HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2010, 02:22 PM
  #76
ChexLeMeneux
Registered User
 
ChexLeMeneux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Tell me again, what is he preventing?

His spot on the bench from getting cold.

ChexLeMeneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 02:28 PM
  #77
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,370
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Latendresse literally translates to "The Tenderness"...it's not a nickname, it's his name in English.

Boogaard hasn't prevented squat. He was in the lineup when Johnsson got sucker punched by May, he was in the lineup when Koivu got slashed by Ohlund, he was in the lineup when Burrows speared Bouchard, he was in the lineup when Torrey Mitchell tripped Foster and broke his leg, he was in the lineup when Ott elbowed Sykora in the back of the head, he was in the lineup when Gonchar elbowed Clutterbuck with the flying leap...

Tell me again, what is he preventing?
what is he preventing...hmmm...some teams from fielding a full roster of starters.


my turn to be a broken record: Confidence booster. other guys play more physical because they know if someone takes exception someone else on the team will answer for it. Or at least not chase them all over the ice trying to get them to fight because they know Boogaard will just do the same. Did it work for Laraque vs. Lucic? He never got him to fight, but Lucic definitely wasn't playing the same game he normally does.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
  #78
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I would assume this team is going to be a rendition of them at this point. I'm fine with that I guess.
Well the team toughness aspect seems to come from Anaheim, so I bet it's a hybrid of all his stops.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 03:06 PM
  #79
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
what is he preventing...hmmm...some teams from fielding a full roster of starters.


my turn to be a broken record: Confidence booster. other guys play more physical because they know if someone takes exception someone else on the team will answer for it. Or at least not chase them all over the ice trying to get them to fight because they know Boogaard will just do the same. Did it work for Laraque vs. Lucic? He never got him to fight, but Lucic definitely wasn't playing the same game he normally does.
So would you say the Wild has been a very physical team the last several years?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 07:26 PM
  #80
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,370
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
So would you say the Wild has been a very physical team the last several years?
no, not particularly. that is kind of what scares me about this...if we were in the top 10 as far as over-all toughness went I wouldn't worry about it at all, but none of our top six are what anyone would call aggressive, and our bottom six now with Nolan gone...Clutterbuck and Sheppard are it. Defense will get at least marginally better skill wise (subbing anyone else for Scott and Hnidy) but it too will take a step down in physical aggressiveness.

got the Latendresse/Tenderness translation, but i did remember habs fans complaining that he played small. he's the only one in the top six that was actively hitting people. I'm reserving judgement on that being the natural state of his game until I see him play a season he isn't trying to prove something.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:28 AM
  #81
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
This conversation is why I would want Corvo on a 2 year deal over Martin. Corvo is not only a good defensive minded blue liner, he can chip in points AND he's an effin bad azz.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:50 AM
  #82
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,397
vCash: 500
My point is, if Boogaard was supposed to prevent guys from taking runs at our players, he didn't. If he was supposed to allow our guys to take some liberties and not have to answer the bell, they didn't.

He did two things: occasionally fight and eat up cap space. We don't need either.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:12 AM
  #83
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
AND he's an effin bad azz.


Eh. I'd lean more towards; wanna' be tool box.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:33 AM
  #84
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,985
vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
My point is, if Boogaard was supposed to prevent guys from taking runs at our players, he didn't. If he was supposed to allow our guys to take some liberties and not have to answer the bell, they didn't.

He did two things: occasionally fight and eat up cap space. We don't need either.
That's how I see it as well.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:57 AM
  #85
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
My point is, if Boogaard was supposed to prevent guys from taking runs at our players, he didn't. If he was supposed to allow our guys to take some liberties and not have to answer the bell, they didn't.

He did two things: occasionally fight and eat up cap space. We don't need either.
That's the issue because in theory his presence and reputation should be enough to withstand players taking shots on Havlat, Koivu, etc. However, it's sort of become a double-edge sword as no one will fight him anymore which takes Boogaard and his expensive enforcer ass out of the lineup half the time; making him a glorified Hanson brother.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:18 PM
  #86
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,985
vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
However, it's sort of become a double-edge sword as no one will fight him anymore which takes Boogaard and his expensive enforcer ass out of the lineup half the time; making him a glorified Hanson brother.
You mean this guy?


Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:22 PM
  #87
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,829
vCash: 500
Somebody better buy him a soda after the game.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:56 PM
  #88
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 14,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
My point is, if Boogaard was supposed to prevent guys from taking runs at our players, he didn't. If he was supposed to allow our guys to take some liberties and not have to answer the bell, they didn't.

He did two things: occasionally fight and eat up cap space. We don't need either.
Absolutely agree. The simple fact that he can hardly get on the ice to make people answer the call is why players of his type are on their way out of the league to begin with.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:35 PM
  #89
MK9
Registered User
 
MK9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Andover, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Absolutely agree. The simple fact that he can hardly get on the ice to make people answer the call is why players of his type are on their way out of the league to begin with.
Couple that with the similarly simple fact that he can't brush another player without getting called just adds to the drawbacks.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.