HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you give up for Bobby Ryan?

Old
06-11-2010, 01:16 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
what is this obsession amongst ranger fans with Z? why would we want him?

does he have talent? a boatload. does he use it? when he wants to (not often, DEFINITELY not in pressure/clutch/tough situations). does he mesh well with our coaching staff? no. was he completely inconsistent? yes. was he as soft as tissue paper? yes.

not to mention he's proven he's selfish with the whole arbitration thing. i was ecstatic when he left. goodbye, good riddance, and don't come back.

i agree there are better options if we had the cap space.
I think he could be had for about 2-3 million though.
He is a way better bang for your buck than a lot of the other UFAs. If you get Bobby Ryan, you cannot afford a Frolov, or a Kovalchuk or whomever else is a free agent.
You may be able to bring in Demitra.

Point is Zherdev is always good for 60 points. at 2-3 million, i'll take it, especially if he is playing behind Gaborik and Bobby Ryan.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:22 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
It's funny...i get on this board and it is always the same 5 or 6 guys that knock my every suggestion.

The Rangers have top 6 talent in the system, Godzilla, Kreider, Werek, MZA, Stepan and whoever they draft @ 10...plus, Gabby, AA, dubi...

Now, you guys want to package the bulk of those guys for Ryan, who is a good player...6'2 208..he scored 35 goals in 81 games last year with 64 points...good player...not great...but u are looking to give up our talent before it even grows..

Since you are a genius how do the rangers obtain this talent?
a just-turned 23-year old who has put up 30+ goals in his first two seasons that has size and strength? he's just tapping into his potential. by the time he's 30 he'll have a couple 40 goal seasons under his belt. we'd be lucky if any one of kreider, stepan, or "godzilla" (hate that nickname btw) come close to that.

but yea i hear what you're saying he's just a good player...not great...

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:26 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
i agree there are better options if we had the cap space.
I think he could be had for about 2-3 million though.
He is a way better bang for your buck than a lot of the other UFAs. If you get Bobby Ryan, you cannot afford a Frolov, or a Kovalchuk or whomever else is a free agent.
You may be able to bring in Demitra.

Point is Zherdev is always good for 60 points. at 2-3 million, i'll take it, especially if he is playing behind Gaborik and Bobby Ryan.
my point is zherdev is terrible for the team in every other aspect: defensively, effort wise, winning the battles in the corner, and in the locker room. he could have been had for 2-3 million by ANY nhl team last offseason but no takers. this guy is a cancer. no nhl coach wants to deal with him, ESPECIALLY torts. there's no way Z is a good fit on this team in any way. he does more harm to a team than good.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
a just-turned 23-year old who has put up 30+ goals in his first two seasons that has size and strength? he's just tapping into his potential. by the time he's 30 he'll have a couple 40 goal seasons under his belt. we'd be lucky if any one of kreider, stepan, or "godzilla" (hate that nickname btw) come close to that.

but yea i hear what you're saying he's just a good player...not great...
Or maybe not having the pressure to produce or not being in the spotlight helped him develop.

Bring him here for all that u want to give up to get him and he better score 50.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:56 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
See, I find this interesting. "Ryan is so freaking awesome we would need to send our best young defenseman, our best prospect and a #1 to get him!". Ok' if he's that good, why on earth would they trade him? The only possible answer is that they're up against the wall cap-wise and have to do so, right? (Obviously.)

Ok, then why pay fair value?

I really, really like Bobby Ryan and would love to have him on this team, but I'm not at all in favor of simply stripping one core piece to get another. Offer 80% value and hope you win. If a Brian Burke shows up to overpay, let him. Otherwise hope that your Grachev plus Sangs/Gilroy offer is the best of the lot they have to choose from (and I say this as.a huge Grachev fan.)
The fact is the odds of us getting a Bobby Ryan of our own are much slimmer versus the odds of our defense still being very good in a year or two without one of Staal or Del Zotto

I have pretty high hopes for Grachev, too.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:59 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Yeah. I feel the exact opposite. Im not as high on MDZ as some, probably a bit higher on Staal than most.

Staal is going to be one of the top 10 dmen in the nhl within 2-3 years, IMO. MDZ, will be a decent top 4 dman who will score 40-45 points a year, sort of a JM Liles. Plus MDZ is more easily replaceable by Sanguinetti than Staal is certainly by anyone on our team or in our prospects except Rozsival.
I think he'll be a lot better than JM Liles, who isn't much of a defenseman at all, but I'll agree that if anyone has the potential of the two to be among the elite int he NHL it's Staal. Del Zotto, IMO, has the potential to put up elite offensive numbers, and will be a good defenseman too, but you'll probably never hear his name being mentioned amongst the league's top d-men.

I don't think Sangs is exactly a replacement for MDZ, the two are different types of players. If we're confident Sangs can QB a powerplay, however, pull the trigger and go get Bobby Ryan.

Old
06-11-2010, 02:01 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
i think you stand pat unless Anaheim gets desperate and is willing to accept something very weak. Ana is up against the cap b/c of signings like Corey perry, Ryan getzlaf, Joffrey Lupol, lubomir visnovsky and jonas hiller all are 4.5+ mil withs everal years to go. They simply have NO cap space for the 7-8 mil bobby probably wants and quite frankly neither do we...end of that discussion.

For the sake of argument if we were gonna trade well Anaheim is desperate and only trading b/c of cap issues so picks and cheap prospects with upside will probably get the job done.

DUbs, Girardi, this years 2nd and 3rd, maybe next years 2nd and prospects like Sangs and Sauer. They are in cap trouble and those are all low cost guys with upside. Sangs, Dubs and Girardi...possibly even Sauer can all contribute to that team immediately.

They could ask us for Staal, MDZ and our 1st but besides our 1st rounder they wouldn't be able to sign those guys any easier than Ryan. they'd be better off sticking with Bobby at that point who is a proven commodity with that locker room.

If they REALLY can't sign him they'd take that. No one else would want to give up much more Montreal made their mistake with Gomez and Toronto already gave up their picks lol.

But then how do we sign him if we get him? It actually would work. (Side note: Gab would prob shift to LW. I'm pretty sure he's played LW a lot before... at least he had fantasy eligibility lol.)

We have 12 mil right now i think to re-sign Staal and Girardi...well girardi is traded and Dubs is off the books too. With Dubs and Girardi gone I guess we'd have enough cap to sign Staal for up to 5 mil (prob lower) and still pay Bobby 7 mil.. Then next year Brash and Voros are off so we could re-sign Cally. Then the NEXT year drury and Roszi are off so we could sign A.A. and MDZ.

Wow I convinced myself we can trade for Bobby Ryan and sign him long term depending on how desperate against the cap ANa is.

Best overall move is probably to just stand pat if your the rangers.

Edit: We'd have to sign A.A. a year earlier than I posted. MDZ is two years away so he'd be a perfect player for Anaheim to ask for. Still in 2 years MDZ will likely command a 4-5 mil salary and I don't see Ana signing him if they could have just signed Ryan.
Bobby Ryan's a RFA, I'm guessing we can get him on a reasonable contract for a year or two, still have him as a RFA before we gave him a big contract...when Drury is off the books.

Old
06-11-2010, 02:04 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Man, Sather is a horrible GM but you guys are even worse...

Ryan is a very good player but you want to give away our best chips for him

Godzilla is a 240lb power monster in the making and you want to dump him...for what reason...because he struggled in Hartford as a 19 year...insane...you guys are the reason the Rangers suck so much...

lets give up everything for the guy...then he will score 35 goals in 65 games and we will still suck...

Don't you learn...the leafs traded top picks for Kessel and where did that get them.

These are the moves to make...

Sign Artyukin...play him with AA and eventually Godzilla...that line would offer so much...

Sign John Scott as 6th/7th dman, spare forward...

Let Vinny, Olie, Lisin walk...dump Voros in Hartford or anyone dump enough to take him..

Give Byers, Weiss and maybe even Kris Newbury a chance to make the team.
because our best chips couldn't hold Bobby Ryan's jock, other than Staal/MDZ.

The Leafs don't have a Gaborik or a Lundqvist, it's not an accurate comparison.

Artyukin...is awful. He's going to end up in the KHL before long.

Old
06-11-2010, 02:09 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
The Rangers have top 6 talent in the system, Godzilla, Kreider, Werek, MZA, Stepan and whoever they draft @ 10...plus, Gabby, AA, dubi...
they have no top 3 talent other than Gaborik. MAYBE Grachev.

Old
06-11-2010, 02:11 PM
RangerFan10

If the Rangers got Ryan without giving up Dubi or Callahan, there's no reason to really go out and sign another forward anyway.

Ryan, Christensen, Dubi, Gaborik, Anisimov, Callahan, MZA, Prust, Boyle, Byers, Avery, Drury, Weise, Voros...plus maybe re-signing Shelley.

So while it's all very hypothetical, I'm not sure why Nik Zherdev's name has even popped up in this thread.

Old
06-11-2010, 02:19 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
i'd say for us to get him they'd probably want something along the lines of grachev, girardi, #10 pick? I think that's pretty close
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserShot28 View Post
not even close.

The deal would have to include a 1st round pick, top flight prospect, and a quality NHL player.
1st round pick = #10 pick
top flight prospect = Grachev
quality NHL player = Girardi

I still wouldn't do it though

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 02:33 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Bobby Ryan's a RFA, I'm guessing we can get him on a reasonable contract for a year or two, still have him as a RFA before we gave him a big contract...when Drury is off the books.
You guess wrong. The only reason he might be available for trade is because anaheim can't sign him to a reasonable deal.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
because our best chips couldn't hold Bobby Ryan's jock, other than Staal/MDZ.

The Leafs don't have a Gaborik or a Lundqvist, it's not an accurate comparison.

Artyukin...is awful. He's going to end up in the KHL before long.
We both missed the playoffs...it is an accurate comparison...

I never claimed Artyukin was a superstar...but he would serve a point on a line with Anismov...that was the whole point...the kid played a much better game when he was protected.

You were probably crying when the Rangers got Prust.

Lets not overvaluve Ryan...he is a good player...not an elite player.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

He is a first line player at a young age and a legitimate goal scoring threat outside of Gaborik.

If the Ranger can get a package for this guy that doesn't involve Staal they should really consider it.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:29 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I think you're over stating how much Ryan is worth. I love him as a player but no way he will command 7-8 mil as an RFA, and I understand the concept of giving to get as much as anybody but Dubi, Girardi, 3 picks and 2 prospects is far too much for him in a trade.
Depends what the picks and prospects are. I only said 2, maybe the third. But really Dubs, Girardi, a 2nd a 3rd Sangs and Sauer for a 80 point guy is great in my book.

It seems like a lot but Girardi, Sangs and Sauer are replaceable within the next year or two. Only one has actually played for us ( not counting 5 game stints). McD and Heik, possibly Kundratek or a FA. are all knocking at the door although heik went back home he could return if a spot like that was open.

Plus since Ana is shopping him I'm thinking maybe he's asking for over the 5 he should be getting and is asking for 6-7. If I were ANA I'd sign for 6-7 no prob. i think this is all bs and they're not really looking to trade him and if I were the Rangers I would stand pat anyway.

But you pull in Bobby Ryan and you keep Grachev, MDZ, Staal, our 1st, kreider and Stepan? I take that.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
love how grachev is untouchable to some....u can only hope he develops in his prime into what ryan is as 22 year old....
precisely why i would trade him+ for Ryan. HUGE Grachev fan, but Bobby Ryan is already a star.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:54 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Depends what the picks and prospects are. I only said 2, maybe the third. But really Dubs, Girardi, a 2nd a 3rd Sangs and Sauer for a 80 point guy is great in my book.

It seems like a lot but Girardi, Sangs and Sauer are replaceable within the next year or two. Only one has actually played for us ( not counting 5 game stints). McD and Heik, possibly Kundratek or a FA. are all knocking at the door although heik went back home he could return if a spot like that was open.

Plus since Ana is shopping him I'm thinking maybe he's asking for over the 5 he should be getting and is asking for 6-7. If I were ANA I'd sign for 6-7 no prob. i think this is all bs and they're not really looking to trade him and if I were the Rangers I would stand pat anyway.

But you pull in Bobby Ryan and you keep Grachev, MDZ, Staal, our 1st, kreider and Stepan? I take that.
He's never scored 80 points. He most likely will soon, but hasn't yet, so he isn't an 80 point guy. 57 in 64 year 1, 64 in 81 in his 2nd year. Potential does come into play with any trade of course, but it still seems like a lot to give up to me.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
He's never scored 80 points. He most likely will soon, but hasn't yet, so he isn't an 80 point guy. 57 in 64 year 1, 64 in 81 in his 2nd year. Potential does come into play with any trade of course, but it still seems like a lot to give up to me.
My bad i just meant if u trade for him ur trading for an 80 point guy. If he was an assumed 60 point guy u wouldn't be trading for him like this. I'm all focused on his potentialn being reached when I look to trade for him. You better assume and be sure he'll be hitting that mark if u make the types of trades we're throwing out here haha.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I would offer

Stepan
McDonagh
NYR 2nd

for
Ryan

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Why is Ryan available if he is as great as some of you think he is?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Why is Ryan available if he is as great as some of you think he is?
$$$ on a team that already has some nice sized contracts in a salary capped NHL.

Having said that, I think I'd have Grachev, the 10th pick and someone like Anisimov in the discussion and see where it goes.

Bobby Ryan is already a 30 goal scorer, has a big body and is 23 years old. Those players simply do not come around very often. I don't think he's a superstar, but I don't think he has to be.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
$$$ on a team that already has some nice sized contracts in a salary capped NHL.
But if he's 23 years old and years away from free agency he's easier to keep than someone else looking for $5 million+. Something doesn't add up.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:53 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I would offer 2011 1st, 2012 1st, 2010 2nd
then waive redden, and sign Zherdev, and a defenseman to ensure we make the playoffs next yr.
Your right wing depth will look like

Gaborik
Ryan
Zherdev
MZA
Callahan (even if you flip MZA to LW which he can play, try telling this forum Callahan is on your 4th line)

meanwhile, you left wing is like

Dubi
Avery
Prust
Shelley
Voros

meanwhile your cap will be blown and one of our RFAs will not resign because we won't have enough money left, even if you waive Redden.

For Ryan, I would trade Sanguinetti/Sauer, Girardi/Gilroy, and our 2010 first and our 2011 2nd.

If we must part with Kreider, Grachev, Stepan, or McDonagh then I think it's one of the above, Girardi/Gilroy, + our 2011 1st but of course I will avoid trading those guys if possible. Still would rather get a 1st line center or 1st line LW to play with Gaborik.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
But if he's 23 years old and years away from free agency he's easier to keep than someone else looking for $5 million+. Something doesn't add up.
To an extent, but you also have younger guys like Getzlaf, Perry, etc.

And if the Ducks believe this a deep draft and they have a chance to draft twice in the first round, and add some young talent, it might just make sense.

I mean for that matter, why would the B's trade Kessel?

As with most players who are "available" the dream and the speculation is usually more fun than the reality.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:32 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I would offer

Stepan
McDonagh
NYR 2nd