-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
You guys need to think big picture...yes, Boogaard is a fan favorite, but if they bring in another hulking goon who can't shoot, can't skate, can't play, but can fight, they get to sell another 10,000 jerseys!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 04:42 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Colorado doesn't have a goon or all that much steel, and they did fine. Same with Detroit. Skill trumps steel anyday.
While Foote has aged they have him and Salei. They also had Koci. They had Tucker as well. They had a guy named Durno. And Hendricks. They had a few steel players. Oh and Stewart!

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 04:44 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You guys need to think big picture...yes, Boogaard is a fan favorite, but if they bring in another hulking goon who can't shoot, can't skate, can't play, but can fight, they get to sell another 10,000 jerseys!
Make it 20,000. There has to be another grinding 3rd liner everyone loves dilly-dallying in the AHL.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 06:27 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
if stoner plays even halfway decent they'll sell a tonne of those jerseys.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 07:13 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Takko View Post
They did better when they had McCarty.

Is Carcillo a FA? He's the kind of sandpaper-guy-with-skill that we could use.
Except McCarty wasn't a goon like Boogaard was, he was a true 3rd/4th line player who just happened to be extremely tough.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Kari Takko

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
While Foote has aged they have him and Salei. They also had Koci. They had Tucker as well. They had a guy named Durno. And Hendricks. They had a few steel players. Oh and Stewart!
Hendricks isn't a fighter. He'll throw, but he's not a fighter.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Kari Takko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Except McCarty wasn't a goon like Boogaard was, he was a true 3rd/4th line player who just happened to be extremely tough.
And that's the kind of toughness we need. You can categorize McCarty 2 ways. Either he's what you say he is or he's a fighter who can play a 3rd/4th line role. Either way he's an asset.

If we signed Ladd and Carcillo (and I understand both are RFA's) we'd have a lot of team toughness.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:20 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Takko View Post
And that's the kind of toughness we need. You can categorize McCarty 2 ways. Either he's what you say he is or he's a fighter who can play a 3rd/4th line role. Either way he's an asset.

If we signed Ladd and Carcillo (and I understand both are RFA's) we'd have a lot of team toughness.
Either way, Boogaard does not fit the category of player that McCarty did. We do not need a player like Boogaard AT ALL.

Old
06-16-2010, 10:08 PM
MK9

Quote:
BTW I still think this means free runs at our players. Havlat, Bouchard, Wellman, Lats. Opponents really don't have to care if they injure one of our players as we'll have no one to stick up for them.
Sure. Because that doesn't happen already with him IN the lineup.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:40 PM
mnwildgophers

Latendresse has shown to play with his big body, I'm not so much worried about him as I am with Wellman and Havlat. I don't think we should spend $1M on a goon that plays 2 minutes a night. We don't have much else in the "toughness" department, but we have a couple of tough dudes on the blue-line that I wouldn't worry about it too much.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:47 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
Sure. Because that doesn't happen already with him IN the lineup.
I remember when we didn't have Boogie or Johnson in the line up...that was brutal.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:01 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Latendresse has shown to play with his big body, I'm not so much worried about him as I am with Wellman and Havlat. I don't think we should spend $1M on a goon that plays 2 minutes a night. We don't have much else in the "toughness" department, but we have a couple of tough dudes on the blue-line that I wouldn't worry about it too much.
wasn't Latendresse nicknamed "Tenderness" by some for his lack of physicality? Looks like he turned a corner here, but I wouldn't throw him into the gritty category just yet.

Old
06-17-2010, 12:24 AM
mnwildgophers

Russo's latest work...

-GMCF wants to keep his flexibility in regards to the cap.
-Boogaard wants to return, but probably won't here.
-GMCF also says that there's plenty of "gritty" forwards available via FA, I assume that he will go that route for team toughness.

Latendresse needs to continue to play the way he did here for the 55 games, we'll see if he can repeat. I see 25-30 goals out of him, and I want to see him to continue to use his size.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:54 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
I remember when we didn't have Boogie or Johnson in the line up...that was brutal.
I think you have a short memory here. Boogaard sitting on the bench doesn't stop anyone from running our players, as Boogie can't jump the boards to stand up for teammates. Being on the ice only 2-4mins/game gives him little to no chance to make anyone answer the call, as all the opposing coach has to do is have said player avoid the matchup. It's such a small amount of time, it's easy to prevent.

Now... having team toughness across the board (yes, the Wild have a ways to go yet, but it can be done), you can easily have multiple people willing to step up in such an occasion, without having to worry about forcing a liability onto the ice for such a thing.

Old
06-17-2010, 01:18 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Boogaard's Future With Wild Still Uncertain

Here's an interesting read from the Strib... One key note specifically: The big debate about Boogaard is putting a price on his limited ice time and role. Coach Todd Richards values the intimidation Boogaard provides, but he hasn't scored since 2006.

Asked if it's a necessity to possess an "enforcer" in today's game, Fletcher said, "It's a necessity in today's game to have grit and toughness in your lineup. Philosophically, if we can get to a team that could be a little bit more of a four-line team and be a team that had more depth and speed and grit throughout the lineup, that's where we'd like to get to eventually."

That could conceivably cost Boogaard his Wild job. Fletcher noted "there are several gritty players available" in free agency.

If the Wild goes the team toughness route over traditional enforcers such as Boogaard and fellow free agent John Scott, some gritty free agents include Manny Malhotra, Ryan Johnson, Arron Asham, Adam Burish, Colby Armstrong and Jamal Mayers.

I like how Fletcher thinks!

Old
06-17-2010, 01:59 AM
Vashanesh
Playoffs? Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Boogaard's Future With Wild Still Uncertain

Here's an interesting read from the Strib... One key note specifically: The big debate about Boogaard is putting a price on his limited ice time and role. Coach Todd Richards values the intimidation Boogaard provides, but he hasn't scored since 2006.

Asked if it's a necessity to possess an "enforcer" in today's game, Fletcher said, "It's a necessity in today's game to have grit and toughness in your lineup. Philosophically, if we can get to a team that could be a little bit more of a four-line team and be a team that had more depth and speed and grit throughout the lineup, that's where we'd like to get to eventually."

That could conceivably cost Boogaard his Wild job. Fletcher noted "there are several gritty players available" in free agency.

If the Wild goes the team toughness route over traditional enforcers such as Boogaard and fellow free agent John Scott, some gritty free agents include Manny Malhotra, Ryan Johnson, Arron Asham, Adam Burish, Colby Armstrong and Jamal Mayers.

I like how Fletcher thinks!
Any day of the week. I'd take one of those three in a heartbeat if the price was right.

Malhotra is a center, too, isn't he? I know he takes faceoffs at the least. Maybe that's the key to keeping Shep... Get someone else to do the work, and let him still play center?

Armstrong, as well. 15ish goals and 30ish pts? Sign me up.

Asham, I'm not going to lie, my Philly homerism comes out with him. He's the perfect "tough to play against" kinda guy. I'm pretty sure he could fit on all 30 teams bottom 6 though, so I get the impression that he'll get overpaid if he hits free agency.

This is exactly the sort of thing we need to do. If Fletch wants Clutter to be a top 6 forward, that's fine, otherwise it'd be GREAT to have someone other than him and hopefully Kobasew tossing some hits and being physical in the bottom 6 while not being zero-dimensional like Boogaard.

We need more Carcillo-type players than a Boogaard-type player. And it at least seems as though Fletch agrees.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Any day of the week. I'd take one of those three in a heartbeat if the price was right.

Malhotra is a center, too, isn't he? I know he takes faceoffs at the least. Maybe that's the key to keeping Shep... Get someone else to do the work, and let him still play center?

Armstrong, as well. 15ish goals and 30ish pts? Sign me up.

Asham, I'm not going to lie, my Philly homerism comes out with him. He's the perfect "tough to play against" kinda guy. I'm pretty sure he could fit on all 30 teams bottom 6 though, so I get the impression that he'll get overpaid if he hits free agency.

This is exactly the sort of thing we need to do. If Fletch wants Clutter to be a top 6 forward, that's fine, otherwise it'd be GREAT to have someone other than him and hopefully Kobasew tossing some hits and being physical in the bottom 6 while not being zero-dimensional like Boogaard.

We need more Carcillo-type players than a Boogaard-type player. And it at least seems as though Fletch agrees.
Asham looked like he has a pretty decent set of hands in the playoffs this year if I recall things properly.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:18 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

there are several but how many do we have places for? at least we know his plan is in line with what most of us want, but i don't see how we could afford to field more than one of these guys over getting some depth in the scoring department...Roster spots I'm talking about. We have too many non-scoring forwards already. Is Sutton still a FA? We'd be better off if we could grab a gritty defenseman to go along with one of these guys IMO. Stoner could develop into that, but I'm really skeptical about his ability to stay healthy while playing a hard game. If we can keep Nolan for reasonable money we'd be fairly well off.

Old
06-17-2010, 09:20 AM
BigT2002

Armstrong would be AMAZING to have. Guy busts his ass off

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:23 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

former penguin. it's a pretty safe bet that would be Fletcher's preference.

Old
06-17-2010, 09:28 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
former penguin. it's a pretty safe bet that would be Fletcher's preference.
I would assume this team is going to be a rendition of them at this point. I'm fine with that I guess.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:57 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

wouldn't mind a copy of that, but it isn't going to be as successful if we can't find ourselves a crosby and/or malkin.

Old
06-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Armstrong would definitely be a guy I'd love to have on the Wild. Burish too.

Old
06-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Latendresse literally translates to "The Tenderness"...it's not a nickname, it's his name in English.

Boogaard hasn't prevented squat. He was in the lineup when Johnsson got sucker punched by May, he was in the lineup when Koivu got slashed by Ohlund, he was in the lineup when Burrows speared Bouchard, he was in the lineup when Torrey Mitchell tripped Foster and broke his leg, he was in the lineup when Ott elbowed Sykora in the back of the head, he was in the lineup when Gonchar elbowed Clutterbuck with the flying leap...

Tell me again, what is he preventing?