HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Habs Lounge and Le Cabaret, Episode X: The Journey Continues

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Wow, i dont know what "buddah" your smokin man, but i want 2 of it.

take it easy lol.. while most of what you said IS correct, itll never change.. these are/we are habs fans, we wont ever be happy or patient or take it easy on players until that CUP, is back where it belongs.
Only then will we all live in harmony, i cant even imagine what that day will be like, but if i know the boards, there'll be SOMe people *****ing about how we should of won the cup in 5 instead of 6...

Old
09-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
1. One-Way Contracts: This has literally been going on since I signed up. There is one main difference between a two-way contract, and a one-way contract:

A ONE WAY CONTRACT MEANS YOU GET PAID THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY IN THE NHL AS THE AHL.

That is the ONLY difference.

-IT HAS NO EFFECT ON WAIVER ELIGIBILITY.
-IT HAS NO EFFECT ON SENDING A PLAYER DOWN.
-IT HAS NO EFFECT ON THE SALARY CAP.

Just because a player signs a one-way contract, does not mean they can't be sent down, nor does it change anything. It is an incentive to sign a lower contract. IT IS BENEFICIAL, not detrimental. Darche can be sent down, just like Pyatt and any other contract on the team.
Hate to nitpick, but this isn't strictly true.

If a player makes over roughly 100k in the AHL, he is subject to re-entry waivers when he comes back up and the team is stuck with half his cap hit if they ever try and get him back.

Practically speaking, that means anyone on a one way deal is automatically going to have to face re-entry waivers.

Thus, Darche can be sent down, but if we do, we cannot call him back without losing him at half price and being stuck with an unpleasant 300k on the cap. Obviously the rest is all correct as far as him going down (we'd lose him if someone claimed him, but no cap issues). But unless there is an emergency, if he gets sent to Hamilton on anything other than a conditioning assignment, he's useless to the team for the year, whether or not anyone claims him. The team likely wouldn't risk losing the player and paying his salary (and cap hit).

Thumbs up to the rest, especially the prospect vs. veteran rant!

Old
09-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Sick post Buddah. I approve this message.

Old
09-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 356
I approve of this thread. Well said sir.

Old
09-28-2010, 05:35 PM
One Trick Pony

This thread gave me an HFBoner

Old
09-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

I think the fact that the NHL 11 thread was the most massive thread of the new season says EVERYTHING you need to know about the "reality" of HFboards.

Great post by the OP.

Old
09-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Andy

No man, you can't leave! Great post, I'm guilty about the prospect thing at teams(depends the prospect), but ****ing great post.

And you gone for a year, this board loses even more of it's rationality.

Old
09-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

As usual, agreed 100%.

Enjoy your travels buddah, and hit us up with some updates once in a while if you can! If nobody cares but me, then drop a PM when you can, I'm interested to see where your adventure takes you. Enjoy!

Old
09-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Chomsky

Still doesn't change anything anywhere, but I'm glad this made you feel better.

Old
09-28-2010, 05:59 PM
TankEller*

This post should be stickied.

Old
09-28-2010, 06:04 PM
rotoc

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/forums/29

If you want to watch the game from South Africa!

Old
09-28-2010, 06:08 PM
coolasprICE

everywhere buddah inspired rant

Old
09-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

great post especially part 2 and 8

Old
09-28-2010, 06:17 PM
terreur

One of the best post I had to read on HB. Good job Buddha

Old
09-28-2010, 06:21 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
One of the best post I had to read on HB. Good job Buddha
Same here.

Buddha is probably the most under rated regular on this board. He's a straight shooter and more often then not he's spot on with his rants and his views.

It's unfortunate you won't be on here for the season, however I hope you have a great time and keep us posted whenever you get the chance.

Old
09-28-2010, 06:26 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoc View Post
http://www.myp2pforum.eu/forums/29

If you want to watch the game from South Africa!
Unfortunately I won't have access to quality computers(hostel and internet cafe computers, especially in SA, typically blow hard). But when I do find a quality one, I will try to stream a few games. I imagine I will see about 10-15 games this season. Bringing my lap top isn't really the brightest of ideas either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Hate to nitpick, but this isn't strictly true.

If a player makes over roughly 100k in the AHL, he is subject to re-entry waivers when he comes back up and the team is stuck with half his cap hit if they ever try and get him back.

Practically speaking, that means anyone on a one way deal is automatically going to have to face re-entry waivers.

Thus, Darche can be sent down, but if we do, we cannot call him back without losing him at half price and being stuck with an unpleasant 300k on the cap. Obviously the rest is all correct as far as him going down (we'd lose him if someone claimed him, but no cap issues). But unless there is an emergency, if he gets sent to Hamilton on anything other than a conditioning assignment, he's useless to the team for the year, whether or not anyone claims him. The team likely wouldn't risk losing the player and paying his salary (and cap hit).

Thumbs up to the rest, especially the prospect vs. veteran rant!
Well this is certainly true, I don't see it as a big enough detriment to make such a fuss about it. There are around 18-20 NHL caliber players on an average NHL team with one way contracts, while having a couple journeymen, some older prospects, and your best prospects(that are signed) on two way contracts. If you have the depth in the organization, you should have amble ability to fill the spots the way you wish, in lieu of maybe having to send a one way contract down. What I mean is, if you send down Darche, and you don't want to bring him back up, we have 5-6 good candidates to fill that position with ease that are not eligible for waivers if needed. In addition, if you say send Darche down half way through the season, and call him back up with 2 months to go or something, and he gets claimed on re-entry, then you only pay what, 150K to the cap as a punishment, and that's only if he does indeed get claimed. Further, correct me if I am wrong, but you can also call up anyone without waivers at the end of the season for the playoffs? There are ways to get around these things. Not to mention that these types of players are on one year contracts, so the overall risk is very minimal. Lastly, if need be, you can always trade these players if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Still doesn't change anything anywhere, but I'm glad this made you feel better.
Well you never know. Maybe today someone will be about to post some ridiculous notion about Moen being traded to make room for White and will refrain because they remembered my post. Probably not, but you got to start somewhere.

At least its fun to read/write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
As usual, agreed 100%.

Enjoy your travels buddah, and hit us up with some updates once in a while if you can! If nobody cares but me, then drop a PM when you can, I'm interested to see where your adventure takes you. Enjoy!
I'll stop by for sure. I need some kind of outlet for my addiction to hockey.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone, really appreciate it.

Old
09-28-2010, 06:30 PM
TomPlex

Halak is so much betterz than Price. What a stupid thread!

Old
09-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Halak is so much betterz than Price. What a stupid thread!

Don't you have some penalties to take?

Old
09-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Okay, well, there are a few things that REALLY grind my gears
You know what really grinds my gears? This Lindsay Lohan. Lindsay Lohan with all those little outfits, jumping around there on stage, half-naked with your little outfits. Ya know? You're a... You're out there jumping around and I'm just sitting here with my beer. So, what am I supposed to do? What you want? You know, are we gonna go out? Is that what you're trying to - why why are you leaping around there, throwing those things all up in my, over there in my face? What do you want, Lindsay? Tell me what you want? Well, I'll tell you what you want, you want nothing. You want nothing. All right? Because we all know that no woman anywhere wants to have sex with anyone, and to titillate us with any thoughts otherwise is - is just bogus.

Old
09-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You know what really grinds my gears? This Lindsay Lohan. Lindsay Lohan with all those little outfits, jumping around there on stage, half-naked with your little outfits. Ya know? You're a... You're out there jumping around and I'm just sitting here with my beer. So, what am I supposed to do? What you want? You know, are we gonna go out? Is that what you're trying to - why why are you leaping around there, throwing those things all up in my, over there in my face? What do you want, Lindsay? Tell me what you want? Well, I'll tell you what you want, you want nothing. You want nothing. All right? Because we all know that no woman anywhere wants to have sex with anyone, and to titillate us with any thoughts otherwise is - is just bogus.
Say what?

Old
09-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Well this is certainly true, I don't see it as a big enough detriment to make such a fuss about it. There are around 18-20 NHL caliber players on an average NHL team with one way contracts, while having a couple journeymen, some older prospects, and your best prospects(that are signed) on two way contracts. If you have the depth in the organization, you should have amble ability to fill the spots the way you wish, in lieu of maybe having to send a one way contract down. What I mean is, if you send down Darche, and you don't want to bring him back up, we have 5-6 good candidates to fill that position with ease that are not eligible for waivers if needed. In addition, if you say send Darche down half way through the season, and call him back up with 2 months to go or something, and he gets claimed on re-entry, then you only pay what, 150K to the cap as a punishment, and that's only if he does indeed get claimed. Further, correct me if I am wrong, but you can also call up anyone without waivers at the end of the season for the playoffs? There are ways to get around these things. Not to mention that these types of players are on one year contracts, so the overall risk is very minimal. Lastly, if need be, you can always trade these players if possible.
All true and all fair, just saying that when some of the less brain damaged fans argue the one way thing, there is some logic to it. You could argue a few things:

1) Less likely for Darche to lose a spot as it will cost the team 450k or so.

2) A longer leash on Darche because sending him down could mean losing him forever.

Thus, Darche gets the benefit of the doubt over someone like White.

However, I think if they were both on 4 way contracts, a veteran has earned the benefit of the doubt, so good for him.

Old
09-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Say what?
Meh, not a fan of family guy, I see...

Here's another example :

You know what really grinds my gears? People in the 19th century. Why don't they get with the freakin program? It's called an automobile, folks. It's much faster than a horse!

Old
09-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Loner

Good post!! what about a section for the overuse of internet meme? It look like 75% of most thread are full of them. Funny the first time but not a couple of time per thread.

Old
09-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Good post!! what about a section for the overuse of internet meme? It look like 75% of most thread are full of them. Funny the first time but not a couple of time per thread.
...or incorrect "cool" use of English. If I see someone say something is "so full of fail," I will reenact a key scene from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Old
09-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Oh you party pooping, purse-snatching, humorless antropoid!

Closed Thread