HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Goaltenders Available.

Old
06-13-2010, 03:58 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Turco/Nabokov= Same lineup basically.
Price/Halak= We have to trade people
Yes, I know that. I'm not saying shake up the entire lineup. If the Flyers could get Halak, with only giving up one of their forwards, then I say Hell Yea do it! Maybe Gagne if it was possible. And the Flyers aren't a bad offensive team like the Bruins. The Flyers actually have the depth to overcome it.

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 04:15 PM
decadentia

I don't understand where all the hype has come for Dan Ellis. I've seen him play, he seems alright (though more of a backup to me). His stats are nothing impressive, and played behind a good D-Core and system.

He's nothing but another bandaid in my opinion.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 04:23 PM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I don't understand where all the hype has come for Dan Ellis. I've seen him play, he seems alright (though more of a backup to me). His stats are nothing impressive, and played behind a good D-Core and system.

He's nothing but another bandaid in my opinion.
i completely agree. i love nashville's D. while our D is likely better, i don't think we can count on ellis putting up much more than a .91 save percentage, and that is very wishful thinking. for FA's, I'd rather Turco for one year then bryzgalov or vokoun for 2 years after that while the prospects have a chance to really develop. Although the thought of nabbing price while his value isn't that great is growing on me.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 06:08 PM
lancer247

What is Minny doing with Harding?

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 06:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Turco.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 07:36 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I'd take Turco and Nabby with that deal, too, but there's no way they're coming that cheap, not even Turco. We're being too hopeful here, there are other teams who'd love to have these goalies. Sure, maybe one of the good to great ones out there wants to play for a legit contender and will take a small cut, but not like that when there will be big offers on the table.

A trade for a guy like Price would be nice, I think he'd be good away from the enormous pressure of playing in Montreal, but the price for Price might be too high.
See, I beg to differ on Turco coming cheap. Fact is, Washington could conceivably make a big splash by bringing in Nabokov. And, if they do something like that, Turco's options are really limited as to where he can go. I don't think San Jose will go after Turco and most teams already have their goaltending solidified. The only exception I can think of might be Tampa Bay, but I don't think Yzerman is going to sign a 34 year old goaltender who is probably looking for a run or two at Lord Stanley before his career is up.

Philadelphia and Turco are the perfect fit for each other. The Flyers need that steady goaltender and Turco needs a team built for a playoff run. I can very easily see Turco accepting a two year/7.5 million deal to come to town.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:15 PM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Philadelphia and Turco are the perfect fit for each other. The Flyers need that steady goaltender and Turco needs a team built for a playoff run. I can very easily see Turco accepting a two year/7.5 million deal to come to town.
you really think he'll command nearly 4 mil a year? if a run at the lord stanley is truly his only goal at this point, why would he ask for that much money?

Old
06-13-2010, 08:20 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
you really think he'll command nearly 4 mil a year? if a run at the lord stanley is truly his only goal at this point, why would he ask for that much money?
What number do you think he comes in at? 3 seems the least we could get Turco for. I don't like him, but I can't see him signing for less than 3.5-4?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:24 PM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
What number do you think he comes in at? 3 seems the least we could get Turco for. I don't like him, but I can't see him signing for less than 3.5-4?
well if a cup is on his mind right around 3 seems about right to me. that is an assumption though. he could conceivably get 4, but not under the assumptions B.C.F.16 was making.

Old
06-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Tags27

Turco = Vanbiesbrouck pt II

Tags27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 09:09 PM
ilovetheflyers8

What about Niitty? He played in 49 games last season (44 full games I guess?).
21 W, 18 L, 5 OT
Save Percentage .909
GAA 2.87

I don't know if Holmgren would want to bring him back or if Niitty would want to come back. I'm guessing he is looking for a longer term deal, and I don't know if that is what the Flyers would want to give anyone.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 09:22 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tags27 View Post
Turco = Vanbiesbrouck pt II
One liners = little content = no context to the equation

I'll give you goaltender at decline of his career. Though 34 is still not that old for a goaltender to perform.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 09:53 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
well if a cup is on his mind right around 3 seems about right to me. that is an assumption though. he could conceivably get 4, but not under the assumptions B.C.F.16 was making.
3.75 per year for Turco is more than adequate. You're forgetting that even behind that crappy Dallas defense, his numbers were very good, especially his save percentage. Put Turco behind the Philadelphia defense and he's all of a sudden golden. I'd give him 3.75 million a year and then all this crap of the goalie carousel comes to an end. The definitive starter comes in, no questions asked.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:23 AM
onetimer

Canuck fan here. I think Schneider for Parent is something that would work for both sides.

onetimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:09 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
3.75 per year for Turco is more than adequate. You're forgetting that even behind that crappy Dallas defense, his numbers were very good, especially his save percentage. Put Turco behind the Philadelphia defense and he's all of a sudden golden. I'd give him 3.75 million a year and then all this crap of the goalie carousel comes to an end. The definitive starter comes in, no questions asked.
you make good points. perhaps it's a bit of wishful thinking on my part that turco would play for cheap for a contender. i would be pleased if the flyers signed him for anything below 3.5. beyond that, my reaction would probably be "ok". I do however think it would be a mistake to sign him for more than 1 year (which could drive up the price a bit too...) since vokoun and bryzgalov will be FA's the following year.

Old
06-14-2010, 07:17 AM
jb**

Quote:
See, I beg to differ on Turco coming cheap. Fact is, Washington could conceivably make a big splash by bringing in Nabokov. And, if they do something like that, Turco's options are really limited as to where he can go. I don't think San Jose will go after Turco and most teams already have their goaltending solidified. The only exception I can think of might be Tampa Bay, but I don't think Yzerman is going to sign a 34 year old goaltender who is probably looking for a run or two at Lord Stanley before his career is up.

I also dotn see turco getting anymore than 3.5 max. If a GM plays his cards rigth he can be had for 3mm or less imo for 2 years. Again it comes down to trusting shooter and i dont. Nabby will still get a decent amoutn and term so i dont think he is an option unless they would like him to mentor the other rushkie down the line.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:25 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:

I could definitely see the Caps going after Nabokov, but they have a lot of roster turnover and probably need to see how their cap looks after getting Backstrom signed and filling out their D. Varlamov isn't ready for prime time, but I don't know if they're going to give up on him now. Signing a goalie who has played 70+ games twice the past two years sends that message.

I do think Turco would be a great fit for the Flyers, and I hope they pursue him, but you don't want to jump on it too early and overpay, and you don't want to get stuck in a bidding war. San Jose very well could go after Turco. They're going to reload this year and go right back after the Cup, and Greiss won't be taking them there.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Tags27

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
One liners = little content = no context to the equation

I'll give you goaltender at decline of his career. Though 34 is still not that old for a goaltender to perform.
Sorry, exalted one.

You = awesomeness

Turco is awful. How's that?

Tags27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:12 AM
FlyersMania2

so much talk about the "has-been's" - Turco
"coulda-been's"- Ellis, Mason, Price, etc.
etc.

Flyers need to NOT repeat the past - see: Emery (if he was so good y did he fail epicly against Anaheim in the SCP and y did he get shipped to Russia - no one else wanted him)
Leighton: 9 different teams shuffled him around...if he was a legit starter that would have NEVER happened
Biron: Hmm Buffalo went out and picked a goalie in the first round (miller) - if he was so good, why would they have done that?

We need a LEGIT starter...and no, not Nabakov, ultimate composure liability

Granted I am so picky when it comes to goaltenders...still we need to give up what it takes (Carter or Carle, whatever) to get a proven high-caliber goalie.

I will admit, I don't know much about Justin Quick...but I've heard great things, is he a good choice?

If I had my way I would send whoever over to Phoenix and take Bryzgalov off their hands. I have been impressed with him since Anaheim had to dump him.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:23 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Nitty was the most inconsistant of that whole bunch. I liked him a lot but he was very hot and cold.
This. I can't remember how many times I threw my hands in the air, and watched Niity looking over his shoulder. Hell I remember a goal that rolled on the ice, and up and over his right shoulder.

I think Niity was a great backup, but unreliable. I wish we could have pekka rinne, honestly. But THATS never gonna happen.

Niemi would be a good candidate, IMO... but good lock getting to him this year.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:01 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
so much talk about the "has-been's" - Turco
"coulda-been's"- Ellis, Mason, Price, etc.
etc.

Flyers need to NOT repeat the past - see: Emery (if he was so good y did he fail epicly against Anaheim in the SCP and y did he get shipped to Russia - no one else wanted him)
Leighton: 9 different teams shuffled him around...if he was a legit starter that would have NEVER happened
Biron: Hmm Buffalo went out and picked a goalie in the first round (miller) - if he was so good, why would they have done that?

We need a LEGIT starter...and no, not Nabakov, ultimate composure liability

Granted I am so picky when it comes to goaltenders...still we need to give up what it takes (Carter or Carle, whatever) to get a proven high-caliber goalie.

I will admit, I don't know much about Justin Quick...but I've heard great things, is he a good choice?

If I had my way I would send whoever over to Phoenix and take Bryzgalov off their hands. I have been impressed with him since Anaheim had to dump him.
Jonathan Quick you mean? I've seen plenty of him. He does what it takes to stop the puck, but he's not a top flight starter. Guys like Ellis and Mason are more technically sound (read: less Leightony) than Quick. Bryzgalov is one piece that won't be moving, he's the biggest reason the Coyotes made the playoffs.

Starting to hear more and more that the Caps are at least pretending to be content with the idea of a tandem of Varlamov and Neuvirth, maybe with a cheap veteran being brought in. Doubt that they'll go after Nabokov or even Turco. It makes more sense for us to go after a UFA. I don't buy that a guy like Nabokov has composure issues or that he's a choker. San Jose rode him hard in the regular season and it bit them in the rear when they tried to lean on him in the playoffs.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimer View Post
Canuck fan here. I think Schneider for Parent is something that would work for both sides.
That would be a huge deal for the Flyers. I can't see the Canucks doing that without getting a decent pick along with Parent. He's $900K for the next two seasons ... just need to pick the right backup or 1A. A deal with Vancouver might look better with Boucher (to back-up Luongo) in it, and Leighton then signed to battle for playing time with Schneider.

Also, it looks like Nabby might not be there on July 1.

http://www.sharkspage.com/?p=893

All this will probably end up with Robert Esche in goal on Oct. 7.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 07:13 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Little info on Ellis:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/l...ailable-summer

Quote:
And that might be the intriguing play come the first week of July: Will these free-agent goalies hold out for more money or grab hold of the first secure job offered to them? With so many goalies available, teams might have the upper hand in terms of salary negotiation. That's fine with Ellis, who hopes to sell himself as a bargain so as to find a good fit.

"I'm hoping to find my niche where I'm a cheaper option than the $4 million and $5 million guys, maybe an option for a team that's feeling the cap crunch," said Ellis, who turns 30 on Saturday. "I'm not a huge money guy. I live in Omaha, Neb., in the summertime. My most important thing is to find a team who I can win with."
I like Turco but think I would be fine with Ellis

Quote:
If there's one team I think would be a great fit for Turco, it's the Philadelphia Flyers; but I'm not sure the team feels the same way. One has to presume Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is having second thoughts about Leighton after the journeyman goalie was pulled twice in the Cup finals. If the price is right, 34-year-old Turco would be a solid improvement, and he has the kind of unflappable personality needed in the goalie graveyard that is Philadelphia.

But again, it depends on money. Turco would have to come cheaper than the $5.4 million he earned this past season in Dallas; the Flyers don't have a lot of cap room, and Holmgren told ESPN.com during the Cup finals that he didn't believe in overspending in goal unless one had Martin Brodeur or Ryan Miller in net.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
What about Niitty? He played in 49 games last season (44 full games I guess?).
21 W, 18 L, 5 OT
Save Percentage .909
GAA 2.87

I don't know if Holmgren would want to bring him back or if Niitty would want to come back. I'm guessing he is looking for a longer term deal, and I don't know if that is what the Flyers would want to give anyone.
I actually think this or Michael Leighton, on one year deals is the best option. You don't want to sign a guy like Marty Turco to 3.5-4M for more then 1 year and then only have maybe 15M in cap space next season to sign 10 players including Carter, Gagne, Leino and Giroux. It's better to maintain flexibility this year with second tier type guys and then have the option of letting a guy like Gagne walk and go after a tier 1 guy next season like Vokoun or Bryzgalov and be able to re-sign Carter, Gagne and Giroux.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Tripod

You have to figure that some Goalies and Agents will remember what happened to Biron last year and they will try and sign quickly instead of trying to hold-out for more $. I believe Philly can get a UFA goalie in either Turco, Ellis or Mason for 2 mill

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote