vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post
What's there to look forward to?

I guess:

June 25th-26th draft
July 1st FA signing day
September? Pre-season
Personally I love the offseason. It's usually far more interesting than game 20-60 of the regular season. Unfortunately this offseason became longer than we've gotten used to...

Last edited by Elvs: 06-10-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:28 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Two of my favorite days in the year are draft day and FA day. But it's been such a long time since the Ducks last played...so sad.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Unholy

And we should be getting a few announcements before Draft Day too

Unholy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Dirk316

Draft day should be interesting and hopefully the owners will let Murray know that his job should be on the line this season and to show some balls and gets stuff done

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Draft day should be interesting and hopefully the owners will let Murray know that his job should be on the line this season and to show some balls and gets stuff done
Other than lacking depth on D, Murray has already showed tons of balls imo. He sure isn't afraid to pull trades, and he never made any awful ones either.

Anyways, was the new 3rd jersey supposed to be revealed in time before the draft?

Old
06-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Other than lacking depth on D, Murray has already showed tons of balls imo. He sure isn't afraid to pull trades, and he never made any awful ones either.

Anyways, was the new 3rd jersey supposed to be revealed in time before the draft?

none of his trades have any type of high risk/high reward they are safe, boring and usually of little positive impact

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Unholy

Quote:

I've been trying to find that out, not really sure. Hopefully its good, definitely want a Visnovsky one

Unholy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
none of his trades have any type of high risk/high reward they are safe, boring and usually of little positive impact
The Pronger trade and both Whitney trades were high risk high reward. The second Whitney trade was a huge positive and the Pronger trade may or may not turn out positively.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Elvs

Quote:
The Pronger trade and the Visnovsky trade we're among the biggest this season. Trading Giguere, Kunitz and Pahlsson wasn't much fun considering their long history with the team, but it's not like Murray isn't doing anything. And the junk he brought in, well at least he didn't give up anything of importance to get them.

Now I don't hope Murray does too much actually. Imo there's only small changes that needs to be made. Which is getting rid of a top six forward and get a top 4 d-man. Unless Selanne retires, then I guess we can keep both Blake and Lupul.

If you have Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Koivu, Selanne, Niedermayer, Visnovsky and Hiller on your team, then you're in pretty good shape to contend for a playoff spot. Afterall, the Ducks we're among the best teams of the 2nd half of the season. Hopefully we can just get a couple of depth guys.

Old
06-10-2010, 06:30 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Whitney trade was awesome. Visnovsky shows no sign of decline, he's a force to be reckoned with on the PP.

Unfortunately, we don't know the outcome of the pronger trade quite yet, we'll have to see how Palmieri, Sbisa, Lupul, and player xxx turn out from the 29th pick this year. I have a feeling the Ducks will try to snag a D-man with the 2nd pick and a forward with the 1st.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 07:20 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
While Murray does a lot of dumpster diving, I do think he has also made his share of high-risk, high reward type trades.

Look at say the Christensen trade. 33 points in 61 games in Pittsburgh, so he had shown some production. We traded a high former 2nd round pick for him.

Or acquiring Whitney. A 59 point defenseman. We traded one of our top prospects and a good complementary winger.

Trading Pronger away takes balls. As does trading Whitney away just a year after acquiring him.

Now if you were me, you might say the Whitney and Christensen trades are more stupid than high-risk, high-reward. But there certainly was plenty of potential reward, even if I felt the risk was too great to be worth it.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post

Keyword there being should but I doubt it happens for at least one of them, which will hurt Murray's reshaping this team.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 11:08 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
i have already put in a request for work off for June 25th and 26th (going to the draft) and my favorite day of the year July 1st!

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:47 AM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
Hopefully an announcement of Ryan's resigning. I don't know how much more of the Kaberle + picks proposals I can take from Leaf fans anymore.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:11 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
While Murray does a lot of dumpster diving, I do think he has also made his share of high-risk, high reward type trades.

Look at say the Christensen trade. 33 points in 61 games in Pittsburgh, so he had shown some production. We traded a high former 2nd round pick for him.

Or acquiring Whitney. A 59 point defenseman. We traded one of our top prospects and a good complementary winger.

Trading Pronger away takes balls. As does trading Whitney away just a year after acquiring him.

Now if you were me, you might say the Whitney and Christensen trades are more stupid than high-risk, high-reward. But there certainly was plenty of potential reward, even if I felt the risk was too great to be worth it.
I do agree with this. However, I wouldn't call either the EC or the first Whitney trade stupid at all.

We traded a 45-55 point forward for a four year younger 35-45 point defenseman with 50 point upside. He wasn't that bad as people blamed him to be, but he just didn't fit, especially not with the rest of the D core being soft.

EC was barely given a shot as a #2 center. It was always on the wing, and afterall he had 9 points in 17 games his first year. I mean look at him now. If he was our 2nd line center, between Teemu and Ryan/Lupul/Blake, he likely would be a 40 point center. I highly doubt Eric O'Dell ever reaches EC's level in the NHL.

Old
06-11-2010, 05:41 AM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
I highly doubt Eric O'Dell ever reaches EC's level in the NHL.
This is true for all prospects: you could name a bad NHL'er and chances are that prospect won't become as good. Doesn't mean we should trade Gardiner for Lukas Krajicek now does it?

Anyway, replacing Pronger and Beauch with Eminger and Boynton was stupid from the get go. That wasn't high risk/high reward, that was potentially crippling/no possible reward.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Clueless View Post
This is true for all prospects: you could name a bad NHL'er and chances are that prospect won't become as good. Doesn't mean we should trade Gardiner for Lukas Krajicek now does it?

Anyway, replacing Pronger and Beauch with Eminger and Boynton was stupid from the get go. That wasn't high risk/high reward, that was potentially crippling/no possible reward.
...I didn't base my opinion on the simple fact that O'Dell is a prospect. He's just not showing very much upside. Heck, even if he somehow manages to become a 30-40 point player in the NHL, that's replacable. We have plenty of prospects that are more promising than O'Dell currently is.

Eminger and Boynton brought in to replace Pronger and Beauch? Everyone knows that was not the case, including yourself. Either Nieds or Pronger had to go, everyone knew that was coming. At least we could get something in return for Prongs, which wouldn't have been the case with Nieds.

Old
06-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Seems like a lot of you are wanting to pick a forward with our first pick.
I disagree. We were 7th best scoring team in NHL, despite Getz was playing against other teams big lines.
So i think we need to pick good D with #12.
Also i hope we take some good defensive forward later in the draft.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:55 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
I disagree. We were 7th best scoring team in NHL, despite Getz was playing against other teams big lines.
You're correct, we do need defensemen at the NHL level more than forwards.

But if you look at our prospect pool we need forwards more than defensemen. With Sbisa, Gardiner, Mitera, Mikkelson, Clark, and Vatanen we have the D side covered relatively well. Compare that to our forward prospects, where there's Beleskey, Palmieri, Deschamps, Bonino, and Holland. Maybe McMillan. Roughly the same # of decent prospects, but there's 2x the forward spots in an NHL team.

A guy picked at #12 won't help us next season, so if you calculate need I'd prefer to look at the prospect pool depth.

And anyways, the defensemen this draft don't look so good. The forwards look much better.

Old
06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
SingDomestica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Yeah pretty much what Snark said. Not only do we have more D prospects, but they're all a lot closer to playing in the NHL and seem to have a bit higher ceiling as well: Vatanen breaking rookie records as an offensive d-man, Clark voted one of the best and toughest dman in the OHL, Sbisa and Gardiner playing very solid all around games for their countries in the recent world tournaments as well as playoffs. The forwards on the other hand, seem to be a bit further away and there's only two with high scoring potential at the moment, so we could use another.

SingDomestica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Force951

vCash: 50
Drafting for current needs will always cause problems down the line. The only real way to draft is to build your board and take BPA.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 07:17 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
I do agree with this. However, I wouldn't call either the EC or the first Whitney trade stupid at all.

We traded a 45-55 point forward for a four year younger 35-45 point defenseman with 50 point upside. He wasn't that bad as people blamed him to be, but he just didn't fit, especially not with the rest of the D core being soft.

EC was barely given a shot as a #2 center. It was always on the wing, and afterall he had 9 points in 17 games his first year. I mean look at him now. If he was our 2nd line center, between Teemu and Ryan/Lupul/Blake, he likely would be a 40 point center. I highly doubt Eric O'Dell ever reaches EC's level in the NHL.
Difference of expectations going into the trade.

I knew Whitney wouldn't fit because he was too soft and because he'd turn the puck over. And I knew he couldn't man the point with Niedermayer because he's terrible at holding the puck in. He worked well on the PP with Gonchar being the quarterback, while he was a puck distributor. Which is why I thought the chance of him "panning out" was so small.

Same with Christensen. I knew he was soft and wouldn't succeed in the West. He would only succeed as a 3rd scoring line center with minimal pressure, but I knew Carlyle wouldn't go with 3 scoring lines. I don't care specifically about O'Dell. The point is we gave away something (with a slight chance of working out) for a guy I was pretty certain wouldn't pan out. No chance Christensen would do anything between Teemu and Lupul/Blake. No one's going to win battles on that line... they'll never score because they'll never have the puck. Maybe with Ryan, though.

Old
06-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Finnpin

It's good to get out off hockey for a while and batteries fully loaded when the season starts....though Ducks off-season should be fun

And next season no mo hs.com ...ESPN360 will get a chance.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
...I didn't base my opinion on the simple fact that O'Dell is a prospect. He's just not showing very much upside. Heck, even if he somehow manages to become a 30-40 point player in the NHL, that's replacable. We have plenty of prospects that are more promising than O'Dell currently is.
He was by far the best and most dangerous forward on a pretty poor Sudbury squad which reflected on his numbers. What he did he did mostly on his own. At this point i'd put him and Deschamps at about the same level. Time will tell but i don't think it's a good practise to throw early second rounders around for reclamation projects in the future.

It's not that O'Dell isn't replaceable, it's that at the deadline, a 2nd rounder or that caliber prospect gets you better than EC (Billy Guerin, Nik Antropov). Who knows, maybe that quality veteran UFA forward scores a goal for us in game 7.. instead of, you know, being completely useless.

Quote:
Eminger and Boynton brought in to replace Pronger and Beauch? Everyone knows that was not the case, including yourself. Either Nieds or Pronger had to go, everyone knew that was coming. At least we could get something in return for Prongs, which wouldn't have been the case with Nieds.
Whether they were brought in to replace those guys is neither here nor there. The fact is that's what ended up happening. We lost Pronger and Beauch and signed Eminger and Boynton. Thus P&B were replaced with E&B by Murray.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote