HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Traverse City NHL Prospects Tournament

Old
09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
Ha picking right where we left off last season. Posts and let downs.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
AJRanger

5-4 with 1 second to go. Game over.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:40 PM
ThirdEye

Oh well, at least they got one more goal in there haha

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:42 PM
AJRanger

That goal should secure the fifth place game tomorrow as they own the breaker over Columbus.

Old
09-14-2010, 04:56 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

kinda weak tourny for these guys.

we had 2 nice lines. 1 through 6 pretty strong. and perhaps the best player in the tourny in stepan.

2 solid pairs on defense.

goaltending was suspect especially scotty stajcer who i thought would be solid. talbot actually outplayed him and played pretty well.

no way the brass will happy with this years results.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:00 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Offense seems solid, i'm not less excited about Stepan at all. Goaltending is just atrocious, imo.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Blazephr

my question is...why did they skip all of the optional practices?

nice to see McIlrath leading the team with a +4.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:18 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
my question is...why did they skip all of the optional practices?

nice to see McIlrath leading the team with a +4.
from all accounts, he had a solid tourny.

hes raw but theres something there for sure.

no fights is a disappointment for me though.

one more game left to see the monster from winnipeg

Old
09-14-2010, 05:22 PM
JimmyStart*

I don't like some of the cirtiques i'm reading. I think they were based off of too high expectations. I seriously didn't think this was a great lineup at all. That top line is prob the best in the tourny but behind that there's not much and the goalie's are well...not good. Thomas, McI, Werek are gonna get better. Other than those 3 the only other two players worth mentioning are Step and Tess but likely neither will be in this thing next year. What did tess do the first two games? I don't remember his game which means take his performance against Minny w a grain of salt.

You get a team like Minny and their experience really shines through, same with the hot goalie it vastly trumps having guys like...well most of this team haha. Dissappointing to see Niemi and Kundratek got taken out. I don't remember reading that it was b/c of them having too much pro experience so was it poor play?

What we all should have wanted was to see solid D out of McD and McI and for the Step line to be the best. That's exactly what happenned. I'm very happy w the tourny.

Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking but that's the way I thought about it.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:25 PM
AJRanger

Niemi had been pretty awful judging by some of the stuff people were posting on twitter, especially defensively.

Old
09-14-2010, 05:34 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
I don't like some of the cirtiques i'm reading. I think they were based off of too high expectations. I seriously didn't think this was a great lineup at all. That top line is prob the best in the tourny but behind that there's not much and the goalie's are well...not good. Thomas, McI, Werek are gonna get better. Other than those 3 the only other two players worth mentioning are Step and Tess but likely neither will be in this thing next year. What did tess do the first two games? I don't remember his game which means take his performance against Minny w a grain of salt.

You get a team like Minny and their experience really shines through, same with the hot goalie it vastly trumps having guys like...well most of this team haha. Dissappointing to see Niemi and Kundratek got taken out. I don't remember reading that it was b/c of them having too much pro experience so was it poor play?

What we all should have wanted was to see solid D out of McD and McI and for the Step line to be the best. That's exactly what happenned. I'm very happy w the tourny.

huh ?

grachev is worth mentioning. horak too. and andrew yogan is a sleeper kid. we were pretty stacked at forward 1-6 heck even 1-9.

defensively we look like we werent quite sharp enough.

Old
09-14-2010, 06:00 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post

Very true, I think we'd all be pretty stoked if the team went 0-4, but our top players were amazing.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:36 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

blaaaaah

was Stacjer in goal today?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:17 PM
ThirdEye

I only players I really cared about in this tournament were Stepan, Grachev, Thomas, Tessier (didn't know much about him), Werek, McIlrath, McDonagh and to some extent Borque. Based on what I've read most of these guys have been good to excellent.

Stats so far for these guys:

GP G A P +/-
Stepan: 3 1 3 4 +3
Grachev 3 3 0 3 +2
McDonagh 3 0 2 2 +3
Borque 3 1 1 2 +2
Tessier 2 1 1 2 0
Thomas 3 1 0 1 +3
Werek 3 1 0 1 +1
McIlrath 3 0 0 0 +4

You can't really ask for much more than that. The reason we've lost the last two games is because the bottom two lines and pairings have contributed almost nothing

Last edited by ThirdEye: 09-14-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old
09-14-2010, 07:54 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Disappointed the most in Werek. Granted it's a short tournament, but I expected him to be amongst team leaders in points.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Disappointed the most in Werek. Granted it's a short tournament, but I expected him to be amongst team leaders in points.
What kind of ice time is he getting and who are his linemates?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:42 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
It's only been 3 games, its ok. From what I gather he's been pretty decent actually, just hasn't been that lucky

Old
09-15-2010, 03:16 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
huh ?

grachev is worth mentioning. horak too. and andrew yogan is a sleeper kid. we were pretty stacked at forward 1-6 heck even 1-9.

defensively we look like we werent quite sharp enough.
I thought I said Grachev my mistake if I didn't.

I thought hard about Horak and i'm eh on him same with yogan but for a different reason, Regardless Next year those two will be in the same position as Werek was this year so no i don;t think they're worth mentioning yet only b/c they'll need one more year b4 we start to see if they really have anything special.

But yea with all the talk on this board about grachev and his past performances you prob shoulda figured out that leaving out Grachev was a mistake. haha Especially since I at least alluded to the top line several time.s

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:04 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:

Not his fault as he was kinda all over the place and a little misused in this tournament due to the major talent drop off after the top 6 guys (Stepan, Grachev, Thomas, Bourque, Werek, and Horak).

First off he was playing center and he should really be a winger like he is in the OHL as he has a grinding North-South game. At center, there's more responsibility and less time to hit and grind and muck. He also had third line duties with Mknaught for a game which is going to limit his scoring.

He did fine on PK too from what they said.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 06:19 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Not his fault as he was kinda all over the place and a little misused in this tournament due to the major talent drop off after the top 6 guys (Stepan, Grachev, Thomas, Bourque, Werek, and Horak).

First off he was playing center and he should really be a winger like he is in the OHL as he has a grinding North-South game. At center, there's more responsibility and less time to hit and grind and muck. He also had third line duties with Mknaught for a game which is going to limit his scoring.

He did fine on PK too from what they said.
Werek has always been a center

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 06:55 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

correct. ethan is a centerman.

the stuff werek is good at wont appear on the stat sheet necessarily.

hes got a great shot, passes well and hes good in close but he does other stuff too. hes very smart when hes on the ice. the fact that he plays the pk while not a great skater shows his hockey smarts.

his problem is hes not fleet of foot. not a bad thing, but speed and quickness arent his strengths. hell make his living around the net and honestly, thats a good thing.

he will be a pro soon though. hes perhaps the future 3c for this organization long term.

Old
09-15-2010, 10:30 AM
The_Great_1

So it looks like the Stars have the tiebreaker with a win over the Blues. So its Rangers vs Stars for 5th/6th place today at 2:30. Will be updating as its the last NYR game of the tourney. Pics from yesterday's and today's games will be uploaded sometime tomorrow.

The_Great_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Ola

Stephan=bust?

Zero pts in the last two games.

How about the positioning of McD?

Nah, just kidding, but these tournaments are good for one thing and one thing only. Go and watch the games and see how talented the kids are. Can one judge a players positioning in a game like this? Positioning in the NHL today is about playing together as a 5 man unit were you pressure your guy all over the ice basically, if thats what it takes. Nobody can display that kind of positioning-skill by playing with kids that don't know eachother in a junior tournament.

When it comes to results, a team with 18-19 y/o 1st rounders probably would get their rears handed to them by a team of 21-22 y/o's. Not to mention that its hockey we are talking about, Jeff Toms can score a hat-trick in one game and its not uncommon that a bottom 5 team in the NHL beats a top 5 team.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Ola

Stephan=bust?

Zero pts in the last two games.

How about the positioning of McD?

Nah, just kidding, but these tournaments are good for one thing and one thing only. Go and watch the games and see how talented the kids are. Can one judge a players positioning in a game like this? Positioning in the NHL today is about playing together as a 5 man unit were you pressure your guy all over the ice basically, if thats what it takes. Nobody can display that kind of positioning-skill by playing with kids that don't know eachother in a junior tournament.

When it comes to results, a team with 18-19 y/o 1st rounders probably would get their rears handed to them by a team of 21-22 y/o's. Not to mention that its hockey we are talking about, Jeff Toms can score a hat-trick in one game and its not uncommon that a bottom 5 team in the NHL beats a top 5 team.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:55 PM
may know

deleted

Last edited by may know: 11-19-2010 at 10:19 PM.
may know is offline   Reply With Quote