HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

New Intel processors

Old
06-10-2010, 01:18 PM
SeNaToR PhIL

vCash: 500
New Intel processors

So I'm getting a new laptop this summer!!

Dell lets you customize the components, the one I'm looking at already has a Intel Core i3-330M 2.13GHz (3M cache) included in the price, the following upgrades are available:

i3-350M 2.26GHz (3M cache) for $50 extra
i5-430M 2.26GHz (2.53GHz Turbo Mode, 3M cache) for $100 extra

So, I heard that i3 is like a dual-core, while i5 acts like a quad core. Is this true? I found this Yahoo Answer which seems legit. Is i5 worth the $100?

I'm already gonna spend $150 to replace the crappy built-in Intel graphics card I'm looking to get something strong enough so that I don't have to worry about upgrading soon. Basically, the main purpose of the laptop will be for gaming; AlienWare laptops are out of the question for financial reasons.

I'd really appreciate some feedback

SeNaToR PhIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Defgarden

I can't offer much advice, but I just bought a laptop with an i3 processor (I think the 330-M) and an Nvidia 330M something card (I think that's what it is), and it seems to play most games ok. I havent tried cranking up the detail levels on everything yet, but it's ok.

I would try and look up some benchmark sites and do some comparisons.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:48 PM
SeNaToR PhIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
I can't offer much advice, but I just bought a laptop with an i3 processor (I think the 330-M) and an Nvidia 330M something card (I think that's what it is), and it seems to play most games ok. I havent tried cranking up the detail levels on everything yet, but it's ok.

I would try and look up some benchmark sites and do some comparisons.
What games? What's your processor speed? What's the video card memory?

Old
06-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

You're right in that the i5-430M can "act" like a quad-core in that it can simultaneously address 4 threads. However, just because it handles more threads does not mean it has anywhere near the ability to run that many things at the same time effectively. Think of it this way: your body has two arms and two hands (dual-core), if you put another two hands on each arm, you could do more stuff, but not so much more stuff. Now imagine you have four arms with four hands (quad-core). I think you get the picture.

The upgrade to the i3-330M is *not* worth the price upgrade. Stepping up to the i5-430M depends on what you need it for. More likely than not, you're not going to see a big difference, especially since the cache is the exact same size, only turbos up to 2.5GHz (turbo only really kicks in on single threaded apps), and hyperthreading is better in theory than practice. If you can, stepping up to a i7 is worth it (more cache).

Also, just because you're replacing the Intel graphics with discrete graphics does not mean it'll be a gaming quality laptop. I'm judging that since the base configuration is Intel graphics, the step up to discrete graphics will not be a big jump. I'd really urge you to look at retail (set configuration) laptops that are geared towards gamers since you can usually get a good discrete graphics chip in there from the get go.

ASUS makes some very competitively priced laptops for gamers. Here's an ass kickin' machine for the price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220696

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeNaToR PhIL View Post
What games? What's your processor speed? What's the video card memory?
Videocard memory is going to be largely irrelevant at the resolutions you're going to gaming at (laptop screen resolutions). Ignore that number. You want a higher end video card if possible.

i3-330M is 2.26GHz. Again, you can't use just processor speed as the guiding force as the i7-720QM is a 1.6GHz processor, but is a quad-core.

Old
06-10-2010, 02:03 PM
SeNaToR PhIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
You're right in that the i5-430M can "act" like a quad-core in that it can simultaneously address 4 threads. However, just because it handles more threads does not mean it has anywhere near the ability to run that many things at the same time effectively. Think of it this way: your body has two arms and two hands (dual-core), if you put another two hands on each arm, you could do more stuff, but not so much more stuff. Now imagine you have four arms with four hands (quad-core). I think you get the picture.

The upgrade to the i3-330M is *not* worth the price upgrade. Stepping up to the i5-430M depends on what you need it for. More likely than not, you're not going to see a big difference, especially since the cache is the exact same size, only turbos up to 2.5GHz (turbo only really kicks in on single threaded apps), and hyperthreading is better in theory than practice. If you can, stepping up to a i7 is worth it (more cache).

Also, just because you're replacing the Intel graphics with discrete graphics does not mean it'll be a gaming quality laptop. I'm judging that since the base configuration is Intel graphics, the step up to discrete graphics will not be a big jump. I'd really urge you to look at retail (set configuration) laptops that are geared towards gamers since you can usually get a good discrete graphics chip in there from the get go.

ASUS makes some very competitively priced laptops for gamers. Here's an ass kickin' machine for the price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220696
Thanks for info!!

Ya, the i7's upgrades aren't cheap...from my experience, the laptops on the shelves always lack in some department, whether it's RAM or processor speed or whatever.

The video card upgrade is the ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 HD (1 GB), it's a definite must imo, for $150. Anyway whenever I'm playing games, I don't have random apps running in the background. The Dell I'm looking at also has 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, already included in price with option for further upgrading!! But the priority is the processor now given the 4GB RAM already included.

That ASUS machine has 1.6Ghz (i7/quad core), so would that 1.6 times 4 single core!?! If so, that's quite powerful, but already over $1,000 pre-tax & shipping (I'm in Canada)

Old
06-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Thanks for info!!

Ya, the i7's upgrades aren't cheap...from my experience, the laptops on the shelves always lack in some department, whether it's RAM or processor speed or whatever.

The video card upgrade is the ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 HD (1 GB), it's a definite must imo, for $150. Anyway whenever I'm playing games, I don't have random apps running in the background. The Dell I'm looking at also has 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, already included in price with option for further upgrading!! But the priority is the processor now given the 4GB RAM already included.

That ASUS machine has 1.6Ghz (i7/quad core), so would that 1.6 times 4 single core!?! If so, that's quite powerful, but already over $1,000 pre-tax & shipping (I'm in Canada)
You should *not* get a "gaming" laptop with the 5470. That's a low-end graphics solution (http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mob...0.23698.0.html). If you plan on playing any modern games, you won't get much more than low-medium graphic quality settings at less than optimal settings.

The unfortunate thing is that unless you spend around $900-$1000, you're not going to have a gaming-caliber laptop. If you want to stick with AMD, you should get at least a 5670-caliber videocard, if you want NVidia you want at least a GT330-caliber videocard to play today's games. While still not ideal, this ASUS with a GT325 is *much* better than any 5470 equipped laptop (a bit cheaper than the one I mentioned before). http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834220706

Old
06-10-2010, 08:07 PM
SeNaToR PhIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
You should *not* get a "gaming" laptop with the 5470. That's a low-end graphics solution (http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mob...0.23698.0.html). If you plan on playing any modern games, you won't get much more than low-medium graphic quality settings at less than optimal settings.

The unfortunate thing is that unless you spend around $900-$1000, you're not going to have a gaming-caliber laptop. If you want to stick with AMD, you should get at least a 5670-caliber videocard, if you want NVidia you want at least a GT330-caliber videocard to play today's games. While still not ideal, this ASUS with a GT325 is *much* better than any 5470 equipped laptop (a bit cheaper than the one I mentioned before). http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834220706
That ASUS looks alright for the price, I've never dealt with Newegg. I've played games on low-medium settings for like forever anyway, my budget is limiting me (what else is new? )

Thanks again

Old
06-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
That ASUS looks alright for the price, I've never dealt with Newegg. I've played games on low-medium settings for like forever anyway, my budget is limiting me (what else is new? )

Thanks again
No prob.

Old
06-11-2010, 09:41 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:

Thanks again
Newegg has a great reputation. They usually ship really fast and their customer service is pretty good.

One note: If you're ordering multiple items, pay attention to what shipping is for each item as they charge shipping for each item instead of for the entire order.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Arastiroth

Quote:

Thanks again
Just wanted to jump in and say Newegg is great! I've been using them for 8 years (over 30 orders) and I've never had a single problem or complaint!

Arastiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:47 PM
invictus

You all make me want to buy some stuff on Newegg, haha.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:16 PM
SeNaToR PhIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
Newegg has a great reputation. They usually ship really fast and their customer service is pretty good.

One note: If you're ordering multiple items, pay attention to what shipping is for each item as they charge shipping for each item instead of for the entire order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arastiroth View Post
Just wanted to jump in and say Newegg is great! I've been using them for 8 years (over 30 orders) and I've never had a single problem or complaint!
Even for Canada? I hope they ship here...

Old
06-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Even for Canada? I hope they ship here...
There's a newegg.ca

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote