Notices

Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?

Old
06-11-2010, 01:42 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 500
Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?

According to Russo, that may be the case!

Before we go, here's Adam Burish on Chris Pronger, and he doesn't mince words. Couldn't agree more with Burish on the terrible part. Two biggest games of the year, and Pronger was "terrible." He couldn't slash and cross-check the Flyers to the Cup. Of course, at least Pronger played. Incidentally, since it's looking like the Wild won't have an enforcer next year (Boogaard likely can get more money and longer deal than the Wild can give on the open market), it will likely go the team toughness route. Burish, a free agent, might be a good affordable way to start.

I say GOOD MOVE if the Wild go enforcerless!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 09:04 AM
BigT2002

Anything is better than a goon on skates

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:49 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

While I don't mind losing an enforcer we are one of the softest team in the West, if not the NHL.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:43 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
While I don't mind losing an enforcer we are one of the softest team in the West, if not the NHL.
And having a 6'7" freak who can't skate and only touches the ice 4mins out of 60 in only half the games in a season does nothing to change that anyway.

Like Russo said, team toughness is the way to go, and signing guys like Burish would go a long way towards that.

Old
06-11-2010, 09:20 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Burrish would be a step in the right direction...I'm trying not to rant

But seriously, we're going to be a ton softer than last year. i get the feeling a lot of people are more or less assuming wellman is going to be dressing for the wild. While two more guys who might be trying for a spot (Gillies and Almond) are not shy about playing physical, who else do we have in the pipeline? who could we target? physical forwards tend to be more valuable/popular at their skill levels than non physical forwards (lucic, or even carcillo, for example) so odds are pretty much against us prying a second-line capable physical guy away from anyone. How many more third and fourth liners can we field when we already have one sitting on our first line? We don't have enough space to take on the number of players it would take to give us any measurable improvement in team toughness. having only one poor overmatched ******* out there to take the heat is almost counterproductive. Well, i guess stoner will be out there for 15 or so games, too. already forgot about him.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 10:12 PM
nickschultzfan

The problem with Burish is that he's not the same player was prior to his knee injury.

Before his injury, he had decent speed, was feisty, and could actually score clutch goals. He even could play center. He was everything you wanted in a 4th liner. I really enjoyed watching him play for the Hawks. And if that Burish still existed, he would be a fantastic 4th liner, possibly center, for the wild.

But, this season, post-injury, he's definitely lost a step. He doesn't get into the other teams players as much. He's not getting to loose pucks. He's not getting those good scoring chances.

Maybe he'll return to his old form, but he might not. If that's the case, then you don't want to give him a 1 million/year contract, only to have him taking the space of some faster, younger player.

As for losing Boogaard, I'm ok with it. Bring up Kassian as your 14th forward if you need a heavy-weight. At least that guy can skate, and he actually has the hockey skills of an average person.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 10:48 PM
shleeban

ive heard cooke is a ufa rofl

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:48 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Still we're extremely soft on the top 6...I guess we can rush Gillies again.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:52 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

don't laugh...

Old
06-12-2010, 09:10 AM
shleeban

imagine the penalties wed draw with a line of clutterbuck-brodziak-cooke...

maybe it wouldnt be such a terrible idea...

hahaha

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shleeban View Post
ive heard cooke is a ufa rofl
Fletcher was part of the group that brought him to Pittsburgh and saw him play a role in their cup. It is a possibility.

As nickschultzfan said, Burish didn't look the same post-injury. Would be very hesitant to give him anything more than 1 year to prove himself.

Good news on the Boogaard front though. You can get a clown on skates for around the league minimum, so if someone wants to give Boogaard more than that let him move on.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:41 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Fletcher was part of the group that brought him to Pittsburgh and saw him play a role in their cup. It is a possibility.

As nickschultzfan said, Burish didn't look the same post-injury. Would be very hesitant to give him anything more than 1 year to prove himself.

Good news on the Boogaard front though. You can get a clown on skates for around the league minimum, so if someone wants to give Boogaard more than that let him move on.
Watch Tampa make a move for it as well. I'm sorry, I don't care how "soft" people think we are. The team does not get bullied around because Derek ****ing Boogaard is sitting on the bench. The only thing it does is keep the refs watchful eye on him for any little infraction to get him on because they think he is just trying to get something going so he can actually contribute. Cause lord knows he isn't going to score a goal any time soon.

Old
06-12-2010, 03:38 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i predict the number of hits will go down significantly next year (if we do nothing to address our toughness issues but sign burrish)
please quote me on that.

Old
06-12-2010, 05:12 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i predict the number of hits will go down significantly next year (if we do nothing to address our toughness issues but sign burrish)
please quote me on that.
How many hits will be out of with Boogaard gone??

Old
06-12-2010, 09:47 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Not many, as Boogaard missed on most of his attempts to hit anyone anyway.

Old
06-13-2010, 03:44 AM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Heh, he played 57 games last year. 83 hits for a real nice average of 1.45 hits a game. So...the answer is, not enough to be worth it. Waste of a roster space.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 03:52 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Nothing was funnier than being at the X, watching Boogaard miss hitting someone by like 5-6', as the player he tried to hit was simply WAY too fast for him... yet the moment the fans heard the sound of Boogaard crashing into an empty spot on the boards, the crowd would cheer as if he actually did something...

Old
06-13-2010, 08:25 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Nothing was funnier than being at the X, watching Boogaard miss hitting someone by like 5-6', as the player he tried to hit was simply WAY too fast for him... yet the moment the fans heard the sound of Boogaard crashing into an empty spot on the boards, the crowd would cheer as if he actually did something...
I was the classless drunken STH you sat next to when you did that who would scream after everyone stopped cheering saying "HE DIDN'T HIT ANYTHING BUT BOARD WTF ARE YOU CHEERING FOR?!"

Old
06-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Kari Takko

By critiquing Boogaard's game you're missing the point. Boogie brings fans to the game and sells jerseys. If you take a look at revenue vs dollars earned, I bet Boogaard's ratio is one of the best in the league. He attracts a lot of dollars.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 09:33 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Takko View Post
By critiquing Boogaard's game you're missing the point. Boogie brings fans to the game and sells jerseys. If you take a look at revenue vs dollars earned, I bet Boogaard's ratio is one of the best in the league. He attracts a lot of dollars.
This is treu, but I'd rather not care about the dollars he attracts and spend that money on someone who can actually contribute to the team.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Kari Takko

I agree. I want Mike Rupp on our team. He can score goals and bruise faces.

Old
06-13-2010, 10:41 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

*sigh*

i should have explained further, but if you read any of my previous opinions on the subject of "enforcers" you would know that I believe having a big guy back there gives the other players more confidence to play edgy/hitty.

that's what I meant. seriously, people, why would you think I meant we'd just be missing hits by boogaard (and his insignificant ice time)?

Old
06-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Kari Takko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
*sigh*

i should have explained further, but if you read any of my previous opinions on the subject of "enforcers" you would know that I believe having a big guy back there gives the other players more confidence to play edgy/hitty.

that's what I meant. seriously, people, why would you think I meant we'd just be missing hits by boogaard (and his insignificant ice time)?
Folks who don't want an enforcer don't know what they're talking about. Like Ryn said, enforcers (or at the very least tough guys) help a team play with more confidence. The Red Wings have played with a lot less toughness since McCarty left.

Old
06-13-2010, 11:15 AM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Maybe we need a poll here because there seems to be a clear rift of opinion on the this one? There are certain games (mostly road games) where a true enforcer helps the team play with more confidence. However, there are other times when they can be useless.

I say let's pack our napsacks with everything we need to start this year's camping trip. I think we need an enforcer.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:59 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Takko View Post
I want to meet fans who give up on the Wild because they let Boogie walk.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote