HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2010 DRAFT Part I

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2010, 09:14 AM
markrander87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Now there's a good pick, I heavily considered taking him in the ATD, but went with Vyacheslav Bykov instead.

Kudos, Stalberg!
...........And markrander haha jk, thanks a lot for the props though.

Old
06-16-2010, 09:16 AM
raleh

Search function might be not working, but I sincerely doubt this guy is gone:

In sticking with the system of the big club (loading the wings with goal scorers who don't back check)

The first Bunny will be LW John Ogrodnick. Hooray!

Last edited by raleh: 06-16-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old
06-16-2010, 10:05 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
chaos is here anyway, so I guess I'll announce our pick. Certainly one of the most significant players in history left, though there are concerns about his level of competition, which I am going to try to put into perspective.

The Brooklyn Americans select the captain and best player of the best national team in the world in the 1940s:

Vladimir Zabrodsky, C

The Best Czech Hockey player of the Century:
voted by 50 experts, played-out pros, coaches and refs.

1. DOMINIK HAŠEK 472
2. JAROMÍR JÁGR 357
3. VLADIMÍR ZÁBRODSKÝ 240
4. VLADIMÍR MARTINEC 235
5. IVAN HLINKA 181
6. XXX 160
7. JAN SUCHÝ 154
8. JIŘÍ HOLÍK 136
9. XXX 121
10. VÁCLAV NEDOMANSKÝ 98
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=208

Zabrodsky is basically the Bobrov of Czechoslovakia. In the late 1940s, Czechoslovakia was looking to become Canada’s main rival in the world of hockey, and Zabrodsky was by far their best player. Czechoslovakia won the 1947 and 49 World Championships and got the silver medal in the 1948 Olympics, after tying Canada’s record and losing out narrowly on goal differential. Zabrodsky was still the leading scorer at the 1948 Olympics, however.

Briefly, here are events that help explain why the USSR and not Czechoslovakia started to emerge as Canada’s principal rival in the 1950s:

1. Zabrodsky’s club team traveled to the USSR in 1948 to help the Soviets develop their hockey.

2. After the Czechs helped to develop Soviet hockey, the Soviets set about undermining the Czech team. First was a mysterious plane crash over the USSR in 1948, then most of the national team (minus Zabrodsky) was arrested for treason in 1950 by the puppet government in Czechoslovakia.

http://www.nphu.com/2009/07/07/history-of-hockey/

Czechoslovakian team jailed for treason – entire generation lostl

Here is information on Zabrodsky himself:

Conclusion:
I think that there is a lot of evidence that Czech hockey in the late 40s was at the same level as Soviet hockey through much of the 1950s. We give Soviet standouts from the 1950s the benefit of the doubt; we should do the same for Zabrodsky, who I think is likely very comparable to Bobrov in terms of talent, in other words an elite scorer at the MLD level. If jarek has time, he can use his magical SIHR membership to show just how dominant Zabrodsky was statistically, but the quotes I provided above are a good start.
hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
With our first pick, the Belleville Bulls will select:

C: Josef Malecek

Some of the following statistics are incomplete, this is only what is known. There is likely more not known.

Czech League 1921-1948: 344-987-45-1032 -12-time leading scorer, 12 league championships
Exhibition games in Europe: 43-73-6-79
National Team: 71-117-7-114
Spengler Cup: 20-36-11-47-2 - 2-time leading scorer, 2 championships
European Championships: 25-28-3-31 - 2-time leading scorer, 3 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze
World Championships: 51-50-15-65-8 - 3-time leading scorer, 3 Bronze
Olympic Games: 13-13-5-18 - Earned points on 18 of his team's 33 goals over three Olympics.

Totals, for fun:
567-1304-92-1396-10

** Credit to SeventiesLord and Nalyd for the Bio
If you're going to quote me, please quote me from MLD11 and not MLD9. I am not a Malecek fan at all. It became clear to me last draft that the level of competition that he faced was nothing special and he was usually no better than Canadian amateurs.

I like Zabrodsky better, but I'm not sure how much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Charlotte Clippers select RW Viktor Shalimov

IIHF Top Forward: 1982
IIHF Top Scorer: 1975 (points and goals), 1982 (goals)
USSR Top Scorer: 1976 (goals)
USSR All Star: 1976, 1982
USSR Best Line: 1976, 1980

USSR International Games: 126GP, 66G
USSR League Games: 572GP, 293G

Tied for leading scorer at 1976 Olympics with 10pts (5G, 5A) in 5 games

EagleBelfour has been PM'd
Excellent pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
With our NEW first selection, the 10th overall in this year Minor League Draft, Les As de Québec are proud to select Monsieur Hamilton Livingstone Gilmour

Position: Right Wing
Shoots: Right
Date of Birth: March 21, 1885
Place of Birth: Ottawa , Ontario, Canada
Date of Death: March 13, 1959 (Age: 73)
Still not sure what makes this guy an early MLD pick... I'd love to have him on my 4th line though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalberg View Post
The Huskies are pleased to select RW, BIll Goldsworthy.

I thought about making a bio, but couldn't really put it together any better than this seventies one I came accross, would have just been typing out the exact same stuff:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=719

Hopefully there is more to find.
Very solid pick. He'll be one of the better wingers in the MLD. Not a great defensive player but a strong goalscorer and a rambunctious forechecker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
the cornwall royals are pleased to select...

vasili pervukhin (d)

i'll post some additional info when i get a chance
I knew he'd be taken right away.

Old
06-16-2010, 10:08 AM
seventieslord

by the way, guys, let's not criticize VI's criticizing. He has a vested interest in this MLD, like me, and he doesn't want to see players he feels are questionable get taken so early and becoming canonized in the MLD. I'll be just as critical, if not more. If that causes people to think twice the next time, mission accomplished.

It didn't work for the Malecek pick, though..... ugh.

I don't have my USB cable here, and my ATD file is on my phone. I need that to be able to be sure of who is left. So please skip me. I'll pick later today.

Old
06-16-2010, 10:48 AM
seventieslord

Mike Keane? Sure, excellent MLD 3rd/4th liner. Even could have been an ATD pick like he usually was. But does that mean you should make him your first pick? the other teams are building first lines and you're (assumedly) building a 3rd/4th line. Even if you fundamentally disagree with that and think that Keane was among the very best all-time players all-around, wouldn't you strategically want to wait until later on, like at least round 7?

Keane is one of those guys that, if he drops from the ATD, should become a mid-round MLD pick because his limited offense makes him strictly a bottom-six player.

Old
06-16-2010, 10:49 AM
raleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Mike Keane? Sure, excellent MLD 3rd/4th liner. Even could have been an ATD pick like he usually was. But does that mean you should make him your first pick? the other teams are building first lines and you're (assumedly) building a 3rd/4th line. Even if you fundamentally disagree with that and think that Keane was among the very best all-time players all-around, wouldn't you strategically want to wait until later on, like at least round 7?

Keane is one of those guys that, if he drops from the ATD, should become a mid-round MLD pick because his limited offense makes him strictly a bottom-six player.
Mike Keane: The Claude Provost of the MLD

Old
06-16-2010, 11:36 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post

vasili pervukhin (d)

i'll post some additional info when i get a chance
This is a very good pick and we were hoping he'd fall to the next round. There's a chance that he was the best combination of peak and longevity left among defensemen.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:15 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8476
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
With their first selection in the MLD, the Philadelphia Blazers are happy to select G Mike Karakas

1x NHL 2nd-Team All Star
7x Top 6 in Wins
5x Top 5 GAA
6x Top 5 Shutouts

Quote:
Mike Karakas was the first American-born goalie to star in the NHL. He was lauded for having one of the quickest glove hands in hockey along with outstanding balance. In eight NHL seasons he recorded 28 shutouts and a goals against average of 2.82. Karakas recorded three blank sheets in the post-season and was considered at his best in key games. He handled the puck well and was always quick to credit his defence after a strong game.

A native of Aurora, Minnesota, Karakas joined the Chicago Black Hawks in 1935-36 after apprenticing with the Chicago Shamrocks, St. Louis Flyers and Tulsa Oilers. He was awarded the Calder Memorial trophy after posting a 1.92 goals-against mark and nine shutouts. Two years later he recorded a pair of playoff shutouts while leading the Hawks to an unexpected Stanley Cup championship after finishing with a losing record in the regular season. This achievement was even greater considering Karakas missed the first two games with a broken toe and eventually led the Hawks to their triumph wearing a cast.

The talented Minnesotan recorded 114 career regular season wins and helped lead the way for future American born and trained goalkeepers. During his six NHL seasons he appeared in every one of Chicago's games and earned the nickname "Iron Mike". Karakas' immense contribution to the game in his native country was recognized when he was named as an original member of the United States Hockey Hall of Fame.
Quote:
Alphonse Lacroix and Moe Roberts were the first American born goalies to play in the NHL, but it was Mike Karakas who became the first American-born star goalkeeper. He also was the goalie who introduced the now common trapper glove to the NHL by having a catch-all strap sewn from the index finger to the thumb. Some claim it was Frank Brimsek, another American goaltender, but he made it popular. It was Karakas who introduced it.

And he used that glove hand spectacularly. It was said that Karakas had the quickest glove hand of his time. He was a maddening goalie in that he was highly inconsistent. He tended to be at his best in big games, but otherwise really struggled with consistency.

Born in Aurora, Minn. in 1911, Mike Karakas played high school hockey at Eveleth. Karakas turned pro with the Chicago Shamrocks of the AHA. He was a sensation with them and continued great with the St. Louis Flyers and Tulsa Oilers.

It was only a matter of time before an NHL team would sign him, and when all-star goaltender Lorne Chabot was injured in the Chicago Blackhawks training camp, Mike took over as Chicago's goaler in 1935-36.

He was so good that Chabot was out of a job. His first season saw Karakas post a great 1.92 goals against average and 9 shutouts, earning him NHL rookie of the year honours. He also was an all-star.

Karakas could not duplicate his freshman success, and he flopped in 1936-37, giving up the second most goals. The Blackhawks plummeted right along with him into the cellar of the American Division. He was just as bad the following year, but the Hawks avoided the cellar thanks to Detroit taking the plunge after two straight Stanley Cups.

The Blackhawks didn't look like they'd last long in the 1938 playoffs, but not only did they, but they shocked the experts by beating the powerful Leafs to win the Stanley Cup. Karakas played very well in the semifinal and final, even though Karakas was forced out of the first two games of the finals with a broken toe. Alfie Moore took over and won the game. After Moore was ruled ineligible and Paul Goodman lost the second game, Karakas returned for game three and four wearing a steel toe guard and completed the storybook upset over the Leafs. Allowing only 15 goals all post-season, Karakas was very sharp, giving the Hawks their last Cup until 1961 when a new generation took over.

The Blackhawks and Karakas resumed their indifferent play in 1938-39 and finished last. Karakas was demoted to the minor leagues and replaced by Goodman. Karakas was loaned to the Montreal Canadiens when they lost Wilf Cude with a shoulder injury. He didn't win one of his 5 games, only tying one.

Karakas was seemingly forever banished to the AHL, where he starred with the Providence Reds, leading the team to the 1941 Calder Cup championship. It took World War II to bring him back to the NHL. The war had taken the NHL's talent and suddenly the Blackhawks needed Karakas again because the inexperienced Hec Highton was showing a bad display of goaltending.

Karakas returned and showed improved consistency. He played the final 26 games of the 50 game schedule in 1943-44 and his great goalkeeping helped the Blackhawks into the playoffs. He had a 3.04 goals against average and three shutouts in the high-scoring NHL, which was remarkable. In the playoffs he unthinkably led another Cinderella Hawks team into the Stanley Cup finals. But this time the Montreal Canadiens were unbeatable in the playoffs, and though Karakas was good, he wasn't good enough to stop the Habs powerful attack. The Blackhawks were swept in four straight games.

The next year, Doug Bentley joined his brother Max in the armed forces and only the goalkeeping of Karakas prevented the Hawks from avoiding the cellar. That he recorded a league high 4 shutouts was miraculous, and he was selected for the second all-star team.

With players returning from the war, and new netminder Paul Bibeault now available, the Hawks returned the 35 year old Karakas to Providence to round out his hockey career.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:22 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

And I have a question, how do you guys get that single post thing that you use for bios and you post a link on the roster site?

Old
06-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Florida selects LW Marc Tardiff

1971 Stanley Cup Champion
1973 Stanley Cup Champion
1st all-time in WHA goals
2nd all-time in WHA points
1976 WHA MVP
1977 Avco Cup Champion
1978 WHA MVP

Legends of Hockey:
Quote:
It was in the WHA that he played the prime six years of his life, joining the Quebec Nordiques midway through the following season and becoming a provincial hero for all French-Canadians in Quebec. In 1975-76 he signed an unprecedented 10-year contract with the Nordiques, then went out and led the league in goals, assists and points.

After four more years back in the NHL, Tardif retired a hero in Quebec and was given a proud sendoff. His number 8 was retired by the Nordiques near the start of the 1983-84 season.
Quebec Nordiques Legends:
Quote:
Marc's timing in the NHL was a little bit off. He broke in with a powerful Montreal team and never got the chance to play on the top line, and in Quebec he got stuck behind a budding superstar in Goulet. But he won two Stanley Cup titles, and he got to play a lot on the top line in the WHA. Marc finished his NHL career with a respectable 401 pts (194 goals and 207 points) in 517 regular season games and 28 points (13 goals and 15 assists) in 62 playoff games.

In retirement Tardif worked as a car salesman, eventually owning his own Toyota and Kia dealerships.

Last edited by Hedberg: 06-16-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old
06-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Florida selects D Duncan Keith

Played in 2008 NHL All-Star Game
2010 Stanley Cup Champion
2010 Olympic Gold Medalist
2010 Norris Trophy Winner
2nd in Defence Scoring 2010

I know this pick will be controversial, but Keith probably has the highest peak of any defender in the MLD as he's lead his team in ice-time to both a gold medal and a Stanley Cup while being both one of the best offensive and defensive players in the NHL. His level of dominance is not available in many other MLD options. Perhaps seen as a one year wonder (although it's more like 2-3 years), that year alone will cement his role in hockey's history.

Last edited by Hedberg: 06-23-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old
06-16-2010, 01:33 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Wow, I was expecting him to take a large jump, but top 20!! From not being drafted at all in last years MLD, Very Ballsy of you sir.

Last edited by markrander87: 06-16-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old
06-16-2010, 01:50 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Very ballsy indeed. I was looking at Tardif with my pick but decided there were many more players from that era to draw from compared to Karakas'.

Old
06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
...........And markrander haha jk, thanks a lot for the props though.
How could I forget about you?

Haha jokes bro, great start to your squad, Goldsworthy will be hell to play against no matter who the opposition is, ideal first rounder in the MLD.

and Hedberg, Keith is an interesting one, can run the PP, PK and has quite a few accolades added to his resume, nice!

Old
06-16-2010, 02:08 PM
seventieslord

Ugh, I'm dying here without my USB cable! I meant to make a shortlist last night but there was just no way I could make it a priority with everything else I have going on. The wife's about to pop and I'm working hard on renos while of course going to my full-time job too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
And I have a question, how do you guys get that single post thing that you use for bios and you post a link on the roster site?
Right click on the post number in the top-right corner of your post and say "copy shortcut". Then go into your roster post, highlight the name of the player and click on the hyperlink function at the top above the post box. paste in the shortcut to your bio post. You have now turned that player's name into a hyperlink that takes you straight to his bio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post

Played in 2008 NHL All-Star Game
2010 Stanley Cup Champion
2010 Olympic Gold Medalist
2010 Norris Trophy Finalist
2nd in Defence Scoring 2010

I know this pick will be controversial, but Keith probably has the highest peak of any defender in the MLD as he's lead his team in ice-time to both a gold medal and a Stanley Cup while being both one of the best offensive and defensive players in the NHL. His level of dominance is not available in many other MLD options. Perhaps seen as a one year wonder (although it's more like 2-3 years), that year alone will cement his role in hockey's history.
Yes, that is controversial. He will likely win the norris this year too, and deserves it. He was, at worst, the 3rd-best player in the playoffs this year and easily the ice-time leader. As for his ability to be a top pairing guy here, it will come down to how people view his short peak (one awesome year and two excellent years, so right now he is Randy Carlyle without the extra 12 seasons) compared to other #1s soon to be selected who may never have been as good as him, but were very strong for 15 years.

Old
06-16-2010, 02:36 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Yes, that is controversial. He will likely win the norris this year too, and deserves it. He was, at worst, the 3rd-best player in the playoffs this year and easily the ice-time leader. As for his ability to be a top pairing guy here, it will come down to how people view his short peak (one awesome year and two excellent years, so right now he is Randy Carlyle without the extra 12 seasons) compared to other #1s soon to be selected who may never have been as good as him, but were very strong for 15 years.
Pronger?

Old
06-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Pronger?
I think he meant on his own team. Keith played 4 more minutes on average than any other Hawk.

Old
06-16-2010, 02:43 PM
seventieslord

Yes, I meant on his own team.

My choices, in order, would have been: Pronger, Toews, Keith.

Old
06-16-2010, 03:09 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Got it, sorry.

Old
06-16-2010, 05:11 PM
seventieslord

I can't go without getting a goalie in the first 3 rounds. I just can't. I tried this time, but I just have to know that the position is solidified. And this time around, with Hern gone, I see a guy who stands above the others remaining.

Don Edwards - G

Old
06-16-2010, 05:25 PM
seventieslord

ok, what the hell, I may as well take this guy now instead of hoping to steal him later. I think Hedberg, jarek, and JFA are serious risks to take him soon if I don't.

Russell "Dubbie" Bowie is a solid HHOFer, often talked about as the most talented pre-merger player, and many of us who like to talk big say that one of these days we'll make him the ATD 2nd liner that he truly deserves to be. Well, this guy was a runner-up to the great Russell Bowie in the scoring race two of the five times Bowie led the CAHL in scoring, and runner-up a 3rd time there as well. He capped it off in 1909 by finishing 2nd behind Marty Walsh in ECHA scoring. That's four times that he barely missed out on being the scoring champion of the best league in hockey.

Herb Jordan, C

Here's my AAA11 bio for Jordan for the time being. I plan to do some research to beef that up now that google news has proven to be such a strong resource.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=171

Old
06-16-2010, 06:17 PM
papershoes

according to the main page, i guess i'm up...

sergey kapustin (lw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidlovski
One of the most gifted Russian elite players of all time, Sergey Kapustin was a part of Team USSR in many top international tournaments of the 1970s and early 1980s.

Fast skating, great puckhandling skills, mastery of hockey improvization and obvious scoring talent of an 18-year old native of a small town Ukhta quickly brought him to play hockey in Moscow. In addition to obvious technical skills, young prospect loved to play physical hockey.

Being a natural team player, Kapustin played with various world class players throughout his career.

Last edited by papershoes: 06-16-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old
06-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

The Huskies select C, Mike Rogers.

I'm on my phone right now, would someone mind pming Billy?

Old
06-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalberg View Post
The Huskies select C, Mike Rogers.

I'm on my phone right now, would someone mind pming Billy?
I'm on it.

Old
06-16-2010, 08:23 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

With their next selection in the 2010 MLD, the Philadelphia Blazers are happy to select D Gilles Marotte

1x All-Star Game Participant
2x Top 10 Points among Defenseman (10th, 7th)

Quote:
Defenceman Gilles Marotte played over 800 NHL games for five different clubs in the 1960s and '70s. He was a fine playmaker who could work the point on the power play and handle the rough going in his own end.

The youngster played well for the Beantowners but was included in the infamous trade that brought Phil Esposito and Ken Hodge to Boston from Chicago in May 1967. Marotte was a solid two-way defenceman for three seasons in the Windy City but was part of the package sent to the L.A. Kings to acquire Bill White and Gerry Desjardins.

The West Coast agreed with Marotte as he was given a great deal of responsibility and power-play time. In 1972-73, he set a personal best with 45 points and was a key factor in the club's transition game. The following season he was sent to the New York Rangers as part of a multi-player deal that brought Mike Murphy to the Kings. In his first year with the "Blueshirts," he helped them reach the semi-finals where they succumbed to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Philadelphia Flyers.
Quote:
And once I saw the blood – this player’s sacrifice – on the jersey, I had to know more about Gilles Marotte. I understand that every hockey player will get blood on his jersey, and much of the time it’ll be his own, too. But it made even more sense when I remembered that Gilles Marotte’s nickname throughout the hockey world was “Captain Crunch.” He was renowned for his hitting, his gritty style, and his solid, thick physique.

I looked down at the sleeves of this size 48 Rawlings shirt, and saw how his 200 pound, 5' 9” frame filled it like a fireplug. “Captain Crunch” was all about contact, and so I would have been surprised if his blood didn’t grace his work clothes. I also wondered: even when he played in the 1973 NHL All-Star game, did he hit the other team?

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 06-16-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Closed Thread