remained as strong as always.
- holds the NHL record for most assists by a left winger: 70 (in his 102-point 1992/93 rookie season, runner-up for the Calder trophy)
- 1992 Olympics top scorer (15 pts in 8 games) and silver medalist
- two-time NCAA all-star (1990, 1991)

and an impressive first 8 years of his NHL career:

Offensive years in Boston: 193 points in 161 NHL games (18 pts in 19 playoff games)
Two-way clutch in Washington: 234 points in 312 NHL games (41 pts in 43 playoff games, scored 4 playoff GWGs - 2 of them in OT - in their Stanley Cup finals run)
Two-way clutch in Buffalo: Only 9 regular season games, but... (11 points in 20 playoff games, Stanley Cup finals appearance)

all in all, even including his thirtysomething end-of-career years, a very good 79 points in 112 career NHL playoff games

Quote:
...with the Caps he became a more versatile player...a solid two-way player
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=10744
http://washingtoncapitalslegends.blo...oe-juneau.html

His exceptional first year blinded too many "fans" to the fact that his best years of hockey were in Washington and that he did get better and better overall as a player up until he was 30, perhaps even 31 years old (Buffalo Stanley Cup run) and that he should not be remembered only for his rookie season nor for how he played as a 35 and 36 year old Hab. A pet peeve. A very underrated, misjudged player.

Old
07-05-2010, 08:44 AM
tony d
Summer Camp

With our final 2 picks the Hurricanes are proud to select:

Silas Griffis (Rover)- Listed as A Rover but I hope he fulfills the 13th forward spot.

Flat Walsh (Goalie)

I'll have details on all these new players a bit later.

Old
07-05-2010, 08:48 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Silas Griffis
If only!

Si Griffis went 209th overall in the ATD 2010.

Re-pick needed.

Old
07-05-2010, 08:49 AM
tony d
Summer Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
If only!

Si Griffis went 209th overall in the ATD 2010.

Re-pick needed.
Sorry about that, must have typed in Silas, give me a few minutes.

Old
07-05-2010, 09:05 AM
tony d
Summer Camp

Don't think he's been picked but with our final pick we select Roxy Beaudro (Right Wing)

As I said I'll be back a bit later to describe the past 4 picks.

Old
07-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Texas also selects Juneau's coach from that Stanley Cup Finals run in 1999, Lindy Ruff, the 2006 Jack Adams trophy winner, 2010 Olympic Gold medalist associate coach, 3rd all-time in games coached with a franchise (984), 4th in career wins with one franchise (483), just behind Arbour, Reay and Blake.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/6930087.php?
Excuse me, but Lindy Ruff was picked in the ATD

553. DoMakc - Green Bay Gamblers - Lindy Ruff, coach

Old
07-05-2010, 09:35 AM
markrander87

Sorry about the lack of activity from the Huskies, I know that both Stalberg and I have been extremely busy with work commitments and as for myself I will be able to research and make up picks after my licensing exam Wednesday.

Old
07-05-2010, 09:40 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Texas selects Bryan Murray, who coached a team to the Memorial Cup finals, then the following stint was named AHL coach of the year, then won the 1984 Jack Adams trophy during his nine-year stretch in Washington, all in all leading three different NHL teams to divisional titles, winning eight playoff series and making one run to the Stanley Cup Finals, 6th all-time with 620 regular season wins. All that's missing is a ring.

Old
07-05-2010, 10:15 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Rob Niedermayer, C/RW
Jan Starsi, coach

Closed Thread