HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drafting 27th doesn't excite me at all...

Old
06-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Joey

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
It is so wrong to punish teams that play blood and guts hockey in the PO.
I agree but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Cup Winner draft 30th no matter what

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Pascal

That rule is ********. Why doesn't it work both ways? If the #1 team loses in the 1st round why don't they move up in the draft? The regular season is 82 games and will tell a lot more about a team in terms of talent than a potentially magical run of 16 games will, imo. They just punish teams that went on a hot streak with this rule.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
This is a little off topic but is anyone else a little annoyed by the current draft ranking process?

If you are going to give the team with the worst regular season record the best chance at getting the 1st overall pick, then lets stick with regular season records for all 30 teams. Where you finish in the playoffs should be irrelevant to your rank in the draft. You have a sample size of 82 games in the regular season as opposed to the 16 win tournament in the playoffs... doesn't it make more sense to use the larger sample size (ie - the regular season) to determine where you draft?
I agree partially. I'm annoyed, rankings should be changed every round.

There is no consistency as is.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:44 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
We had a terrific run during the playoffs and I'm proud of our team for having done that. It was a great ride!

Now, thanks to a Detroit Red Wing pushed change in the draft order, we will now pick 27th.

In the past (before the present system), teams would draft according to where they finished during the regular season. Of course there were positives & negatives to that. On the positive side, regular season stats were a better indicator of a team's strength relative to all the other teams in the league. It didn't take into account runs like our team and the Flyers had in the playoffs. The downside is that, for high finishing teams who got bumped out early in the playoffs, they still had to pick late in the rounds.

The reverse is obviously true with the present system. If a team sucked during the regular season and has a 'magic/miracle' run like our team did, they have to pick late in the rounds. It doesn't really take into account the relative needs of each team.

So far as I understand, Ken Holland (or one of those Detroit guys) pushed for it because Detroit was always finishing high during the regular season but getting bumped out too early for their liking. So, they succeeded in having this change brought in. That's too bad, really.

Now, our team which has a lot of holes gets to pick 27th while the Capitals, a loaded team, gets to pick before us. Only one pick, I know but, if one takes into consideration the fact that the Canucks, the Sabres, the Devils, the Bruins, etc, had more successful seasons than us, they still get to pick ahead of us (the Bruins 15th... sheeshhh....)

In any case, 27th pick... crud, what possibility is there of getting a goodn (ie - impact) player at that spot.

In the last 15 years, here's the 27th pick:

09 - Carolina - Philippe Paradis (too soon to tell)
08 - Washington - John Carlson (could be a really good one here)
07 - Detroit - Brendan Smith (?)
06 - Dallas - Ivan Vishnevskiy (?)
05 - Washington - Joe Findley (???)
04 - Washington - Jeff Schultz (OK, I guess...)
03 - Los Angeles - Jeff Tambellini (?)
02 - San Jose - Mike Morris (????)
01 - Philadelphia - Jeff Woywitka (?)
00 - Boston - Martin Samuelsson (????)
99 - New Jersey - Ari Ahonen (?????)
98 - New Jersey - Scott Gomez (very good one here!)
97 - Boston - Ben Clymer (OK, I guess...)
96 - Buffalo - Cory Sarich (OK...)
95 - Ottawa - Marc Moro (????)
94 - Calgary - Rhett Warrener (OK...)

So, we see that there were two really good ones (Carlson might be good in the long run... we'll see). A handfull of OK picks and a whole lot of questionable to REALLY questionable to 'What were we thinking?' picks.

For Montreal this year - 27th pick...., I just can't get very excited.
maybe you should had also list the 28th, 29th and 30th picks who were also available (and were possibly as good or superior to 27th)

There is some very good players who were drafted at those positions. (Green, Perry, Kronwall)

This year might be different because it is not a very deep draft. But you never know. That pick could become better than many of our lower picks in recent years. You could even get a PK Subban .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
That rule is ********. Why doesn't it work both ways? If the #1 team loses in the 1st round why don't they move up in the draft? The regular season is 82 games and will tell a lot more about a team in terms of talent than a potentially magical run of 16 games will, imo. They just punish teams that went on a hot streak with this rule.
Totally agree !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
maybe you should had also list the 28th, 29th and 30th picks who were also available (and were possibly as good or superior to 27th)

There is some very good players who were drafted at those positions. (Green, Perry, Kronwall)

This year might be different because it is not a very deep draft. But you never know. That pick could become better than many of our lower picks in recent years. You could even get a PK Subban .
Actually, this draft is pretty deep. Next year won't be though.

There will be many interesting players who will be taken between the 25th and the 45th pick. A few of them will become gems. Hope we'll pick one!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:55 PM
j52

Timmins has in mind a goalie who plays in a high school league in Fargo, so whether it is number 27 or 1, what difference does it make? Or scouts are no better than the clowns in T.O.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
BulldogFever

I like the Leafs comment!

It could be much worse. Pitlick, Toffoli, Nelson, Coyle, Tinordi are all guys that could be available here. Not a homerun but a solid NHLer at worst. 27 isn't exciting but it's the price to pay for going deep.

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Timmins is looking at a defenseman form some American university or a russian player that wont come over.
Well , Nelson played for some American High School team from Minnesota the last 2 years so he fit the bill.

But seriously , at #27 we don't have much to lose but i'd rather take Martindale over Nelson. I'm not exactly a fan of drafting guys who play 30 games a year in American high school/university leagues where hockey is not the primary focus. We already have Leblanc , Fischer , Kristo , Bennett and a couple of other guys like that in our system. Time to change the formula and mix it up a bit imho.

Now of course that doesn't mean that they won't become good players because of that but i think we should have a little more variety and cover all of our bases.

Bronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:39 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post

I'm fully aware that superb players have been picked farther down in the draft.

It's my hope also that we will get one of those players who, like Richards or Subban, Green, etc. will develop much more than was expected.

Nevertheless, when I watch the draft on TV, I'll find it somewhat disappointing that we have to wait till 27th to pick. It just feels so 'late'. At least we don't have to pick 29th like the Flyers would have - had they not given it to the Ducks.

I've been a fan of the Canadiens since 1960 so, I'm not one who is liable to be negative about my team. I've stuck with them through the fat years (late 60's and the 70's) and the lean years (1980 till now) and will continue to do so for as long as I breathe.

It's just... darn... 27th? Sheeshhhhh... I just can't get excited about that.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:04 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Bah, so far Timmins has trouble with early to mid 1st round picks, perhaps he'll fare better with a late one ? And anyway, I just got the feeling PG's gonna move, up, down, whatever...

L4br3cqu3 is online now   Reply With Quote