HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade Carter?

Old
06-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
For me it is not the injuries, he is our best asset to trade as I do not beleive we will be able to resign him. Trade him now or wait for the RFA compensation that will come at the end of next year.
We will have zero problem re-signing him. He's already fit in at 5M, and it isn't like he's going to get a huge raise over that.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:03 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Unfair maybe, but this is what always comes to me when I think of Carter -- scroll to 9:20.

He's super-talented, for sure, and I don't really hate him, but as I said in another thread, I think he's a loser. If we could get a good return, I'd trade him.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:05 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm split 50/50 right now, but seriously, trading him for Ryan would be really awesome. I hate that we have no true right winger that can really put up numbers for us.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:09 PM
flountown

If we sent Carter away, it'd have to be for a scoring winger. We can't afford to lose his goal production without a direct replacement.

That being said, I am definitely not against trading Carter, but we need goals for goals in this instance.

I think to bring in a goalie it needs to be FA signing or one of Parent/Coburn/Carle are going the other way with a pick/prospect. This is kind of why I think it takes Vokoun out of the picture.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
If we sent Carter away, it'd have to be for a scoring winger. We can't afford to lose his goal production without a direct replacement.

That being said, I am definitely not against trading Carter, but we need goals for goals in this instance.

I think to bring in a goalie it needs to be FA signing or one of Parent/Coburn/Carle are going the other way with a pick/prospect. This is kind of why I think it takes Vokoun out of the picture.
You would also HAVE TO then make a move for a 3rd line center with size that plays effective defense.

Old
06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm sorry, you missed the part in the regular season when we were below .500 in the regular season without him and were getting absolutely dominated by the Bruins until Krejci got hurt?

Because those things actually did happen.
And... what of Montreal?

I get your point, but how else are we going to get a clear cut #1 goalie?

Leighton and Boucher aren't the answer. And I'm tired of hearing about aging goalies like Turco, Vokoun and Thomas.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:15 PM
mm6492

We couldn't matchup with the Bruins w/o him, but once Krejci got hurt we could. But next year they will have a healthy Savard and maybe Seguin.

We can not matchup against the Penguins w/o him, as we need him and Richards to counter Malkin and Crosby.

And how soon people forget we would not have been in the playoffs w/o him, as he carried the team for about 3 weeks by himself.

But screw all this, lets trade him for 50 cents on the dollar!!!!

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Viller

I think this is the perfect case for a "lateral move", were good enough down the middle. I personnaly dont think its a coincidence that I'm disapointed yet again by his post season performance, injured or not. He makes dumb plays, causes a TON of turnovers... Just in that game 6, theres so many things that jump to mind. Not only his botched open net in the third, but on a couple of his shots, had he chosen to shoot low it would have created rebounds instead of sniping at Niemi glove hand(or chest)...

I think he will be gone next summer though when its time to re-up... Remember how Holmgren is loyal to his players, well it wont change because they lost in the finals.

Btw, I really really like regular season Carter... I dont know what happens to him when the big game pressure is on but he seems to lack that extra gear that most of our players have...

If it comes down to him or Gagne next year, I just hope they make the right choice.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
And... what of Montreal?

Leighton and Boucher aren't the answer. And I'm tired of hearing about aging goalies like Turco, Vokoun and Thomas.
You mean that team with no size, missing their #1 D (a serious factor in that series), that was the #8 seed and only playing us because of the super human performance of their goalie in Rd 1 and 2?

This is the danger... believing that winning the East with this team is indicative of the fact that we really are in great shape to try and win the Cup next year. This team needs some tweaking for sure, but I find this "we were better without Carter" or "Carter sucks" line to be silly.

Old
06-10-2010, 01:18 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
And... what of Montreal?

And how did Buffalo (Miler), the Rangers (Lundquist), and the Devils (Brodeur) do in the playoffs?

We have an elite defense who made a crappy goalie look good. Put a good goalie in net, and we can make him look above average. But our team is not built to be able to handle a big contract like a Luongo or whatever.

Old
06-10-2010, 01:19 PM
captainpaxil

no. you dont trade carter unless the offer is ridiculous and i dont even mean real life ridiculous i mean hfboards ridiculous

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I dont care what anyone says, the Flyers would regret the day they traded Jeff Carter. Especially for some of the unproven garbage people are proposing.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:25 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
I dont care what anyone says, the Flyers would regret the day they traded Jeff Carter. Especially for some of the unproven garbage people are proposing.
This.

People regret trading Sharp. Can you picture people after we trade Carter?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Haute Couturier

I'd trade him if the right deal came along, but I am not with those who just want to trade him because they were unhappy with his playoffs. I'd still trade Briere long before I'd move Carter.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Mota

Im not sure if this would work at all...but what if the dealt him to the Kings for Handzus and Bernier?

Handzus gives you the big, faceoff winning, shutdown center who can score and Bernier gives you the goalie for the future...I am sure they could get another piece or two aswell. Zues is a bit overpaid, but is only signed through next year.

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Leino-Briere-Hartnell
JVR-Handzus-Carcillo
Powe-Betts-Lappy

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:29 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Im not sure if this would work at all...but what if the dealt him to the Kings for Handzus and Bernier?

Handzus gives you the big, faceoff winning, shutdown center who can score and Bernier (prob could get a pick too) gives you the goalie for the future. Zues is a bit overpaid, but is only signed through next year.

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Leino-Briere-Hartnell
JVR-Handzus-Carcillo
Powe-Betts-Lappy
I would cry when I watch the Kings raise the Cup next year....

Old
06-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
This.

People regret trading Sharp. Can you picture people after we trade Carter?
Not as much as they would regret trading JVR or Giroux...because it is pretty unlikely theyd be able to keep all 3 when their contracts are up.

Old
06-10-2010, 01:32 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Not as much as they would regret trading JVR or Giroux...because it is pretty unlikely theyd be able to keep all 3 when their contracts are up.
If they can move Briere and/or Hartnell, yes they can.

Old
06-10-2010, 01:34 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It would have to be a big return and you'd also need someone with size down the middle. Briere, as good as he was in the playoffs isn't great defensively. He, Roo and Richie aren't good face off guys and they're all small. Keep in mind that Briere got the room he did in the playoffs because Richie's line was the one shut down by the other teams, so if Briere's line becomes the #1 line next year, they'll be the ones being shut down.
Not true. The last three games the Briere line drew Keith/Seabrook. Small sampling I know, but they didn't slow down at all.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

Handzus gives you the big, faceoff winning, shutdown center who can score and Bernier gives you the goalie for the future...I am sure they could get another piece or two aswell. Zues is a bit overpaid, but is only signed through next year.

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Leino-Briere-Hartnell
JVR-Handzus-Carcillo
Powe-Betts-Lappy
I'd want a better asset than Zeus, but I'd consider it for Bernier + depending on what the + is.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You mean that team with no size, missing their #1 D (a serious factor in that series), that was the #8 seed and only playing us because of the super human performance of their goalie in Rd 1 and 2?

This is the danger... believing that winning the East with this team is indicative of the fact that we really are in great shape to try and win the Cup next year. This team needs some tweaking for sure, but I find this <B>"we were better without Carter" or "Carter sucks"</B> line to be silly.
In no way am I saying we are better with Carter, I am just implying that we were able to win without him. Say what you will about Krejci, it's not like we dominated the Bruins in the 4 straight wins.

Do I want to see Jeff Carter leave? Not at all. If we could somehow rid ourselves of the Briere and Hartnell contracts, I would say absolutely not. The problem is that Jeff Carter does play well in the regular season and he will command at least 6-7 million per year with his next contract. Let's also remember that we will most likely never have anyone picked in this year's draft on any future Flyers roster.

You guys say any trade involving him must be ridiculous returns to us. Well, theres the thing, there is most likely a team out there that will give up a lot for a player like Jeff Carter.

As a Flyers GM, would I give up Carter just for s*its and giggles? Of course not. However, a young franchise goalie offered with extra picks/prospects wouldn't be bad as it would give immediate returns at goalie AND give us something worthwhile in the draft.

Old
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
If they can move Briere and/or Hartnell, yes they can.
And what if they cant? They both have NTCs and after this run, I cant see them wanting to leave. Even if they did, only a few teams would want their salaries, and among those teams, maybe only 1 or 2 they would want to go to. Doesnt exactly give the Flyers leverage when negotiating a return. If they were to trade one of them, they get barely anything return. Why give away guys like Hartnell and Briere for nothing when you can give carter away and get a ton in return? Doesnt make sense to me.

Hartnell had a down year, but we saw what he can do his first 2 years here and this past round especially. Briere is more talented than Carter IMO, he just needs the right linemates (as shown with these last playoffs and when he was paired with prospal a few years back).

Old
06-10-2010, 01:40 PM
FlyersCup08

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm sorry, you missed the part in the regular season when we were below .500 in the regular season without him and were getting absolutely dominated by the Bruins until Krejci got hurt?

Because those things actually did happen.
I don't recall the Flyers getting dominated by the Bruins, sure we went down 0-3 but they were for the most part close games that could have gone either way.

Do your remember how we started winning when we got Gagne back?

Carter's good, but there's just no room for him on this team. Especially if he can fetch Price (easily, MTL would trade him for a 5th) and hopefully a 1st I'd do that in a heartbeat.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
I don't recall the Flyers getting dominated by the Bruins, sure we went down 0-3 but they were for the most part close games that could have gone either way.

Do your remember how we started winning when we got Gagne back?

Carter's good, but there's just no room for him on this team. Especially if he can fetch Price (easily, MTL would trade him for a 5th) and hopefully a 1st I'd do that in a heartbeat.
There's no room on this team for an extremely fast, big, 40+ goal scoring center (who appears to be the only guy on the team that can win draws against good centers)?

Old
06-10-2010, 01:48 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
There's no room on this team for an extremely fast, big, 40+ goal scoring center (who appears to be the only guy on the team that can win draws against good centers)?
Where was that 40 goal scorer against the Pens in Round 1 last year? Just playing devil's advocate here.

Why can't a veteran center be brought in to win draws? Like I said before, there are players out there willing to take paycuts to play for good teams. Last time I checked, the Flyers made it to Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals.

Carter can do all of those things you said above yes, but he's only one guy. The return for this one guy can bring us in a goalie and future prospects.